Author Topic: Will there ever be another Cosby Show?  (Read 5692 times)

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
Will there ever be another Cosby Show?
« on: September 19, 2012, 08:50:47 AM »
For years during its peak, the Cosby show was the most watched show in America.  I was thinking about this and if it was possible for another all black show (not the NFL or NBA) to ever be #1 again the USA.

Most of the top networks barely even have shows with a black person in it, let alone a cast of all blacks.  What made the cosby show so famous?  Some would say it was a look at the life of a black family that caused interest, but Good Times came before that and so did Sanfor and Son.   So can this ever happen? 

Jaime

• Getbig V
  • North Pole, fucking elves left, right and centre.
Re: Will there ever be another Cosby Show?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 08:54:38 AM »
Lets hope not, too many Africans.
Trans Milkshake.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 08:58:44 AM »
Fresh Price of Bel Air was up there for a while right?  But yeah, I can't think of any off the top of my head that are now atop the ratings.  That's capitalism bro, you got to pander to your demographics, and whitey is still in the driver seat there for the next 20 or so years.  That being said, it wouldn't surprise me to see some bleeding heart, say it is racist to not have a show like that, and they green light some piece of shit and watch it burn.  Shit is so PC these days.  I saw a thing this morning that in Vermont, they outlawed a Daddy/Daughter dance because it was discriminatory.  Can you believe that shit?

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 09:08:06 AM »
^^^^
Lesbian moms probably complained.  Amazing how 1 person can complain and they cater to that person over the 1000 that eventually get screwed over.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 09:09:08 AM »
^^^^
Lesbian moms probably complained.  Amazing how 1 person can complain and they cater to that person over the 1000 that eventually get screwed over.
Thats always the way it is dude... the screaming minority takes precedence over the quiet majority.....

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 09:13:41 AM »
Always a Family Ties guy. The Cosby Show is OK but not in the same league, funny-wise.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 09:15:57 AM »
Probably not, black people-especially women (from the ratings) seem to be too hooked on stupid reality shows with trifling ass women on it, like Basketball Wives, Love and Hip Hop, Real Housewives of Atlanta.
Hell, there was/is little interest to see or rent Redtails.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 09:20:03 AM »
Probably not, black people-especially women (from the ratings) seem to be too hooked on stupid reality shows with trifling ass women on it, like Basketball Wives, Love and Hip Hop, Real Housewives of Atlanta.
Hell, there was/is little interest to see or rent Redtails.

Cosby made the attempt to raise black entertainment to another level of sophistication. What with him being a doctor and his wife a lawyer and his children being raised in a loving and classy household. Too bad the effort didn't hold. Today black entertainment has devolved again with the proliferation of rap, hip hop lifestyle and lowbrow reality nonsense.

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 09:24:24 AM »
cosby show was great.. saw it over here for years in prime time slot. fresh prince ruled too. that's always on some channel somewhere. genuinely laugh out loud quality comedy, plus hilary was just fucking beautiful too.

there was this other show set in a college. it was shite as i recall and didn't last long here... i think !

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 09:49:51 AM »
cosby show was great.. saw it over here for years in prime time slot. fresh prince ruled too. that's always on some channel somewhere. genuinely laugh out loud quality comedy, plus hilary was just fucking beautiful too.

there was this other show set in a college. it was shite as i recall and didn't last long here... i think !
Diff' World, and it lasted awhile. It was a good show...

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 10:09:40 AM »
Cosby made the attempt to raise black entertainment to another level of sophistication. What with him being a doctor and his wife a lawyer and his children being raised in a loving and classy household. Too bad the effort didn't hold. Today black entertainment has devolved again with the proliferation of rap, hip hop lifestyle and lowbrow reality nonsense.

Bill has always been a proponent of elevating the perception of the African American household and family. I think he did a great job providing an aspirational ideal.

In a sinister way, I think white people liked it because his portrayal of the black AA family most closely resembled a white middle-class ideal as well. Self-imposed white guilt allowed white middle-classes to "get in touch with blacks" without really having to actually get in touch with reality. But that's TV...never reality.

Let's not forget, too, that Bill produced and aired the show during his hey-day as a comedian/actor. He was the cock of the walk in those days and at one point, was the highest paid entertainer, period.

The show had an excellent sense of humor too, and Bill provided everyone with an ideal on how the father figure in any family would like to perceive himself (and how women wished their husbands would act), which allowed him to cross several demographics. Standard family problems were tackled in a friendly way and wrapped up neatly in 22 minutes.

I doubt folks would tune in to a folksy sitcom these days in any serious numbers. The closest I see today is a show called "the Middle"...yes it's white, but it borrows from the plotlines of the Cosby show.

I really liked what he did with the show. He does not get enough credit today.

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 10:12:04 AM »
BET (black entertainment) does not want another cosby show, they want ghetto black hoes/wigga bitches beating their brains out instead

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 10:13:12 AM »
Diff' World, and it lasted awhile. It was a good show...

Different World took it to a darker level (pun intended)  Cosby show had about 10% black attitude while DW was about 90%

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 10:17:33 AM »
Tyler Perry needs to weigh in on this....not sure if he'll allow it.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 10:21:06 AM »
Different World took it to a darker level (pun intended)  Cosby show had about 10% black attitude while DW was about 90%
Diff World was about life at a fictional HBCU. And Lisa Bonet (who has always been weird) still couldn't fit in.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 10:23:46 AM »
Cosby Show rocked!

My fave episode  ;D

:)

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 11:00:56 AM »
Fresh Price of Bel Air was up there for a while right?  But yeah, I can't think of any off the top of my head that are now atop the ratings.  That's capitalism bro, you got to pander to your demographics, and whitey is still in the driver seat there for the next 20 or so years.  That being said, it wouldn't surprise me to see some bleeding heart, say it is racist to not have a show like that, and they green light some piece of shit and watch it burn.  Shit is so PC these days.  I saw a thing this morning that in Vermont, they outlawed a Daddy/Daughter dance because it was discriminatory.  Can you believe that shit?

Oh please  ::) blame it on whitey! Have you looked around lately? Its black culture, hip hop, everywhere, from commercials too. Whites are not in power it's Jews thought you would know my liberal minded friend

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 01:16:33 PM »
Bill has always been a proponent of elevating the perception of the African American household and family. I think he did a great job providing an aspirational ideal.

In a sinister way, I think white people liked it because his portrayal of the black AA family most closely resembled a white middle-class ideal as well. Self-imposed white guilt allowed white middle-classes to "get in touch with blacks" without really having to actually get in touch with reality. But that's TV...never reality.

Let's not forget, too, that Bill produced and aired the show during his hey-day as a comedian/actor. He was the cock of the walk in those days and at one point, was the highest paid entertainer, period.

The show had an excellent sense of humor too, and Bill provided everyone with an ideal on how the father figure in any family would like to perceive himself (and how women wished their husbands would act), which allowed him to cross several demographics. Standard family problems were tackled in a friendly way and wrapped up neatly in 22 minutes.

I doubt folks would tune in to a folksy sitcom these days in any serious numbers. The closest I see today is a show called "the Middle"...yes it's white, but it borrows from the plotlines of the Cosby show.

I really liked what he did with the show. He does not get enough credit today.

Cosby and Oprah are allegedly one of the reason's Chappelle quit his gig. Obama was in the pipeline and they believed the Chappelle show could hurt Obama's future as President.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 01:18:45 PM »
Cosby and Oprah are allegedly one of the reason's Chappelle quit his gig. Obama was in the pipeline and they believed the Chappelle show could hurt Obama's future as President.
COINTELPRO reported.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 02:05:10 PM »

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, 10:26:06 PM »
One of the 80's best sitcoms  :)

littledumbells

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2012, 05:28:06 PM »

Chappelles Show was pretty damn good. A shame he quit

littledumbells

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2012, 05:30:31 PM »
BET (black entertainment) does not want another cosby show, they want ghetto black hoes/wigga bitches beating their brains out instead

It gets viewers which in turn sell adverts, sad but true. The next thing might be a Mexican family, that or an Asian family with a tiger mom.Margaret Cho as the mom

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2012, 05:43:06 PM »
Fresh Prince of Bel-Air was AWESOME! :D Still makes me crack up every time I watch it :D

Black commedies are awesome, but there's been a few shitty ones in the past few years.

Dave Chappelle, Martin Lawrence, Will smith, Wayans twins all good actors. But I guess they made enough dough that they barely make anything

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2012, 10:20:24 PM »
Shows like Cosby and Roseanne connected on a visceral level with the American audience as they portrayed in a way(without the constant wit and hijinx) with how most Americans lived.  The Cosby show operated on a natural level that you forgot it was primarily a black television show.  Very few shows can pull this off with it being almost entirely absent today.  Look at something like the George Lopez sitcom...every other line has him or a family member stating that yes...they are Mexican. 

The appearance of minorities, primarily blacks, in today's sitcoms appears forced.  They then are reduced to stereotypes, often single themselves out as being the minority amongst a primarily white cast, or are portrayed in overwhelming numbers as a hugely successful professional.  The average viewer is aware of this as nothing more than some sort of ass-backwards affirmative action to keep the otherwise unknown "civil rights" groups to keep quiet.