Author Topic: Cheap dumbbells?  (Read 3396 times)

BG27

Cheap dumbbells?
« on: November 21, 2005, 12:49:30 PM »
I wasnt sure which forum to put this in so I took a guess.. ive pretty much got everything I need for a decent home gym... cage, bench, olympic weight set, EZ curl, cable pieces, Dip station, back belt, dip belt, gloves and mirrors of course.. main thing ive been having issues with is finding dumbells for a decent price.. the rubber coated hex are what I wanted but they get crazy expensive.  The bowflex adjustable dumbells are real nice but again pricey.. where is a good place to get dumbells cheap?  Im at the point now of just trying to get the smaller put together kind and buying a lot of 5 and 10lb plates for them... thanks for any input!

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: Cheap dumbbells?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 06:55:35 AM »
check out www.ironmaster.com  or go to sports authority and buy some olmypic handle dumbells  you can buy a bunch of ten pound plates for them....

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 08:13:21 AM »
Don't know where you live but out here in So Cal we have weekly ad papers ( Recycler, PennyShopper, etc) which usually have bargins on exercise equipment/weights that peop[le want to get rid of. A lot of this stuff has been hardly used and the prices are pretty low. Garage/yard sell's are also another option. Can even run a add for DB equipment wanted. Just buying a set of DB handles will probable be the best idea in the long run. Whatever, Good Luck.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 06:21:45 PM »
congrats man that sounds great.
bodybuildersreality.com

freakfestMD

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 05:39:50 AM »
Aint cheap but damn do I luv my Powerblocs.  15 to 90 pounds that takes up the space of a typical lunchroom tray, easy to use, great feel.  When I first saw them I thought they'd be blocky and awkward to use, but they aren't and for some exercises, like flat flys and shrugs they ROCK.  Only drawback is that you probably shouldn't drop them to the floor after your set.  I lay a few cushions down under my bench and drop them onto that.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 08:52:40 AM »
Powerblocks are good.  Had mine for about 7 years now.

www.craigslist.com

Check this website for equipment in your area.  You may be surprised.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005, 08:34:51 AM »
The previous replies of Ironmaster and powerblocks are great choices.  They are expensive so it doesn't qualify as cheap dumbbells.  I would suggest getting dumbbell bars with spin collars from NY barbell and 1 inch plates.  Have a strong table about waist high.  I can make dumbbells to 90lbs very quickly.  Those cheap spin type dumbbell bars cost under $40 bucks for a pair.  You can get short ones from any sporting goods store but you need long ones.  NY barbell has three different sizes.

Also consider  hex dumbbells.  I know you're saying that's expensive but hear me out.  Buy pairs in 25,35, 45 and so on.  Get plate mates to make the inbetween weights.  They are magnetic weights that will go on the  25 pound bells to make 30 pounders.  If you shop around you could find hex dumbbells for around 45 cents a pound.  For $480 you can get a pair of hexs from 25 to 95 skipping every other weight jump.  For around 50 you can get the plate mates and have dumbbells from 25 to 100.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 06:58:19 AM »
That sounds like a pretty good idea.