Author Topic: Adding weight???  (Read 1831 times)

sketer

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Adding weight???
« on: November 21, 2005, 03:31:44 PM »
For some reason I am not able to add weight i am on flat bench press for example...Ok i am doing 115Lb and on the first set i do it 20 reps the for the next 3 sets i go 15 reps...But for som reason i cant seem to add weight mayb 2 weeks or a month later I feel I am not gaining stregnth can som1 tell me wats wrong...What kind of form should i use also...

Ledd

• Getbig III
Re: Adding weight???
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 06:42:32 PM »
You are spinning your wheels with that many reps bud.  Just a suggestion for reps (set/reps) Flat Bench: warm up/15, 1/12,2/8,3/6,4/4
                    Incline Bench: 4 sets 6-8reps
                   Decline Bench: 3 sets 6-8reps
You can switch up the last exercise with dips, or dumbbell flys or a few sets of pushups til you drop, or whatever feels best at that time.  One very important thing to remember is don't stop your repetitions just because you reach your goal number, push out one or two more if you can, next time just up the weight accordingly.  It takes consistent dedication to discover ones body.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Adding weight???
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 08:02:48 AM »
When you bench do you use a safety rack, Smith machine, power rack, etc? Or do you just lift from the rack holder's over your head with out a spotter? Can make a difference because some guy's haven't developed the confidence to use more weight without some sort of insurance of safety. (Let me add that by any account, benching alone with just a bench rack is a very, very bad idea) Even with good equipment or spotter a few will have a sence of failure when trying to add weight to the bar. And a few guy's I've met had a dread of lifting a weight overhead, like in the BB press (this can happen in the squat also, a heavy weight on the neck/shoulders some how brings fear). In my view, lifting is just as much a mental process as it is a physical one, maybe more so.

I'm not suggesting the above may be your problem, just an added thought. If your young enought and some what new to training  than the weight's/rep's you use should be going up each workout, at a steady pace. If all things being equal and you have the confidence and saftey equipment/spotter than do one warm-up set of 10-12 reps with a light bar. For the working set's drop the rep's between 6-9 for three set's of benches with a mediun hand spacing and two set's with a close grip, keeping the elbows close to the side. Don't add any other chest exercise for a while, not until you get use to regular BP'ing workouts. The weight on the bar should advance steadly from each workout to the next. Try twice a week workouts. If you feel your progress is not what you expect than only have one bench workout every 5 to 7 days.

I've read white paper's where men and women have gained strength   through controled weight training well into their 80's or more. So there's hope for all of us. Good luck.