Author Topic: Apple stuff  (Read 857496 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Apple stuff
« on: September 22, 2012, 05:19:15 PM »

Big N

• Getbig V
  • Veteran Fella
Re: d
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 08:53:40 PM »
yes?
#

MusselFreek

• Getbig III
  • Go Beserk!
Re: d
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 08:56:49 PM »
Hey bay, what you think of iphone 5? any improvement over iphone 4s?

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: Apple stuff
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 09:33:28 AM »
Hey bay, what you think of iphone 5? any improvement over iphone 4s?

Sure it's an improvement: bigger screen and much faster LTE network.  I played with iPhone 5 in the Apple store a few weeks ago.  It is a solid phone as far as it goes, but I do not think it is a big enough of a leap to upgrade if one already has 4s.  In fact, I don’t think it is worth upgrading from 4 if you are happy with 4.  I have a 4 and unless I lose or damage it in the coming months I will keep using it until iPhone 5s.

Reviewers and Apple have touted the bigger screen.  A bigger screen is less impressive to me.  If I want to look at a bigger screen I will use my iPad.  I also think the iPad Mini is silly for the same reason.  If I want to use a smaller and more portable screen than my iPad I will use my iPhone.  Given the brisk sales of 7” tablets there is clearly a market for them, but I am not in that market.

You didn’t ask about it but let me weigh in on the new iMacs as well.  http://www.apple.com/imac/  Bay no likey!  >:(  I think losing the CD/DVD drive is a dealbreaker and I am glad I already have a previous generation 27” and 26” iMac with and CD/DVD drive.  I know Apple wants to move people away from disk drives, but the reality is people out there have tons of CDs and DVDs that they will want to rip.  One should not have to buy an external drive in order to do so.  Similarly, lots of people still want to burn their own CDs or DVDs.  The iMac is supposed to be a consumer friendly all in one solution.  Without a disk drive it is suddenly not so consumer friendly.  Apple should at least offer the drive as a choice for those consumers who want a drive with their machine.

Apple is bragging about how thin the new iMac is.  What exactly is the point of this?  Making it "thinner" makes it more likely to overheat in the long term (less air circulation).  The last time I checked, no one was complaining that the iMac is too "thick."  With the new thinner iMac Apple has come up with a solution to a "problem" that does not exist.  ::)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 09:14:16 AM »
It's enough to make you want to have a coupla babies.  :D
w

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 11:22:00 AM »
No offense to Motorola's Zoom, Samsung, or Google's Nexus, but one does not often see bad guys trying to steal their products.  :D

$1.5M in iPad minis stolen from JFK airport in 'GoodFellas' style heist
By Neil Hughes
A pair of thieves stole $1.5 million worth of Apple iPad minis from a building at New York's JFK airport that was also the site of a famous robbery in 1978.

Details of the valuable heist were revealed on Thursday by the New York Post. About 3,600 iPad minis that had just arrived from China were taken from one of the airport's cargo buildings.

That same building was the site of the 1978 Lufthansa heist in which $5 million in cash and $875,000 worth of jewelry were stolen — the largest cash robbery to ever occur on U.S. soil. That heist was featured in the 1990 film "GoodFellas" starring Ray Liotta, Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci.

The incident occurred this Monday, just before midnight, when a pair of thieves reportedly used one of the airport's own forklifts to steal two pallets of iPad minis. Not all of the shipments were placed on the truck, as the arrival of an airport worker allegedly forced the duo to leave three pallets behind.

Because the thieves arrived with an official JFK forklift, it's been speculated that an airport employee may have let them into the area near Building 261 around 11 p.m., and also let them out after the iPad minis were stolen.

Apple's iPad mini has a starting price of $329 for a 16-gigabyte Wi-Fi-only model. The most expensive option is the 64-gigabyte version with cellular data, which sells for $659.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 06:16:03 PM »
Bay,

As you seem to be tech-savvy, I thought you a wise choice to ask:
One of my co-workers also works for a physician who recently began using a type of backup battery for his iPad and iPhone. The Dr. claims it can completely charge his tablet and phone with juice left over.

The kicker is that the battery device transfers the charge in a very short time; in around one minute according to my friend. Are you familiar with any such backup device?
I was looking at the iSound 16,000 mAh unit, but the description makes no mention of a rapid transfer time. In fact, none of the devices I've researched do, and that's one of the primary features I'm interested in.

I've asked my friend to get some information from the Doc, but she always ends up forgetting!
Any help?

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 06:30:56 PM »
Bay,

One of my co-workers also works for a physician who recently began using a type of backup battery for his iPad and iPhone. The Dr. claims it can completely charge his tablet and phone with juice left over.

The kicker is that the battery device transfers the charge in a very short time; in around one minute according to my friend. Are you familiar with any such backup device?
I was looking at the iSound 16,000 mAh unit, but the description makes no mention of a rapid transfer time. In fact, none of the devices I've researched do, and that's one of the primary features I'm interested in.

I've asked my friend to get some information from the Doc, but she always ends up forgetting!
Any help?

I've never heard of it and I don't believe it exists.  I am not an engineer, but I do not believe we currently have the technology to recharge batteries--any batteries--in less than a minute.  I will be happy to be proven wrong.  If this device exists and is reliable it will soon be the wonder of tech universe so you should have no trouble finding it.  The fact that you can't find it suggests it is right up there with unicorns and the easter bunny.  :-\

Why doesn't your friend tell you then name of this product or give you a link to the company that makes it?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 06:59:15 PM »
I've never heard of it and I don't believe it exists.  I am not an engineer, but I do not believe we currently have the technology to recharge batteries--any batteries--in less than a minute.  I will be happy to be proven wrong.  If this device exists and is reliable it will soon be the wonder of tech universe so you should have no trouble finding it.  The fact that you can't find it suggests it is right up there with unicorns and the easter bunny.  :-\

Why doesn't you friend tell you then name of this product or give you a link to the company that makes it?

Eh, you know how some people are - "oh, sorry I forgot...I'll get it next time..." Then next time yields the same response.
Anyway, she said she thought the name started with an "L," and that he bought it at Best Buy for about $80 with his son's discount; it supposedly retails for $100 normally. I spent a fair amount of time on BB's site and turned up nothing.

I'll let you know here if I ever learn anything more.
Thanks for the input!

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 07:15:34 PM »
Bay,

Any help?

Is it one of these?

http://www.mophie.com/mophie-juice-pack-air-iPhone-4-4S-battery-case-p/1145_jpa-ip4-blk.htm

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 03:30:46 AM »
Is it one of these?

http://www.mophie.com/mophie-juice-pack-air-iPhone-4-4S-battery-case-p/1145_jpa-ip4-blk.htm

Not quite, but thanks for the info. Going by what my friend/co-worker said, this is a small rectangular box-shaped apparatus that sounds like a common external backup battery in description.

The item in your link is great, and I will likely get it, or something similar, once I renew my phone contract and get my 4S in the next month or so. My cousin's husband is a huge Apple mark, and I know that over the summer he purchased a case with built-in battery. It's probably the same product in your link, but I'm not positive; especially since I'm not familiar with many of the similar products out there.
I do know that he loves it, though. The only drawback is that it adds considerable weight to his iPhone, but I think that is to be reasonably epected for what it is.

I especially like this part:
The juice pack is rechargeable for over 500 cycles. (Full cycles, partial cycles don’t count as full. So, you can charge your juice pack 10% of the way 10 times before it counts as a complete cycle.) Don’t be afraid to top it off!

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 06:56:30 AM »
May I ask why you would buy a 4s in a month or so when the 5 is already available?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 01:58:46 PM »
May I ask why you would buy a 4s in a month or so when the 5 is already available?

Sure.
From the feedback I've heard, consumers were somewhat disappointed with the improvements of the new 5, and many do not feel it merits an upgrade if you're not presently due for one - particularly for owners of the 4S, which is typically considered an outstanding model even now.

My contract is up. With the current price of the 4S and my credit, I can purchase it for $50, and it will be eligible for software upgrades for the majoity of my 2-year contract renewal.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 04:40:50 PM »

Sure.
From the feedback I've heard, consumers were somewhat disappointed with the improvements of the new 5, and many do not feel it merits an upgrade if you're not presently due for one - particularly for owners of the 4S, which is typically considered an outstanding model even now.

My contract is up. With the current price of the 4S and my credit, I can purchase it for $50, and it will be eligible for software upgrades for the majoity of my 2-year contract renewal.

I'm not sure I agree with your reasoning and conclusion, but I understand it.  Good luck. 8)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 10:19:10 AM »
Is it one of these?

Okay, it turns out that it is a Mophie product she was thinking of; I just confirmed it now.
Either she mis-represented the rapid charge time, or I misunderstood it. She confessed it is not a matter of minutes, but IS considerably faster than conventional charging methods...whatever the piss that means.
Could that have something to do with the output Amp power? Neither of my degrees is in electronics. :-\

I'm eyeing up this bad boy: http://assets.dreamgear.net/sell-sheets/DGIPAD-4544.pdf

Anybody care to offer any other suggestions?

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 02:51:34 PM »
Bahaha:

I've had an iphone since the 3g, and had every single one up to 4s. However iphone 5 what a load of crap.

I got myself a samsung s3 and WHAT A PHONE!

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 01:35:09 PM »
8 Annoying iPhone Default Settings (and How to Fix Them)
by Jason O. Gilbert

The iPhone is a fine phone, but, like all fine phones, it’s not flawless.

Many of the default settings of the iPhone can be worrisome, imperfect, or downright annoying. Here are eight settings that I would change first thing to make your iPhone experience a bit more pleasant:

1. Stop telling people your email is “Sent from my iPhone.”
By default, any email you send from Apple’s Mail app will come with the signature “Sent from my iPhone” below your message. Maybe you want to signal your phone of choice in every email you send; if not, you can wipe this setting out.

Go into Settings, then Mail, Contacts, Calendars, and then scroll down until you see Signature. Tap that, tap the white box, and then delete those words until the box is blank.

Or you can write your own signature here!

2. Give yourself a distinctive ringtone.
In a perfect world, Apple would assign a random ringtone and new text message tone to each phone. Instead, everyone has the exact same notification sounds, which means that whenever you hear that Apple “Ding!” anywhere within a 40-foot radius, you go rummaging through your purse and pockets as though you just won the lottery and want to share the good news.

If you’re like me, however, the message is never for you. It was someone else’s phone. Boo.

Give yourself a distinctive notification sound so that you know when you, and not the hunky dude next to you on the bus, is receiving a message. Go to Settings, then Sounds, and then open up each important sound under Sounds and Vibration Patterns and choose something that is not “Opening” or “Note” for your sound effects.

3. Put all your Apple apps into their own folder.
There are certain apps on your iPhone that you can’t delete. Don’t invest in the market? Well, there’s nothing you can do about the Stocks app. Don’t play games? You’re stuck with Game Center. More of an Amazon Kindle person? Sorry; iBooks is here to stay.

While you can’t make these apps disappear, you can stash them away in a folder to reduce clutter on your home screen. Hold your finger down on one of the apps you want to hide until it starts shaking. Then drag it on top of another app you want to hide. This will form a folder, which you can name whatever you want. Drag all the apps you don’t care for, but can’t delete, into that folder.

They’ll still be taking up space in your storage, but at least you’ve removed them from your immediate line of vision, making it easier to find the apps you really need.

4. Make sure those apps don’t eat your data.
Another side effect of these permanent apps: They can eat up some of your precious monthly data.

Now, none of these are MB hogs. But why take the chance? You can choose to disable data usage over cellular networks for certain apps, meaning that they’ll connect to the Internet only over WiFi, where they won’t use your data.

Go into Settings → Cellular, and then flick the green switch off for any app you don’t want to use over your 3G or 4G. That could mean Passbook, Tips, Weather, or Music — or it could mean data-hungry Spotify, Foursquare, or even Facebook, if you’re trying to kick the habit.

You can also further tailor which of your apps automatically update on the background of your phone by going to Settings → General → Background App Refresh.

5. Cancel your credit cards.
iOS comes with an option to save usernames and passwords for websites you’ve visited, as well as credit card information.

By default, this is turned on; you’ll get a pop-up notification whenever you fill out an order form or a log-in field asking if you want to save that information.

This can save time, but it also might make you a little uneasy. And with good reason, some would say!

Good news: You can make the iPhone stop asking. Go to Settings, and then scroll down and find Safari (that’s your Web browser). Head into Passwords & Autofill and flick the green switches off for Names and Passwords and Credit Cards.

And voilà! Your little one will never purchase a race car on eBay again.

6. Do Not Track.
Websites, as you probably know, can track you around the Internet with cookies, even after you bounce off their page. They do this mostly to learn your habits and to serve more targeted advertisements.

Safari, your default browser, supports a privacy feature called Do Not Track, which stops this snooping behavior. (The Do Not Track setting is actually part of a mini privacy movement, which you can read about here.) By default, however, Do Not Track is turned off, which means that websites, well, Do Track. To stop them from tracking, go to Settings → Safari, and then turn on Do Not Track.

You can also go ahead and block cookies while you’re there, if you’re feeling extra privacy-conscious.

7. Protect your texts.
When you receive a text on your lock screen, the first few lines of the message are displayed under the recipient’s name. Sometimes texts are private and shouldn’t be displayed for anyone who glances at your phone to see. To change this, go to Settings → Notifications → Messages. Scroll down to Messages Options and toggle the Show Previews option off. Now, when you get a push notification, just the name of the person texting you will show up, along with the note “New message.”

8. Keep your battery juiced.
One of the major battery drainers in iOS 8 is the software’s parallax feature, which creates a foreground and background motion as you move the phone around. It’s pretty, but not worth losing your phone over while you’re out on the town. Turn it off by going to Settings → General → Accessibility. Scroll down until you see Reduce Motion, and turn it on.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2015, 09:12:42 AM »
Apple requests another $179 million in supplemental damages from Samsung
By Daniel Eran Dilger   

Three weeks after finally receiving $548,176,477 from Samsung over the South Korean company's infringement of Apple's design and technology patents dating back to a 2012 jury verdict, the iPhone maker has filed for another $178,659,870 in supplemental damages and $1,192,490 in interest payments.

The supplemental damages and interest come on top of the the original $548 million Samsung finally agreed to pay earlier this month.

The supplemental damages, compiled on Apple's behalf by CPA Julie Davis, relate to continued infringement by Samsung after the original jury verdict of willful infringement was first issued in August 2012, continuing through this spring, when Apple filed its motion for supplemental damages.

The figure is based on unit sales figures provided by Samsung of five infringing models (quite old Galaxy S II variants) that Samsung continued to sell after the verdict was reached over three years ago.

If Apple is awarded the full amount, it will bring Samsung's total payout for infringement to less than $750 million, far less than the profits it made over the past four years by studying Apple's designs and then documenting its process of "slavishly copying" them as closely as possible, despite being fully aware that those designs and technologies were ostensibly protected by patent law.

While failing to win its initial demands in a series of cases brought to U.S. courts, Apple has effectively crushed Samsung's infringement-based profiteering in the market place, delivering a series of high end products that customers have selected in preference to Samsung's, even when the latter offered major price discounts and free offers.

While Samsung has seen its phone and tablet profits implode over the past year, Apple reported September quarter profits of $11.1 billion, twice that of Samsung Mobile at peak-Galaxy and five times what it is now earning.

Over the last year, Apple's sales of iPhone 6 models have crushed every other flagship Android or Windows phone, allowing the company to gobble up 94 percent of all profits earned in the smartphone industry, despite having equal (or inferior) access to markets, carriers and distribution.

Samsung is now producing record numbers of low end phones, and is set to be among those most impacted by future predictions of slowing global demand for smartphones. Additionally, Apple has also cultivated a highly profitable iPad business and launched a new Apple Watch that has in its first year become far more successful than all of Samsung's various Gear watches sold over the past three years.

While Samsung and Apple remain each other's largest partners, with Samsung supplying vast numbers of components and providing large scale chip production for Apple, the company is expected to lose Apple's A10 chip production next year to TSMC. Apple is also appears to be continuing to explore alternative suppliers and vertical integration in ways that will devastate the steady business Samsung has relied upon for many years.

OB1

• Getbig IV
  • "Happiness equals reality minus expectations."
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2016, 08:14:27 AM »
Apple is overpriced crap.
Aka crApple.
©

Victor Venice Beach

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2016, 01:16:06 PM »
Aka crApple.

It is overpriced indeed. But for me it is company policy. Anyone got that iphone 7?
Any improvements, can it rival Samsung' s high end models?

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2016, 08:35:42 AM »
Apple products are designed for women and homosexuals, so they're def bay-likely

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2016, 06:36:54 AM »
Aka crApple.

Care to eloborate?

iOS is very smooth and works extremely well.  It's a matter of preference between that and the customization Android provides.

iPads, Apple TV, iPhones are all great products.
Y

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2016, 04:58:07 AM »
It is overpriced indeed. But for me it is company policy. Anyone got that iphone 7?
Any improvements, can it rival Samsung' s high end models?

I just ordered a 7+ at work (my job comes with a cell phone).  Will report once I have it.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2016, 01:52:35 AM »
I just ordered a 7+ at work (my job comes with a cell phone).  Will report once I have it.

One of the techs in my lab got one over the weekend and claims that the camera is superior to the previous model. She also said something else about it, but I didn't catch what since I tuned her out as I am apt to do.

Nice girl, but never shuts up.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2016, 05:42:39 AM »
I am not sure what is left to be done with phone cameras but they keep coming up with new stuff.  Personally I prefer to use a real camera... but toting a camera with you everywhere is not practical so it IS nice to be able to snap even mediocre photos at the spur of the moment.

A description of the new camera's attributes is featured in this video.

http://images.apple.com/media/us/iphone-7/2016/5937a0dc_edb0_4343_af1c_41ff71808fe5/films/feature/iphone7-feature-tft-cc-us-20160907_1536x640h.mp4