Author Topic: 425lb DL at 153lbs  (Read 12385 times)

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
Re: 425lb DL at 153lbs
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, 04:30:38 PM »
Are you saying Coach's lifts are as exaggerated as his political claims?

/cheap shot. apologies. not really.   ;D

This is an ego massage for the kid. Same with the box squats.

I'd love to see a side-view of the "below parallel" box squat.

I'd guesstimate 320lbs dead and 260lbs squat.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2012, 04:31:48 PM »
Did you 'soap' the 'stud' down later after the modified 'DL' ?
L

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2012, 04:46:04 PM »

I'd love to see a side-view of the "below parrallel" box squat.

Got it. Not an ounce of humour or irony. Dutch: through and through.  ;D

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2012, 04:48:05 PM »

I'd love to see a side-view of the "below parrallel" box squat.

His free squat will be higher.

http://www.westside-barbell.com/westside-articles/PDF.Files/05PDF/BOX%20SQUATTING%20BENEFITS.pdf
Y

Pericles

• Getbig II
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2012, 04:50:19 PM »
Why is he staring at the ceiling? Don't teach a neutral neck?

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2012, 04:51:26 PM »
His free squat will be higher.

http://www.westside-barbell.com/westside-articles/PDF.Files/05PDF/BOX%20SQUATTING%20BENEFITS.pdf

You mean higher than his box squat? Absolutely not in this case. I'd love to prove it, but then Coach would have to film the lifts and it will never happen.

Box squatting Westside style is mostly beneficial for suit lifting which doesn't have much to do with
regular squatting.

Metabolic

• Getbig IV
  • Team I Fucked Her Face
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2012, 04:57:40 PM »
Pretty rare when I use a straight bar DL on my athletes. We prefer trap bar.

Do your atheletes prefer tren ace or tren enanthate?

Also, why are your athletes pussies and use trap bars?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2012, 05:04:35 PM »
Lmao of what this thread has turned into. Lol Van, you're usually pretty good.bit you're waaaay off on this one.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2012, 05:06:02 PM »
Lmao of what this thread has turned into. Lol Van, you're usually pretty good.bit you're waaaay off on this one.

Film some lifts for me. :D

99 Bananas

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2012, 05:06:42 PM »
Being that short I'd imagine that guy has to look up to the average female. He won't recover.

I see it like this - him having any random encounter and it turns into this = hahahahahahahaahah

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2012, 05:21:06 PM »
You mean higher than his box squat? Absolutely not in this case. I'd love to prove it, but then Coach would have to film the lifts and it will never happen.

Box squatting Westside style is mostly beneficial for suit lifting which doesn't have much to do with
regular squatting.

Never read about the suit aspect, but what I've read that there's a certain weight correlation between the box and the competition squat.  The exact opposite of the trap bar lift.

Anyway, how do you know about this kid's particular squat?  What are you basing it on?
Y

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2012, 05:41:54 PM »
Never read about the suit aspect, but what I've read that there's a certain weight correlation between the box and the competition squat.  The exact opposite of the trap bar lift.

Anyway, how do you know about this kid's particular squat?  What are you basing it on?

I admit that I'm guessing here somewhat, but the guess is based seeing a lot over the years.
I'm assuming the kid box squats with a wider stance than he would do a "normal" squat. And hitting real depth on a box takes a lot of practise for most. Has this kid spent years box squatting and training his technique to hit a below parallel wide-stance box squat? Unlikely for a soccer player.

Yes, the box squat would be lower if one were doing an Olympic style squat, and deloading the quads before powering back up, but that's not how most of these kid "athletes" do it. More like bouncing back up. :D

The Westsiders mostly lift in feds where they wide stance squat to a shallower depth than in the IPF for example. The box squat isn't that popular in the IPF for a reason.

I'm guessing the squat here looks something like this. Slightly above parallel and "touch and go" technique. For someone who isn't a very experienced lifter, say a young soccer player, it boosts the loads you can use.

Or worse, like this. Double your loads.  :D

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2012, 05:48:24 PM »
I admit that I'm guessing here somewhat, but the guess is based seeing a lot over the years.
I'm assuming the kid box squats with a wider stance than he would do a "normal" squat. And hitting real depth on a box takes a lot of practise for most. Has this kid spent years box squatting and training his technique to hit a below parallel wide-stance box squat? Unlikely for a soccer player.

Yes, the box squat would be lower if one were doing an Olympic style squat, and deloading the quads before powering back up, but that's not how most of these kid "athletes" do it. More like bouncing back up. :D

The Westsiders mostly lift in feds where they wide stance squat to a shallower depth than in the IPF for example. The box squat isn't that popular in the IPF for a reason.

I guess I don't understand why he would do wide stances on the box, but then modify it when he squats "normally".   It sounds to me like he's hitting below parallel, and he's short, so, although I'm guessing too, I'm thinking he squats more than the 260 you guessed.  Plus, I'm guessing that since he's training with Coach, he's doing the exercise correctly.   Plus 12" box is pretty low.

Coach - how does his free squat compare to his 12" box squat.
Y

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2012, 05:59:28 PM »
I guess I don't understand why he would do wide stances on the box, but then modify it when he squats "normally".   It sounds to me like he's hitting below parallel, and he's short, so, although I'm guessing too, I'm thinking he squats more than the 260 you guessed.  Plus, I'm guessing that since he's training with Coach, he's doing the exercise correctly.   Plus 12" box is pretty low.

Coach - how does his free squat compare to his 12" box squat.

I don't even know if he does "normal" squats. You know how long it often takes to learn proper squatting technique before it's even smart to really start loading the exercise? Does the kid have the time, does Coach have the time to teach a kid to squat for months over months?

I mean, that's probably why Coach doesn't like regular deads. It takes so much drilling to teach someone to deadlift properly before you can really load the exercise. Trap bar, just squat the weight, try to take the back completely out of the exercise. :D

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2012, 06:33:18 PM »
I don't even know if he does "normal" squats. You know how long it often takes to learn proper squatting technique before it's even smart to really start loading the exercise? Does the kid have the time, does Coach have the time to teach a kid to squat for months over months?

I mean, that's probably why Coach doesn't like regular deads. It takes so much drilling to teach someone to deadlift properly before you can really load the exercise. Trap bar, just squat the weight, try to take the back completely out of the exercise. :D

I don't think it's a stretch to have learned proper squatting technique by age 20, especially if you're training with someone who teaches it for a living.

As far a the trap bar, I like it so much better that I bought one for my house.  I don't compete, but I do prefer to strength train, and I think it lessens the likelyhood of a biceps tear.  Plus, you can flip the thing upside down if you need the depth of a straight bar.
Y

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2012, 07:16:15 PM »
Not shit Coach, best lift in a powerlifting meet was 570# deadlift at 148# in Jackson Mississippi.

Trapper_Slapper

• Getbig IV
  • Clean and Jerks pull the bitches!
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2012, 07:28:09 PM »

I'm guessing the squat here looks something like this. Slightly above parallel and "touch and go" technique. For someone who isn't a very experienced lifter, say a young soccer player, it
boosts the loads you can use.

THAT ASS!!!

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2012, 07:52:54 PM »

I'm guessing the squat here looks something like this. Slightly above parallel and "touch and go" technique. For someone who isn't a very experienced lifter, say a young soccer player, it boosts the loads you can use.

Or worse, like this. Double your loads.  :D

You're assuming that we're doing a traditional 'westside" box squat. They don't (I do) when I refer to box squat for my athletes it is "touch and go" and in this case it was a legit 12" box, this insures that squat depth is met. We do take a little wider stance than normal to again, insure that posterior chain is being recruited. It's not much different than a "free" squat. Now, we do follow a westside TEMPLATE that's suited to our standards. ME Lower, ME upper, day off (soft tissue work, etc) speed lower, speed upper. Program varies as a season progresses.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2012, 07:59:02 PM »

regular squatting.

Lot's of NFL teams as well as college are following a westside template.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2012, 08:07:07 PM »

We assess everyone for squat using overhead squats with a PVC pipe. We check hips (depth), thoracic mobility, external rotation (shoulders), dorsi-flexion, vulgas/vulgam, foot pronation. If they can't do that or score low, of course it takes time. Not everyone can squat, not everyone is built to squat.....so they don't squat (with a spinal load) they will however goblet squat. It's a great way to correct a poor squat.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2012, 08:21:41 PM »
Why the preference for trap bar over straight bar?

We use trap on heavy days. Safer, less lumbar tension (less flexion). We use a straight bar on speed days using sub-maximal loads. They're not powerlifters so there are variations.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2012, 08:23:12 PM »
Why is he staring at the ceiling? Don't teach a neutral neck?

Yeah, we actually teach to keep eyes neutral....obviously he didn't listen. LOL

240_Iz_Nutz

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2012, 09:09:23 PM »
Trap bar deads in family/commercial type gym cause eyes to pop.  It is true there isn't much risk. Heavy and fun. You can either lift it, most of the time easily, or miss. You really can cause a bunch of potential injuries with a barbell.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2012, 02:19:12 AM »
Good lift considering it was 1840

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2012, 02:20:02 AM »
Nice 425lb pull after a 330lb 12" box squat at bodyweight of a whopping 153lbs!! He's a 20 year old soccer player..

fucker could probably tie his shoelaces standing up.