Author Topic: Boxing training ang goal!!!  (Read 3820 times)

furn

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Boxing training ang goal!!!
« on: November 23, 2005, 06:47:04 AM »
Hi guys!

I'm aiming to start competition in boxing, but i'm asking how many time should i weight-training with my boxing class?  I do three boxing class, tuesday, thurday and saturday for maybe 1h30 each time, so how many time should i train a week with that?

Plus, to be accept in the competition team, i must succes these exercices, so if you got any idea to help me to succed...you're welcome ;):

-50 push-up in 2 minutes
-80 sit up in 2 minutes
-9 chin-up
3,2 km in 13 minutes max

Any advice, comment to help me please ;D

thank you very much!!!

trulytoned

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: Boxing training ang goal!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 10:36:20 AM »
I was an ameteur boxer for 4 years, and first of all let me say the requirments that you mentioned should be easy to do if you are in shape.  If you cant meet the requirments id say your not ready to fight.  As for weight training, how much do you weigh? Boxing is all about weight classes and you want to be at the top of yours not at the bottom of another. If you weigh anymore then you should its just harder to stay conditioned. Unless your planning to move up in weight class or your just really fat i wouldnt train for more muscle, train more just to tone up and condition.  As for when to train it all depends on how hard your training and how fast you recover, you dont want to be in the ring for example with burnt out legs or shoulders, you wont be able to stand strong or hold your arms up. I think i pretty much answered everything, if theres anything else let me know.

Truly
big or bust

furn

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 12:05:36 PM »
Hi and thank for answer,

I'm 18 years old, i weight 165 lbs and i'm 5pi9 tall. Don't know exactly for my bodyfat, if someone can give me a good method/website to know this, let me know ;D

I was planning to do this like week training...comment please :)

Monday : Weight training + cardio
Tuesday : Boxing
Wednesday: Weight training + cardio
Thurday: Boxing
Friday: Weight training + cardio
Saturday: Boxing
Sunday : Rest

Does that look good?

Thank for helping :)

trulytoned

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 01:17:32 PM »
i would try to incorporate 2 days of rest because boxing is alot of cardio so really your doing 6 days a week of cardio.  and remember weight train for condition not for size.
Good Luck,
Truly
big or bust

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 02:03:29 PM »
One of the few things I wanna mention..

Don't start training benchpress, dumbbell presses and shit for the chest.

No chest training except those push ups IMO.

Focus training on the shoulders. Standing DB presses, will give you good training of the stabilizing muscles as well.

Back training is important, try DB rows or one handed seated pulley rows.

Make an effort to learn how to do cleans. Then start incorporating them as part of your leg and back routine. clean&jerks will work most of the body, give you strong legs, yet you'll stay explosive, imperative when being a boxer.

If there's any lifter/coach who knows Olympic Lifting in your gym, I recommend asking him for suggestions on how to approach learning the snatch and the CJ. Without this expertise, I think you should stick to only trying the CJ.

In a nutshell: Leg strength, shoulder strength and ab and back strength. Those are the areas to train when being a boxer IMO.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

trulytoned

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 09:04:51 PM »
Zack your exactly right
big or bust

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2005, 02:26:04 PM »
Use whole body routines for 2 or at the max three times a week.  The prior post about power clean and jerks is dead on.  You need to explode.  Boxing is exhausting.  Anyone who has boxed will never question the need for running.  Never lift to the point where it comprimises you're boxing training. 

furn

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2005, 03:08:39 PM »
Hi and thank for helping :)

What kind of exercice train the 'explosiness" that i should get in boxing?

How could i know the best bodyweight for me, because i don't know in which division to go, and i was planning to cut the best i can to gain mass after and cut again and etc....a good idea or not?

Thank again!!!

trulytoned

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2005, 08:45:07 PM »
well, if your weighing in at the bottom of your class, cut weight and go down a class, the one good thing about amateur boxing is that they usually pair you up with someone in the same experience level. You cant really decide where to go until your in prime shape and weigh yourself in. One thing i am gunna say is dont fight until your READY to fight, youll know when your ready, and dont get discouraged if and when you lose.
big or bust

furn

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2005, 06:01:09 PM »
Trulytoned

How many time it take you to be able to start amateur competition, and how old were you at this time? Because i want to start but i don't know if i'm going to fast.

thank you :)

trulytoned

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2005, 06:57:57 PM »
i trained for a while, a year maybe, i think i was 16 or 17 in my first fight. Im sure your coach will have an idea of when you ready, if your doing good in your spaaring matches.
big or bust

Dredlock Rasta

• Getbig III
  • Can't trust shadows after dark
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2005, 08:09:01 PM »
Stick to what your trainer says. If you want to be a better boxer you should focus more on drills and technique than weight training.
Don't let em fool ya

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 09:41:03 AM »
When I was fighting I was lifting every other day and this was my routine.

3x15  Bodyweight Dips
3x15  Shoulder Width Chins
3x6-10 Military Press
3x6-10 DB Curls
3x15 Explosive Squats
3x15 Explosive Leg Presses

I was on this routine with slight variations on it from about age 13-16.  I had to quit fighting after I turned 16 because my grades started to slip because I was obsessed with it, at least that's how my parents felt about it.

furn

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 05:26:00 PM »
You all started far before me...i start at 16 years old, i'm 18 now...hope i'm not too late.  And what was you diet look like when boxing?  I made a post on that in the nutrition section, but i don't know if i'm doing it right

trulytoned

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 11:04:40 PM »
to be honest i wasnt really on a diet i was young, just stick to low fat and high energy meals
big or bust

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2005, 06:38:07 AM »
Be sure to add explosive tricep excercises, the triceps are the arm extender-muscles and therefore important in boxing and other martial arts.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2005, 01:45:06 PM »
You all started far before me...i start at 16 years old, i'm 18 now...hope i'm not too late.  And what was you diet look like when boxing?  I made a post on that in the nutrition section, but i don't know if i'm doing it right

I always ate lots of steak, eggs, milk, pork chops, and fruit.  I'm not a big believer in lots of excess sugar.

Ahmster

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2005, 07:07:07 PM »
I had seen a strength routine supposedly followed by Tyson in which he did ten cicuits of the following 3 days a week:

1) Pullups 20 reps
2) Dips 40 reps
3) Shrugs (70lbs) 50 reps
4) Pushups 50reps
5) Situps 200 reps

Pretty typical of most boxers I train with except for the shrugs which he said gave him extra power in his punches. I would also add leg and calf work for stability and balance which is most important in the ring.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2005, 11:09:57 AM »
I had seen a strength routine supposedly followed by Tyson in which he did ten cicuits of the following 3 days a week:

1) Pullups 20 reps
2) Dips 40 reps
3) Shrugs (70lbs) 50 reps
4) Pushups 50reps
5) Situps 200 reps

Pretty typical of most boxers I train with except for the shrugs which he said gave him extra power in his punches. I would also add leg and calf work for stability and balance which is most important in the ring.

That is one of his older routines...he also did ALOT of neck training. i have some very good boxing articles at home about Cus and Tyson's training programs. i'll try to post them up later.

8)

furn

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2005, 04:16:56 AM »
Hi everyone and thank helping me :)

Does all those tips work for others martials arts too?  Because i'm going to start Capoeira this winter. ;D

For those who want to know what capoeira : http://www.capoeirabrasileira.com/load.php?lang=en&page=inicio

Do i need a different training for this one? A different diet?

Thank you :)

furn

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2006, 06:14:11 PM »
Hi everybody?

What king of exercices focus on balance?  I'm searching on the net but i'm not sure what's good...any thought?

Thank you!!!

FlexGuns

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2006, 06:48:55 PM »
you better start training harder and get some advice from some boxing trainers. Boxing traning is very different than bodybuilding. You need to go down to a boxing gym and workout there for awhile and have the boxing trainers help you. You better be a good boxer because if your competing at 160 pounds..you are gonna have some tough guys in the ring. Remember if your not training hard and being consistent..your oppenent is, so be ready!