Author Topic: Mentzer 1977 new pic?  (Read 13636 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: Mentzer 1977 new pic?
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2012, 07:23:55 AM »
Mike once wrote, that you can train your full body with squats, deads, chins & dips. The only thing I have against this, is that it will become boring after a few sessions.
I would replace chins with BB rows. Dips are a great chest builder for some. I do not believe however, they will build a chest like benches.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2012, 07:25:09 AM »
Arthur Jones looked like he weighed under 150 the majority of his life. They always drag out one picture in the past of him but during his Nautilus hey day I have yet to see any pictures that look like he even remotely trained. Some report he always liked to carry a gun and tried to intimidate those that he could.  Bill Pearl was one of the few that stood up to him.

Someone said a big muscle had bigger muscle fibers. Biopsies on bodybuilders have shown no difference in muscle fiber thickness from non lifters according to one study I read 20 plus years ago. Some believe bodybuilders have actually develop more muscle fibers in conjunction with the muscle fluid retension from steroids.

Lifting fast as in Olympic lifting is showing what power is about. Getting powerful is more important in athletics than strength.  

You have to qualify what getting stronger is. Is it that one rep max? That 8 rep max? Or is it the ability to increase the weight for say 3 sets of curls done in the same time frame? Anyone from Dorian down to the worse getbigger only has a limited amount of strength they can increase. After 2 to 3 years a  guy starting at 19 should be very close to his max. So if a 23 year old is using 405lbs for 8 reps in the deadlift as his max after 3 years of dedicated training should he bang his head against the wall trying for 410lbs with a cycle program? I would argue that he should develop a goal of increasing his strength endurance which he could improve on for a new goal.
what happend between AJ and Bill pearl?

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2012, 07:49:34 AM »
But I still think DKII is a European (German I think) who lives in Japan...

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2012, 10:33:50 AM »
Dips are superior to presses- they hit the triceps better with less (over)emphasis on front delts. I like the Dips/ Chins/ squats /Deads idea.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2012, 11:24:25 AM »
Dips are superior to presses- they hit the triceps better with less (over)emphasis on front delts. I like the Dips/ Chins/ squats /Deads idea.

And they provide a good stretch for your tris & chest. I've never had shoulder problems because of dips & decline presses, but flat or incline is a different story.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2012, 12:48:51 PM »
@ oldtimer

AJ claimed that he peaked out at a bodyweight of 205 with 17 and 1/8 inch arms at a height of 5'8" and at that time he could curl a 165 pound barbell for 10 strict reps til faliure, while benching 280 pounds for 10 strict reps til failure

Again, he has been in the public eye for many, many years and he always looked sickly to me. He even had a tv show devoted to wildlife prior to making it big with Nautilus. He also took place in the Colorado experiment but dropped out because he claimed he was sick. He weighted about 148 at the start of that "experiment."  I can pull out the the paper work for that if you want his exact weight.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2012, 01:05:12 PM »
what happend between AJ and Bill pearl?
Read "Beyond the Universe" by Bill Pearl. He has a whole chapter on their relationship. Basically he brought Sergio to Florida who many considered at the time the best bodybuilder ever to train on Nautilus. Pearl confronted Jones saying no one has ever been a physique champion from training on Nautilus. This made Jones mad that Pearl suggested that the Nautilus champions were physique champs prior to their association with Nautilus. Jones kept rubbing it in that Sergio would win the Universe against Pearl. When he showed him photos of Sergio prior to the contest, Pearl said in effect, he looks great but you look like shit. He said something about getting his gun and Pearl said if you do I will stick it up you ass and blow your brains out. For the exact Pearl account read his book.  When the Universe contest happened they were both roughly the same height with Pearl weighing more and being more ripped. Pearl won yet HIT followers state Oliva should have won. Oliva wasn't at his best.

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2012, 01:07:08 PM »
Read "Beyond the Universe" by Bill Pearl. He has a whole chapter on their relationship. Basically he brought Sergio to Florida who many considered at the time the best bodybuilder ever to train on Nautilus. Pearl confronted Jones saying no one has ever been a physique champion from training on Nautilus has won a major physique contest. This made Jones mad that Pearl suggested that the Nautilus champions were physique champs prior to their association with Nautilus. Jones kept rubbing it in that Sergio would win the Universe against Pearl. When he showed him photos of Sergio prior to the contest, Pearl said in effect, he looks great but you look like shit. He said something about getting his gun and Pearl said if you do I will stick it up you ass and blow your brains out. For the exact Pearl account read his book.  When the Universe contest happened they were both roughly the same height with Pearl weighing more and being more ripped. Pearl won yet HIT followers state Oliva should have won. Oliva wasn't at his best.

Meh, anecdotal evidence from a so-called vegetarian drug abuser.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2012, 01:11:25 PM »
Meh, anecdotal evidence from a so-called vegetarian drug abuser.
????? He was relating his first hand account of a conversation he had with Jones that would be accepted as testimony in a US court of law. I can't argue about the drug abuser remark. It is a sport based on drug use. No drugs and there would be no sport. He was a vegetarian. Why do you use so called? Very odd response.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2012, 01:16:13 PM »
When i spoke to Bill pearl on the Phone he was very polite...

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2012, 01:24:09 PM »
Bill Pearl is one of the few guys in this sport to make any real money. When he talks about training I listen.  His biography "Beyond The Universe" is near the top as one of the best bodybuilding related reads I ever got my hands on. He really has lived an incredible life.

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2012, 01:29:20 PM »
????? He was relating his first hand account of a conversation he had with Jones that would be accepted as testimony in a US court of law. I can't argue about the drug abuser remark. It is a sport based on drug use. No drugs and there would be no sport. He was a vegetarian. Why do you use so called? Very odd response.

Haha, I'm just bored bro  :D

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2012, 01:30:44 PM »
Bill Pearl is one of the few guys in this sport to make any real money. When he talks about training I listen.  His biography "Beyond The Universe" is near the top as one of the best bodybuilding related reads I ever got my hands on. He really has lived an incredible life.
On the phone he was a Gentleman and never spoke bad of anyone. AJ was extreme to say the least. I think Bill Pearl was a mans man and not soft so it could be true he told AJ the score.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2012, 02:13:10 PM »
Mentzer was, if not a genius a very smart man.   His popularity allowed so many people to have a life outside the gym and still be fit, well built and strong.

Bill Pearl is definitely a great man.  He lives near Medford, Oregon and the next time I visit my brother up there I will see if I can look him up.  My brother sees him in town once in awhile.  I have trained at Stern's Gym in San Diego where Pearl and so many other genuine greats worked out.  It is a great place full of history.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2012, 02:24:45 PM »
Mentzer was, if not a genius a very smart man.   His popularity allowed so many people to have a life outside the gym and still be fit, well built and strong.

Bill Pearl is definitely a great man.  He lives near Medford, Oregon and the next time I visit my brother up there I will see if I can look him up.  My brother sees him in town once in awhile.  I have trained at Stern's Gym in San Diego where Pearl and so many other genuine greats worked out.  It is a great place full of history.
Bill pearl is a real nice Guy. I really liked the way he was so down to earth and spoke very much like..yes a friend..not arrogant. He is to me a Mans man. Old school ex Navy Guy .

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2012, 02:28:30 PM »
Bill pearl is a real nice Guy. I really liked the way he was so down to earth and spoke very much like..yes a friend..not arrogant. He is to me a Mans man. Old school ex Navy Guy .

That he is and my brother said his wife was a real sweatheart.   Leo Stern trained him up early on and Bill was and remains a gentleman to this day.  Another great bodybuilder I have admired is Dave Draper, whom Pearl befriended early in Dave's career. 

And Mentzer?  I have seen him train in the late 70s.  He was great.  Never spoke with him but had the chance to speak with several other guys from that era and they were all nice guys, ready to help out if they could.  Times change, sometimes for the worse.

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2012, 02:34:39 PM »
mike was too much of a maginal for maNY.  HE GOT  his ideas from jones. he was robbed at mr olympia 1980 though not first but fifth was very low.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2012, 02:51:44 PM »
That he is and my brother said his wife was a real sweatheart.   Leo Stern trained him up early on and Bill was and remains a gentleman to this day.  Another great bodybuilder I have admired is Dave Draper, whom Pearl befriended early in Dave's career. 

And Mentzer?  I have seen him train in the late 70s.  He was great.  Never spoke with him but had the chance to speak with several other guys from that era and they were all nice guys, ready to help out if they could.  Times change, sometimes for the worse.
Good that you are here and can tell us some stories because there are a few guys on here, myself included who like old school training and Bodybuilders.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2012, 03:00:12 PM »
Again, he has been in the public eye for many, many years and he always looked sickly to me. He even had a tv show devoted to wildlife prior to making it big with Nautilus. He also took place in the Colorado experiment but dropped out because he claimed he was sick. He weighted about 148 at the start of that "experiment."  I can pull out the the paper work for that if you want his exact weight.

yep, i know all about the colorado experiment and AJ put on 15 pounds of lean muscle tissue in under 3 weeks time at the age of 48 or so