Author Topic: One Pound Bison Burger  (Read 8703 times)

Armani

• Getbig II
  • 161 confirmed kills and counting
One Pound Bison Burger
« on: October 07, 2012, 05:32:19 PM »
Lunch @ "The Counter": 1 pound bison burger, no bun, topped with goat cheese, boiled egg, avacado and mango habanero salsa!  yUM!

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: One Pound Bison Burger
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 06:31:20 PM »
Damn, your new girlfriend can really pack away the food!
What did you order?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 06:35:40 PM »
 ;D

Armani

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 12:36:00 AM »
;D

South American girls can really put away "meat."

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 04:11:01 AM »
looks fucking awesome

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 04:44:42 AM »
South American girls can really put away "meat."

I'm sure some of it is due to location, but you must teach me your methods.
 ;)

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 07:01:22 PM »
Goat cheese, boiled egg, and avacado have no business being on a hamburger.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 07:19:20 PM »

Blasphemy.

Armani

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 11:15:42 PM »

I don't know anout NO business.  That damn thing cost 20 bucks! Hahaha!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 04:05:40 AM »

outed for being Ronald McDonald

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 06:38:51 AM »
I don't know anout NO business.  That damn thing cost 20 bucks! Hahaha!

That's why you need to take up hunting! 8)
Or, at least befriend some hunters.

I've got a good bit of ground venison in my freezer from the first doe of this season. My cousin's husband also gave me about 20 lbs. of moose meat last spring. I burned through that pretty quick making numerous batches of meatballs, burgers, and chili. Moose is awesome!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 07:28:40 AM »
i love moose but i cut it 50-50 with pork (needs more fat)

Armani

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 08:56:10 AM »

That's why you need to take up hunting! 8)
Or, at least befriend some hunters.

I've got a good bit of ground venison in my freezer from the first doe of this season. My cousin's husband also gave me about 20 lbs. of moose meat last spring. I burned through that pretty quick making numerous batches of meatballs, burgers, and chili. Moose is awesome!

Love wild game.  There's restaurant in Malibu Canyon (site of the famed "Muscle Rock" where the icons of the 1970s muscle world were all photographed) called Saddlepeak Lodge.  My recommendations:

(1) Start with: Rabbit Roulade Wrapped in bacon with huckleberry, shimeji mushroom stuffing, sauteed fuji apples, and sage.

(2) Main course: New Zealand Elk Tenderloin with brandied cherries, cipollini onions, stuffed crimini mushroom and vanilla butternut squash (second choice: antelope "rossini" with pear, truffle, cauliflower and foie gras),

(3) Desssert (if you must): Chocolate Molten Whiskey Cake with guinness ice cream and bailey's whipped cream.

OR if you're around for happy Hour, they serve Wild Boar Grilled Ciabatta and Rabbit Confit Tacos

OR.... you can make friends with a hunter!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 09:29:28 AM »
I think that for dishes like those, you'd need to befriend a hunter AND a gourmet chef!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 09:33:00 AM »
i love moose but i cut it 50-50 with pork (needs more fat)

A lot of guys I know add pork to wild game for flavor and to keep it from drying out when cooking. Personally, I prefer the unadulterated taste of the game meats, but I will permit pork in venison breakfast sausage. Also, if my supply runs low, I'll add pork or beef to stretch out my freezer stock.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 12:11:03 PM »
? for hunters:  ~About how much meat do you get out of the average sized white tailed doe and ~about how much does it cost to process?  I'm thinking of buying someone's license for their 2nd kill.  Last time I checked, I think I figured it out to be some absurd $ per pound...
:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 12:39:46 PM »
? for hunters:  ~About how much meat do you get out of the average sized white tailed doe and ~about how much does it cost to process?  I'm thinking of buying someone's license for their 2nd kill.  Last time I checked, I think I figured it out to be some absurd $ per pound...

Most of the whitetail we shoot yield about 30-40 lbs of meat.

That amount really depends on the size of the deer as well as the location of the shot. I typically hunt archery, which preserves most of the edible return. A bad shot with a high-powered rifle can damage a portion of good meat like the blackstrap, hind quarters, etc.

Most butchers I know charge a flat rate for processing. I never learned to butcher properly and don't have the time now, so I wait for a decent-sized deer before taking aim. My family's uses three different butchers, and I believe they all charge around $50-$70 for standard processing.
Our bills are often a bit higher because we order sticks, jerky, smoked hind quarters, etc. All of that stuff is extra.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 12:53:02 PM »

Most of the whitetail we shoot yield about 30-40 lbs of meat.

That amount really depends on the size of the deer as well as the location of the shot. I typically hunt archery, which preserves most of the edible return. A bad shot with a high-powered rifle can damage a portion of good meat like the blackstrap, hind quarters, etc.

Most butchers I know charge a flat rate for processing. I never learned to butcher properly and don't have the time now, so I wait for a decent-sized deer before taking aim. My family's uses three different butchers, and I believe they all charge around $50-$70 for standard processing.
Our bills are often a bit higher because we order sticks, jerky, smoked hind quarters, etc. All of that stuff is extra.

Well that seems more reasonable.  I think someone told me something like $300 for processing  ::)
:

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 12:55:39 PM »
Well that seems more reasonable.  I think someone told me something like $300 for processing  ::)

way too much... shop around

you can also post on craigslist or kijiji for hunters who want to share their kills... you can often get half the kill for the cost of butchering (good deal as you do not pay for the license or need to hunt)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 01:06:03 PM »

Wow. Even if they got a bunch of specialty items like kielbasa and sausage, that still seems WAY too high. Either that, or somebody was price gouging or being quite dishonest with you.

I like the fact that the meat is hormone-free and (mostly) chemical-free. The farther away you hunt from developed land, the better/healthier the meat is in that regard.

Have you ever cooked with venison?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012, 04:39:32 PM »

Wow. Even if they got a bunch of specialty items like kielbasa and sausage, that still seems WAY too high. Either that, or somebody was price gouging or being quite dishonest with you.

I like the fact that the meat is hormone-free and (mostly) chemical-free. The farther away you hunt from developed land, the better/healthier the meat is in that regard.

Have you ever cooked with venison?

Yes, I cook with it all the time when I can get it.  My road kill chili is awesome!
:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2012, 05:00:48 PM »

Yes, I cook with it all the time when I can get it.  My road kill chili is awesome!

Okay.
If you're familiar with it, then you can better determine if the cost is worth it.

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2012, 11:50:15 AM »
I absolutely love bison, in fact, ground bison and broccoli is the go-to meal combination that I use to get ripped after a winter of getting pudgy from eating sweets and too many carbs.   Bison burgers though I find to be very dry. 

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2012, 01:26:27 PM »
I absolutely love bison, in fact, ground bison and broccoli is the go-to meal combination that I use to get ripped after a winter of getting pudgy from eating sweets and too many carbs.   Bison burgers though I find to be very dry.  

There are many things you could add to the meat before cooking to keep them moist.  Try a little bit of olive oil or some mushrooms that have been finely chopped in the food processor or a combination of both.  Of course minced onion would work.  An egg would help too.  Even a tiny bit of water can help.
:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2012, 01:55:39 PM »
There are many things you could add to the meat before cooking to keep them moist.  Try a little bit of olive oil or some mushrooms that have been finely chopped in the food processor or a combination of both.  Of course minced onion would work.  An egg would help too.  Even a tiny bit of water can help.

Yeah, especially if you're making burgers, egg yolks act as an excellent meat binder.