Author Topic: Rotator Cuff  (Read 2953 times)

Steve-O

• Getbig II
Rotator Cuff
« on: November 23, 2005, 12:40:06 PM »
Question for those of you who have or have had shoulder problems.

For about the last month, my shoulder has develped this "grinding" noise. As of yet, it is not painful at all, but certainly noisy.

It began happening only when I would do the barbell bench, but in the last week or so, it also grinds when doing dumbell presses, and even barbell curls with elbows locked into my sides when the shoulder does not move, only holds the load. It feels like small ball bearings stuck in my shoulder joint moving around. Not painful, but certainly distracting. My wife even heard it once and asked me what that was, she said it sounded like "tearing a chicken leg off a whole chicken."  :(

I have been taking glucosamine / chondroiton along with my other supplements for the last 11 months, but I fear this may be the beginning of something bad. At first notice of this noise, I cut out movements I thought would make it worse, like close grip bench presses, and pull downs behind the neck, (though I always stopped at the top of the ears, never all the way down).

For those of you who have had shoulder problems, does this sound like rotator cuff or something else? I'm doing my best to train around it, but I guess I'm just hoping its not what I think it is. I do not have a fear of going to the doctor, its just that it is not painful as mentioned before, only loud and distracting at this point.

Steve

bald

• Getbig IV
  • Squat Till You Puke!
Re: Rotator Cuff
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 01:02:15 PM »
Question for those of you who have or have had shoulder problems.

For about the last month, my shoulder has develped this "grinding" noise. As of yet, it is not painful at all, but certainly noisy.

It began happening only when I would do the barbell bench, but in the last week or so, it also grinds when doing dumbell presses, and even barbell curls with elbows locked into my sides when the shoulder does not move, only holds the load. It feels like small ball bearings stuck in my shoulder joint moving around. Not painful, but certainly distracting. My wife even heard it once and asked me what that was, she said it sounded like "tearing a chicken leg off a whole chicken."  :(

I have been taking glucosamine / chondroiton along with my other supplements for the last 11 months, but I fear this may be the beginning of something bad. At first notice of this noise, I cut out movements I thought would make it worse, like close grip bench presses, and pull downs behind the neck, (though I always stopped at the top of the ears, never all the way down).

For those of you who have had shoulder problems, does this sound like rotator cuff or something else? I'm doing my best to train around it, but I guess I'm just hoping its not what I think it is. I do not have a fear of going to the doctor, its just that it is not painful as mentioned before, only loud and distracting at this point.

Steve

I'd go get it looked at.  Somebody might have a similar situation, but it could be something totally different.

The should is an extremely complex joint, with all the tendons, legamints, and muscles it could be about anything.  If it is a rotator cuff problem, it could be one of five different muscles, and thats just if it is the rotator cuff.

Best bet is to have a doc look at it.
W

deliciousmoth

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 01:23:38 PM »
listen to bald...go get it looked at. even if you dont need surgery.....rehab can work wonders. its better to know and work toward injury workouts, then to wait till you HAVE to get it checked out! trust me on this one....i learned the hard way

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 02:04:29 PM »
as did I. I really hate going to the doc but you gotta. Rub A535 aint gonna cut it.
bodybuildersreality.com

Steve-O

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 02:47:19 PM »
Ok.

I'll go to the Doc after Thanksgiving week, see what he says. I'll post it here just for info. Thanks for the input.

Steve

XS

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 09:00:53 AM »
 SEE A QUALIFIED P.T./Chiro  PRONTO.  ICE/Heat

You need an overhaul my friend. Rotator cuff needs to be trained. If you are a standard weekend warrior type you have multiple imbalances.  Prioritize Back & Shoulders over Chest & Arms.   Stop all movements that cause acute pain.  Keep blood flowing to the area as much as possible. 

Now would be a good time to double up on your LEGS!!!!!

XS

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 08:00:45 PM »
Ditto..dislocated both shoulders (separate times) playing rugby and they weren't the same till I seen a PT.

Had me do band resistance exercises as well as swimming (freestyle, butterfly, backstroke)..did that for cardio for 2 months and was able to lift heavier ever since. (still makes the noise though)

Either way..you really need it checked out.