Author Topic: Woman forced to live with squatter? How stupid is this?  (Read 2383 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Woman forced to live with squatter? How stupid is this?
« on: October 12, 2012, 10:14:46 PM »
You break into someone's home over here you're probably going to get evicted with a bullet.  I've seen several stories like this lately... WTF?

Woman forced to live with squatter in her Detroit home

Heidi Peterson could not believe what was in her Detroit home when she returned after being away for a year.

A woman named Missionary-Tracey Elaine Blair was living there.

Blair refuses to leave the home, and Peterson doesn't have the means go elsewhere.

In a bizarre twist involving legal issues, both women are living in the same house: owner and alleged squatter.

"She thinks that this is a program in Detroit to take people's homes and fix them up, and then she gets to keep them," Peterson told MyFoxDetroit.

Peterson said Blair changed the locks, replaced the appliances and reworked the plumbing in the older home. Peterson purchased the home in the historic Boston-Edison neighborhood of Detroit for $23,000, she said. She left last year when it was in need of repairs.

Blair, a former tenant at Peterson's house, said she was evicted in February 2011. "We had to vacate because the boiler was damaged," Blair said. "I took all my books and my writings, but my (furniture was) still left in (there)."

Blair says she is not squatting and has a lease.

While a squatter has no legal right to the property, the homeowner cannot remove a squatter by force, MyFoxDetroit reports. In this case, as in many others, Peterson must prove she is the rightful owner of the property in civil court and then seek eviction.

In the meantime, Blair and Peterson are living under the same roof.

The video clip from MyFoxDetroit showed Blair had placed personal photographs along the fireplace mantel and changed the curtains in the house.

Peterson expressed concern about safety for her and her 1-year-old daughter.

"I don't know what her capabilities are," Peterson said. "We're afraid of her mindset of entitlement."

Blair, who is a write-in candidate for president, said, "I'm an advocate for affordable housing. That's a part of my campaign," she said."I signed an oath pledging that I would fight for affordable homes."

Squatting has been an issue in Detroit. One family recently bought a dream home on the city's west side only to find it stripped of copper, appliances and plumbing—allegedly by squatters.

cont... http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/woman-forced-live-squatter-detroit-home-170128148.html

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Re: Woman forced to live with squatter? How stupid is this?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 11:15:18 PM »
Blair, who is a write-in candidate for president."

Lol wat?

"I'm an advocate for affordable housing. That's a part of my campaign," she said."I signed an oath pledging that I would fight for affordable homes

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 11:30:53 PM »
LMAO @ write in candidate.   

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 06:13:41 AM »
You break into someone's home over here you're probably going to get evicted with a bullet.  I've seen several stories like this lately... WTF?

Woman forced to live with squatter in her Detroit home

Heidi Peterson could not believe what was in her Detroit home when she returned after being away for a year.

A woman named Missionary-Tracey Elaine Blair was living there.

Blair refuses to leave the home, and Peterson doesn't have the means go elsewhere.

In a bizarre twist involving legal issues, both women are living in the same house: owner and alleged squatter.

"She thinks that this is a program in Detroit to take people's homes and fix them up, and then she gets to keep them," Peterson told MyFoxDetroit.

Peterson said Blair changed the locks, replaced the appliances and reworked the plumbing in the older home. Peterson purchased the home in the historic Boston-Edison neighborhood of Detroit for $23,000, she said. She left last year when it was in need of repairs.

Blair, a former tenant at Peterson's house, said she was evicted in February 2011. "We had to vacate because the boiler was damaged," Blair said. "I took all my books and my writings, but my (furniture was) still left in (there)."

Blair says she is not squatting and has a lease.

While a squatter has no legal right to the property, the homeowner cannot remove a squatter by force, MyFoxDetroit reports. In this case, as in many others, Peterson must prove she is the rightful owner of the property in civil court and then seek eviction.

In the meantime, Blair and Peterson are living under the same roof.

The video clip from MyFoxDetroit showed Blair had placed personal photographs along the fireplace mantel and changed the curtains in the house.

Peterson expressed concern about safety for her and her 1-year-old daughter.

"I don't know what her capabilities are," Peterson said. "We're afraid of her mindset of entitlement."

Blair, who is a write-in candidate for president, said, "I'm an advocate for affordable housing. That's a part of my campaign," she said."I signed an oath pledging that I would fight for affordable homes."

Squatting has been an issue in Detroit. One family recently bought a dream home on the city's west side only to find it stripped of copper, appliances and plumbing—allegedly by squatters.

cont... http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/woman-forced-live-squatter-detroit-home-170128148.html

Detroit is one of those weird places where if you leave a property without notice for a period of time, its can be squatted in....same shit used to happen in Texas.
A

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • NO SUCH AGENCY
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 08:46:37 AM »
Seems like liberal paradise to me.

Better make sure I put bear traps, barbed wire and unfed Rottweilers around the perimeter of my property with tons of signs saying that I'm not home each time I leave the house for more than a few weeks at a time.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 12:00:10 PM »
Seems like liberal paradise to me.

Better make sure I put bear traps, barbed wire and unfed Rottweilers around the perimeter of my property with tons of signs saying that I'm not home each time I leave the house for more than a few weeks at a time.

The problem with that is some assclown is liable to get caught in one of those beartraps after illegally trespassing on your property, and file a lawsuit, ...which he will more than likely win, ...and end up owning your house anyway. It's ridiculous.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 12:07:57 PM »
There are similar laws in Jamaica, where if someone lives in your home without paying rent for a certain period of time, ...they get to own it.

Absolutely ridiculous. It makes it extremely difficult to be caring or compassionate for those less fortunate.

You may have purchased property in another country which you plan to one day live in upon retirement. You know of a good family having difficulty making ends meet, ...but they are good people who need shelter, and will take good care of your property in your absence, so you allow them a safe habitable place to live & raise their children rent-free, in exchange for looking after the property ...and the courts say they now own your house?!  ::)
w