Author Topic: How often do you mix it up  (Read 4375 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
How often do you mix it up
« on: October 13, 2012, 08:17:29 AM »
How often do you change your routine? How many Isolation moves have crept into your workouts?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: How often do you mix it up
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 09:15:30 AM »
Usually 6 to 8 weeks.  No such thing as a pure isolation movement. Do extension exercise, at times. Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 09:37:35 AM »
I do the same about every 8 weeks.. as a side note i found a definition of "Isolation" Exercises..simply put .. "Isolation" exercises are movements that involve one joint or one muscle group rather than multiple muscles and joints as in "compound" movements.  I tend to agree with this and sure you can't isolate 100% but there is a difference.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 11:25:36 AM »
Every 4th week, usually same moves just switch from bbell to dbs, etc.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 04:18:42 PM »
Every 9-12 weeks usually, if things are going great and I am still progressing and feel good I go 15.

As far as isolation work goes, I always include some curls, tricep extentions, calves, abs, hamstring curl/glute ham raise variations, back extentions, rear delt/upper back work.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 04:41:16 PM »
i rotate the sequence of movements weekly depending how i feel

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 06:15:40 PM »
i just make the workouts up as I go

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 09:54:13 PM »
For the last three weeks I've rotated weekly for the first time.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 01:24:58 AM »
i just make the workouts up as I go
and you work by "instinct" .. why not? and it works good for you?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 09:13:04 AM »
A one joint exercise is just that, a one joint exercise...not to indicated that any one targeted muscle group is being isolated, totally alone.  

You can direct the force of the workload (weight), to a greater degree, with extensions exercises, but individual isolation is not going to happen. Even with Preacher curls, the triceps and delts are still assisting with the curling it's self. If putting a muscle numbing agent into the triceps muscle group (keeping it from functioning), that Preacher curl would be hard press to complete a regular curl.

Working by instinct has it's good points.  . Given my choice, would rather do sets of 2 or 3 reps max. And do sometimes. But most guys just want to work pec's, arms and sometimes abs. Not that cool, really. Good Luck.

F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 09:22:44 AM »
A one joint exercise is just that, a one joint exercise...not to indicated that any one targeted muscle group is being isolated, totally alone.  

You can direct the force of the workload (weight), to a greater degree, with extensions exercises, but individual isolation is not going to happen. Even with Preacher curls, the triceps and delts are still assisting with the curling it's self. If putting a muscle numbing agent into the triceps muscle group (keeping it from functioning), that Preacher curl would be hard press to complete a regular curl.

Working by instinct has it's good points.  . Given my choice, would rather do sets of 2 or 3 reps max. And do sometimes. But most guys just want to work pec's, arms and sometimes abs. Not that cool, really. Good Luck.

Ok we can agree to disagree... the whole point is to train a muscle with "Minimum" assistance from other muscles.. sound better jpm101... ;) ?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 09:43:44 AM »
Donny...Not thinking we disagree all that much.

Pre- exhaustion might me another way is semi focus on a muscle group, as best one can. Extension movement followed by a compound movement for a selected muscle group. Like lateral raises followed by the press behind the neck, which can really hit the lateral head strongly. Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 11:24:53 AM »
Donny...Not thinking we disagree all that much.

Pre- exhaustion might me another way is semi focus on a muscle group, as best one can. Extension movement followed by a compound movement for a selected muscle group. Like lateral raises followed by the press behind the neck, which can really hit the lateral head strongly. Good Luck.
yes agreed...i understand what you meant and you are correct, when we do a barbell curl the Antagonistic muscle tricep is elongated and so our body works in harmony because we are not Robots ;D.. To a bodybuilder when he talks of an Isolation exercise he is talking about attaining a desired training effect..but you are perfectly correct my man in your comments ;) anyway JPM two heads are better than one...LOL

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 03:30:51 PM »
How often do you change your routine? How many Isolation moves have crept into your workouts?
as i've gotten older not as much when i was young i used to use the jcg 1001 exercise routine. the first couple of years....
F

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 07:43:05 PM »
as i've gotten older not as much when i was young i used to use the jcg 1001 exercise routine. the first couple of years....

How did these gentlemen train???  That's exactly the physique I'm striving for. 

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 01:30:44 AM »
How did these gentlemen train???  That's exactly the physique I'm striving for. 
Mainly full body 3 times a week or Upper/lower. No fancy stuff just hard compound moves. Squats ..Benches .. weighted dips and such. A lot at the time did 20 rep squats and pullovers. A good routine to get into it is Reg Parks Beginners Routine. I am sure it was on here one time and it could have been Funk who posted it..he is one of the old school fans too. Google Reg Park and you will find it. Reg trained in Leeds England as a young guy in a cold shed with candles for light with the bare bones. He still attained a great physique. One of the Greatest of all time.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 09:12:42 AM »
Grimek (right sitting) was an Olympic Lifter, and included some of those lifts in his BB'ing training. Sid Klein ( spelled wrong, no doubt) was and old time strongman, with a stage hand balancing act. The lady and others guy's.....don't know...but Funk51 would.

The K.I.S.S. training factor was used, for the most part, back then. And as Donny informed, pretty basic stuff and usually 3 times a week.  People, today, make working out way too complex.  And again, it's pretty simple stuff, really.

General rule of thumb was to begin workouts with the largest body parts and work down to the smaller ones: like...legs, back, chest, delts etc.  They didn't need a lot of exercises to accomplish all that. Pretty much, brief and to the point training sessions. Good Luck.
F

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 11:01:05 AM »
Thanks guys, really appreciate the information!!!!!!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 11:06:01 AM »
Thanks guys, really appreciate the information!!!!!!!!
It´s what it´s all about learning. We all learn every day.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 01:02:04 PM »
Grimek (right sitting) was an Olympic Lifter, and included some of those lifts in his BB'ing training. Sid Klein ( spelled wrong, no doubt) was and old time strongman, with a stage hand balancing act. The lady and others guy's.....don't know...but Funk51 would.

The K.I.S.S. training factor was used, for the most part, back then. And as Donny informed, pretty basic stuff and usually 3 times a week.  People, today, make working out way too complex.  And again, it's pretty simple stuff, really.

General rule of thumb was to begin workouts with the largest body parts and work down to the smaller ones: like...legs, back, chest, delts etc.  They didn't need a lot of exercises to accomplish all that. Pretty much, brief and to the point training sessions. Good Luck.
close sig instead of sid. guy with abs is harold zinkin jack lalanne's friend who marketed the universal machine. other two are les and pudgy stockton muscle beach fixtures.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2012, 01:29:58 PM »
pudgy stockton i saw in varies pics with Steve Reeves.. ;) ;)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2012, 02:46:23 PM »
pudgy stockton i saw in varies pics with Steve Reeves.. ;) ;)
;D
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2012, 03:10:27 PM »
nice pics  ;D

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2012, 09:36:40 AM »
Is this it?

Browse > Home / featured, full body / Reg Park’s Beginner Routine
Reg Park’s Beginner Routine

Reg-Park-and-Steve-Reeves

In modern bodybuilding, in my opinion the finest natural example of the perfect balance between aesthetic physique and phenomenal strength is the late Reg Park. Without Park, there would likely have been no Arnold Schwarzenegger. Reg Park was the inspiration for Arnold to pick up his first set of weights. Park won Mr. Britain in 1949 and although there were bodybuilders before him, his level of size and development raised the bar and would not be surpassed until Arnold himself appeared on the competitive scene in the late 1960s. he was 6′1″ and weighed over 250 pounds – standards which were enourmous for the time. Comparing the physique of Park to his predecessors would be like us comparing Ronnie Colman today to the bodybuilders of the 70s.

Reg Park’s Beginner’s routine below was the exact one used by Arnold in his late teens to get huge! Like Park, he trained at this routine 3 times a week and it comprised mainly of heavy compound movements done with the “5×5″ protocol. But unlike the more popular 5×5 we see in Bill Starr’s routine, Park (like Mark Rippetoe today!) advocated that sets 1 and 2 are to be warmups for sets 3,4 and 5. In other words once you hit your max weight for five reps after two warmups, then crank out 3 sets of 5. For example, say your bench press is a max of 225lbs for 5 reps (which is about 90% of 1RM), the first set would be at 60% – 135 lbs, then the next warmup set could be 80% – 185lbs.

Reg Park’s Beginner’s Routine
Workout A:
Back Squats 5×5
Chin-Ups or Pull-Ups 5×5
Dips or Bench Press 5×5
Barbell Curls 2×10
Wrist Work 2×10
Calves 2×15-20

Workout B:
Front Squats 5×5
Rows 5×5
Standing Press 5×5
Deadlifts 3×5 (2 warm-up sets and 1 “stabilizer set”)
Wrist Work 2×10
Calves 2×15-20

Training Schedule:
Week 1: A, B, A
Week 2: B, A, B
Week 3: A, B, A and so forth.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2012, 09:42:03 AM »
I'm going to try this, looks like exactly what I need. 

I've almost always done a Mon/Wed/Fri split.  Back/Bi's, Legs/Shoulders, Chest/Tri's.