Author Topic: ...  (Read 6448 times)

BigCyp

• Getbig V
Re: can you improve your squat strength by only doing leg press for months
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2012, 02:07:10 AM »

did he stares right into your eyes the whole time while doing those squats?

Hahaha

Moen

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2012, 02:20:35 AM »
that was bout 15 years ago brother, and i've only been in poland for the past 5 years or so

so can you hook me up with some hot belgium sluts if i make a trip on over there? you know that i like them slim petite girls, and i'm pretty sure that belgium has plenty of them ;)

parles-tu francais? ;D

With cheaper and probably prettier prostitutes over there, I wouldn't bother coming to Belgium. The women here are less pretty as well.

Wait some years until we have found the necessary Lebensraum in Germany and France and then visit us when we have more to offer.

At the moment, our country is even run by a homosexual.

VladimirVersic

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2012, 05:35:53 AM »
Maybe a little bit but leg press won't allow you to feel the weight on the back/shoulders and spine. Regardless of how heavy you go on the leg press, 405 pounds on the squat will still feel as heavy on your shoulders as it did before the months of leg press if not heavier.
X2

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2012, 05:45:14 AM »
Can you improve your slut game by standing in your bedroom for 3 months holding your cock in your hand?

Analbullshithalo is the type of guy who stands in the shower with his cock in his hand telling the guys he is ready to dispense the 'liquid soap' to any studs interested.

Moen

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2012, 05:49:39 AM »
Analbullshithalo is the type of guy who stands in the shower with his cock in his hand telling the guys he is ready to dispense the 'liquid soap' to any studs interested.

Serious chiro question for you, are you allowed to do manipulations on a fused spine like this one?

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2012, 12:16:52 PM »
what drugs are u guys on?

the legs bend and straighten. you increase your ability to do that with more weight and your leg press/ squat goes up.

besides, who cares?... put the same amount of effort into LP as you do squats and you'll grow..in fact your legs will respond even better cos you can concentrate your energy into only the quads/hams and not share it with lower back and trying to keep coordinated.

the thing most people do wrong with LP is they go too light and not deep enough...
lotsa people go super heavy and move it 1/4 or 1/2 range...waste if time.

then we have those who go super deep and too light and end up doing 20+ reps.

Go beyond parallel, stack on as much weight as you can do for 8-12 reps. not rocket science.

most people underestimate how much they can do for this, and instead of hitting failure right at 12 reps, they just stop..if u are doing that, you havent got enough weight on the machine.

an experienced gym rat should be using 600+ lbs depending on height/weight..

ive seen swimmers (actual competitive, national level) rep 660lbs for a couple at under 200lbs. not WR stuff, but these are guys who dont train for strength or size.

Squat is very much about the mechanics that you have genetically, LP removes alot of those limitations.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2012, 12:27:43 PM »
he was a stand out "tight end" lol at a major Ohio university, till the knee injuries and surgeries ended his football career :'(

he could also bench over 600 pounds with a pause at the chest, strict bp style 8)

yeah, the dude was a fucking beast... 6'2" 240 @ 12-15% and a handsome blue-eyed blondie to boot SLURP! :P

a 600 pause bench and 600 x 10 full squats at 240 and 6'2" sounds totally legit and not at all like something you just made up.

PNS, no, of course it doesnt work like that. I took a year off squatting and lost over 100lbs off my squat... while increasing my leg press.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2012, 12:29:38 PM »
with increasing weights all the time

then at one point you squat again and can actually squat more since leg strength improved?

possible?
Depend on what stage of development you are in. If you are a high school student and your max squat is 225 and then you only do leg presses for 5 years then of course you will be able to squat more, possibly 315 or even more, but if you are already at a squat of 400 and do leg presses for a year and come back to squats then no you will not be able to do more.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2012, 12:35:30 PM »
a 600 pause bench and 600 x 10 full squats at 240 and 6'2" sounds totally legit and not at all like something you just made up.

PNS, no, of course it doesnt work like that. I took a year off squatting and lost over 100lbs off my squat... while increasing my leg press.

i witnessed both lifts

you've heard of Westside Barbell right? it's in my home town of Columbus, Ohio, and i've seen many of them fellas from Westside train at World Gym, which is where i trained

also, saw Mike Francios training plenty of times

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2012, 12:37:58 PM »
Serious chiro question for you, are you allowed to do manipulations on a fused spine like this one?

Allowed?  Yes.  However, you can try all you want to manipulate that thoracic spine but if you say you move it...you are lying.  I had a patient who had Harrington rods from T5 - L2.  We could move the neck and low back.  Thats all.  Not much else is going to move.  

Regarding just the A-P film, I am not sure why they have the surgical assistance.  From what I am aware of, surgery should not occur in thoracic scoliotic curvature until its past 35 degrees.  Now, if that person had a wedge compression fracture, load compression, etc.  I can see the reasoning for it.  The left concavity in lumbar spine doesn't even appear to be all that bad.  Some pelvic unleveling is possible, but 100% diagnosing not possible unless the femur heads are shown on film.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2012, 01:51:26 PM »
Hahaha there are guys that do that in my gym. When they rack the weight after not actually pressing it they shake their head and do a "No not today, something doesn't feel right about the bar" expression lol priceless

lol. Classic. I've actually seen this shit myself.

Moen

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2012, 01:53:28 PM »
Allowed?  Yes.  However, you can try all you want to manipulate that thoracic spine but if you say you move it...you are lying.  I had a patient who had Harrington rods from T5 - L2.  We could move the neck and low back.  Thats all.  Not much else is going to move.  

Regarding just the A-P film, I am not sure why they have the surgical assistance.  From what I am aware of, surgery should not occur in thoracic scoliotic curvature until its past 35 degrees.  Now, if that person had a wedge compression fracture, load compression, etc.  I can see the reasoning for it.  The left concavity in lumbar spine doesn't even appear to be all that bad.  Some pelvic unleveling is possible, but 100% diagnosing not possible unless the femur heads are shown on film.

Thanks  ;)

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2012, 02:04:47 PM »
what drugs are u guys on?

the legs bend and straighten. you increase your ability to do that with more weight and your leg press/ squat goes up.

besides, who cares?... put the same amount of effort into LP as you do squats and you'll grow..in fact your legs will respond even better cos you can concentrate your energy into only the quads/hams and not share it with lower back and trying to keep coordinated.

the thing most people do wrong with LP is they go too light and not deep enough...
lotsa people go super heavy and move it 1/4 or 1/2 range...waste if time.

then we have those who go super deep and too light and end up doing 20+ reps.

Go beyond parallel, stack on as much weight as you can do for 8-12 reps. not rocket science.

most people underestimate how much they can do for this, and instead of hitting failure right at 12 reps, they just stop..if u are doing that, you havent got enough weight on the machine.

an experienced gym rat should be using 600+ lbs depending on height/weight..

ive seen swimmers (actual competitive, national level) rep 660lbs for a couple at under 200lbs. not WR stuff, but these are guys who dont train for strength or size.

Squat is very much about the mechanics that you have genetically, LP removes alot of those limitations.

On paper your statement makes a lot of sense. But it doesn't translate to real life ...If it only worked that way. Heavy squatting is more than just moving weight up and down. Its also psychological process. Quite squatting for a month or two months and your squat isn't going to be stronger when you pick it up again. If you quite the Bench Press for months at a time and stick to dumbbell bench presses and increase the weight in the dumbbell movement, when you go and bench again, your bench isn't going to be stronger than when you stopped benching. It doesn't work that way.

Moen

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2012, 02:08:42 PM »
If it only worked that way. Heavy squatting is more than just moving weight up and down. Its also psychological process. Quite squatting for a month or two months and your squat isn't going to be stronger when you pick it up again. If you quite the Bench Press for months at a time and stick to dumbbell bench presses and increase the weight in the dumbbell movement, when you go and bench again, your bench isn't going to be stronger than when you stopped benching. It doesn't work that way.

Psychological but also neurological. Hence why in a Smolov-routine they squat 4x a week. The more you practice a movement, the better you get at it. (or that's the reasoning at least)

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2012, 02:10:07 PM »
Psychological but also neurological. Hence why in a Smolov-routine they squat 4x a week. The more you practice a movement, the better you get at it. (or that's the reasoning at least)

Good point.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2012, 02:12:14 PM »
It's quite possible IMO. Maybe not the first workout you return to squats, but say after 2-3 workouts getting reaquianted with the squat, getting the nerves firing right, etc. Especially if you had years of squatting previous to this break... especially then. Once the movement is drilled into your nervous system it never leaves completely and comes back real quick.