Author Topic: American Muscle Cars age better than exotics?  (Read 29416 times)

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Re: American Muscle Cars age better than exotics?
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2012, 05:06:22 PM »
those ferraris in the background of the first pic have aged well, and probably are worth more than the Countach. Pininfarina's best work seems to have been from the early 60s to early 70s. After that it was hit or miss. Bertone and other designers have more awkward designs, no flow, and they don't age well.
Really? Im really not a fan of the old Ferraris... they look like some stereotypical little sporty euro econobox to me. Don't stand out at all.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2012, 05:16:12 PM »
Really? Im really not a fan of the old Ferraris... they look like some stereotypical little sporty euro econobox to me. Don't stand out at all.
They pretty much all had that bug eyed look, you know like American cars from the 50s all had the chrome and big front ends, then the tail fins.

But, the Ferrari 330 GTC and Steve McQueen's 275 GTB have a certain look to them. The fenders, the backside, and the wire wheels.
But, the front ends all have that stereotypical euro sports car front end. I guess it was the "in design" at the time, then they went to pop up head lights.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2012, 05:22:45 PM »
I think as far as American Muscle cars go, it's just that, the Muscle cars.  Look back on a 74 Mustang and tell me that shit is cool.  It isn't.  

74 was considered to be the end of muscle cars , rising gas prices and new emissions put a damper on big cubes and HP

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2012, 05:26:28 PM »

I think the old Ferrari's are among the best

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2012, 05:27:53 PM »
I think the old Ferrari's are among the best
Bottom one is cool, lots of similarities to the late 60's Stingray. Probably where Chevy got the influence.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2012, 05:29:09 PM »
Turbo V6.

20th anniversary Trans Am had that motor in it too, wIth even more boost.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2012, 05:30:37 PM »
Considered the last real muscle car

1974 Super Duty Trans Am , my sisters boyfriend had one took me for a hell ride for my 8th birthday

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2012, 05:41:41 PM »
There was a time when you could get an older Ferrari for under $20k, but now they are consider collector cars and the price has gone up big time.

A friend of mine bought a Ferrari and said it was a mistake.  That the day he drove it off the lot that he'd never get his money back on it.  That you can't drive it anywhere without fear of potholes, or parking it and getting dinged.  He basically cruises on Sunday's and that's it and eventually stopped driving it altogether.

I have an old Road & Track magazine from 1973 ( I think ) and they were selling a 1963 Ferrari 250 in the classifieds with a race history for $20K , one sold for $12 MILLION !!!! recently

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2012, 05:50:45 PM »
Bottom one is cool, lots of similarities to the late 60's Stingray. Probably where Chevy got the influence.
Notice the similarities? A Chicken farmer was giving the Old Man with the Red cars fits with this car. So bad, that he petitioned to have the Fords ruled unacceptabled.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2012, 05:52:48 PM »
Considered the last real muscle car

1974 Super Duty Trans Am , my sisters boyfriend had one took me for a hell ride for my 8th birthday
Poor motors were so crippled by the smog regulations by that point that they barely made any power.

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2012, 05:56:33 PM »
I notice alot of people who shit on exotics are the ones who have never even seen one in real life. to me Lamborghinis really have to be seen to be appreciated, its like they have an out of this world outrageous look to them and they cant be mistaken when you see one coming down the street, thats why the Countash was so acclaimed simply because it looked so wild. and It would be fcking hard for me to choose between a Diablo and a Hemi Cuda, I just dont think i could make a decision on that. dream of both.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2012, 06:00:25 PM »
I notice alot of people who shit on exotics are the ones who have never even seen one in real life. to me Lamborghinis really have to be seen to be appreciated, its like they have an out of this world outrageous look to them and they cant be mistaken when you see one coming down the street, thats why the Countash was so acclaimed simply because it looked so wild. and It would be fcking hard for me to choose between a Diablo and a Hemi Cuda, I just dont think i could make a decision on that. dream of both.
Saw them all the time in Houston. Lambo's, Ferrari's, Aston's....
If I wanted a road course car, I'd take a ZR1 anyday over any of the exotics. Then again, Im not trying to be a huge attention grabber... I tend to favor subtlety in my vehicles.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2012, 06:03:56 PM »
No, his question is do they age well. Outlandish designs rarely age well.
Look at the E60 5 series, and the 7 series to a lesser degree,  designed by Chris Bangle. They age terribly.
They look dated, and they are known for their "avant guard" designs---now they are known for their Bangle butt.

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2012, 06:09:50 PM »
Look at the E60 5 series, and the 7 series to a lesser degree,  designed by Chris Bangle. They age terribly.
They look dated, and they are known for their "avant guard" designs---now they are known for their Bangle butt.

its really amazing how outlandish style seems to fail over time, and the more subtle modest designs are really not effected by age nearly as bad. but I dont believe the 5 series is as terrible as you say, it was just slightly deviated is all.

Kulutues

• Getbig III
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2012, 06:44:57 PM »

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2012, 06:52:22 PM »
Dodge Charger - Hemi engine  - Richard Petty 200 wins no one else even close - I think nascar outlawed the Hemi cause it was so fast.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2012, 07:45:34 PM »
the countach looks better than any american car posted in this thread, i hope this helps

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2012, 08:27:27 PM »
the countach looks better than any american car posted in this thread, i hope this helps

The Detomaso Pantera that Kuluutes posted is American, and still looks badass...saw one about a month ago in black, looked mean.

BIG DUB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2012, 08:55:35 PM »
Agree, when i saw RAIN MAN a few months back again , i was like man fucking Lambos look like old rice rocket shit

Lambos never age..

quadzilla456

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2012, 10:17:20 PM »
Look at the E60 5 series, and the 7 series to a lesser degree,  designed by Chris Bangle. They age terribly.
Exactly. The Countach was just too wild looking and it looks dated. Less is more most of the time when it comes to design. As a kid I thought the Countach was the ultimate car. Now when I look at them they look unresolved and clunky.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2012, 04:31:22 AM »
Design is tricky, especially when you try to be avant-garde. It's difficult to strike that perfect balance that makes a design timeless. While I like the Countach's design direction (and what it evolved into with the Gallardo and the Murciélago) it's unlikely to be timeless but it is iconic.

If you want timeless consider cars like the Lamborghini Miura or the Ferrari 250 GTO.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2012, 04:41:14 AM »
The Detomaso Pantera that Kuluutes posted is American, and still looks badass...saw one about a month ago in black, looked mean.

American? You mean Italian with an American motor

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2012, 04:58:19 AM »
Agree, when i saw RAIN MAN a few months back again , i was like man fucking Lambos look like old rice rocket shit

Lol I never really thought about it til just now but if I seen a car like that pull up I would be like "Wait a second... That doesn't look nearly as cool to me as it did when I was ten years old"

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2012, 05:52:41 AM »
Lamborghini Miura is a timeless supercar

One of the best looking cars ever

Ferrari 250 GT SWB is another

But I also love the 69 Charger & the Cuda

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2012, 06:05:05 AM »
I would love to drive a Plymouth Barracuda 1970 but im afraid they all will laugh at me over here in the netherlands.... :-\ People who drive american muscle cars are usualy old geezers or gypsys.... :o

?