Author Topic: Why are bodybuilders obsessed with protein?  (Read 11556 times)

LATS

• Getbig IV
Re: Why are bodybuilders obsessed with protein?
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2012, 07:19:14 PM »
Well apes can still produce their own amino acid profile which we as humans have lost.. Same with cattle and numerous other mammals..

mantronik

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2012, 07:43:00 PM »
because i want an excess of amino acids to be available at all times in every single cell in my body so if there is ever an excess of calories then growth will occur and if there is ever insufficient calories then muscle loss wont occur. period.
x2

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2012, 09:30:24 PM »
Well apes can still produce their own amino acid profile which we as humans have lost.. Same with cattle and numerous other mammals..

interesting, where did you learn about this?

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2012, 04:19:29 AM »
Protein work; in my case:

-Same protocol (training/steroids)+ 200gr protein a day= Average results.

-Same protocol + 400gr protein a day= Incredible results.

Protein works for me.

I know some geneticaly gifted guys that get huge on a crapy diet, but that is rare.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2012, 04:41:25 AM »
I like protein but at times I don't feel like it.  I force myself to eat it half the time. 

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2012, 04:41:31 AM »
Protein work; in my case:

-Same protocol (training/steroids)+ 200gr protein a day= Average results.

-Same protocol + 400gr protein a day= Incredible results.

Protein works for me.

I know some geneticaly gifted guys that get huge on a crapy diet, but that is rare.

An extra 200 grams of protein is 800 calories. Maybe it is the extra calories that is responsible.

I stopped using protein powder and still was able to gain strength and muscle at a similar rate. Maybe steroids are needed to make use of the extra protein.

If only I could get back all the money I spent on protein powder over the years. Thousands of dollars down the shitter,

Many of the protein powders don't have the amount of protein as what is claimed on the packaging. At least you know what you get with food.

http://www.allthingsgym.com/2012/06/protein-powder-analysis/

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2012, 07:38:20 AM »
I have never heard that before. An ape can make protein out of plants and humans can't? Never heard that before. Plenty of really healthy people in the world that don't consume a high protein diet.

nefario

• Getbig III
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2012, 08:29:10 AM »
I have never heard that before. An ape can make protein out of plants and humans can't? Never heard that before. Plenty of really healthy people in the world that don't consume a high protein diet.

To be fair, humans can synythesise most amino acids de novo, just not the so-called "essential amino acids."  I'm no SMM, but I believe the other poster was right wrt apes (meaning they can synthesize all necessary amino acids).

the trainer

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2012, 09:05:42 AM »
High protein diets is a bunch of bullshit invented by supplement companies to sell more protein powder.

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2012, 09:09:21 AM »
High protein diets is a bunch of bullshit invented by supplement companies to sell more protein powder.

bingo

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2012, 09:16:53 AM »
which one youre interested in, left or right?
That's a bull not a cow.
And said breed of cattle, the Belgsn blue, is a result of a genetic mutation of the myostatin protein.

The quanity of protein is over-rated, not protein itself.
I've seen dudes who were locked up, and have a limited suppy of protein, but yet make great gains. The supps industry pushes the 1gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. You usually piss/fart/shit most of all that away.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2012, 09:30:52 AM »
I eat about 75g of protein a day.

Anglo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2012, 09:58:53 AM »

Cutler claims 600+grams daily

b-boy

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2012, 10:10:06 AM »
I don't eat as much protein as most bodybuilders my size. Most guys eat 8 ounces of cooked meat per meal as I only eat 4 ounces per 6 meals. I tend to eat higher carbs and carbs are protein sparring.
team b-boy

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2012, 10:40:26 AM »
Pearl looked fantastic not eating any type of meat. Just think of how much money they make selling whey protein.  That use to be the waste product of making cheese. Now it's an ultra expensive supplement.

When I reached a point in my early 20's where I could afford any supplement out there and I used everything. Now in my 50's I stopped using all supplements.

It's not ultra-expensive, anymore (at least, not if you stick primarily with whey protein concentrate...or wait until clearance sales hit  ;D ).

Best deal I ever got was the now defunct HDT's 5+1 whey protein for $10 (that a six-pound jug, hence the name).

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2012, 10:45:24 AM »

Hardly!! The old-school bodybuilder swore by high-protein diets. Most of them just either ate a lot of meat (Serge Nubret claimed to eat 8 lb. of beef a way, during a time where (he claimed) beef cost a fortune in France).

There were tales of guys, downing a gallon of milk a day (130 grams of protein, BTW), or carrying bags of boiled eggs so they could eat some every couple hours.

Old-school protein shakes were mainly just milk and eggs, blended together (which would tear you up if you're lactose-intolerant).

But claiming that high-proteins diets are BS, just to sell protein power, is well.......BS!!

Protein powders help, because they're portable, easy to consume (especially at work or school), and can help you ingest more protein than you can normally chew and swallow.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2012, 10:46:11 AM »
OK, I just got off a conference call with 73,216 winning bodybuilders from the past 47 years. I told them they were all wrong. They must return their trophies and delete their pictures from history.  Only Bill Pearl gets to keep his trophies and pictures.

Good luck with your bodybuilding while consuming 27 grams of protein daily, runts.

PS. I am available for fisticuffs at noon.
a

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2012, 10:54:08 AM »

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2012, 10:56:27 AM »
PS. I am available for fisticuffs at noon.

;D

maxkane69

• Getbig IV
  • PALUMBOISM DESTROYED BODYBUILDING!
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2012, 10:56:50 AM »
http://www.allthingsgym.com/2012/06/protein-powder-analysis/

This report analysis show one more time what kind of deceiving piece of shit is Rich Gaspari!

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2012, 10:58:04 AM »
;D ;D ;D

A guy who competes between 250 and 270 can't consume that much protein? Why is that?

Nicademus

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2012, 11:51:27 AM »
Protein powder is a life saver for me.  I get it at Sam's Club and it's worth every penny.

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2012, 08:36:18 PM »
Half a chicken a day and some milk has all the protein you'll mostly likely need to grow- unless your mega dosing anabolics.

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
  • Not sure if getbig full of trolls or trolls getbig
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2012, 09:17:15 PM »
YEAH

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
  • Not sure if getbig full of trolls or trolls getbig
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2012, 09:36:18 PM »
In the old days lifters would consume complete whole food products like milk and eggs and high protein was something you did temporarily as part of a high calorie lifting program like 20 rep breathing squats. The high calorie component of whole food eating was a limiting factor that prevented protein from being the dominant nutrient. People were consuming like 200-300 grams a day for a few months or so. Nowadays people are sucking down denatured cross flow whey protein mixed with lo-cal juice, and they are pulling in 300+ grams a day every day for the rest of their lives.

THIS. IS. WRONG.