Author Topic: How much do you front squat  (Read 7257 times)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
How much do you front squat
« on: October 22, 2012, 08:53:21 PM »
 ???
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Meso_z

• Getbig V
Re: How much do you front squat
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 03:42:15 AM »
Man, I used to do a lot of front squating 1-2 years ago. Like 3 plates for 6 deep reps. Nowadays, I dont know, maybe 2 plates for 6-8 reps... ;D ;D

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 08:32:55 AM »
About 80-90lbs less than regular squatting, the last time I did them..  The most powerful front squatters are the Olympic lifters. And usually from a very deep squat position (ass to the grass..indeed).  Seen some of them warmup with 300-350lbs. Get an advantage when the heels are raise, like with Olympic boots/shoes or placing a 2X4/plates under the heels for BB'ing purposes. Great focus on the quads.

Maybe Funk51 knows the world record for front squats?   Good Luck.
F

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 08:36:47 AM »
275lbs before they become 1/4 reps.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 08:46:40 AM »
About 80-90lbs less than regular squatting, the last time I did them..  The most powerful front squatters are the Olympic lifters. And usually from a very deep squat position (ass to the grass..indeed).  Seen some of them warmup with 300-350lbs. Get an advantage when the heels are raise, like with Olympic boots/shoes or placing a 2X4/plates under the heels for BB'ing purposes. Great focus on the quads.

Maybe Funk51 knows the world record for front squats?   Good Luck.
raising the heels in squats can cause negative stress for the knees. I myself used to do this and its very old school...for the worst. I squat always bare foot and no heel raise. Bodybuilders at one point in the Golden years of Bodybuilding even squated on their toes. I would always say squat flat footed. Barbell hacks are another example where old school guys raised the heels.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 09:21:24 AM »
I dumped 405 last night,  elbows dropped as I lowered. :-[
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 09:33:45 AM »
I dumped 405 last night,  elbows dropped as I lowered. :-[
That is heavy... i do not come near that. Do you do front squats for a reason or just part of your routine? They do hit the quads nice.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 09:44:39 AM »
A lot depends on the squatting style of the front squat, which may even increase the strength of the knee for some, when done correctly. If having a structural problem with the knees, than flat footed it is.( I also squat barefooted, which seems to give a better feel to the exercise...for me anyway.....always seemed to help with surfing, also) If setting the bar well on to the upper chest/shoulders, and elbows somewhat high, you are insuring a stronger base for the lift. Most BB'er seem not to get that important point. Only inviting lower back and knee problems with bad form.

BB Hacks are one of my favorite exercise. Think of it as a version of the DL, with the weight in better alinement with the spine/lower back and upper body and without having to work around the knees (for taller guy's the knees always seem to be a problem). BB Hacks will also give a better pump to the quads. Raising the heels allows better Quad recruitment and a better base for balance.  

But than again, help yourself to what every exercise you think you should, or should not, be doing.  Good Luck.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 10:13:08 AM »
315 for sets of ten many moons ago,never worked to limit on these. ;D joe meeko claimed singles with 600 lbs? who knows?
F

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 11:01:06 AM »
Working with 315 for 4-6 right now.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 12:00:28 PM »
That is heavy... i do not come near that. Do you do front squats for a reason or just part of your routine? They do hit the quads nice.
I switch up every few weeks. I'm good for 365 for 3-4 depending on how bad I'm choking. :D

They do feel different in the quads, not a bad different just different.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 12:04:54 PM »
front squats do have a place in training.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 12:09:58 PM »
I'm not the biggest fan of front squats but they're good to mix with back squats.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 12:19:03 PM »
I'm not the biggest fan of front squats but they're good to mix with back squats.
and i agree with you because front squats hit the middle and lower quads very well..back squats hit it all upper quads and hip area very good.

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 07:59:09 PM »
my front squat sucks...175lbs
T

vic86

• Getbig III
  • bring back the 80`s
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 05:19:14 AM »
225 lbs for 2 reps in clean grip :)

mdn250

• Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 04:19:53 PM »

What type of grip/stance do you find best? And I have never used but seen that manta ray thing that snaps on the bar..I used it for regular squats in the past but didn't need it..but the one for front squats might be cool.

MDN

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 01:41:18 AM »
I should start them again..although im working on 'breathing squats' right now.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 07:40:58 PM »
What type of grip/stance do you find best? And I have never used but seen that manta ray thing that snaps on the bar..I used it for regular squats in the past but didn't need it..but the one for front squats might be cool.

MDN

I use the arms crossed hands on shoulders, elbows up high grip. Not flexible enough for the clean grip.
Stance is a bit wider than shoulder, same as regular squats.

Never tried the manta ray, I  like to feel the steel. 8)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 08:27:33 AM »
135 max.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2012, 08:58:42 AM »
chaos beast ,,,i like them but 'choke'feel and balance makes them a tad awkward,,,i did them alot yrs ago,,,

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2012, 10:23:53 AM »
Front squats are a learning exercise, which requires a bit of time to get the correct form down.

Most BB'ers have a tight shoulder girdle, alone with triceps. The stretching of the elbows, triceps, delts and shoulder joints will adapt better  the more you practice the lift of resting the bar on the finger tips and front delts. As you advance, you can cross hands or do the hands free  (arms stretched outward and slighlty above.) I find no great advantage in doing them hands free, but does look somewhat cool to some people.

Start with a very light bar and try not advancing the weight too quickly at first. Want to get into the habit of the  bar within and resting on the front delts/upper pec's. May seem hard for the first couple of weeks but after that, can almost seem natural in a way. May also have to adjust the grip (middle-wider) depending on body type and the elbows. Want the bar setting correctly, else this great quad exercise loses a lot of it's value. Never lean forward when doing front squats, if you do than your using bad form or the weight is getting away from you or just too heavy to begin with. You can go very low in this exercise, though not always needed. Most BB'ers do a couple of inches below the 90 degree knee break. Can do bench front squats also, a very affected leg exercise.

Best single whole body exercise would be the squat clean (going very low) and jerk-press. Try that for 8 to 12 reps of 3 sets, if only having time for one exercise. Good Luck

F

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2012, 11:04:13 AM »
Guys with flexibility problems like to cross their arms but it's not as good as a traditional clean grip. One way to get around it is to use straps around the bar. Take your traditional straps and open them up. Loop them around the bar. Use an elbows up grip and grab the tails of the straps. This will allow you to keep your elbows high to create a nice shelf for the bar. Now you can go really deep and upright without dumping the bar.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2012, 11:07:38 AM »
Guys with flexibility problems like to cross their arms but it's not as good as a traditional clean grip. One way to get around it is to use straps around the bar. Take your traditional straps and open them up. Loop them around the bar. Use an elbows up grip and grab the tails of the straps. This will allow you to keep your elbows high to create a nice shelf for the bar. Now you can go really deep and upright without dumping the bar.

nice post.. clean grip is great and really i hold the bar on my front delts and my finger tips

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2012, 03:02:11 PM »
Tried them once, not a fan.
T