Author Topic: ZMA...Opinions?  (Read 18349 times)

suckmymuscle

ZMA...Opinions?
« on: November 27, 2005, 06:45:43 AM »
  So, what do you guys think of ZMA? Is it effective?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: ZMA...Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 09:03:02 AM »
  Effective for what?
This question comes up repeatedly. 
Is zinc a necessary mineral?  Yes
Is magnesium? Yes
Is B6? Yes
Are strenuous exercisers (like bbr's) usually deficient in them?  Yes
Is it gonna make you grow?  ::)
:

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 11:29:57 AM »
its effective as a sleep aid and in recover. butincreasing your test levels. i would say diff not.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 05:00:35 PM »
I took it for 4 straight months and I saw or felt nothing.....so i stopped wasting my money....I take vitimans everyday so i dont think im missing anything.
bodybuildersreality.com

suckmymuscle

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 06:26:35 PM »
  Effective for what?
This question comes up repeatedly. 
Is zinc a necessary mineral?  Yes
Is magnesium? Yes
Is B6? Yes
Are strenuous exercisers (like bbr's) usually deficient in them?  Yes
Is it gonna make you grow? 

Yes, but zinc l-monomethionine and magnesium aspartate, have a much higher bioavailability than regular zinc and magnesium. A study, done with NCAA football players, showed a 33.5% increase in free testosterone, and total plasma testosterone by 32.4%, after eight weights weeks, of taking it on an empty stomach, before bed. The whole thing is chelated, you know?

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 07:52:02 PM »
  Yes, but zinc l-monomethionine and magnesium aspartate, have a much higher bioavailability than regular zinc and magnesium. A study, done with NCAA football players, showed a 33.5% increase in free testosterone, and total plasma testosterone by 32.4%, after eight weights weeks, of taking it on an empty stomach, before bed. The whole thing is chelated, you know?

SUCKMYMUSCLE

There is no scientific evidence that ZMA has any effects beyond those of taking equivalent amounts of zinc, magnesium and vitamin B6 in any other form.

I am well familiar with the 8 week, 12 athlete "study" that was released in May of '99 claiming  ZMA increases anabolic hormones and strength  (conducted by L. R. Brilla, Western Washington University and V. Conte, BALCO).  That study was significantly flawed.  While the results show statistically significant differences between the ZMA and placebo groups, the beginning levels of zinc and magnesium in those athletes was already low.  Increased exercise increases the body's need for zinc & mag.  The fact that levels of zinc and magnesium dropped in the control group's blood shows that the increased exercise had the expected effect.  So both groups needed more of these minerals, probably even before the intensive training, but only one group got it.  High protein intake increases the need for B6, and zinc is particularly important for protein (muscle) synthesis.

In case you're unaware;  Victor Conte = Balco Labs = SNAC = the "original"  ZMA

:

suckmymuscle

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 09:41:50 PM »

There is no scientific evidence that ZMA has any effects beyond those of taking equivalent amounts of zinc, magnesium and vitamin B6 in any other form.

I am well familiar with the 8 week, 12 athlete "study" that was released in May of '99 claiming  ZMA increases anabolic hormones and strength  (conducted by L. R. Brilla, Western Washington University and V. Conte, BALCO).  That study was significantly flawed.  While the results show statistically significant differences between the ZMA and placebo groups, the beginning levels of zinc and magnesium in those athletes was already low.  Increased exercise increases the body's need for zinc & mag.  The fact that levels of zinc and magnesium dropped in the control group's blood shows that the increased exercise had the expected effect.  So both groups needed more of these minerals, probably even before the intensive training, but only one group got it.  High protein intake increases the need for B6, and zinc is particularly important for protein (muscle) synthesis.

In case you're unaware;  Victor Conte = Balco Labs = SNAC = the "original"  ZMA

Thanks for your input, PrincessL, but I disagree. I have definitely noticed an increase in acne-something I haven's have since I was a teenager-, and stronger hard-ons, since I started to take ZMA. Please explain to me, ho exacltly as that study flawed.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 11:00:38 AM »
  Thanks for your input, PrincessL, but I disagree. I have definitely noticed an increase in acne-something I haven's have since I was a teenager-, and stronger hard-ons, since I started to take ZMA. Please explain to me, ho exacltly as that study flawed.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

You asked for opinions on ZMA and if it was effective.  Then, when given an opinion, you defend the product with your ‘personal testimonial’.  If you feel a few more zits is an indication it’s working for you, great.  Keep spending your $$$.  It certainly isn’t going to hurt.  It’s properties are necessary for active people and weight trainers.  Just don’t be misled into thinking it’s increasing your test levels and making you grow.  BTW, there are other things on the market if you need help in the bedroom.

As far as the ‘study’ goes, the beginning levels of zinc and magnesium in those guys’ blood was already low.  Like I said, increased exercise raises the body's need for zinc and magnesium.  The fact that levels of zinc and magnesium dropped in the control group  shows that the increased exercise had the expected effect. So both groups needed more, but only one group got it.

Additionally, high protein intake (most likely consumed by those football players) increases the need for B6, and zinc.

Again, in case you're unaware;  Victor Conte = Balco Labs = SNAC = the "original"  ZMA

:

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 12:25:43 PM »

Ah yes, but there is much to be said about the mighty PLACEBO effect!  ;D
just not good enough

suckmymuscle

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2005, 09:24:54 AM »
  This topic should be a sticky...Mr.Moderator?

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Tubbs

• Getbig IV
  • Getbigger!
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2005, 10:51:50 AM »
One of those overrated supps; I don't think it's useless, just that it's not going to give you that extra edge as  the companies claim it does.

mar10s

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2005, 07:32:22 PM »
I hear you guys on not getting too much out of the ZMA...I will say this...when I do take it...I seem to have crazy ass dreams.  Now if it only would give me crazy ass results... ::)

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2005, 08:22:23 PM »
i feel you on that. i use to have dreams about doggs that talk to me. sometimes it doesnt even help me to sleep. bc im so damn hungry. i used to  take a shake or something without calcum and wait  90mins. But, i still get hungry where my stomach talks to me. i would say this, when i took zma i did gain some LBS. which for me is like pissin in the wend. mybe is that im asian and im in the early 20's

suckmymuscle

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2005, 09:02:09 PM »
i feel you on that. i use to have dreams about doggs that talk to me. sometimes it doesnt even help me to sleep. bc im so damn hungry. i used to  take a shake or something without calcum and wait  90mins. But, i still get hungry where my stomach talks to me. i would say this, when i took zma i did gain some LBS. which for me is like pissin in the wend. mybe is that im asian and im in the early 20's

While on zma, I had this dream where I could see the clouds moving, and they would change into all kinds of deformed images. Just fucking weird.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

suckmymuscle

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 08:12:46 PM »
  Guys, back to the topic of ZMA and testosterone. So...does ZMA raise it?

SUCKMYMUSCLE

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2005, 10:17:05 AM »
 just zma, No but i havent used the new zma with tibulus

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2005, 06:12:10 PM »

No.
Ron: "I am lazy."

suckmymuscle

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2005, 07:49:17 PM »
  ZMA does seem to raise free testosterone, in individuals who are severely depleted in Zinc and Magnesium...like most bodybuilders.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

King Kwert Konan

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2005, 03:40:36 PM »
I heard that ejaculation greatly reduced your zinc stores.

That might be why some people benefit so much from ZMA  ;D

I believe the magnesium is what is the most potent there. It's very often lacking in modern diet, especially in anybody who take dairy products that contain a lot of calcium which is not balanced by magnesium. Notice that most food contain little calcium and a lot of magnesium. In fact, I believe that the calcium RDA is a scam that profits the dairy industries a lot. Sorry, out-topic here. But come on, a lot of people in the world doesn't not drink any dairy products and yet they don't suffer from bone problems.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2005, 08:40:19 PM »
I heard that ejaculation greatly reduced your zinc stores.

That might be why some people benefit so much from ZMA  ;D

I believe the magnesium is what is the most potent there. It's very often lacking in modern diet, especially in anybody who take dairy products that contain a lot of calcium which is not balanced by magnesium. Notice that most food contain little calcium and a lot of magnesium. In fact, I believe that the calcium RDA is a scam that profits the dairy industries a lot. Sorry, out-topic here. But come on, a lot of people in the world doesn't not drink any dairy products and yet they don't suffer from bone problems.

We as a society contribute to our bone loss problems with a lot of the crap we eat and drink - dairy aside.
:

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2005, 08:27:09 AM »
  ZMA does seem to raise free testosterone, in individuals who are severely depleted in Zinc and Magnesium...like most bodybuilders.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

I feel like at this time of year it's a vital nutrient....You know how they put zinc in cold-eze and cold remedies?  Well, yeah.  Quit taking ZMA and got sick.  I'm going to start it back up again and see if i can shorten this cold.
:-)

1Fast400

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2005, 05:57:56 PM »
If you shop around you can find it for about 7 bucks per month supply. 

suckmymuscle

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2005, 01:56:47 AM »
If you shop around you can find it for about 7 bucks per month supply. 

Where...?! :D

SUCKMYMUSCLE

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2005, 10:31:03 AM »
I feel like at this time of year it's a vital nutrient....You know how they put zinc in cold-eze and cold remedies?  Well, yeah.  Quit taking ZMA and got sick.  I'm going to start it back up again and see if i can shorten this cold.

Same here.  My wife has and is just getting rid of a bad cold that kept her out of work for a few days.  The coughing and sniffling was the worst and she was full of mucus. Gross, I know, but I took 3 gr. or C divided into 3 doses, 400 iu's of E divided and ZMA at bedtime.  Everybody in the house was sick except me.  Was it the ZMA?  I'm pretty sure it helped along with the other anti oxidants, but I can't say if I got stronger.  It was worth it just to be able to get a good nites sleep and out of bed, unlike the rest of the house.  So I would give it a thumbs up as a good way to keep from getting a flu like severe cold.
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

1Fast400

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2005, 11:33:35 AM »