Author Topic: Zuver's Gym  (Read 85895 times)

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
Re: Zuver's Gym
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2012, 02:28:49 PM »
That name sounds very familiar. Was Eric also the artist behind the famous Zuver's Plates design?

Very good.
Eric Askew and Dad worked on the design of the Zuver's Hall of Fame Muscle Plates together. First a clay model then a aluminum mold, then the foundry in Bell Ca. I still have the original Aluminum mold used to cast the big plates.

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2012, 02:32:05 PM »
Very good.
Eric Askew and Dad worked on the design of the Zuver's Hall of Fame Muscle Plates together. First a clay model then a aluminum mold, then the foundry in Bell Ca. I still have the original Aluminum mold used to cast the big plates.

The iron man was a hit amoung all the lifters in the biz from the start.
If pop could only see what they have become now. This plate was re painted by me to the way I did them back in the day they first came from the foundry.

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2012, 02:36:13 PM »
If pop could only see what they have become now.

I still have a few around in my collection. These havnt been cleaned up yet. One day soon. You guys will see a compleat set finished.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2012, 04:00:23 PM »
Great thread...enjoying it immensly...

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2012, 04:19:15 PM »
Great thread...enjoying it immensly...

Thanks Donny
Hope more readers will take note. Ill be posting a lot more stories down the road if enough people are interested. I've been posting Zuver stories on Dave and Laree Draper's site for awhile now. You might like to check them out if you haven't allready. I have a new one coming up this week or next on there with lots of pictures .
Enjoy
RZ

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
  • KIM JONG IL ORIGINAL BEATIFULL MAN WITH GLASSES
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2012, 04:34:40 PM »
Looking forward for the stories rob

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2012, 04:43:14 PM »
Looking forward for the stories rob

Thanks MB
Ill be doing an Original WSM write up for you guys soon about the very first WSM Contest back in 1977.
With lots of never before seen photos. I think you'll enjoy it. This is just a sample pic.
RZ

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2012, 02:40:58 AM »
Thanks Donny
Hope more readers will take note. Ill be posting a lot more stories down the road if enough people are interested. I've been posting Zuver stories on Dave and Laree Draper's site for awhile now. You might like to check them out if you haven't allready. I have a new one coming up this week or next on there with lots of pictures .
Enjoy
RZ
Yeah i am on Dave's site but i must admit i am never on there, too much time here...lol. There are people on here who like the old school Bodybuilders and itīs great to read some stories. Stick around Getbig grows on you... ;D

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2012, 07:40:29 AM »
Yeah i am on Dave's site but i must admit i am never on there, too much time here...lol. There are people on here who like the old school Bodybuilders and itīs great to read some stories. Stick around Getbig grows on you... ;D

I try to share with all. Getbig is a fun place to post the past. I'm just telling the history of Zuver's from the past. I try to tell stories that haven't been told before. Old school still works today. There's room for both old and new. I'm glad to be a part of the Getbig BB family.
Thanks
RZ

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2012, 07:46:21 AM »

This is a picture of Eric Askew the artist that painted Zuver's Saga Of Bodybuilding. He is in his 90s now and still staying active.

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2012, 07:52:51 AM »
bob paris and frank richard.... final answer....????

Here is a hint to who the two guys were in the extra paintings.
One was known to all for many years. Even appeared on tv over and over agin.
Who know's there history?

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2012, 08:40:25 AM »
If pop could only see what they have become now. This plate was re painted by me to the way I did them back in the day they first came from the foundry.

Robert, those are gorgeous.
As a display piece, I like the blue & chrome ones that funk posted on the big board, but I would have loved to train with the black & gold edition!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2012, 08:41:49 AM »
This is a picture of Eric Askew the artist that painted Zuver's Saga Of Bodybuilding. He is in his 90s now and still staying active.

Was Eric a player in the iron-game?

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2012, 09:30:21 AM »
Here is a hint to who the two guys were in the extra paintings.
One was known to all for many years. Even appeared on tv over and over agin.
Who know's there history?
jack lalanne? never woulda of guessed it.
F

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2012, 09:31:27 AM »

Robert, those are gorgeous.
As a display piece, I like the blue & chrome ones that funk posted on the big board, but I would have loved to train with the black & gold edition!

Haven't seen the blue & chrome  ones you spoke of that funk posted. Would like to though if you could show me where they are posted.
Thanks
RZ

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2012, 09:33:51 AM »
jack lalanne and jack thomas two male models shot by russ warner before lalanne became famous lalanne tried to buy pics back because both guys were in their birthday suits.
F

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2012, 09:35:32 AM »

Very good. Guess the picture gave it away.
Email me with a mailing address and ill send you a set of the Zuver window stickers.
Thanks Bob Z.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2012, 09:38:25 AM »

i think i took pics  off ironhistory.com they might belong to richard sorin or else somebody was selling them on e-bay, at any rate i know richard sorin has some zuver plates.two  other sites to check out  are ironage.us.forum  and rawiron.com.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
Very good. Guess the picture gave it away.
Email me with a mailing address and ill send you a set of the Zuver window stickers.
Thanks Bob Z.
thank you. check out the aau mr america thread on here i put the whole history of contest with pics and commentary in the history thread will bump it to make it easier to find.
F

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2012, 09:41:14 AM »
jack lalanne and jack thomas two male models shot by russ warner before lalanne became famous lalanne tried to buy pics back because both guys were in their birthday suits.

Yep
Now the pictures are all over the Internet. Jack spent some time with mom and dad back a few years ago.
Him and his wife both were very nice people.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2012, 09:43:08 AM »
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=428068.msg6148015#msg6148015

Maybe it's the lighting. They appear blue & chrome in the photo.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2012, 09:45:57 AM »
Thanks MB
Ill be doing an Original WSM write up for you guys soon about the very first WSM Contest back in 1977.
With lots of never before seen photos. I think you'll enjoy it. This is just a sample pic.
RZ
i watched this contest on tv when it was first aired. ferrigno, mike dayton, franco c all representing the bbing community. i remember dayton winning the wrist roller event and tearing a bunch of skin off his hands.
F

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2012, 10:02:25 AM »
i watched this contest on tv when it was first aired. ferrigno, mike dayton, franco c all representing the bbing community. i remember dayton winning the wrist roller event and tearing a bunch of skin off his hands.

Yea
Mike was not about to loose to Lou. Mike, Lou, and Franco were very close on the wrist role event. Mike did rip off a lot of skin on his first try and more on the second. I think you'll like the story ill write on the rest of the show. Have about 200 photos of that contest being converted to a cd from slide's right now. Ill post some of them when I get them back from the lab. There were a lot af good strong men there in that first one. Paul Anderson was also there. Have many never seen before pic's. your in for a treat.
RZ

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2012, 10:03:10 AM »

I want them for my Home Gym... ;D very nice plates.

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2012, 10:06:45 AM »

Nope there black, gold and white. I panted these and I put these on eBay.