Author Topic: Lookin to bulk  (Read 3162 times)

SnT

Lookin to bulk
« on: November 27, 2005, 10:53:39 PM »
Hey all, basically I'm 135 lbs and about 5'9 or 5'10 I'm 17 years old. I work out at school 4 times a week, and I'm getting a membership to the gym once I get my first paycheck.

I know that getting big isn't just working out its also diet and everything. I figured protien and fats and I saw the "nutrition and supplements" topic on foods.

I was wondering if you guys would help me out on some workouts I can do and maybe a few decent things to eat and supplement/vitamins (if any) to help me get bigger.

Thanks.

robmeister

Re: Lookin to bulk
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 03:24:36 PM »
5'10 is a pretty good height for distributing muscle weight.  try protein shakes and creatine.  that should help a little. alos, remember that at your age, your metabolism and growth hormones are in "overdrive"! you''ll probably start putting n the size naturally anyway within the year,  giv it time!  8)

blaster

• Getbig III
  • If bodybuilding was easy, everyone would be big!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 04:04:15 PM »
Hey all, basically I'm 135 lbs and about 5'9 or 5'10 I'm 17 years old. I work out at school 4 times a week, and I'm getting a membership to the gym once I get my first paycheck.

I know that getting big isn't just working out its also diet and everything. I figured protien and fats and I saw the "nutrition and supplements" topic on foods.

I was wondering if you guys would help me out on some workouts I can do and maybe a few decent things to eat and supplement/vitamins (if any) to help me get bigger.

Thanks.

You forgot one vital aspect of putting on weight: AGE! Ur only 17 FFS. I didn't put most of my natural weight on till I was 19 or 20. Just keep eating heaps and training hard. Ur body is yet to mature.

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 07:55:42 PM »
Yeah..no matter what I did, I didn't seem to gain till in my low 20's. I did however lean out fairly easily. Now it is the opposite.

I would take this time to learn some discipline. Form and especially diet.

For me anyways, eating clean and other bad habits (alcohol) were the toughest to overcome..ESPECIALLY through high school and college.

That being said compound exercises that work the majors will really stimulate your body to grow. Squats, Deads, Military Press ect...

Also...USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!! This site has every answer to any one of your questions in triplicate. (same answer 3 different ways)..Plus you will see answers from newbies that think like you, but more importantly answers from the big boys here that know the answers and have experienced the gains and mistakes from lessons already learned.

Why re-do the science? You have board of expertise here but, don't be lazy and take up room on the board before you have extensively searched and still have questions. Not being rude but you'll see..search "creatine" and watch the 1000 results you get with the same info.

Patience be with you grasshopper...good luck.

SnTBaM

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 08:56:15 PM »
Alright, well I figured I'd put on more weight and maybe an inch or so more within the next few years, what bugs me is I'm so damn skinny and I'd like to put up some more weight for sports.

I understand that theres heaps of info out there, but I figured the guys around here would know more then I would and could guide me onto what I should take and what workouts, ect. I apologise for taking up room on the board. And yea, I should've done more reasearch.

Thanks for all of your guys's input.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 02:18:42 AM »
The boys here are right, just learn how to train well, eat progressively and train with added resistence. Im 21 and im only really feeeling my metabolism starting to slow down a bit now. iv had couple years on the weights and its only now im getting wise onto the diet side. Trainings easy, its resting enough, eating enough and drinking enough water etc thats hard.
So just ask questions,listen and learn.
Its a tough journey if you stick with it, but its really fun.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

mem

• Getbig III
  • lifetime athlete
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 05:42:38 AM »
I was (mid 20s) only 5'7" and 125 lbs. I am and always have been a hardgainer...
good thing of that IS that people like me - will never have a hard time keeping tight
and fit (not flabby) looking. UNLESS you factor alcohol into the equation - which will
give me (my lean frame) an unsightly gut . . . as well as F!ck UP! your fundamental
metabolism, hindering muscle development . . .

Patience IS perhaps the hardest trait to cultivate - OUR world IS a get it now society . . .
Looking at a Jay Cutler or Ronnie Coleman - we are  t a l k i n g  y e a r s  of commited   
training diet and excercise routines,not to mention inherited genetics . . .
I know NOT what beginners want to hear . . .

It takes time (no not 6 months) much TIME to develop a good physique
and possibly a  L I F E T I M E  to develop a GREAT physique.
I at 45 years old am 5'8" @ 195lbs. and have to work my
ass off to maintain my physique.

And as (wisely) mentioned - research - research - research your interests . . .
Much of my time here at GB, IS spent pouring over past posts, Find some mentors.
(NOT busting balls here - just facts) Find a couple peoples' post that you think
make sense (and like) and look at their *history* of past posts.
If you need help we can show you how to do this.

Keep training - look towards the long haul (big picture).

1 life 1 liver

blaster

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 02:14:11 PM »
I was (mid 20s) only 5'7" and 125 lbs. I am and always have been a hardgainer...
good thing of that IS that people like me - will never have a hard time keeping tight
and fit (not flabby) looking. UNLESS you factor alcohol into the equation - which will
give me (my lean frame) an unsightly gut . . . as well as F!ck UP! your fundamental
metabolism, hindering muscle development . . .

Patience IS perhaps the hardest trait to cultivate - OUR world IS a get it now society . . .
Looking at a Jay Cutler or Ronnie Coleman - we are  t a l k i n g  y e a r s  of commited   
training diet and excercise routines,not to mention inherited genetics . . .
I know NOT what beginners want to hear . . .

It takes time (no not 6 months) much TIME to develop a good physique
and possibly a  L I F E T I M E  to develop a GREAT physique.
I at 45 years old am 5'8" @ 195lbs. and have to work my
ass off to maintain my physique.

And as (wisely) mentioned - research - research - research your interests . . .
Much of my time here at GB, IS spent pouring over past posts, Find some mentors.
(NOT busting balls here - just facts) Find a couple peoples' post that you think
make sense (and like) and look at their *history* of past posts.
If you need help we can show you how to do this.

Keep training - look towards the long haul (big picture).

Jay's probably not a good example. I've seen pics of him when he was really young. I'd say he hit the gear at a very young age....

mem

• Getbig III
  • lifetime athlete
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 08:45:08 PM »
A valid point . . .

Jay's probably not a good example. I've seen pics of him when he was really young. I'd say he hit the gear at a very young age....

Whad ya think? Jays' probably training for 12 to 15 years???

SOO many people think that IT comes in a couple years.
Even seen a few post *I have been training for 6 months*
F!ck that qualifies as a warm-up. My best has come in the
past 5 years. Most younger generation are faced with the
temptations - alcohol and partying (difficult to be disciplined)
an focus for the long term.

My point was more that IT TAKES TIME - A LIFETIME for great physique

I mean think about the ever evolvong process of (truly) learning
how to understand your body - actually knowing it . . . a lifetime.
1 life 1 liver

mem

• Getbig III
  • lifetime athlete
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 08:54:11 PM »
Alright, well I figured I'd put on more weight and maybe an inch or so more within the next few years, what bugs me is I'm so damn skinny and I'd like to put up some more weight for sports.

I understand that theres heaps of info out there, but I figured the guys around here would know more then I would and could guide me onto what I should take and what workouts, ect. I apologise for taking up room on the board. And yea, I should've done more reasearch.

Thanks for all of your guys's input.

No appologies man - we are each here to learn . . .

Do you have a job? How much money DO
you have? This hobbie I S expensive
DAMN expensive.

Are you eating 6 to 8 meals (times) a day
or constantly at you age. I could (and DO)
(at times) eat steak and eggs before bed.
Sometimes protein drink(s) during the middle
of the night. At 45 yo - I practically eat
around the clock - drove my Xwife nuts....

Even on a 6 figure salery the potential costs
for the QUALITY foods and suppliments
are a heap - My Xwife bitched about it...
1 life 1 liver

blaster

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 09:02:50 PM »
A valid point . . .

Whad ya think? Jays' probably training for 12 to 15 years???

SOO many people think that IT comes in a couple years.
Even seen a few post *I have been training for 6 months*
F!ck that qualifies as a warm-up. My best has come in the
past 5 years. Most younger generation are faced with the
temptations - alcohol and partying (difficult to be disciplined)
an focus for the long term.

My point was more that IT TAKES TIME - A LIFETIME for great physique

I mean think about the ever evolvong process of (truly) learning
how to understand your body - actually knowing it . . . a lifetime.

Don't get me wrong, I understand Jay has been training for a long time, but as I said, I have seen photo's of a VERY young looking Jay (he looked about 18) and he wasn't much smaller than he is now. All I'm saying is don't be fooled into thinking you will be massive like some guys over night, or in a few years for that matter. I have recently made a new mate who is HUGE. I asked him about his 'habit' and he told me he has been juicing since he was 19 and he's 28 now, so yes, he's been training a while, but without the gear, he would not be nearly as big as he is now.

SnTBaM

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 09:49:16 PM »
I understand it takes time, I was just searching for a little help along the way, thats natural or something.

And yea, I know that this hobby or profession, whichever it is to you, is expensive. I have a job, and I don't have rent or bills or anything to pay for, so all my money can go to whatever  I want.

My genetics are...odd, I guess. My dad at my age was 5'11 185 and my mom is short, and pudgy, I guess, so I haven't figured out how I come into play being so small. I haven't really lifted weights or anything, but I dieted quite a bit for wrestling, I ate pretty healthy and I did alot of cardio. But now that I'm not wrestling I'd actually like to get bigger, and from what it sounds like, I should train and eat healthy, and within the next few years I'll actually show signs of gaining more weight and more muslce.

I understand that to be like...HUGE on a bodybuilding level it takes a great amount of time, I'm not necesarilly looking to become that big, just bigger then average, or most everyday people.

And just for a little record or something: Juice isn't something I'd try, mainly because for me its hard to obtain, and I don't like the side effects of it ect. (Not saying that you guys shouldn't, just stating that I wouldn't.)

Blake

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2005, 10:24:32 PM »
I should train and eat healthy, and within the next few years I'll actually show signs of gaining more weight and more muslce.

You got it, man.  Just stay consistent with your training and eating habits and it will begin to pay off in terms of gains.  As someone else has said, "hard work + consistency + time = results".

Ledd

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 04:45:18 AM »

I understand that to be like...HUGE on a bodybuilding level it takes a great amount of time, I'm not necesarilly looking to become that big, just bigger then average, or most everyday people.

If my experience is anything for you to judge by, the results you want could take about two-three years.  To have great gains for your own body, and the ability to do more it took me almost a year.  I am 25, I've "played" around with weights since I was 18.  By that I mean I didnt stick with any plan longer than a month and I would take off several month periods.  And I didnt even know about eating enough protein!  But the past year I've been eating way more protein, lifting 3-5 days a week and trying to get enough rest.  I've gained about 15lbs.  My lifts have all gone up between 50-75lbs.
Just get a plan and go with it, you will have very bad days and very good days.  Sometimes your body wont want to lift heavy weight, sometimes it will.  Push through it and you will reap the benefits.  Something I've learned about bad days is for example when you had a great bench last week and you go in this week expecting to hit the same numbers and it just doesnt happen, hell you might lift even less than the week before switch to something else, dumbbells for example or dips or pushups in sets til you cant do anymore.   And one more thing, while there is some very valuable info from some very experienced lifters on this site(most more experienced than me) it is important to remember that only you know what your body needs.  There is a big difference between the needs of a 135lb. 17 year old and those of a 10-20year lifting veteran.

mem

• Getbig III
  • lifetime athlete
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2005, 07:02:04 AM »
- - All I'm saying is don't be fooled into thinking you will be massive like some guys over night, or in a few years for that matter. - -

All great points - consistent with my emphasis.
It IS a long term - B I G  picture prospect . . .

I understand it takes time, I was just searching for a little help along the way, thats natural or something.

- - And yea, I know that this hobby or profession, whichever it is to you, is expensive. I have a job, and I don't have rent or bills or anything to pay for, so all my money can go to whatever I want. - -

- - I understand that to be like...HUGE on a bodybuilding level it takes a great amount of time, I'm not necesarilly looking to become that big, just bigger then average, or most everyday people. - -

- - And just for a little record or something: Juice isn't something I'd try, mainly because for me its hard to obtain, and I don't like the side effects of it ect. (Not saying that you guys shouldn't, just stating that I wouldn't.) - -

I like the way you think SnTBaM - you ARE on the right track buddy!!!
many many - sadly - want everything  N O W !!!

You got it, man. Just stay consistent with your training and eating habits and it will begin to pay off in terms of gains. As someone else has said, "hard work + consistency + time = results".

At a boy Blake ! ! !

There ARE some awesome and
trmendously helpful people here.

1 life 1 liver