Author Topic: Starting hard training, my starting routine, advice needed  (Read 1705 times)

Joselo66

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
Starting hard training, my starting routine, advice needed
« on: November 28, 2005, 12:01:19 AM »
Hi all, after 2 monts of light trainig and two weeks of rest im starting the real training to gain muscle mass.

Im 25, 62kg(137 pounds), 1.75m(5.7 feet), as you can see im a slim guy, reading the getbig.com articles and forums finally i have structured a diet and a routine that i hope you can give me some advice to improve it, so here is:

Workout 1:
Back
Wide-Grip Pulldowns Behind The Neck (12-10-8)
Underhand Cable Pulldowns (12-10-8)
Middle Back Shrug (12-10-8)
Traps
Barbell Upright Row (12-10-8)
Biceps
Barbell Curl (12-10-8)
Dumbbell Alternate Bicep Curl (12-10-8)
Cross Body Hammer Curl (12-10-8)

Workout 2:
Chest
Barbell Incline Bench Press (12-10-8)
Hammer Grip Incline DB Bench Press (12-10-8)
Cable Crossover (12-10-8)
Shoulders
Barbell Behind The Neck Press (12-10-8)
Front Plate Raise (12-10-8)
Triceps
Lying Triceps Press (12-10-8)
Triceps Pushdown - V-Bar Attachment (12-10-8)

Workout 3:
Quads
Leg Extensions (12-10-8)
Leg Press (12-10-8)
Dumbbell Lunge (12-10-8)
Hams
Lying Leg Curls (12-10-8)
Calves
Standing Calf Raises (12-10-8)
Calf Press On The Leg Press Machine (12-10-8)

I see sometimes diferent names for same excercises so i took this from here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm

Im thinking in do the three workouts on three days in a row then i take one day rest and again the three workouts, at this point i think something is missing so any help or advice that you can give me will be very apreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
Re: Starting hard training, my starting routine, advice needed
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 06:52:16 AM »
Thanks for the easy to read lay-out!

I think you should do chins instead of behind-the-neck pulldowns, you should include at least one flat benching movement, and you should squat.  Other than that, it looks pretty decent for a beginner's routine. 

Again, though, the most valuable thing you can do is a beginner is develop good form on the challenging but essential mass-building exercises, such as squats, bench, and deadlift.
:-)

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 09:37:02 AM »
If you want to start training with serious intent than you may want to do the Big Boy's exercises, which for the most part include free weights rather than machines or cables in whatever form. Cables & machines do have their place in BB'ing but if I'm reading your post correctly you want to slap on some impressive muscle mass fairly fast now. You may need more rest days between workouts rather than the three days in a row present plan. This can insure the most gains from the effort put out. If your getting at least 3,000 calories of good quality(without feeling bloated/stomach discomfort) and 200+ grams of whey or better balanced protein for better digestion/assimilation into the muscle cells and also getting better recovery time than you should gain muscle quite well. The key element to making any gains is not to overtax the CNS.  Most BB'er average about your height (5'7) and weight when they begin training, tending to have a  small or medium bone structure.

Might try the suggestions below if you only want to work  muscle groups the way you orginally planned.

Monday....Back/traps/biceps

BB row, curl grip..narrow grip..pulling to the lower abs..3 sets X 6-9 reps
Chins, Hammer grip if you can, if not that regular mediun grip..add weight when possible.   2 sets of 6-9 reps
Traps:
BB clean or DB shrugs.   Two sets of 6-9 sets.
Biceps...EZ bar curl..two sets of 8-10 reps

Wednsday...legs/Hams/Calves

Squats & BB Hacks....8-12 reps X 2 sets
Hams...Leg curl standing or leg curl lying.  SLDL's or GM'ings are limited somewhat for BB'ing full leg bicep goals. 2X8-12 reps
Calf..one legged calf raise on a high block, allowing full stretch. 3 sets of10-12 reps. Hold DB in hand for extra resistence.

Friday...chest/shoulders/triceps

Inclines..either BB or DB..DB's will give a better stretch. 2X8-10 reps
Dips...add weight whenever you can..a true mass builder. 3X6-9 reps
PBN..warm up well...start each rep from the neck/shoulder area (with a slight pause at the bottom position each rep)  rather than starting from above and bouncing the weight off the neck/shoulder area. This is an exercise that should be controled at all times. 3X5-9 reps
Lying incline tricep DB press...alternate arms. 2X6-9 reps.

Dozens of other ways to design a true muscle mass gaining program which can give rather fast results in a short period of time. The above is just an example of one that have worked for many men over the years. I would prefer working a muscle group at least twice, and sometime three times a week keeping the workouts short and to the point. Some of my better results have been working chest/back/delts on monday, legs on wednsday and chest/back/delts again on friday. The following monday I start with legs, wednsday chest/back/shoulders and the final friday doing legs again. I alternate each week. Keep in mind that these are brief, hard and demanding workouts but only doing maybe  6 or 8 total exercises every workout.  Good Luck.

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 03:48:54 PM »
do not do any behind-the-back presses/pulldowns!!!  no sane physician will ever recommend those. 

i agree with bear, do chins instead of behind-the-neck pulldowns.  i would also add bb rows. 

do squats and deadlifts.  also hack squats. 

weighted dips are great for triceps.

forget machines/cables, do compound movements using free weights.  (exception is legs where you have to use machines.)

Joselo66

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 11:52:58 AM »
Thanks to all you guys, now i have more clear what a BB routine its about.

I take off the cable machines and added the most free weight excercices posible.

JPM:
Dozens of other ways to design a true muscle mass gaining program which can give rather fast results in a short period of time. The above is just an example of one that have worked for many men over the years. I would prefer working a muscle group at least twice, and sometime three times a week keeping the workouts short and to the point. Some of my better results have been working chest/back/delts on monday, legs on wednsday and chest/back/delts again on friday. The following monday I start with legs, wednsday chest/back/shoulders and the final friday doing legs again. I alternate each week. Keep in mind that these are brief, hard and demanding workouts but only doing maybe  6 or 8 total exercises every workout.  Good Luck.

Biceps and triceps arent included on this workout program? or that mucle groups are worked on the compound movements?