Author Topic: Chris Matthews on Obama win: 'I'm so glad we had that storm'  (Read 1600 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Chris Matthews on Obama win: 'I'm so glad we had that storm'
« on: November 07, 2012, 01:29:16 PM »
Idiot.

Chris Matthews on Obama win: 'I'm so glad we had that storm'
Published November 07, 2012
FoxNews.com

To all the millions of victims of superstorm Sandy, Chris Matthews has a message: "I'm so glad."

The MSNBC host, on a panel of pro-Obama pundits including Rachel Maddow, ended election coverage overnight by saying he's "glad" the storm hit, suggesting it served a greater good by boosting President Obama to a second term.

"I'm so glad we had that storm last week," Matthews said, after interjecting to give some final thoughts. Somebody off-screen could be heard saying "ooo" at that remark, but Matthews confidently put his hand up to explain.

"No, politically I should say -- not in terms of hurting people. The storm brought in possibilities for good politics," he said.

Matthews via social media attempted to explain his remarks early Wednesday morning.

"To clarify -- I was thrilled at the cooperation between the President and state officials that made the country proud. Great bipartisanship," he tweeted.

"Obviously I wasn't talking about the horror of the storm. I grew up on the Jersey shore," Matthews wrote in another message on his Twitter feed.

The death toll from that storm, which caused billions of dollars in damage, now exceeds 100. Many in the path of the storm's wrath -- in New Jersey, New York and elsewhere -- lost their homes or their cars or were otherwise displaced. The storm wreaked havoc on Election Day, as officials scrambled to facilitate the vote with many precincts facing power outages and fuel shortages.

Some analysts did say the storm boosted Obama's image by allowing him to show a bipartisan side -- reaching out to Republican Gov. Chris Christie, who publicly thanked Obama for the federal government's support -- and effectively sidelining Mitt Romney for a few days one week before the election.

Exit polls also showed about four in 10 voters said Obama's response to Sandy was important to their vote, and they backed the president by more than a 2-to-1 margin.

Matthews, though, was oddly upbeat in describing the political impact. He made the Sandy comment after ripping Republicans for their "assault" on the president.

"I am so proud of the country. To re-elect this president and overcoming -- not because of the partisanship or even the policies -- just the fact, here's an African guy,  African-American guy with an unusual background -- part immigrant background, part African-American background -- with all this assault on him from day one. From Mitch McConnell, from the clowns out there that aren't elected, never will be to anything," he said. "And the way he took it, as someone said, with coolness and charm and dignity and just took it and took it and kept moving forward and doing his job. ... A good day for America."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/11/07/chris-matthews-on-obama-win-o-glad-hurricane-sandy-struck/

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Re: Chris Matthews on Obama win: 'I'm so glad we had that storm'
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 01:30:48 PM »
I saw that last night live and Rachel was like WTF???

He was losing it there at the end, almost falling asleep.  I knew what he meant, but he really should have said it better or kept it to himself.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 01:31:45 PM »
mathews accused repubs of "dicking around".

by 2 am when the main live coverage went off, mathews was seirously delirious.   laughing, tears, choked up, rambling.  Dude needed sleep or something.

i'm glad to see he's glad 100 americans are dead from the terrible storm.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 02:59:29 PM »
Good for him.  That was the right thing to do.

Matthews Apologizes for Saying 'I'm So Glad We Had That Storm Last Week'
By Noel Sheppard | November 07, 2012

As NewsBusters previously reported, MSNBC's Chris Matthews on Tuesday said, "I'm so glad we had that storm last week" in response to Barack Obama's re-election victory.

On Wednesday, the Hardball host led off his program with a heartfelt apology (partial transcript and commentary follows, video pending):

CHRIS MATTHEWS: But I can't begin our usual political discussion tonight without a strong, sad personal note. I was on last night for ten hours straight from five in the evening till three in the morning. At a few minutes to three I said something terrible. I said that I was glad about the coming of tropical storm Sandy because of its impact on this national campaign. It was a terrible thing to say period.

I could say it was because I was tired, but the fact is I wasn't thinking of the horrible mess this storm has made of people's real lives up here in New York and elsewhere. It's not till you read the local newspapers around here that you see and know the horror this has wreaked on people's lives, in fact very good people's lives.

I grew up in the south Jersey shore. I've relatives living there still. But I failed to see the even worse damage done further up in the state of New Jersey and in Staten Island and other places around here. It is truly a horror up here.

Story Continues Below Ad ↓
Maybe Matthews would have known about the horrors left by this storm if he and his entire so-called "news network" had bothered to report them.

But instead, he and his colleagues throughout much of the Obama-loving media ignored the aftermath of Sandy focusing more on how the images of the President with New Jersey Governor Chris Christie would help his re-election.

The fact is that if the press had been as vigilant in covering those horrors as they were during Katrina, the American people mightn't have had as positive an impression of the President's handling of the crisis.

Maybe Matthews should apologize about that as well.

But I wouldn't hold your breath.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2012/11/07/matthews-apologizes-saying-im-so-glad-we-had-storm-last-week

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 03:22:07 PM »
fox had  the storm coverage on all day on monday not so much today,but of coarse the election was all over  :o

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 03:23:03 PM »
Chris Matthews is fucking insane...

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 08:00:04 PM »

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 02:17:06 PM »

x3

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 09:15:37 AM »

totally disagree.  he's very sane.  journalism is dead.  he's a pioneer in that he doesn't even try to lie and say that he wants to give unbiased news.  he knows it doesn't matter anymore.  i'll tell you what you want to hear and you'll watch.  why?  because 90% of americans don't watch the news in order to gather information to make an informed decision.  they watch the news to gather ammunition to support their foregoned conclusion.  and he's sitting their with a bowl spoonfeeding it to them week in and week out.  and they keep watching.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 05:43:10 AM »
This is from 6 months ago:
 President Obama on Tuesday said he instructed federal agencies to “cut through the bureaucracy” to speed relief to victims of Hurricane Sandy.

“My message to the federal government: no bureaucracy, no red tape,” Obama said. “There’s no excuse for inaction at this point. I want every agency to lean forward and to make sure that we are getting the resources where they’re needed as quickly as possible.”

Obama, speaking at a Red Cross office in Washington, said most recovery efforts will be coordinated by local responders. But Obama said he’s also looking for ways the federal government can bring in nontraditional resources. He said the military may have some equipment that can speed up pumping of floodwaters out of New York City’s subways, for example.

http://www.federaltimes.com/article/20121030/DEPARTMENTS03/310300003/Obama-promises-speed-federal-help-hurricane-victims

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 06:38:54 AM »
This is from 6 months ago:
 President Obama on Tuesday said he instructed federal agencies to “cut through the bureaucracy” to speed relief to victims of Hurricane Sandy.

“My message to the federal government: no bureaucracy, no red tape,” Obama said. “There’s no excuse for inaction at this point. I want every agency to lean forward and to make sure that we are getting the resources where they’re needed as quickly as possible.”

Obama, speaking at a Red Cross office in Washington, said most recovery efforts will be coordinated by local responders. But Obama said he’s also looking for ways the federal government can bring in nontraditional resources. He said the military may have some equipment that can speed up pumping of floodwaters out of New York City’s subways, for example.

http://www.federaltimes.com/article/20121030/DEPARTMENTS03/310300003/Obama-promises-speed-federal-help-hurricane-victims

Red Tape won out....Republicans are halting funds and help needed in revenge for the elections
A

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 06:40:22 AM »
Red Tape won out....Republicans are halting funds and help needed in revenge for the elections

STFU - Always someone elses fault to the 95'ers

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 06:49:39 AM »
Why do you keep bumping old threads?
w

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 07:12:02 AM »
he bumped it with new news, that thousands are still homeless... now... not then....  and because it's never to late to see what a butthead Chris Matthews is.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 07:33:05 AM »
he bumped it with new news, that thousands are still homeless... now... not then....  and because it's never to late to see what a butthead Chris Matthews is.

;)

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 05:16:54 AM »

Because dumbass, there are still thousands of homeless people in NYC because of Sandy.

Hope this helps. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2013, 04:33:56 PM »

The fact that thousands are still homeless after Sandy is new news?
How long did it take to get NO survivors housed?

...and Chris Matthews being a butthead is not in any way new news.  ;D
w