Author Topic: RIP - 3x Mr. Olympia Sergio Olivia has passed away  (Read 82821 times)

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
Re: RIP - 3x Mr. Olympia Sergio Olivia has passed away
« Reply #150 on: November 14, 2012, 11:59:04 AM »
holy fudge! look at those forearm muscle bellies! freak!  :o

I'm not a big fan of huge, overdeveloped forearms..makes people look like popeye and  ruins the lines of the upper arm.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #151 on: November 14, 2012, 12:45:48 PM »
Who really thinks Arnold could have beaten Sergio 1971 & 72'  Mr.O  If Sergio was allowed to compete on a "Weider free" publications,judges/photographers/federation ?

(History belongs to those who write it)  

WOOOSSSHHHHHHHHHHH

Sergio did in the NABBA and still lost

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #152 on: November 14, 2012, 01:09:41 PM »
Not many people know that Sergio personally saved the world during The Cuban Missile Crisis: he beat up both JFK, Chroetsjow and Fidel..

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #153 on: November 14, 2012, 01:57:28 PM »
What a sensational bodybuilder!

One of the all time greats. IMHO

May God rest his soul.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #154 on: November 14, 2012, 03:08:22 PM »
 :'(

Bix

• Getbig IV
  • The Instigator
« Reply #155 on: November 14, 2012, 04:14:30 PM »
My wife just completed a painting of Sergio.

He was a great man !

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #156 on: November 14, 2012, 07:58:58 PM »
Sergio did in the NABBA and still lost

Yes but that competition - arguably more than any other in its history - had the odds stacked against anyone competing against Bill Pearl. It was Bill's last competition and he came out of retirement to compete. Bill was the NABBA golden boy. It may have been hard to neglect Bill's standing within NABBA when judging that particular contest.

Having said that, it does look like a somewhat close contest.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #158 on: November 15, 2012, 03:11:17 AM »
A nice read John... :)

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #159 on: November 15, 2012, 07:28:46 AM »
Awesome read..enjoyed the article very much...I wish I could look like Sergio did...

Rajkapoor

• Getbig III
« Reply #160 on: November 15, 2012, 09:55:38 AM »
OK but Arnold took Arnold away from Autria as soon as he could. He then lived in Germany. Then moved to England for a year under Wag Bennet. Then used Weider as a little pawn in his plan to get to where he wanted to be. Dave Draper was a more likely candidate for promoting Weider products but Arnold's force of nature made him number 1 in Joe's eyes.  In late 1960's racist america there was no way Sergio was going to be promoted ahead of a white Arnold with his dominant drive and personality.
I think Sergio made a lot of bad decisions by turning on Weider then turning on Lurie. Ending up in a self made limbo.
Arnold knew how to use Weider for his own self interest and success.

i can not take anything away from Arnold even if i want to the man is a legend but things made lot more easier for him when he really need them.dave draper as a show boy haa u got to be kidding that big blond mess would place last in every pro show no matter what you do to him.
its easy for you to say sergio made wrong decisions.when you are 3 time Mr Olympia and constantly being ignored and humiliated just because you are black.what u expect from him.

Tomanater

• Pros
  • Getbig III
  • Eat-Sleep-Train-Grow
« Reply #162 on: November 15, 2012, 10:48:07 PM »
A sad day for bodybuilding. RIP to one of the greatest that ever lived a true legend .

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #163 on: November 16, 2012, 08:01:25 AM »
He was a former Chicago cop, wouldn't he have had health care through his police pension?

I worked out with him in downtown Chicago a number of times. Coincidently our workouts would have us hitting the tricep pressdown machine at the same time. I can only smile at his "outfits" and the amount of gold jewelry he wore.
^^
YES, he would have had full coverage under his pension... I think he might have had "other" expenses, like alimony (ex-wife) and possibly bad investments (others have said this, I'm not sure).

canyon

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #164 on: November 16, 2012, 09:01:26 AM »

His relationship with J.Weider was what hurt him.... Just imagine,you being 3 times mr.O and then Joe brings Arnold who loses to Zane in Miami then to Oliva at the O but keeps being on the covers of all Weider publication the star,Austrian Oakblah,blah, having the best angles in every picture  while Sergio ..... already a champ 3 times!!! never was featured on a cover of Weider only the lousy pics of him on back of a mag or small article  WTF !!! or only the negative stuff about Sergio.......even in 1995 (the Mr.O reunion) Weider called Sergio fat and disrespected him only thanking Arnold for being there.......

My respect to Sergio and Serge 2 bodybuilders that didnt kiss Joe Weider's ass
You fat disgusting porch monkey lover....

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #165 on: November 16, 2012, 11:42:55 AM »
Nice tribute from Iron Man with John Balik talking about Sergio in the gym.

http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/sergio-oliva-tribute/
and keep moving!

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #166 on: November 16, 2012, 12:02:21 PM »
Awesome read..enjoyed the article very much...I wish I could look like Sergio did...

Stand in line... many people wish that and have wished that!
and keep moving!

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #167 on: November 16, 2012, 02:51:27 PM »

LOL, the man was a freak of freaks... is this from the 60s like?

Imagine if you put his body through the chemical warfare of today's pros he would surpass coleman

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #168 on: November 16, 2012, 03:45:09 PM »
^ blows any modern black bodybuilder out of this world

Danjo

• Getbig IV
  • If you're coming on...then come on!
« Reply #169 on: November 16, 2012, 04:04:35 PM »
''The Myth'' will always be a Legend.  R.I.P.
H

pulling weight

• Getbig III
« Reply #170 on: November 16, 2012, 04:48:05 PM »
One of the greatest African American Bodybuilders
T

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #171 on: November 16, 2012, 04:50:59 PM »

LOL, the man was a freak of freaks... is this from the 60s like?

Imagine if you put his body through the chemical warfare of today's pros he would surpass coleman
That one of him was from the 1971 MR O where he was "allowed" bye the IFBB to "Guess pose" but not actually Compete against Arnold, this MM below is 1 year Later in Japan where IMO he was Possibly in his Greatest ever Shape Conditioning wise Feathered Delts and all...now imagine this Physique in this sort of shape on the Gear these days.........

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #172 on: November 16, 2012, 04:57:22 PM »
He competed for so many years. At his absolute peak I would put him up against anyone from any era. He wrote in an interview that at his best shape he was 253. That size with his tiny waist made him the Myth. He also always had a real job when he was competing. He worked long hours doing manual labor winning his Olympia titles then he became a cop. Don't forget as a teenager and early twenties he was a world class Olympic lifter. He was a real athlete. Damn guy was even shot at two different times in his life. Once through the arm in Cuba and once by his wife at point blank range in the stomach. You could make a movie about him with all the stuff he has been through.

May his family find peace. May Sergio find his reward.

Your post sums up many of my same feelings about this legend.
The first bodybuilders I ever saw was Sergio vs Arnold in the 1970 Mr World on ABC's Wide World of Sports.
Arnold got a close win that day, but I was more impressed with Sergio.

Nobody, and I ,ean NPBODY could do the overhead victory pose like Sergio.
 Sergio last won the O in 1969, but nobody could beat him in that pose in any era.
Sergio had that rare "awe factor" when he posed. Your jaw dropped and you said wtf!
I saw him live only once, when I went to see a WBBG contest in New York many years ago.
He wasn't the most ripped guy, but his incredible V taper, thick arms and sweeping thighs, were incredible.
I knew then , what I know now. Drugs alone will never make a Sergio, you have to be born with the talent.
Rest in Peace mighty Myth.

Mayor Of Bodybuilding

• Getbig III
« Reply #173 on: November 16, 2012, 07:11:29 PM »
RIP to the Myth! He had a real job as a cop and still was the best bodybuilder of any era!

6 Reps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #174 on: November 16, 2012, 09:05:32 PM »

His relationship with J.Weider was what hurt him.... Just imagine,you being 3 times mr.O and then Joe brings Arnold who loses to Zane in Miami then to Oliva at the O but keeps being on the covers of all Weider publication the star,Austrian Oakblah,blah, having the best angles in every picture  while Sergio ..... already a champ 3 times!!! never was featured on a cover of Weider only the lousy pics of him on back of a mag or small article  WTF !!! or only the negative stuff about Sergio.......even in 1995 (the Mr.O reunion) Weider called Sergio fat and disrespected him only thanking Arnold for being there.......

My respect to Sergio and Serge 2 bodybuilders that didnt kiss Joe Weider's ass

I read somewhere years ago that Weider had said "I put Oliva on the cover, I sell x.  I put Arnold on the cover I sell 3x."