Author Topic: After reading this - I think the entire Romney Campaign was a scam.  (Read 1693 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Insiders Explain How Mitt Romney's Campaign Completely Fell Apart On Election Day
Grace Wyler|Nov. 12, 2012, 2:54 PM|25,740|60

Mike Brown/Getty Images

As conservatives search for an explanation for Mitt Romney's loss, much of the blame has been directed at the collapse of his campaign's Election Day get out the vote efforts, a massive organizational failure that resulted in lower Republican turnout than even John McCain got in 2008.

A major source of Romney's GOTV problems appears to have been the disastrous Project ORCA, an expensive technological undertaking that was supposed to provide the campaign with real-time poll monitoring that would allow Republicans to target GOTV efforts on Election Day.

In the week leading up to the election, Romney campaign spokesperson Andrea Saul told Business Insider that ORCA was "the Republican Party’s newest, most technologically advanced plan to win the 2012 election," touting it as the game-changer that would blow even the Obama campaign's sophisticated GOTV system out of the water.

But on almost all counts, ORCA failed miserably. In a fascinating piece for Ace of Spades, Romney poll-watcher John Ekdahl describes a perfect storm of technology problems that made the ORCA app unusable and left scores of Republican volunteers "wandering around confused and frustrated" on Election Day.

Worse still, Ekdahl told Business Insider that the Romney campaign failed to provide poll-watching volunteers in his region — Jacksonville, Florida, a key Republican city in a major swing state — with proper credentials and accurate voter strike lists, rendering them unable to perform their duties even if the ORCA app had worked.

In interviews with Business Insider last week, sources close to the Romney campaign confirmed Ekdahl's account, and described a technological undertaking that failed at every level. According to several of these sources, ORCA was developed by a small, isolated tech team working under Romney's political team. These sources told Business Insider that the product was never properly beta-tested, and wasn't revealed to the rest of the campaign — including the digital team — until the week of the election.

Most people on the campaign "weren't that surprised" by ORCA's failure, said one Republican communications strategist close to the Romney campaign.

"They wouldn't let anyone outside of Romney political circle in on it until basically November 6," the strategist said. "The digital strategy was so incomprehensible — they were playing Super Nintendo while Obama's people had PS3."

"Their priorities were so screwed up — [they were] hypersensitive about information security, but also wanted to use the best technology they could," the strategist continued. "In the end they got neither. They put out a laughable GOTV product."

And the Romney campaign's Election Day problems weren't limited to ORCA. 

Another Republican activist, an attorney in Hamilton County, Ohio who declined to be named for fear of "burning bridges," told Business Insider that the campaign's GOTV organization in that crucial swing county completely collapsed in the weeks leading up to the election.

In an interview last week, the attorney, one of the "Lawyers for Romney" who volunteered to help the campaign's legal team by watching the polls on Election Day, described how the Romney campaign sent its legal volunteers the wrong training information, failed to provide volunteers with information about where they were supposed to be on Election Day, and stopped responding to phone calls and emails in the final two weeks of the campaign.

"It was basically a disaster," the attorney said. "They never explained what we were supposed to be doing — where we were supposed to start, where we were supposed to end, what I was supposed to do at the end of the night — they didn't explain any of it....A month before, you couldn't get a phone call or an email answered."

"Four out of eight of my polling places didn't have a poll observer," the attorney continued. "How you don't even get people credentialed properly is beyond my comprehension."

The Romney campaign did not respond to Business Insider's request for comment on the campaign's Election Day issues.

While we may never know what really happened inside the Romney campaign's Election Day collapse, the Ohio attorney's story, taken with the accounts from Ekdahl and people close to the Romney campaign, paint a picture of a campaign in disarray.

It appears that in its singular focus on competing technologically with the Obama campaign, the Romney team neglected to adequately account for and organize the essential human element necessary to any grassroots undertaking. Thus when its technological efforts failed, the campaign was left without a Plan B, and its volunteers were forced to fly blind at the moment the campaign needed them most.

"I think sometimes people get enamored of technology and they take people out of the mixture because its easier," Republican strategist Dave Carney told Business Insider. "I think there'll be a lot of soul-searching and review of those processes and see what really makes a difference."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/romney-project-orca-election-day-collapse-2012-11#ixzz2C7crDNNx

________________________ ________________________ ____________________

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: After reading this - I think the entire Romney Campaign was a scam.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 08:49:33 AM »
I said his entire campaign was a scam, a fraud and a con many times

Purge_WTF

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 08:50:12 AM »
Welcome back, Triple 3!

Oh, and good article! :)

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 08:56:51 AM »
Well im not sure if obama had the same numbers as 2008 either. I could look it up. But whats done is done. The younger generation and immigrants are here to stay and the 55 yr old white males are dying off.  The 30yr olds and under dont like Hatred, seperation, religion...etc.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 09:03:26 AM »
I think that the entire campaign was just a cash cow for some of the slimey operatives and people like Karl Rove to make $$$$. 

These scumbags shunned the tea party, ron paul supporters, palin supporters and as a result had no grass roots supports for GOTV efforts.

As a result - incredibly - Romney got less votes than McCain/Palin

From other accounts I have read  - i almost get the sense that this was a set up from day 1. 

The Enigma

• Getbig IV
  • Porsche 911 Turbo Carerra. My reality, your dream.
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 09:23:35 AM »
I think that the entire campaign was just a cash cow for some of the slimey operatives and people like Karl Rove to make $$$$. 

These scumbags shunned the tea party, ron paul supporters, palin supporters and as a result had no grass roots supports for GOTV efforts.

From other accounts I have read  - i almost get the sense that this was a set up from day 1. 

Reality finally hits home.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 09:28:39 AM »

Maybe that's why all the republicans "in the know" - sat out in 2016.

Jeb, Huck, Rubio, Rand, even Palin would have demolished the GOP field and won the nomination.

Yet they all passed it up, over what should have been a VERY beatable president doing a terrible job.

I said it from day one - they KNEW the fix was in, obama got his 8 years, and whoever wins in 2016 from the repub side (assuming hilary can be beat), will keep the job for 8 years, guaranteed!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 09:33:34 AM »

A Further Perspective

McCain Beats Romney!

By Paul Kengor on 11.9.12 @ 6:10AM

The Pennsylvania story -- how did it and so much else go wrong?

Brace yourselves, conservatives. What I’m about to say will hurt, and it should hurt -- and I’m not the first to notice. (Kudos to Rush Limbaugh, who noticed and is hitting this point hard.) Mitt Romney lost the 2012 election not so much because he got fewer votes than Barack Obama but because he got fewer votes than John McCain in 2008.

Additional votes are still coming in, but, as of the time of my writing, Romney received around 57.8 million votes in 2012. In 2008, John McCain received 59.9 million. Romney got over 2 million fewer votes than McCain. And in the final count, he will almost certainly have received considerably fewer votes than McCain.

Obama received 60.6 million votes in 2012, almost 9 million less than he received in 2008. If Romney would have had McCain’s vote total, he would have been much closer in the popular vote and might have even had enough to win the Electoral College. Or, better put, if Mitt Romney had secured just a tiny fraction more votes than John McCain -- as we conservatives were certain he would -- he might have won the presidency.

We know this: Romney won independents by 5 points, and they made up 29% of all voters. McCain didn’t win independents.

What does this really mean? That’s where the hurt comes. It appears to mean that our side lost because we failed to turn out our side. It isn’t so much that the Obama-Axelrod apparatus turned out their side -- though they did -- but that our side failed to do what it should have done.

In other words, this was a self-inflicted wound by Republicans, and a fatal one. It explains why the likes of Dick Morris, Michael Barone, George Will, Newt Gingrich, and myself were completely wrong in predicting a Romney landslide. We were certain that pollsters were oversampling Democrats in polls that had Romney-Obama dead even or Romney up by one or two points. The pro-Republican, pro-Romney, and anti-Obama enthusiasm we were seeing was extremely intense. It was inconceivable to us that it could be overcome by a higher Democrat turnout. We were expecting turnout akin to 2010, which favored Republicans big-time.

And so, Republicans have no one to blame but themselves. I wouldn’t blame Mitt Romney. He did a superb job. I initially had not been a Romney supporter, but he won me over. He came across as a genuinely decent man, one with an unprecedented business background for a presidential nominee. In retrospect, I couldn’t imagine a better candidate for the job at this particular time and given America’s current (economic) vulnerabilities. Unfortunately, Romney couldn’t pick up votes among Democrats because (exit polls confirm this) Obama and his campaign succeeded in convincing Democrats that Obama’s disastrous economic record is the fault of George W. Bush. That’s a truly incredible thing, but when you consider this nation’s economic illiteracy, and Democrats’ willingness to unquestioningly accept anything their leaders tell them, it isn’t a huge surprise.

The exit poll data also shows that only 7% of Democrats voted for Mitt Romney, just a tad better than the 6% of Republicans who voted for Obama. In short, there really weren’t any Romney Democrats.

But that doesn’t explain our side. Why didn’t our side show up for Mitt Romney?

Was the intensity enthusiasm not as broad as we thought? Did our side feel we had this in the bag? Did a lot of conservatives not vote for Romney out of fear that he’s a closet moderate, a closet liberal, a RINO, or Mr. Etch-a-Sketch?

Was it the Mormon factor? I don’t think so. As Mark Tooley wrote here yesterday, evangelicals and faithful Catholics went to the polls for Romney, giving him stronger support than in 2008.

Many conservatives from the outset urged the Republican Party not to go with Romney, figuring he was another moderate Republican destined to lose -- like John McCain. On the other hand, they turned out and gave John McCain a lot more votes.

And what about my state of Pennsylvania, which I embarrassed myself by predicting it would go for Mitt Romney? It seems to have suffered the same problem.

Romney received 2.58 million votes in Pennsylvania. In 2008, John McCain received 2.65 million. Obama received 2.86 million votes in Pennsylvania in 2012 (compared to 3.28 million in 2008). If Romney would have achieved or exceeded McCain’s vote total in Pennsylvania, the state would have been much closer -- closer to what Pennsylvania polls were showing (a dead-even race) just before Tuesday’s vote. In 2008, Obama won Pennsylvania by 10 points; in 2012, he won by 5 points. Obama won 18 Pennsylvania counties in 2008; in 2012, he won only 12 (out of 67). In Pennsylvania, Obama’s vote total was way down from 2008, but our side’s total wasn’t up at all.

In Pennsylvania, I saw a red-hot anti-Obama sentiment and very strong support for Romney. But apparently it wasn’t wide enough to compel enough of our side to go to the booth and cast a ballot for Mitt Romney.

Romney lost because our side wasn’t strong enough to lift him across the goal-line. It was like we handed the ball to Obama in the fourth quarter and let him run down field untouched.

What’s the lesson for the GOP? I’m not sure. There are no doubt other factors missing in my analysis. But this much seems certain: The old adage is true -- people prefer to vote for someone rather than against someone. The Republican Party was banking on Republicans turning out to vote against Obama, regardless of who the Republican nominee was. To some extent, they did that -- but not enough.

Imagine: If someone had told you that Barack Obama would receive 9 million fewer votes in 2012 than 2008, you would have predicted his sure defeat. You would have been wrong. Republicans blew a huge opportunity.

http://spectator.org/archives/2012/11/09/mccain-beats-romney

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 09:48:07 AM »
that this is a surprise to anyone, surprises me...

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 09:50:52 AM »

Your party is a lie, they are going to continue to get handled if they don't come off the ledge and start acting like true conservatives not crazy non-compromising bible thumping lunatics. When a goal of the party is to block the president at all costs, one being the us debt ceiling, you realize they have lost touch with reality.

You likewise have lost touch with reality and fox and friends have played you like a violin, lying and just generally living in an alternate universe.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 09:57:15 AM »
And obama beats mccain

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 10:07:02 AM »

And you supported it to the end!!
The GOP lied to you and you will come up with an excuse to support them again.
You will be wrong again because you are a fool that wants to be fooled.
Welcome back ;)

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 10:31:08 AM »
And you supported it to the end!!
The GOP lied to you and you will come up with an excuse to support them again.
You will be wrong again because you are a fool that wants to be fooled.
Welcome back ;)

Instead of taking issues on his merrit, he lives in the Republican.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 10:40:49 AM »
Instead of taking issues on his merrit, he lives in the Republican.

::)  I was ABO and voted for ron paul in the primary remember?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 10:50:39 AM »
The Republican Party is a Scam.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 10:54:50 AM »
And thats fine... Vote for Ron Paul in the primary.. shit.. vote for Romney for all i care, but dont then come on here and post shit claiming Romney is all awesome. Thats when your shit gets very lame.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 10:58:01 AM »
And thats fine... Vote for Ron Paul in the primary.. shit.. vote for Romney for all i care, but dont then come on here and post shit claiming Romney is all awesome. Thats when your shit gets very lame.

Show me one post I did that.  I always felt he was way better than 4 more years under O-FAIL

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2012, 11:01:51 AM »
Show me one post I did that.  I always felt he was way better than 4 more years under O-FAIL
Leading from the Front.. blah blah.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 11:04:19 AM »
Leading from the Front.. blah blah.

LOL - clearly you are too uninformed and ignorant to catch the joke I was making on that.   

Its ok - im just not going to get in the mud w your kind any more.   turning a new leaf and just will ignore you people. 

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2012, 11:07:11 AM »
LOL - clearly you are too uninformed and ignorant to catch the joke I was making on that.   

Its ok - im just not going to get in the mud w your kind any more.   turning a new leaf and just will ignore you people. 
You oughta start looking at the facts and nothing else.  Drop the nonsense.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2012, 11:09:33 AM »
You oughta start looking at the facts and nothing else.  Drop the nonsense.

Remember Obama's team saying he "Leads from Behind" ? ?   That was the reference. 

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2012, 11:11:22 AM »
Only a fool didn't see this from Day 1... oh wait...

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2012, 05:15:24 PM »

You supported 100% what they did at the convention you neocon

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2012, 05:38:49 PM »
You supported 100% what they did at the convention you neocon

33 did excuse what they did to fck over ron paul.    but at that point, it was just about uniting against obama, i think.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2012, 07:11:23 PM »
Romney FAIL: His Four Worst Strategic Mistakes
 Realville, USA ^ | Nov 12, 2012 | Ombud

Posted on Monday, November 12, 2012 9:45:11 PM by SquarePants

Romney probably used a lot more than these, but here are a few of his biggest losing strategies I came up with:

1. Nominate a candidate who doesn't represent the core values of your party. Mitt Romney is not now, nor has he ever been, a conservative. Of course, next to Barack Obama, Mitt Romney looks like a conservative, but then next to Obama, Francois Hollande would look like a conservative.

2. Suppress your own vote. The Romney team invested millions of dollars, and gambled election day success, on a program called ORCA, which was designed to centralize (centralize?) the Republican GOTV. Somewhat predictably, the intricate and complex system, which was untested before election day (untested?), crashed and burned when they tried to use it. (Mr. Romney, meet Mr. Murphy. He has a law you may want to familiarize yourself with.) Unfortunately, the Romney team realized this well after they had usurped and dismantled the GOP's local GOTV infrastructure. Which also leaves us wondering just how much the Romney team oversold his managerial prowess.

3. Allow enormous voter fraud. 100 Ohio precincts with Obama winning 99%+ of the vote, including 44 districts in Cleveland? 59 precincts in Philadelphia where Mitt Romney got ZERO votes? In Florida, Romney got less than 1% in Broward County? These numbers would be too suspicious for Hugo Chavez to use to claim legitimacy.. but I guess the GOP just ignores this kind of stuff.

4. Assume that the under-informed voters understand what the hell you're talking about. Paul Ryan seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy, if you're paying close attention. Most people do not pay close attention. People who pay no attention to politics and then, in the last few weeks before an election make up their minds, are often called "under-informed." They may or may not be stupid, but their ignorance of the issues is undeniable. The Romney/Ryan campaign was heavy on wonkery, but weak on visceral pull. An example of Mitt Romney's overestimation of the sophistication of the electorate was when, in the third debate, he took a pass on Benghazi. I think most conservatives (with whom Mitt has only party affiliation in common) winced as Romney walked right past the best opportunity he had to portray Obama as the dishonest fraud he is in terms everyone would understand. Four dead Americans, and a President spinning and lying to mold the narrative to fit his agenda. In the end, Romney failed to differentiate himself from Obama enough for the under-informed voters to pull the trigger for him.

Ultimately the Romney/Ryan ticket will be remembered as proving that ninety minutes of brilliance cannot make up for a poorly run, disorganized campaign with a weak message and hobbled by its standard bearer, and the fact that he did not represent the core of his own party.