Author Topic: 1980 Golds and a Mentzer story  (Read 10475 times)

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
1980 Golds and a Mentzer story
« on: November 13, 2012, 10:39:08 PM »
My friend, " This photo (the one below) was taken in October, 1980. Ed Conners flew myself, Bob Reis, and Charles down for this picture. I believe it was just for a Gold's Gym promo-memrobilia shot. It was a fun day. The thing I remember most about this day was Mike and Ray Mentzer's 2/12 hour back workout with Denny Miloy at the same time they were promoting "The Heavy Duty training philosophy". This was basically 20 minutes tops per bodypart, forced and negative reps/ super intense- like 3 movements max- 2 sets each. Let's just say the workout they performed that afternoon, wasn't exactly like the book. I actually teased Mike about this in early 91' when he guest posed for us in the Nor Cal. I remember, he looked at me and said it was just a break in their normal routine. I don't think he appreciated my inquiry.

My friend, "It was a fun afternoon. They couldn't get Lou off Santa Monica Blvd. talking to passer bys. The Mentzer's had just finished a 2 1/2 hour back workout after having heavily promoted their new " Heavy Duty Training Principles" book, which was 20 minutes per bodypart with forced and negative reps. Short and sweet/ very intense. Those days were the best. Ken Waller was an animal. I wish Casey Viator was in the pic. He was the first guy I ever saw training there, and he was a beast. 365 smith machine inclines slow and controlled."

Also: "This was Santa Monica Gold's. The Mecca. 2nd and Santa Monica. Robert Blake owned the building next to the old Pussycat theater. I never saw Baretta down there though. They must have been current on their rent. "
a

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: 1980 Golds and a Mentzer story
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 10:39:58 PM »
The Mentzer's had just finished a 2 1/2 hour back workout after having heavily promoted their new " Heavy Duty Training Principles" book, which was 20 minutes per bodypart with forced and negative reps.

those books really make it look so appealing.  they make great sense scientifically.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 10:48:12 PM »
Cool pic man.  The good ol' days.  Wish I was old enough then.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 11:09:49 PM »
The Mentzer bros always have that dense look to the muscle, most other pros in the pic look very bloofy

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 11:16:33 PM »
Mentzer=surname of Germanic orgin TOPS

nevertrustanyone

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 11:23:13 PM »
Cool pic man.  The good ol' days.  Wish I was old enough then.
back then guys like you had to use a separate bath room  ;D

bigjim

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 12:44:13 AM »
My friend, " This photo (the one below) was taken in October, 1980. Ed Conners flew myself, Bob Reis, and Charles down for this picture. I believe it was just for a Gold's Gym promo-memrobilia shot. It was a fun day. The thing I remember most about this day was Mike and Ray Mentzer's 2/12 hour back workout with Denny Miloy at the same time they were promoting "The Heavy Duty training philosophy". This was basically 20 minutes tops per bodypart, forced and negative reps/ super intense- like 3 movements max- 2 sets each. Let's just say the workout they performed that afternoon, wasn't exactly like the book. I actually teased Mike about this in early 91' when he guest posed for us in the Nor Cal. I remember, he looked at me and said it was just a break in their normal routine. I don't think he appreciated my inquiry.

My friend, "It was a fun afternoon. They couldn't get Lou off Santa Monica Blvd. talking to passer bys. The Mentzer's had just finished a 2 1/2 hour back workout after having heavily promoted their new " Heavy Duty Training Principles" book, which was 20 minutes per bodypart with forced and negative reps. Short and sweet/ very intense. Those days were the best. Ken Waller was an animal. I wish Casey Viator was in the pic. He was the first guy I ever saw training there, and he was a beast. 365 smith machine inclines slow and controlled."

Also: "This was Santa Monica Gold's. The Mecca. 2nd and Santa Monica. Robert Blake owned the building next to the old Pussycat theater. I never saw Baretta down there though. They must have been current on their rent. "

See Arnold has moved on to make his millions and left all the weirdos behind. Just isnt the same without him as the central focal point

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 02:55:57 AM »

do you have the biggest neck in that pic? ;D

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 03:01:13 AM »

Amazing how all these guys had their hair and look like respectable human beings..

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 05:47:42 AM »
I keep hearing from various guys that watched Mentzer and Viator train. They said Viator trained with a lot of volume yet all you hear from the high intensity crowd is about HIT. Mentzer is the same thing. Mentzer wasn't a volume guy but he was seen lifting with more sets than what he wrote about. Maybe it was warm up sets? I know Yates use to warm up sometimes with a couple of easy sets prior to his one work set.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 05:54:57 AM »
very good time in bodybuilding back then, guys did it cause they loved it-not cause of the money
R

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 05:56:09 AM »
I keep hearing from various guys that watched Mentzer and Viator train. They said Viator trained with a lot of volume yet all you hear from the high intensity crowd is about HIT. Mentzer is the same thing. Mentzer wasn't a volume guy but he was seen lifting with more sets than what he wrote about. Maybe it was warm up sets? I know Yates use to warm up sometimes with a couple of easy sets prior to his one work set.

he trained with less volume than others at that time

later he found out that even less volume and frequency were required for best possible results through training his clients (who were mostly natties) throughout the 1990's

Bad Boy Dazza

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 05:57:14 AM »

later he found out that even less volume and frequency were required for best possible results through training his clients (who were mostly natties) throughout the 1990's

Can you tell me what routine Mentzer had for natties?  Anything online?

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 06:02:42 AM »
Can you tell me what routine Mentzer had for natties?  Anything online?

he had 3 routines

the 1st was 3 times a week on a push/pull/legs split

the 2nd was once every 4 days on a chest+back/legs/delts+arms/legs split

the 3rd was once a week: 1st workout dips and deads and 2nd workout 7 days later chins or pulldowns and squats

here's a good site where you can find lots of his work

http://www.highintensity.net/Forums/Forums.asp

Bad Boy Dazza

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 06:05:27 AM »
Nice, thanks dj  :)

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 06:06:49 AM »
Waller looks enormous though the Mentzers' compact look beats all.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 06:07:43 AM »

I followed everything he wrote and I still have a album of almost every article that came out that he wrote. I have the first article ever featured on Mike Mentzer. In the 70's I trained according to what he wrote. His training changed through his competitive years. He first used a whole body routine using a lot of Nautilus but with some conventional equipment. Then he went to a four day a week routine. He split his body in half training body parts twice a week. The split was on day one: legs, chest and triceps. Day two was back, delt and biceps. Usually training Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday though he didn't believe in using the days of the week.  From there he went to three days a week using the same split.  A body part got hit once or twice a week on a rotation. The routines he came out with when he retired was something he never did when he competed. It was really convenient to see clients once a week for 20 minutes.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 06:07:52 AM »
i ordered the heavy duty mentezer pamphlets back in 79 or 80, i wish i still had them. that type of training really hurt my joints n ligaments though
R

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 06:11:16 AM »
My friend, " This photo (the one below) was taken in October, 1980. Ed Conners flew myself, Bob Reis, and Charles down for this picture.

Are you in this picture? Where's Bob Reis?  My old friend Richard Slaney is in the pic. He was married to Mary Decker sometime early 80's.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 06:24:00 AM »
I followed everything he wrote and I still have a album of almost every article that came out that he wrote. I have the first article ever featured on Mike Mentzer. In the 70's I trained according to what he wrote. His training changed through his competitive years. He first used a whole body routine using a lot of Nautilus but with some conventional equipment. Then he went to a four day a week routine. He split his body in half training body parts twice a week. The split was on day one: legs, chest and triceps. Day two was back, delt and biceps. Usually training Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday though he didn't believe in using the days of the week.  From there he went to three days a week using the same split.  A body part got hit once or twice a week on a rotation. The routines he came out with when he retired was something he never did when he competed. It was really convenient to see clients once a week for 20 minutes.

no offense dude, coz i like you

but think about it... if he was a greedy fucking asshole then he woudn't train clients so infrequently, since he would make much more $$$ from them if he trained them much more frequently

one session every 5 to 7 days wouldn't put as much dough in his pocket as say 4 sessions a week, right?

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 06:27:25 AM »
and as a side note, he went too far IMO, as training only once a week or less, WILL NOT allow one to achieve and maintain very high level of fitness

i'd much rather be like a fit athlete who can run a mile in under 6 min than some big toady guy who loses his breath after climbing a flight of stairs :D :D :D

ob205

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 08:08:45 AM »
I followed everything he wrote and I still have a album of almost every article that came out that he wrote. I have the first article ever featured on Mike Mentzer. 

Do you have these scanned?  Any chance I could have a copy?

Yes, Mentzer went to far, the routine in the original Heavy Duty 3x a week push/pull/legs is great and very good for naturals.  Not forever, but for 6-12 months, you can make excellent gains. 

Also in the OP it states he was guest posing in 1991, that had to be a typo and more like 81 instead.  No way mentzer was in any kind of shape in 1991.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 08:10:59 AM »
and as a side note, he went too far IMO, as training only once a week or less, WILL NOT allow one to achieve and maintain very high level of fitness

i'd much rather be like a fit athlete who can run a mile in under 6 min than some big toady guy who loses his breath after climbing a flight of stairs :D :D :D

Didn't you say you were gonna post new pics today to back up your claims that you are in peak shape again....only with "bigger delts and wider lats" ?

you must look really good

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 08:39:17 AM »

Didn't you say you were gonna post new pics today to back up your claims that you are in peak shape again....only with "bigger delts and wider lats" ?

you must look really good

Did he really say he was going to post new pics!?

R.A.M.

• Getbig IV
  • BOOM!! Take a Look at this hunk of Man.
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 09:21:16 AM »
Did everyone in that picture owe Louie $20..  ???