Author Topic: Training while Pregnant  (Read 2221 times)

Traps Hoolihan

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Training while Pregnant
« on: November 30, 2005, 06:45:18 AM »
A buddy of mine from work was asking me the limitations of women training while being pregnant. In particular, Taebo exercises and Sit-ups. Does anybody know some advices :) I can give to him for his wife.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
Re: Training while Pregnant
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 06:51:58 AM »
Don't do either.  I don't think the tae bo punches, and maybe some walking and light weights is such a bad thing....but really, avoid impact- seriously.  Don't fuck around with pregnancy.  The idea is to create the safest environment for your baby; if you're still concerned with your fitness and body appearance, perhaps you're not ready to raise a child...look at it this way, her metabolism will be quite high after giving birth, so she can use that opportunity (as many celebrities do) to get in the best shape of her life. 
:-)

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 06:57:06 AM »
It was just brought to my attention that this question should ONLY be directed towards the woman's obgyn or at least a pediatrician or something....basically, a doctor, not BB enthusiasts.
:-)

Traps Hoolihan

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 06:58:57 AM »
That was my message to him too. Once you find out that you're pregnant isn't the time to get on a weight loss kick, but I told him I'd find out anyway.

Traps Hoolihan

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 07:00:11 AM »
With the amount of Trainers potentially on this board, I figured I would start here with people who maybe have encountered the same situation.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 08:03:09 AM »
A buddy of mine from work was asking me the limitations of women training while being pregnant. In particular, Taebo exercises and Sit-ups. Does anybody know some advices :) I can give to him for his wife.

Each trimester will require a different approach.  If she's been exercising all along prior to the pregnancy, and the pregnancy is going along well, then there should be no reason stop.   Pilates, yoga and swimming are very good.  Exercises that require lying flat on the back should be avoided after the first trimester.  High impact, jumping around, etc. should be taken down a notch with extra precautions during the third trimester.  Contact sports should be avoided, but the movements themselves are usually ok (for instance: a roundhouse kick).  Adequate hydration and appropriate ventilation are important in preventing the possible effects of overheating especially in the first trimester.    That's why indoor tanning is not recommended.  It not the tanning process, it's the potential of overheating that is risky.   Some studies have found shorter labor and fewer obstetric interventions in physically well-conditioned women as compared with other women along with a quicker recovery, and a quicker return to pre-pregnancy weight.  [/color]
:

Traps Hoolihan

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 08:15:39 AM »
Thanks Princess! :)

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 08:56:06 AM »
For what it's worth: A friend of mine's wife just gave birth, she has been athletic all her life, with usually two/three days a week spent in the weight room. She lifted heavy once a week. After the first trimester she switched to advance Yoga movements (which she was totally familar with...these can be demanding on anyone, even experience trainee's) with a lot of attention to posture/stretching and breathing patterns/control (she got her breathing and heartbeat down to 3 or 5 times a minute during home Yoga sessions). She even did neck bridges daily to help keep the spine in line and flexable, she told me. Everything went very well with the birth, short labor period witn no trouble at all. Doctor said it was a text book birth. She switched to becoming a vegetarian but did include dairy products in her diet. She got her fine figure back with-in a matter of three weeks after the birth, her husband happily said.

Of course all contact sports should be avoided , that's how she got pregnant in the first place. Good Luck.