Author Topic: There is only one God, in three persons: Father, Son(Jesus) and Holy Spirit  (Read 38749 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Genesis 1:26
New International Version (NIV)

Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

Genesis 18:1
The Lord appeared to Abraham near the great trees of Mamre while he was sitting at the entrance to his tent in the heat of the day.
Genesis 18:22
The men turned away and went toward Sodom, but Abraham remained standing before the Lord.
Genesis 19:24
Then the LORD rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah—from the LORD out of the heavens.

Exodus 3:14
God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I AM has sent me to you.’”
John 8:58-59
58 “Very truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!”
59 At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.

John 10:30-33
30 I and the Father are one.”
31 Again his Jewish opponents picked up stones to stone him
32 but Jesus said to them, “I have shown you many good works from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?”
33 “We are not stoning you for any good work,” they replied, “but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.”

John 14:8-9
8 Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.”
9 Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?

John 20:27-29
27 Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.”
28 Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!”
29 Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

Matthew 28:19
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

This passage was written in the time when the people had several gods. So it does not surprise me that this particular anoymous author chose to use "our"... 

bigbobs

• Getbig V
  • Islam, Nasser and Corvettes.
I find it very odd that despite posting a bunch of verses with various bolded texts, not one verse contains the topic of your thread, "There is only one God, in three persons: Father, Son(Jesus) and Holy Spirit."  Perhaps I prematurely assumed that the implication of a thread title is that the thread itself would discuss it or contain some support for it.

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
Inn semetic languages, our/we is a plural respect.

It's like in French, when you address someone there is a generic you and a you of respect which is plural.

Likewise 'our/we' is a royal plural. Arabic, Armaic and Hebrew use this commonly.

God in hebrew is Elohim. It's Eloh = 'god' but im is plural suffix. So literally it would mean 'gods' but it is used in hebrew as God.

In Arabic Allah is singular and genderless but that's another topic.

So I am sorry but you've been misled :)

God is one, trinity is a later invention and Jesus nevr thought it :)

Jesus himself preached "Hear oh israel God is one

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
I find it very odd that despite posting a bunch of verses with various bolded texts, not one verse contains the topic of your thread, "There is only one God, in three persons: Father, Son(Jesus) and Holy Spirit."  Perhaps I prematurely assumed that the implication of a thread title is that the thread itself would discuss it or contain some support for it.

It's very obvious, but I'll play along:

God talking to God, one person of the Trinity talking to another person of the Trinity.

The Lord appeared to Abraham near the great trees of Mamre while he was sitting at the entrance to his tent in the heat of the day.
The men turned away and went toward Sodom, but Abraham remained standing before the Lord.
Then the LORD rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah—from the LORD out of the heavens.

The LORD, in human form on earth, rained down burning sulfur from the LORD, in spirit form, out of the heavens.

God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I AM has sent me to you.’”
59 At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.

Jesus claims to be God.

32 but Jesus said to them, “I have shown you many good works from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?”
33 “We are not stoning you for any good work,” they replied, “but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.”

Jesus claims to be God, again.

9 Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?

27 Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.”
29 Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

Thomas calls Jesus God and worships Him, and Jesus neither stops him nor corrects him.

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

Jesus puts himself(The Son) and the Holy Spirit at the same level of God the Father.

bigbobs

• Getbig V
It's very obvious, but I'll play along:

God talking to God, one person of the Trinity talking to another person of the Trinity.

The LORD, in human form on earth, rained down burning sulfur from the LORD, in spirit form, out of the heavens.

Jesus claims to be God.

Thomas calls Jesus God and worships Him, and Jesus neither stops him nor corrects him.

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

Jesus puts himself(The Son) and the Holy Spirit at the same level of God the Father.

If it really were obvious you would not be needing the green text which explains YOUR interpretation of those verses.  If there was a verse remotely similar to the text in your thread title, "There is only one God, in three persons: Father, Son(Jesus) and Holy Spirit" then there would be no debate or need to try to explain certain verses to show that they can fit with what you want to believe.  The portion of your thread title which I bolded is the part that is non-scriptural and therefore the part which you cannot show.  Otherwise, yes there is lots of statements in scripture that there is only one God.

When I have more time this evening, God-willing, I will post verses that show that Jesus could not have been God.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
If it really were obvious you would not be needing the green text which explains YOUR interpretation of those verses.  If there was a verse remotely similar to the text in your thread title, "There is only one God, in three persons: Father, Son(Jesus) and Holy Spirit" then there would be no debate or need to try to explain certain verses to show that they can fit with what you want to believe.  The portion of your thread title which I bolded is the part that is non-scriptural and therefore the part which you cannot show.  Otherwise, yes there is lots of statements in scripture that there is only one God.

When I have more time this evening, God-willing, I will post verses that show that Jesus could not have been God.

Then by all means, instead of posting your own Bible verses pointing to the contrary, why don't you please take each one of the verses I posted and tell me what is your own interpretation?

This thread is not an attempt to convert Muslims or atheists.  You are entitled to your beliefs and your own interpretations.  I believe in freedom of religion.

I created this thread in response to claims I read in other threads that there is absolutely no evidence of the Trinity in the Bible, and also claims that Jesus never claimed to be God.  I just showed you why I, and millions of other Christians, believe that Jesus is God and that God is one in three persons.  

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
lol you skipped me huh poor whitey ex-christian here  ;D

Did you even read what I said? In your unfortunate ignorance of semetic languages, you thought 'our' and 'we' meant the trinity.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
PREACH brother loco!

Feel blessed to read this post! 

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
lol you skipped me huh poor whitey ex-christian here  ;D

Did you even read what I said? In your unfortunate ignorance of semetic languages, you thought 'our' and 'we' meant the trinity.

Sorry, a_ahmed!  I seem to have hurt your feelings.  It seems you only addressed one of the many verses that I posted.  Will you please address all the other verses too?  Thank you!

As I told bigbobs:

This thread is not an attempt to convert Muslims or atheists.  You are entitled to your beliefs and your own interpretations.  I believe in freedom of religion.

I created this thread in response to claims I read in other threads that there is absolutely no evidence of the Trinity in the Bible, and also claims that Jesus never claimed to be God.  I just showed you why I, and millions of other Christians, believe that Jesus is God and that God is one in three persons. 

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Re: There is only one God, in three persons: Father, Son(Jesus) and Holy Spirit
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 01:53:41 PM »
PREACH brother loco!

Feel blessed to read this post! 

God bless ya, brotha!    ;D

bigbobs

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 02:01:07 PM »
Then by all means, instead of posting your own Bible verses pointing to the contrary, why don't you please take each one of the verses I posted and tell me what is your own interpretation?
This thread is not an attempt to convert Muslims or atheists.  You are entitled to your beliefs and your own interpretations.  I believe in freedom of religion.

I created this thread in response to claims I read in other threads that there is absolutely no evidence of the Trinity in the Bible, and also claims that Jesus never claimed to be God.  I just showed you why I, and millions of other Christians, believe that Jesus is God and that God is one in three persons.  

Will do when I have time, and on the one condition that you also do the same when I subsequently post a multitude of verses in this thread which show that Jesus denied being God and clarified that he was a man.  Let me know.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 02:06:40 PM »
Will do when I have time, and on the one condition that you also do the same when I subsequently post a multitude of verses in this thread which show that Jesus denied being God and clarified that he was a man.  Let me know.

Thanks bigbobs!  I can't promise I'll have the time to come back any time soon to read and/or respond, but I will try my best.  I used to post a lot on this board, but life has recently gotten busier and more complicated.   :)

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 02:08:09 PM »
lol so you admit you just made that up and that in fact it has nothing to do with the trinity? You were just not aware of semetic languages.

No hurt feelings bro, I believe in God Almighty as Jesus preached and that is without the trinity ;) After all Jesus differentiated himself from God all the time!

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 02:19:38 PM »
lol so you admit you just made that up and that in fact it has nothing to do with the trinity? You were just not aware of semetic languages.

No hurt feelings bro, I believe in God Almighty as Jesus preached and that is without the trinity ;) After all Jesus differentiated himself from God all the time!

I admitted no such things, besides, all I did was post verses which speak for themselves.  You quickly lose credibility putting words in my mouth.  Don't you have any integrity?

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 02:23:45 PM »
No actually you lose credibility when you make a false claim about something such as that verse  8)

In your lack of understanding of semetic languages combined with your zeal in trinitarianism you assumed that those verses were talking about the trinity. The trinity did not exist until after Jesus left from this world.

The verses you spoke of and MANY other verses which speak of 'our', 'we' even have not a single time clicked with Jews to mean the trinity. Why? Because it has nothing to do with the trinity but rather the plural respect, the royal respect.

It is the same in the qur'an. Our and we are used over and over again. Hebrew, Arabic and the language of Jesus Aramaic all use this plural of respect.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 02:24:59 PM »
No actually you lose credibility when you portray something as something else  8)

In your lack of understanding of semetic languages combined with your zeal in trinitarianism you assumed that those verses were talking about the trinity. The trinity did not exist until after Jesus left from this world.

The verses you spoke of and MANY other verses which speak of 'our', 'we' even have not a single time clicked with Jews to mean the trinity. Why? Because it has nothing to do with the trinity but rather the plural respect, the royal respect.

It is the same in the qur'an. Our and we are used over and over again. Hebrew, Arabic and the language of Jesus Aramaic all use this plural of respect.

You talk a lot, but you don't say much.   Jesus claimed to be God many times:

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 02:25:36 PM »
So I guess you won't admit that you made false claims about those verses :)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 02:26:49 PM »
So I guess you won't admit that you made false claims about those verses :)

I did not make false claims about those verses.  They clearly speak for themselves.

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 02:34:51 PM »
No actually you did. You didn't know about semetic languages and their use of plural respect. You tried to claim that was the trinity when "our" and "we" are in the verses.

I'm pretty sure you are also not aware that the english translated bible keeps saying "God" when in fact the original scriptures say "Ellohim" (gods in the literal if you were to misunderstand semetic languages).

It's not self explanatory. That's why I gave you an explanation as you lacked knowledge on the matter.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 02:50:57 PM »
No actually you did. You didn't know about semetic languages and their use of plural respect. You tried to claim that was the trinity when "our" and "we" are in the verses.

I'm pretty sure you are also not aware that the english translated bible keeps saying "God" when in fact the original scriptures say "Ellohim" (gods in the literal if you were to misunderstand semetic languages).

It's not self explanatory. That's why I gave you an explanation as you lacked knowledge on the matter.

Actually, no, I didn't.  I am aware of your argument about Genesis 1:26.  It has been plastered all over the Internet by those who do not believe in the Trinity, Muslims are not the only ones.  

But I do not subscribe to such argument because it is flawed.  God was indeed speaking to the other persons of the Trinity, which is later confirmed in John 1.

John 1:1-3
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 He was with God in the beginning.
3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

John 1:9-14
9 The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world.
10 He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him.
11 He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him.
12 Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God—
13 children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.
14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2012, 02:57:22 PM »
Okay well I guess you are going to reteach the Hebrew language to Jews then who came way before you. After all Jesus did not speak Latin either, he spoke Aramaic as was the language of Palestine at the time. In either case, none of these are ENGLISH :)

Now you, who doesn't speak any of these languages, have come to argue with the English language, English translations about semetic languages and what they 'really mean' :)

Pretty sure the Jews know more than you then and now... and it's quite unscholarly. This is the internet of course and you're welcome to believe Santa Clause is Jesus if you so chose to but it's foolishness.

I know you really really really really want the trinity to be true, so you will remake whatever you see fit anyway to fit it in your doctrine. But unfortunately you are only making yourself look foolish... by making false statements about verses and completely misrepresenting what they mean or the language they are spoken in.

Obviously in the English language now a days no one speaks in the royal plural. There is no English king that goes "we have decided" when refering to himself. Your limited understanding is skewing the truth in the matter.

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2012, 03:09:28 PM »
Here don't let this silly ex-christian now Muslim confuse you :) :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majestic_plural

What we really care about is the part refering to the torah:

Jewish scholars point to the majestic plural or the royal we in many verses of the Hebrew Bible or Tanakh. "Obviously, the plural form is used in the same way as in the divine appellation 'Elohim', to indicate the all-inclusiveness of God's attributes of authority and power, the plurality of majesty. It is customary for authority figures to speak of themselves as if they were a plurality. Hence, Absalom said to Ahithophel, "Give your counsel what we shall do" (2 Samuel 16:20). The context shows that he was seeking advice for himself yet he refers to himself as 'we' (see also Ezra 4:16-19).[5]

The tradition of the royal we may also be traced to the Mughals of India and Sultans of Banu Abbas and Banu Umayyah. The royal we is used to express the dignity or highest position either understood as strictly hierarchical or as referential to an alternate "higher" than ego identity.

There are many verses in the Qur'an where Allah speaks using the Arabic pronoun nahnu (meaning "we") or its associated suffix. "We" created, "we" sent down, etc.[6] It is also used in the second person in formal diplomatic language, associated with a style or honorific. For instance, the President of Egypt would be addressed as فخامتكم Fakhāmatakum, "Your (plural) Excellency" in formal diplomatic communications (e.g. diplomatic telegrams).

This usage is also popular among the speakers of the Batangan dialect of Tagalog, while some actors and politicians such as Philippine President Benigno Aquino III have been known to use the Tagalog exclusive form in giving interviews.

bigbobs

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2012, 08:43:15 PM »

Ahmed already addressed this when describing the royal plural.

Honestly I'm not sure why you pasted these excerpts, but if it was to suggest that "Lord" = "God" then refer 1 Peter 3:6 where Sarah calls Abraham Lord.  Therefore, if you believe Lord = God then Abraham too is God.  The word Lord is simply a title of authority, ever hear of "Lord Vader"? :)

See also 1 Cornithians 8:6 "yet for us there is only one God, the father, and one Lord Jesus Christ."  This verse clearly differentiates the words God and Lord from each other.

If God = "I am" then Jesus' quote becomes "before Abraham was born, God!”
This definitely is far from Jesus claiming to be God.

33 “We are not stoning you for any good work,” they replied, “but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.”.

Someitmes to show solidarity with my wife I say "My wife and I are one."  This does not mean we are literally one being.  But I'm guessing you're also thinking that the fact the opponents started throwing stones on Jesus and saying "because you, a mere man, claim to be God" is evidence.  However, you conveniently skipped the verses before and after this excerpt.  Looking before, verse 24 shows that the Jews were asking him if he is the Christ (not asking him if he was God), to which he confirmed that he is (note Christ does not equal God because the title is used for other humans (Isaiah 45:1, Cyrus of Persian is called God's Christ, just one example).  So they ask Jesus if he is Christ and he replies Yes, then they stone him and accuse him of claiming to be God.  In response (in verse 34) "Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your Law, "I have said you are gods?"  If he called them "gods" to whom the word of God came - and the scripture cannot be broken - what about one whom the Father setapart as his very own and sent into the world.  Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, "I am God's Son?"  So here Jesus explains that even if he had said something which they misinterpreted to mean that Jesus is claiming to be God (ex. confirming that he is Christ), they should realise that some human beings were called "gods" in the Bible (ex. Psalms 82:6-8) which shows God has honoured some human beings by calling them "gods."  This is just a figurative expression, but Jesus was reminding the Jews who were stoning him so that they should understand that even if he says something that they take as him claiming to be god, they should take it as a figurative expression.

But in John 5:37 Jesus clearly said that no one has seen God at any time.  1 John 4:12 also says that no one has ever seen God.  If Jesus was God, then whoever has seen Jesus would have seen God.  The verses above you posted, saying "Whoever has seen me has seen the Father" mean that by knowing Jesus, one gets to know God, since Jesus taught about God.

Will respond to the others later, out of time for now.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2012, 01:48:38 AM »
I find it very odd that despite posting a bunch of verses with various bolded texts, not one verse contains the topic of your thread, "There is only one God, in three persons: Father, Son(Jesus) and Holy Spirit."  Perhaps I prematurely assumed that the implication of a thread title is that the thread itself would discuss it or contain some support for it.
VERY POOR LOGIC, The word Bible or the Bible is not mentioned or talked about in the Bible