Author Topic: What would be your Mount Rushmore of wrestling managers?  (Read 17165 times)

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: What would be your Mount Rushmore of wrestling managers?
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2012, 09:56:05 AM »

That was most of the WWF roster (which was then imitated by WCW to a large extent)
Duke "The Dumpster,"
Adam Bomb,
Doink and Dink,
Skinner,
Repo Man,
The Survivor Series Turkey...

Granted, some of those guys were good workers, like Matt Borne and Steve Keirn; they just had stupid gimmicks that were no fault of theirs. Undertaker seemed to be the forerunner to a lot of those. On his debut night, the old man really wanted to build him up and gave strict orders to the locker room that Taker was not to leave his feet.

Oh for sure.  I don't understand it, but it certainly has stayed around.

And who would have thought Kane would have basically done the same thing?
How's that for a push?

Taker is the only Federation gimmick from that era to endure this long. He's gone through many revisions and variations, but he's always been the Undertaker, and everyone behind that character - from Calloway himself, to his opponents, the bookers, Vince, and anyone else involved in any way - deserves much credit to the character's longevity.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2012, 04:47:09 AM »
I think a Manager should have "range", Ellering was good but only had LOD and Snake for a short time.

Heenan - no brainer, had a stable, Hennig, Bundy, Studd, Flair and the list goes on
Albano - gotta love him, had a number of great wrestlers; Muraco, Samoans then later Bulldogs etc
Gary Hart - loved the obscurity, Muta, Missing link etc
Jimmy Hart - Personally I didn't like him but you do have to love his jackets, megaphone etc.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2012, 12:15:32 PM »
I think a Manager should have "range", Ellering was good but only had LOD and Snake for a short time.

Heenan - no brainer, had a stable, Hennig, Bundy, Studd, Flair and the list goes on
Albano - gotta love him, had a number of great wrestlers; Muraco, Samoans then later Bulldogs etc
Gary Hart - loved the obscurity, Muta, Missing link etc
Jimmy Hart - Personally I didn't like him but you do have to love his jackets, megaphone etc.

Throw out Jimmy Hart and you have a solid 3....

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2012, 08:44:49 AM »
Throw out Jimmy Hart and you have a solid 3....

ok you win. Paul E back in the Dangerous Alliance

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2012, 11:04:07 AM »
- Jimmy Hart

- Bobby Heenan

- J.J. Dillon

- Paul Bearer

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2012, 11:09:58 AM »

That was most of the WWF roster (which was then imitated by WCW to a large extent)
Duke "The Dumpster,"
Adam Bomb,
Doink and Dink,
Skinner,
Repo Man,
The Survivor Series Turkey...

Granted, some of those guys were good workers, like Matt Borne and Steve Keirn; they just had stupid gimmicks that were no fault of theirs. Undertaker seemed to be the forerunner to a lot of those. On his debut night, the old man really wanted to build him up and gave strict orders to the locker room that Taker was not to leave his feet.
How's that for a push?

Taker is the only Federation gimmick from that era to endure this long. He's gone through many revisions and variations, but he's always been the Undertaker, and everyone behind that character - from Calloway himself, to his opponents, the bookers, Vince, and anyone else involved in any way - deserves much credit to the character's longevity.

Indeed! Part of the Undertaker's longevity was Paul Bearer, which is why I put him on my Rushmore of managers. I believe 'Taker would have gone the way of Adam Bomb or Duke "The Dumpster", had they not replaced Brother Love with Paul Bearer to be the Deadman's manager.

That gave the character its sticking power. Of course, the career-defining moment (in my view) was THIS:

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2012, 07:46:32 AM »
ok you win. Paul E back in the Dangerous Alliance

I always thought Hart was pure garbage.  the ONLY reason he was given so much airtime is his relationship with Hogan.  "Yeaaaahhh baaaabbyy"   ::)

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2013, 11:54:25 AM »
Heenan, JHart, Dillon, Cornette

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2013, 12:37:45 PM »
I always thought Hart was pure garbage.  the ONLY reason he was given so much airtime is his relationship with Hogan.  "Yeaaaahhh baaaabbyy"   ::)

What's the back story on this? WWF made their friendship "public knowledge" towards the end of Hogan's stay there in '93. But, how did they hook up?

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2013, 12:46:13 PM »
It's also good to see Sherri's name come up a good bit here. She was sexy and a hard worker, for sure.

Shawn Michaels said he always enjoyed working with her because if anyone took liberties with, or gave him a hard time in the ring, he'd toss them through the ropes and Sherri would lay in with those high heels and stiff the shit out of them on the floor.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2013, 11:36:28 AM »
I've never really liked the Undertaker at all.

8 moves.... Really "phenomenal" ::)

I do agree that if anyone else had been that gimmick it would have died as fast as Isaac Yankem.

Thank you!!!  I feel exactly the same way.   I never liked him from day 1 and even now if I have to watch that suicide dive over the top ropes (that he sometimes doesn't even clear) one more time I am going to cry.

The setup for the Walking The Ropes only to jump off with a closed fist to the shoulder?  Pfftt!

And his Hell's Gate submission is beyond stupid.  Last thing you want in a match is to end up on your back with your legs in the air (no homo) with your opponents weight over you and bearing down (no homo x 2).  I never understood why someone just didn't grab his tights and lean forward, he already did all the other work for them by getting into position and off balance.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2013, 01:15:51 PM »

What's the back story on this? WWF made their friendship "public knowledge" towards the end of Hogan's stay there in '93. But, how did they hook up?

I really don't know, but he was such a Hogan nut hugger and I'm sure stroking Hulks ego was about all it took/takes.