Author Topic: Wrist pain  (Read 1690 times)

Blood

• Getbig II
  • Do something with your life...get fat.
Wrist pain
« on: December 01, 2005, 01:18:17 PM »
Whenever I bench heavy (which for me is like 295-300) I get a really bad pain in my left wrist. I've tried forearm exercises to strengthen it, but it still hurts under big weight. Anyone with a similar problem or advice, cause this thing is pissin me off.
SRHS Raiders

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Wrist pain
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 06:13:38 PM »
Are you griping and resting the bar on the palm/pads of the hands or are you resting the bar on the heel of the hands? Direct leverage on the heels of the hand reduces the stress on the wrist rather than setting the bar back towards the palm and gripping the bar that way (thumbs over the bar). Your going to have a false grip on the bar with the thumbs somewhat under, so apply caution at first if your not familar with this hand style of resting the bar on the heel of the hand. Hopefully you have alert spotters or are training in a power rack of some sorts. More power is generated this way, your pushing leverage is better.

300 is a good benching weight, don't let anyone tell you it's not. I find that some men, when beginning to get into heavier benching, will rest the bar on the heel of the hand by instinct. Tends to be too much wrist/forearm strain with the regular gripping style. Good Luck.

muscle19

• Getbig IV
  • Lifes To Short To Be Small!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 11:45:28 AM »
if ur wrists are not locked and straight for the lift than there is extra added pressure which im taking ur feeling. it could be carple tunnel and my suggestion is to get wrist wraps for when u do heavy bench or anything heavy for that matter.

muscle
muscle

Blood

• Getbig II
  • Do something with your life...get fat.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 10:58:47 AM »
I've got some gloves w/ wrist supports that help some, but I really want to see if its a technique problem. It may just be that my wrists need strengthening. Thanks for the advice.
SRHS Raiders