Author Topic: Bought an Ab Wheel  (Read 9697 times)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Bought an Ab Wheel
« on: November 22, 2012, 03:35:44 AM »
So I picked one up at amazon.ca for a few bucks. I didn't think that it would hold up during the first workout (let alone for the past 2 weeks) but it's pretty solid for such a small piece of equipment.

I've been doing 3 giant sets every 2 days of rollouts, oblique rollouts and piked rollouts. Piked rollouts are one of the hardest and coolest exercises I have ever attempted.

Anyway, figured I'd share.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: Bought an Ab Wheel
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 04:22:59 AM »
So I picked one up at amazon.ca for a few bucks. I didn't think that it would hold up during the first workout (let alone for the past 2 weeks) but it's pretty solid for such a small piece of equipment.

I've been doing 3 giant sets every 2 days of rollouts, oblique rollouts and piked rollouts. Piked rollouts are one of the hardest and coolest exercises I have ever attempted.

i have never tried these.. did you get a good workout?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 04:35:57 AM »
i have never tried these.. did you get a good workout?

i'm using as part of my existing workouts... piked rollouts are crazy:

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 04:46:16 AM »
looks hard...

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 05:22:33 AM »
looks hard...

i was impressed... easier than it looks, but still very hard. you need to really focus on your abs and low back.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 05:42:54 AM »
would imagine your lats and shoulders get a bit of a workout too...i mean indirect.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 07:51:49 AM »
I laugh at the guys on here who laugh (dismissively) at the ab wheel.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 08:20:43 AM »
That thing kicks my ass. :-[
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 08:43:02 AM »
i really want to try it.... ;D

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 08:48:03 AM »
Super cheap, like $10-$12.

WOOO when you're done playing around start having someone put plates on your back for more resistance.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 08:50:26 AM »
Montaque, I share your laughter.  And if it looks hard, all the more reason to try one out. Your working the full range of the ab wall, plus the obliques, with one exercise.. The lat's and upper back are also recruited, but try keeping the focus on the function of the abs themselves. If having lower back problems (herniated disc, etc...or even a potential ab hernia) this movement may not be for you until the problem is corrected. The closest  thing to this exercise, with weights, would the the straight arm pullover, with the bent arm pullove following.

For folks who never used one before, best to start with the knees on the floor. Some try for a full extension the first time they use a Ab Wheel and find they can't get back up, so maybe a few dozen half reps to start out, for a few workouts. The body will adapt quickly, so starting with the toes on the floor shouldn't take long. As advancing, put the feet on a box, chair or even table. That girl (I think) gives an excellent example of the standing roller movement. That is a good goal to shoot for, if getting serious about this exercise.

Usually done on a smooth surface (gym , hardwood, cement floor, etc), trying it on a light rug will offer more resistance. On a heavy ply rug, not so much success for most people. Some will have a BB plate placed on their backs, though extreme for most folks.

There are single and double wheel rollers, and though they may look not that solid, they tend to be. For a $5 investment, can't go wrong.  Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 08:52:53 AM »
A weight vest would be better and i saw this on Ross fitness in youtube or a rucksack

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »
I saw a hunk of junk one in a store and I bought one. After the first time I used it my abs hurt more than they ever did doing any other exercise. They also make a wheel that you can put on your feet I would like to try. You kind of pike up rolling your legs in.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2012, 01:02:40 PM »
I bought one for 6 bucks over ten years ago, it still works fine, and still kicks my ass. 

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 06:18:13 PM »
Great piece of equipment, IMO anyone who is serious about training should have one or at least have access to one.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2012, 06:49:24 PM »
Super cheap, like $10-$12.

WOOO when you're done playing around start having someone put plates on your back for more resistance.

i tried it with my 40lb weight vest on day one because i didn't yet understand what i was in for...

failed immediately...

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 07:40:48 AM »
Tried it aeons ago - very hard.
As a beginner one has to start from the knees I guess.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2012, 09:17:48 AM »

shaquille o'neal the nba basketball star was said to have used the ab wheel the last time he got in good shape for an nba season. dropped like 40 lbs. i think the origin of the ab wheel is the old training tool the swingbell.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2012, 09:42:43 AM »
yes the swingbell was used a lot for curls.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2012, 09:58:21 AM »
 ;D

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2012, 10:09:26 AM »
Ah yes, another forgotten piece of training equipment..the Swing Bell. The Swing Bell must have been used as an Ab Roller back in the day. The BB was then. (thanks for the pic..Funk51)

Used for pullovers, front shoulder raises, curls and triceps, as well as the swings between the legs, as shown in the drawing. Can build stamina & flexibility with the between the legs swing and also a good warmup movement.

Old timers had also used two DB's for the Ab roller type exercises, as well as reverse flys where the DB's rolled out to the side and back again (your facing down). These DB's were the self tightening type and were set to allow the plates to remains loose and roll. These two exercises can be good gymnastic training aids, I would guess. They do a lot of leverage movements and holds.

Another forgotten piece of equipment seems to be the Heavy Rope, coming in different weights.  Now that was a prime endurance builder and fat burner.Probably way too hard for the average BB'er. Of course, if your training with serious intent, very hard can be very good after a while. Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2012, 10:43:45 AM »
back on topic... you can use a Barbell too... ;)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2012, 11:43:41 AM »
Yes, real old school. Probably a BB (the old globe type I wonder) was used first, way back in the day. Better grip selection with a BB, of course.

One are DB swings, where the hands change back and forth, work pretty well also. Can work up to some impressive weigh, though that's not the main object of the exercise. Good Luck.
F

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2012, 02:51:18 PM »
swingbell looks awesome... i'm looking around online but it looks like they're extinct

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2012, 04:14:56 PM »
swingbell looks awesome... i'm looking around online but it looks like they're extinct

It's a simple enough apparatus that you could probably make one yourself.
All it would take is a length of 1.5 in. diameter pipe from the hardware store. Purchase some spring clamps/collars for standard-sized dumb bells (you can usually find these sold in pairs in the exercise department at sporting goods stores). Load on your standard plates as in the illustrations, and you're set.

Page 45 (type 49 into the page field box for quick access) of this Bob Hoffman manuscript describes several techniques using the swing bell: http://www.scribd.com/doc/50891871/40/COURSE-No-13-SWING-BELL-COURSE