Author Topic: RIP Dallas' JR Larry Hagman  (Read 7537 times)

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
Re: RIP Dallas' JR Larry Hagman
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2012, 10:22:53 PM »
RIP. Dallas and Jeannie of course - but he was also in a 60s movie called "Fail Safe" that I liked...

Fail Safe was an awesome movie......practically the whole movie took place in one room

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2012, 01:29:37 AM »
Another classic photo...

paradoxno1

• Getbig II
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2012, 04:07:17 AM »
Although we might all wake up in a year and find it was just a dream.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2012, 12:45:54 PM »
Although we might all wake up in a year and find it was just a dream.

good one ;)

emerald37

• Getbig III
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2012, 01:27:38 PM »
I enjoyed watching Dallas back in the day, Larry Hagman was awsome!

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2012, 03:15:49 PM »
I enjoyed watching Dallas back in the day, Larry Hagman was awsome!

he was....J.R. was a very compelling character

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2012, 03:22:52 PM »
rip jr

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2012, 03:23:48 PM »
i always hated when my parents had to watch dallas when i was a kid at night and made me get away from the tv
A

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2012, 12:00:12 AM »
http://xfinity.comcast.net/blogs/tv/2012/11/24/death-of-iconic-star-creates-challenge-for-dallas-producers/

Death of Iconic Star Creates Challenge for ‘Dallas’ Producers

The writers and producers of TNT’s “Dallas” now face the challenge of creating a storyline that will do justice to the iconic status of their star, Larry Hagman, and the legendary character he played, J.R. Ewing.

Hagman, 81, died Friday afternoon in a Dallas hospital. At the time of his death, he was on the TNT series playing the role that made him world famous three decades ago — J.R. on the original “Dallas” on CBS. Season One of the new “Dallas” aired last summer on TNT, and the first six episodes of Season Two have already been filmed, with Hagman, according to this story on the Hollywood Reporter Web site.

Season Two is scheduled to premiere Jan. 28, THR said.

The challenge for the show’s writers: How do they explain J.R.’s sudden absence? And even more importantly, how do they craft a send-off for J.R. and Hagman that will be equal to the character, the actor and the show?

The THR story suggests that the show’s producers may have been “caught off-guard” by Hagman’s death — which may mean they had no inkling that his cancer had progressed past the critical stage. In fact, none of the accounts of Hagman’s death Saturday morning contain details about how he died, such as how long he’d been hospitalized.

The show’s executive producers, Cynthia Cidre and Michael M. Robin, issued a statement about Hagman’s death that gave no indication of what they may be doing to handle his death in upcoming “Dallas” episodes that have yet to be written. “Larry Hagman was a giant, a larger-than-life personality whose iconic performance as J.R. Ewing will endure as one of the most indelible in entertainment history,” the statement said, according to this story. “He truly loved portraying this globally recognized character, and he leaves a legacy of entertainment, generosity and grace. Everyone at Warner Bros. and in the Dallas family is deeply saddened by Larry’s passing, and our thoughts are with his family and dear friends during this difficult time.”

We can’t resist giving you our own take on that statement: It seems highly impersonal, and likely crafted by a corporate p.r. person. We hope these producers will get together to write a more heart-felt send-off for Hagman on “Dallas” than this cold statement would indicate they’re capable of. We’re just sayin’ … But having said that, we acknowledge that it’s also possible these producers have not had time to get their heads around the sad news of Hagman’s death, particularly since it fell in the middle of the holiday weekend.

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2012, 01:16:39 PM »
Early 80s Dallas was amazingly popular in Holland and Belgium. I was very young but I was allowed to watch the show. I remember Pamela was hot, and Sue Ellen's sister, can't remember her name.
Hagman was a terrific actor in Dallas, better than the rest combined. Some years ago i read that his secret was that JR was mean, but always predictable, so he was never threatening.
I like Cliff Barnes too, the all-time loser who adored Chinese food because in his youth they never had any money to go out to a decent restaurant.
Later we watched Dynasty too, but it never had what Dallas had.

RIP JR EWING  he's at the Heavenly Ewing Barbecue, pushing Cliff in the pool over and over again. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2012, 01:18:16 PM »
Who can forget the most epic intro of all.

This TV-series shaped my image of the Americans as a young lad.

Maybe we got stuff in common after all, Kwonny.... ;)

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2012, 10:10:11 PM »
http://xfinity.comcast.net/blogs/tv/2012/12/10/dallas-plans-funeral-for-j-r-ewing/

Dallas Plans Funeral for J.R. Ewing

Three weeks after television icon Larry Hagman passed away due to complications from cancer, “Dallas” is lining up its own funeral for Hagman’s famed alter ego J.R. Ewing.

TVLine reports that “Dallas” will lay one of television’s greatest villains to rest on the eighth episode of the upcoming season, which will air on March 11 and a number of veterans from the original version of the show will show up to pay their final respects.

Despite his failing health, Hagman was able to complete several episodes of the show before his death. According to the story, “although production was not significantly impacted, producers quickly began crafting a proper sendoff — one that is rumored to feature a number of returning Dallas vets (including several that have not yet been seen on the TNT version.)”

The show is slated to return to TNT on Jan. 28.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2012, 11:09:29 PM »
  RIP

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2013, 09:24:18 PM »
http://xfinity.comcast.net/blogs/tv/2013/03/09/tnts-mourning-glory-stars-turn-out-for-j-r-s-dallas-funeral/

TNT’s Mourning Glory: Stars Turn Out for J.R.’s ‘Dallas’ Funeral

It’s the TV funeral of the year.

In fact, it may be the only TV funeral of the year, since the deaths of legendary TV characters don’t happen all that often during the production of a TV show. And then, even rarer is the opportunity to actually stage a funeral for the character.

But that’s what happens Monday night on “Dallas” (9/8c on TNT), which lays to rest its most notorious figure — John Ross “J.R.” Ewing Jr., played by the late Larry Hagman.

Hagman died of complications from cancer on Nov. 23 at age 81, midway into the shooting of the sixth episode of the current, second season of the new “Dallas” on TNT.

Ever since then, “Dallas” fans have wondered how the show would deal with Hagman’s death.

On Monday night, they’ll get their answer — with a wake, a funeral and a handful of twists and turns seemingly engineered and initiated by J.R. from beyond the grave in a sign that the spirit of J.R. will continue to be felt on “Dallas” long after his death.

The title of the episode — “J.R.’s Masterpiece” — alludes to a scheme J.R. was in the midst of carrying out when he died, though we don’t learn fully what this “Masterpiece” is exactly in Monday’s episode.

How do I know this? Because TNT made the episode available to TV scribes before its airdate. And since I just watched it, I can tell you it’s well-worth watching. For one thing, the episode represents a “who’s who” of real-life Dallas luminaries, plus a number of “Dallas” stalwarts who all gather to bury J.R., and even to praise him in some cases.

Among those to watch out for: Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban and Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings.

And from the fictional world of “Dallas” — particularly the old one — look for: Ted Shackelford, 66 (Gary Ewing), Ken Kercheval, 77 (Cliff Barnes), Steve Kanaly, 66 (Ray Krebbs), Charlene Tilton, 54 (Lucy Ewing) and Cathy Podewell, 49 (Cally Harper Ewing).

We won’t spoil the experience by revealing anything else about what happens in the episode. But, as you can imagine, the death and subsequent funeral of J.R. brings some family members together, and drives others even farther apart.

We didn’t know Larry Hagman, but we like to think he’d be proud of the way “Dallas” is sending off J.R. — with a considerable amount of mourning, heartfelt eulogies and a whole lot o’ mystery.

“Dallas” — featuring the funeral of J.R. Ewing — airs Monday night at 9/8c on TNT.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2013, 11:28:52 PM »
RIP