Author Topic: Just finished watching Prometheus  (Read 4354 times)

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
Just finished watching Prometheus
« on: November 30, 2012, 03:10:30 PM »
Godawful shite. Was it a competition to see how many cliches can be stuffed in two hours?

I hope Scott does not attempt a sequel to Blade Runner, the wanker.

magikusar

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Ayn Rand
Re: Just finished watching Prometheus
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 03:12:11 PM »
huge ad blitz and movie sux0r

I really hate that like 8 months out ads

I wanted my money back

fassbender good but rest garbage

plot so fulla holes like swiss cheese

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 03:15:30 PM »
Godawful shite. Was it a competition to see how many cliches can be stuffed in two hours?

Look to the possibly upcoming Elephantmen for a Blade Runnersque movie.

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 03:21:24 PM »
Look to the possibly upcoming Elephantmen for a Blade Runnersque movie.

I can tell from the title it will be something original and out of left field. I just hope Ridley Scott keeps his paws off it, lest it be made "accessible".

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 03:23:50 PM »
Prometheus was good. Many of the people who were disappointed were Alien fans looking for an Alien prequel. I would prefer Spaihts' script.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 03:32:34 PM »
I can tell from the title it will be something original and out of left field. I just hope Ridley Scott keeps his paws off it, lest it be made "accessible".
Elephantmen will be based on the comic/graphic novel of the same title. Based in 2259, where Human/Animal hybrids are trying to fit in human society. These human hybrids were created when Africa and China went to war and Europe was ravaged by a virus. These hybrids were created by genetic manipulation of Elephant, Rhino, Hippo, Giraffe, Croc, Warthog and Human DNA,  implanted in kidnapped African women, and when the fetuses came to term, ripped out of the dying mothers.
They then were taught and trained to be warriors.
Now, 15,000 of them roam the earth... The most celebrated one, Obadiah Horn, who is half Rhino, half human, is engaged to a human, a beautiful African woman.

A movie about genetics, the future, "racism", procreation, sex, power, violence...all the key words.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 03:33:34 PM »

Good rant. Now, please explain.

magikusar

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Ayn Rand
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 03:41:25 PM »
Elephantmen will be based on the comic/graphic novel of the same title. Based in 2259, where Human/Animal hybrids are trying to fit in human society. These human hybrids were created when Africa and China went to war and Europe was ravaged by a virus. These hybrids were created by genetic manipulation of Elephant, Rhino, Hippo, Giraffe, Croc, Warthog and Human DNA,  implanted in kidnapped African women, and when the fetuses came to term, ripped out of the dying mothers.
Now, 15,000 of them roam the earth... The most celebrated one, Obadiah Horn, who is half Rhino, half human, is engaged to a human, a beautiful African woman.

A movie about genetics, the future, "racism", procreation, sex, power, violence...all the key words.

I am so tired of racism is scifi.  Save that liberal arts philosoph major faggotry for chix flix or hippie flix.

scifi is for big questions and tek and adventure

no adding lasers to whiny art films

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 03:54:41 PM »
Good rant. Now, please explain.

You got me started pal :)

Only one character in the movie- the android. The rest? Cardboard cut-outs. The ice-cold blond bitch boss, the cool black character (see: magical negro stereotype), the crazy and unorthodox tech guy (don't tell me you didn't know that ginger bastard would eventually turn into a monster from the first minute he popped into the screen). Not to mention... where were the protagonists?

A plot based on an Erich von Daeniken book. He's the guy who wrote a book in the 60s about ancient astronauts. It was very popular with the hippies. In fact, von Daeniken was in jail at the time (he's a known crook) and was trying to make a quick buck. He just made the whole thing up.

Tired old cliches: scared people trying to be cute to unknown and dangerous species who then immediately kill them in gruesome ways.

Plot holes: where the fuck was that octopus thing hiding all the time and how come noone noticed anything?

Plain ridiculous: the octopus thing turning into a giant octopus thing in the end, mwhahahahahhaha, it must have eaten all the food in the spaceship.

Plain stupid: the Vickers bitch running in length from a falling object, whereas she could have run sideways. Obviously they needed to kill her off.

Ending: My boyfriend is dead, my crew is dead, our spaceship is in pieces, but hey I'll know what I'll do next, I'll go the engineers' planet so they can use me as a lab rat (Sir Ridley: "Hey, we needed to set the stage for the sequel")  LOL

I could go on man.

How the might have fallen.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 03:57:39 PM »
I am so tired of racism is scifi.  Save that liberal arts philosoph major faggotry for chix flix or hippie flix.

scifi is for big questions and tek and adventure

no adding lasers to whiny art films
all you latched on was "racism"....
And neglected the whole DNA manipulation to create Elephantmen---the whole effing premise. Giant walking, talking Hippos, Elephants, Crocs, Giraffes, Warthogs, with humanoid bodies, just as smart as humans, performing human jobs. They were created to be sterile---no elephantwoman created. Said beings are not permitted to have children, nor marry human women. But, what is really human? What dictates being "human".
How does one deal with sentient beings that were created to destroy humans? There are far more questions and topics than racism...it makes you think.
The graphic novels are very Blade Runner-sque.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 04:03:51 PM »
You got me started pal :)

Only one character in the movie- the android. The rest? Cardboard cut-outs. The ice-cold blond bitch boss, the cool black character (see: magical negro stereotype), the crazy and unorthodox tech guy (don't tell me you didn't know that ginger bastard would eventually turn into a monster from the first minute he popped into the screen). Not to mention... where were the protagonists?

A plot based on an Erich von Daeniken book. He's the guy who wrote a book in the 60s about ancient astronauts. It was very popular with the hippies. In fact, von Daeniken was in jail at the time (he's a known crook) and was trying to make a quick buck. He just made the whole thing up.

Tired old cliches: scared people trying to be cute to unknown and dangerous species who then immediately kill them in gruesome ways.

Plot holes: where the fuck was that octopus thing hiding all the time and how come noone noticed anything?

Plain ridiculous: the octopus thing turning into a giant octopus thing in the end, mwhahahahahhaha, it must have eaten all the food in the spaceship.

Plain stupid: the Vickers bitch running in length from a falling object, whereas she could have run sideways. Obviously they needed to kill her off.

I could go on man.

How the might have fallen.
I liked the android, too, but he was Fassbender. And other than that, it's a nutty Erich von Daniken thingy or/an octopus trope you have a problem with? I see a theme.    :D   

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 04:07:09 PM »
I liked the android, too, but he was Fassbender. And other than that, it's a nutty Erich von Daniken thingy or/an octopus trope you have a problem with? I see a theme.    :D  

I guess I have a problem with trailers firing me up and then the movie comes out and you realise the trailer was better ;D

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 04:10:09 PM »
From what I've heard is the script was butchered, not by Scott, but from Damon Lindelof of "Lost" fame.  I think the directors cut will fill in a lot of the missing holes from Lindelof's writing style.

I think when totally left alone Scott can still bang out a winner, but this film seemed to have a lot of politics floating around it.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 04:19:51 PM »
Giant octopus fetus grows into huge octo-monster without food...then gets a snack, then self-procreates and produces a The Alien...

Old ass frail man with tons of money wants to live forever, funds the whole thing, and then dies at the hands of a healthy 8-9 foot tall, bald, muscular dude, epic symbolism.

Android with a slight bent for creating chaos, must rely on someone that meant to hurt.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 04:54:14 PM »

bump

fucking terrible

Nicademus

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 04:59:36 PM »
Prometheus was good. Many of the people who were disappointed were Alien fans looking for an Alien prequel. I would prefer Spaihts' script.

I agree.  Not a big Aliens fan however.

POTA

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 05:49:59 PM »
I was disappointed for the same reason as OP -- it was one massive cliche.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 08:04:37 PM »
Saw it and was disappointed.  I was concerned when I heard Damon lindelof was involved and all my fears proved true. 
A

Nomad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 10:16:59 PM »

I am actually very intriguied. Finally something of an original idea ( from my point of view ).
all drugs - TPPIIP

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2012, 12:24:59 AM »
Old ass frail man with tons of money wants to live forever, funds the whole thing, and then dies at the hands of a healthy 8-9 foot tall, bald, muscular dude, epic symbolism.

Epic schmoe symbolism

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2012, 01:57:10 AM »
I thought it was good. I'm not a sci-fi fan in the slightest but don't understand all the negative reviews.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2012, 02:05:34 AM »
I am actually very intriguied. Finally something of an original idea ( from my point of view ).
Written by an Englishman, in America...It takes an Englishman to come up with an original idea these days

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2012, 02:32:33 AM »
i thought it was good, yes there were some silly parts but i was intrigued mysterious "engineers."

can't wait for the sequel, i hope it directly follows noomi and fassbender into an alien world.

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2012, 03:36:14 AM »
Written by an Englishman, in America...It takes an Englishman to come up with an original idea these days

Have you watched Sunshine? The comparison with Prometheus is unavoidable and while Sunshine is far from a perfect movie it's funny how it comes out on top, it didn't have a sixth of Prometheus's budget and little marketing at all.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2012, 03:45:17 AM »
i thought it was good

the characters were stereotypical

but the whole premise of the movie is that the android is capable of the humanity the main characters lack
T