Author Topic: Just finished watching Prometheus  (Read 4359 times)

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
Re: Just finished watching Prometheus
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2012, 03:47:31 AM »
but the whole premise of the movie is that the android is capable of the humanity the main characters lack

and that there's always an alternative motive and Floyd.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2012, 04:49:00 AM »
i thought it was good

the characters were stereotypical

but the whole premiise of the movie is that the android is capable of the humanity the main characters lack
really? That android was only capable of effing with things...and it still looked like he still didn't understand what it meant to be human, even in the end.

Most of what we saw from the characters, was the wide spectrum of humanity. Greed, love, lust, power, malevolence, compassion, etc.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2012, 04:53:46 AM »
Creature were extremely bad - "alien" and racebugger looked horrendous.
The Navigator was very well made though the face was ratarded.

MikMaq

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2012, 05:42:36 AM »
I donno I think your crazy to be critical of the movie, sci fi these days has gone to shit.

My standards are so fucking low to what makes a good sci fi, that I'm pleased. It was super predictable and cliche, but I'm happy the cliche's were there. I got what I wanted it's the nerds version of the 80's action movies. 

It's almost mildly ironic that in a day and age, when sci fi, is incredibly easy to make, and totally on par with how our lives are lived, they are never made.

Anyhow the last good era for sci fi was in the 90's.

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2012, 06:16:27 AM »
Prometheus was a great movie.

It finally explained the origins of the space jockey and the birth of the alien on how it was created..

MikMaq

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2012, 06:22:16 AM »
all you latched on was "racism"....
And neglected the whole DNA manipulation to create Elephantmen---the whole effing premise. Giant walking, talking Hippos, Elephants, Crocs, Giraffes, Warthogs, with humanoid bodies, just as smart as humans, performing human jobs. They were created to be sterile---no elephantwoman created. Said beings are not permitted to have children, nor marry human women. But, what is really human? What dictates being "human".
How does one deal with sentient beings that were created to destroy humans? There are far more questions and topics than racism...it makes you think.
The graphic novels are very Blade Runner-sque.
Meh I think sci fi needs to move away from monsters and cheap action sequences.

Just so great movies don't continually get hijacked by some jewy producer with ADHD.

Gattaca from 97 is a movie that all new sci fi's should take as a reference, covers all the bases, and is exceptionally good, and did it without cgi.

I think using the same concept you mention but have it only focusing on the neurology of the gmod'd would work.

It's be interesting if different hybrids had different forums of mental disorders.

I.E. a race of people with ocd, schizo, depression, mania, etc. It's very relevant to modern day society, when every crook and criminal has a disorder, and also ties into race but in a way that isn't so simplistic, as were all the same on the inside crap you get back in the day. It can also get into the deeper philosophical issue of freedom of choice and all that jazz.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2012, 06:26:32 AM »
You got me started pal :)

Only one character in the movie- the android. The rest? Cardboard cut-outs. The ice-cold blond bitch boss, the cool black character (see: magical negro stereotype), the crazy and unorthodox tech guy (don't tell me you didn't know that ginger bastard would eventually turn into a monster from the first minute he popped into the screen). Not to mention... where were the protagonists?

A plot based on an Erich von Daeniken book. He's the guy who wrote a book in the 60s about ancient astronauts. It was very popular with the hippies. In fact, von Daeniken was in jail at the time (he's a known crook) and was trying to make a quick buck. He just made the whole thing up.

Tired old cliches: scared people trying to be cute to unknown and dangerous species who then immediately kill them in gruesome ways.

Plot holes: where the fuck was that octopus thing hiding all the time and how come noone noticed anything?

Plain ridiculous: the octopus thing turning into a giant octopus thing in the end, mwhahahahahhaha, it must have eaten all the food in the spaceship.

Plain stupid: the Vickers bitch running in length from a falling object, whereas she could have run sideways. Obviously they needed to kill her off.

Ending: My boyfriend is dead, my crew is dead, our spaceship is in pieces, but hey I'll know what I'll do next, I'll go the engineers' planet so they can use me as a lab rat (Sir Ridley: "Hey, we needed to set the stage for the sequel")  LOL

I could go on man.

How the might have fallen.
glad u let us all know that. :)
For wut it's worth I loved Prometheus

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2012, 06:28:10 AM »

Just so great movies don't continually get hijacked by some jewy producer with ADHD.

Gattaca from 97 is a movie that all new sci fi's should take as a reference, covers all the bases, and is exceptionally good, and did it without cgi.

I think using the same concept you mention but have it only focusing on the neurology of the gmod'd would work.

It's be interesting if different hybrids had different forums of mental disorders.

I.E. a race of people with ocd, schizo, depression, mania, etc. It's very relevant to modern day society, when every crook and criminal has a disorder, and also ties into race but in a way that isn't so simplistic, as were all the same on the inside crap you get back in the day. It can also get into the deeper philosophical issue of freedom of choice and all that jazz.
one of my all time top ten

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2012, 06:47:52 AM »
and that there's always an alternative motive and Floyd.

Haha

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2012, 06:50:08 AM »

My g/f turned me on to Gattaca , I've always heard about but never watched it , much better than what I thought it would be.

Rhomboids

• Getbig III
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2012, 07:01:24 AM »

That explains it all. 

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2012, 07:04:55 AM »
Creature were extremely bad - "alien" and racebugger looked horrendous.
The Navigator was very well made though the face was ratarded.

racebugger?

You mean mudshark, someone buggin' the darker races?

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2012, 07:05:33 AM »

That explains it all. 

ahahahahahahahahaha EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2012, 07:06:30 AM »
oh dear I haven't laughed this hard in ages

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2012, 07:20:53 AM »

MikMaq

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2012, 07:48:41 AM »
My g/f turned me on to Gattaca , I've always heard about but never watched it , much better than what I thought it would be.

Yeah I don't understand why it isn't talked about more often, it's like there's some great conspiracy or some shit.

I mean it has 3 big actors and really good everything. I guess it's just proves there is a intellectual gap in society.

Sweedee

• Getbig III
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2012, 09:33:40 AM »
Watched latest bourne movie yesterday. Despite some good acting it was extremly Meh...

Sweedee

• Getbig III
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2012, 09:41:43 AM »

That explains it all. 

they have some hilarious clips.

The part when they randomly decides its a smart move to remove their helmets and start breathing whatever the air that's on a Unknown planet contains is a smart idea lol.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2012, 10:01:35 AM »
Yeah I don't understand why it isn't talked about more often, it's like there's some great conspiracy or some shit.

I mean it has 3 big actors and really good everything. I guess it's just proves there is a intellectual gap in society.

Jewd Law!

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2012, 10:17:13 AM »
racebugger?

You mean mudshark, someone buggin' the darker races?

Spot on - I got the David Duke re-cut on White Ray where it's clear that the monsters are biased towards "dark" matter.

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2012, 01:28:55 AM »
I watched the film two days ago. I was in a nitpicky mood so I've got a triplet of qualms to add to the pile:

1. The crew automatically assume the genetic information of the engineer sample is encoded in DNA. But they would almost certainly not assume such a thing, since there are a variety of molecule types that can function as a storage medium for such information. They'd need to decipher what molecule was at work before making any declarations about DNA matches.

2. What the hell does a "DNA match" mean? It can't be that the sample's sequence is the same or else we'd be exactly like the engineers (equivalent to them, in fact).

3. There isn't the slightest attempt to reconcile the engineers' tinkering with the current narrative of evolution via natural selection, which traces the genetic split from ancestor lineages to our own. Is all of Darwinism false, then? Is the engineer DNA sequence miraculously equivalent to a half-evolved ape sequence?

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2012, 02:05:56 AM »
Loved Event Horizon

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2012, 02:39:42 AM »
worst movie ever, beyond stupid.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2012, 03:00:59 AM »
I could not agree more.

I sleep a lot with Blade Runner on.  Listen to a lot of music that clearly has its roots in Vangelis (FSOL etc).  Have the expensive 5 disc version of the movie.  I consider the moment when Harrison shoots Zhora dead to be my joint top favourite moment in cinematic history (joint top with Begbie's legendary twisted version of events story / glassing in Trainspotting).

And I spent the entire watching of Prometheus scarcely believe how poor the script was.  It's an insult to your intelligence.

I blame Ridley.