Author Topic: Help for tri exercise and avoiding rotator (alternative to dip close grip bench)  (Read 2160 times)

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
I can't do close grip bench... any bench... since hurting my rotator in the summer..

I need some alternative exercises. Dips also out of the question... sucks big time... two of the best exercises a no no... Even those seated dip machines kill my rotators the next day and boy were they effective for me in the past.

I need something else to throw in for tri size... alternative to dips and close grip bench...

Help and advice appreciated :)

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
overhead extension,rope pulldown...skull crushers
T

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
first of all...look after your shoulder. Do not try to be a hero and train through an injury. I would suggest you use The position of Flexion approach. the stretch position, such as a standing tricep extension....the midrange a lying tricep movement(also a standard bench press)...the fully contracted position , tricep kickbacks or one arm pushdowns. This will along with shoulder and normal chest training will be enough stimulation. Another thing i found was i could not bench one time because of an injury but could do push ups...

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
first of all...look after your shoulder. Do not try to be a hero and train through an injury. I would suggest you use The position of Flexion approach. the stretch position, such as a standing tricep extension....the midrange a lying tricep movement(also a standard bench press)...the fully contracted position , tricep kickbacks or one arm pushdowns. This will along with shoulder and normal chest training will be enough stimulation. Another thing i found was i could not bench one time because of an injury but could do push ups...

i agree... training around an injury is often not the best idea... you're one wrong move from disaster at all times

if i had to pick the safest triceps movement for shoulders it would probably be some machine done with light weight... but even then i would heed the advice above

jpm101

• Getbig IV
a_ahmed: You sure it's the rotator cuff it's self and nothing else?

Usually  when pushing down, along side the body (as in dips), the elbows in and close to the body, less of the shoulder girdle is involved.That's why it's one of the elite triceps exercises. All the while keeping the body in a somewhat straight up & down position, rather than leaning forward  If having the elbows out and away from the body & leaning forward (like most guys do who think their working the triceps to the max), more influence on the joint/shoulders. Though your case could be all together different. Checked medical opinion, I hope.

Would suggest BB overhead or lying/incline tricep extensions, but they could pose a problem. Again, not knowing the extent of the possible tear/rupture in the shoulder area. Though a DB could be better served, than a BB, if no pain is present. Like with anything else, with a DB, the hand position and angle of the movement becomes better adaptable to the path of that movement.....more flexible. While a BB is so much more fixed for the hand position/path of a exercise.  Experienced BB'ers know this for exercises like benches/inclines, arms and just about anything else, when using a DB over a BB..

Might suggest one arm tricep press downs (lat/cable device). Some have built up to impressive weight and size with these.  Kick Backs/Triceps push off's is another superior exercise, allowing a full triceps stretch. You can adjust the focus/resistance of this exercise, from start to finish.

Some have trained around injuries for years, which is possible though not the best idea. But you will never capture the full benefits of a good and productive workout, with the body not  being 100% functional.  Good Luck.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
I can't do close grip bench... any bench... since hurting my rotator in the summer..

I need some alternative exercises. Dips also out of the question... sucks big time... two of the best exercises a no no... Even those seated dip machines kill my rotators the next day and boy were they effective for me in the past.

I need something else to throw in for tri size... alternative to dips and close grip bench...

Help and advice appreciated :)
;D takes the shoulders out of the equation.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
never tried this exercise but i believe Larry scott learned this from Vince Gironda.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
never tried this exercise but i believe Larry scott learned this from Vince Gironda.
correct now larry sells a special bench that he recommends to do this exercise.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
went to larry's web site he sells the twin pedestal tricep bench for 240 bucks american.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
thank you funky ;)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
went to larry's web site he sells the twin pedestal tricep bench for 240 bucks american.

I used to do this using a regular bench, resting my forehead on the edge. The drawback is that you cannot anchor as much of your posterior arm; just a bit of your elbows contact the bench.
Larry's bench is much better for doing this exercise, but I liked the improvised version when I did it.

Body weight extensions accomplish similar biomechanics and are much more convenient to do. Some folks laugh at how easy they appear, but you can make them about as difficult as you wish in a variety of ways.

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
Thanks for the advices fellas.

Those are sick photos. Respect, amazing arms.

Yeah since i injured myself this summer... barbell benching.... really bad... i took a short break.. then hit the chest again and started hitting it hard again... BAM got worse... to the point i could not do pushups.. even squatting was hurting my shoulder...

Anyways for last 3+ months no chest exercising AT ALL... slowly threw in shoulder exercises though... man my chest became flat and my triceps almost dissapeared :( I am still feeling a pinch in the shoulder/chest area... but its improved.. so im taking it easy.. that being said I have been working around the injury for last several months.

Working back and legs through squats mostly as focus.. when i work back no pain good stuff... shoulders secondarily slowly digging in... but chest nothing.. arms been doing some basic exericses but they are not really packing on size... for me dips and parallel dip machine and close bench have been size builders but a big no no now :(

I'll take your advices and try a few variations... My arms and chest have shrunk and the arms just don't look proportional to my back and legs... sorta really gay... hating it... so i need to concentrate on some serious arm growth... chest will have to wait unless im stupid and wana tear something again...

One old bw exercise i used to do besides pushups when i did martial arts was one of those uhm... well you would put your arms on sideways bench and legs in front and then 'dig in'.. kind of like a dip but arms behind u.. unfortunately this too kills my shoulder.. too scared to even try it since it was killing last time i tried... they are not a bad exercise either especially if u can load up plates on ur crotch or something... pretty basic bw exercise that can be modified but unfortunately at the moment still too risky too..