Author Topic: For all the Def Leppard haters on this board  (Read 15664 times)

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
Re: For all the Def Leppard haters on this board
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2012, 08:47:12 AM »
MOR band. Nothing seminal, nothing too terrible that a shitload of over production couldn't fix. They hit it big in the '80s - a good decade for a band like this.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2012, 08:54:58 AM »
This is a transparent attempt to enlist the help of an entire board to run down a perfectly good band. 

I don't know what your problem is with Def Leppard but their fans don't appreciate your ruse, sir.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2012, 08:57:40 AM »
MOR band. Nothing seminal, nothing too terrible that a shitload of over production couldn't fix. They hit it big in the '80s - a good decade for a band like this.

I see "cockswitch" is ignoring the fact that these guys were a bunch of hacks assembled by superproducer "mutt" lange with the sole purpose of creating a metal-lite band with pop appeal.

He co-wrote (which means he wrote them)  and produced every single song on Pyromania and hysteria, their two big albums.

They are basically a live cover band that plays songs someone else came up with.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2012, 09:02:08 AM »
joe elliots hoarse sounding scratchy voice has lost its appeal with age,,that was trademark sound with the backround vocals blended that sound they had is not there,,,

RocketSwitch625

• Getbig IV
  • Women fall all over me and Pumpster is FUGLY.
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2012, 09:03:10 AM »
Some of their songs rock.  You even actually like Def Leppard or is this some sort of joke?

If you think I'm being sarcastic you are mistaken. Just because this board is full of sarcasm (the lowest form of wit) doesn't mean we are all like that. Why would a person with the username RocketSwitch625 be on here taking the piss out of Def Leppard?

MikMaq

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2012, 09:10:23 AM »
I'm not a fan of Lady Gaga at all but you don't consider her a real musician? I know next to nothing about music but I always thought she was a pretty good piano player.  And how about Taylor Swift as a songwriter in relation to her core audience? Wasn't she writing successful hits in high school?
I like lady gaga, but her covering something is not ever gonna be considered a measure of taste.

She wants to make pop music nothing more.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2012, 09:15:19 AM »
If you think I'm being sarcastic you are mistaken. Just because this board is full of sarcasm (the lowest form of wit) doesn't mean we are all like that.

I've had just about all the Def Leppard trash talk I'm willing to take from this place and then you invite these spiteful bastards to repeat themselves yet again.  It's really just a matter of taste and I don't see why we continue to revisit it.  It's tearing this board apart.

MikMaq

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2012, 09:17:27 AM »
Seriously, who in their right mind would want to listen to this depressing shit:

Instead of this?

Radiohead = the kings of overratedness in this generation of nothingness

Creep by radiohead standards is just a pop song. Listen to the trickster, paranoid andriod etc.

They use chord tones, and writing techniques that were considered the absolute fringe when they started out.

Nowadays these strange chord tones are considered standard and normal.

I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense to you but it is really that simple.

I'm not getting into detail with this shit, because quite frankly if you don't know this on your own your not worth the effort.

Your imbecile if you think def leopard are even on the map for creative song writing.

RocketSwitch625

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2012, 09:18:56 AM »
A few Def Leppard album reviews/quotes from the past decade:

"X" (2002)

Melodicrock.com:

"Their best album since Hysteria. In fact, I have little doubt that the overall fan reaction will rank the album in a similar fashion.
With the right promotion and strong radio chances for several songs, there is no reason why we won't be hearing a whole lot of Leppard over the coming months.
A special mention goes to the producers of this album. This extra time and effort with effects and layers has been well spent. Each listen reveals something new in the mix and will ensure that the lifespan of this album is a decent one.
The more tastefully implemented modern sound will allow the band to compete with today's Top 40 acts, without alienating any old fans".

NME.com:

"Def Leppard improve with age: they lost their guitarist through drugs, their drummer had his arm amputated and, even though they're all in their 40s, they've just made the best rock album since Andrew Wk's'I Get Wet'".

Blogcritics.com:

"It is great to see the band back to what they do best, well-crafted arena rock, instead of trying to be trendy. This marks a welcome return of the Def Leppard we grew up with back in the day. You better get your gig tickets now, because I predict worldwide sellouts. This is clearly a candidate for hard rock album of the year, absolutely stunningly good"!

Songs From The Sparkle Lounge (2008)

A quote from Behind The Music Remastered:

"Sparkle Lounge is if anything as classic a Leppard album as you could possibly get".

Geoff Barton, founder of Kerrang! heavy metal magazine.

Classic Rock Magazine:

"Def Leppard’s ninth studio album is also their last for the Mercury label. It’s a supremely satisfying send-off, marking the band’s most varied and satisfying collection of songs since Hysteria. What a way to go".

Review from AntiMusic.com:

"Def Leppard has constructed an album that generates groundswells of sound of a band not just in perfect harmony, but unison as well. Songs From The Sparkle Lounge does not find the band veering too far into the past and not aiming for future glories, instead it finds them perfectly in the here and now".

Review from UnRated Magazine.com:

"Even if you haven't been a huge Def Leppard fan in the past, Songs from the Sparkle Lounge is a solid, enjoyable rocker all on its own merits. There simply isn't one bad song within this entire collection of songs".

About.com: Classic Rock:

""Gotta let it go! Gotta let it go!," shouts Joe Elliott. Gotta let what go, Joe? The album, perhaps, to share with others, because he knows it's so good you won't want to stop playing it? He's right! This really is a great album to get Def Leppard back in everyone's focus, and they certainly have got mine!"

411mania.com:

"On this release, they’ve rediscovered Def Leppard. And while the riffs aren’t as heavy and abundant as the good ol’ days, there are enough things going in the right direction, like the fun “Nine Lives” and the adrenaline fueled “Bad Actress”, that fans will perk up their ears. If you’re a fan, this is a record you’ve been waiting on for quite possibly ten years".

Hardrockhideout.com:

"Songs From the Sparkle Lounge isn’t a terribly long affair. It clocks in just shy of 40 minutes. This isn’t Def Leppard’s best work, but it is far from their worst. Will this new album be enough to garner new success for Def Leppard? It just might. I had low expectations for this record, and as a result I enjoyed it. I think most of you will too".

artistdirect.com:

"For the first time in a long time, Def Leppard have found the perfect balance between the histrionics of their hard rock roots and the pop accessibility that has made them such a favorite with mainstream America. They still deliver feel-good music, but they make it feel just as good when it hits hard. That's the one-two punch that makes songs from The Sparkle Lounge shine the brightest".

Tower.com (Tower Records):

“Songs from the Sparkle Lounge” could be considered one of their most complete and perhaps one of the most diverse albums in Def Leppard’s 30-year recording career".

Joe Elliott, Brit Sound Radio interview:

"At this moment in my life in October 2009 my two favourite records that we've ever made are our latest which is 'Songs From The Sparkle Lounge' and the covers album 'YEAH!' which came out in 2006".

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2012, 09:22:58 AM »
Their song "Pour some sugar on me" caused mass fatty outbreaks in the USA. Law suit pending. No willpower.
a

canyon

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »
Def Leppard sucks, dull music .
LOL...but that jungle music, now that is real talent.

RocketSwitch625

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2012, 09:31:06 AM »
Your imbecile if you think def leopard are even on the map for creative song writing.

Even if you think all Leppard fans are imbeciles you can't deny that they've sold well over three times the amount of albums that those ugly lefty posh boys Radiohead have sold in their entire career. Basically what you are saying is that more imbeciles exist in the world than lefty posh boys who vote for the Green Party. Thank God if that really is the case.

RocketSwitch625

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2012, 09:34:57 AM »
Creep by radiohead standards is just a pop song. Listen to the trickster, paranoid andriod etc.

They use chord tones, and writing techniques that were considered the absolute fringe when they started out.

Nowadays these strange chord tones are considered standard and normal.

I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense to you but it is really that simple.

I'm not getting into detail with this shit, because quite frankly if you don't know this on your own your not worth the effort.

I don't give a shit if you like Radiohead more than Def Leppard. In my opinion their music is horrible and I wouldn't be seen dead buying one of their albums.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2012, 09:39:33 AM »
Even if you think all Leppard fans are imbeciles you can't deny that they've sold well over three times the amount of albums that those ugly lefty posh boys Radiohead have sold in their entire career. Basically what you are saying is that more imbeciles exist in the world than lefty posh boys who vote for the Green Party. Thank God if that really is the case.

how many records have they sold since they left "mutt" lange and tried making their own music  ;)

Radiohead doesn't even "Sell" their albums, they put them online and YOU decide how much you are willing to pay, or you can take it for nothing if you want.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2012, 09:42:03 AM »
I like lady gaga, but her covering something is not ever gonna be considered a measure of taste.

She wants to make pop music nothing more.

It does seem like she takes otherwise pretty good written songs and tricks them out way too much. I prefer just listening to her with the piano but I suppose that wouldn't sell as many records and of course the all mighty dollar tends to win out most times.

RocketSwitch625

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2012, 09:48:10 AM »
how many records have they sold since they left "mutt" lange and tried making their own music  ;)

Radiohead doesn't even "Sell" their albums, they put them online and YOU decide how much you are willing to pay, or you can take it for nothing if you want.

All I know is the band announced back in May that their previous record sales tally of 65million + albums worldwide had increased to 100million +. I first read it on Wikipedia and then I heard it from the band members themselves during an American radio interview. They must have had their albums re-certified which hadn't been done since the mid 90s to my knowledge.

If Radiohead give their music away for nothing then prove it. Post a link on here so I can go to a site owned by the band that is offering all their albums for nothing. Maybe one album or a single is available for free download but I doubt very much that their entire back catalogue is. If that is the case then they are the true imbeciles in music not Def Leppard.

MikMaq

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2012, 10:11:51 AM »
Lol yes imbeciles, and more importantly chicks who'll buy whatever greatly out number left liberals, by a factor of 100-1. So it's more than just lefty liberals buying that shit.

Radiohead is a musicians band whether or not you like them you have to respect that, def leopard is a band, for little girls, and old bags.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2012, 10:20:21 AM »
I've had just about all the Def Leppard trash talk I'm willing to take from this place and then you invite these spiteful bastards to repeat themselves yet again.  It's really just a matter of taste and I don't see why we continue to revisit it.  It's tearing this board apart.

:)

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2012, 10:23:03 AM »
All I know is the band announced back in May that their previous record sales tally of 65million + albums worldwide had increased to 100million +. I first read it on Wikipedia and then I heard it from the band members themselves during an American radio interview. They must have had their albums re-certified which hadn't been done since the mid 90s to my knowledge.

If Radiohead give their music away for nothing then prove it. Post a link on here so I can go to a site owned by the band that is offering all their albums for nothing. Maybe one album or a single is available for free download but I doubt very much that their entire back catalogue is. If that is the case then they are the true imbeciles in music not Def Leppard.

didn't answer my question at all, but I already know the answer  ;)

and yes, Radiohead put their last two albums up for download, pay your own price... instead of releasing them.

They also taped live, in studio performances of both albums in their entirety, and put them on Youtube.

it was huge news in the industry, and in serious music circles.. so of course you didn't hear about it  :D

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2012, 10:24:34 AM »
music by its nature is divisive

dismissing one type of music in a pompous and slightly arrogant tone speaks of narrow mindedness

there is a place for all good music

def leppard are good song writers, singers and great musicians

dont like them by all means but dont dismiss them because you would rather listen to radioheadd wanking off like a bunch of pretentious cu nts

see what i did there
T

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2012, 10:30:06 AM »
Lol yes imbeciles, and more importantly chicks who'll buy whatever greatly out number left liberals, by a factor of 100-1. So it's more than just lefty liberals buying that shit.

Radiohead is a musicians band whether or not you like them you have to respect that, def leopard is a band, for little girls, and old bags.

Bahahahahaha!

RocketSwitch625

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2012, 10:35:18 AM »

That's where you are wrong, totally wrong. The two guitarist in Def Leppard are what you call real musicians. Vivian Campbell has played on some of the most classic hard rock/metal albums of all time and Phil Collen is considered to be one of the greatest guitarists ever in rock. Could the guitarists in Radiohead play guitar solos like the two in Def Leppard? I doubt it very much. In fact I know for a fact they couldn't.

Regarding Def Leppard fans you are wrong on that too. I have been to many of their shows since the mid 90s and their audiences are made up of people of all ages both male and female and from all walks of life. Proof that you know nothing about genuine rock bands like Def Leppard.

Phil Collen - 'Cause We Ended As Lovers (Jeff Beck cover):

Vivian Campbell - Led Boots (Jeff Beck Cover):

Def Leppard - A Tribute To The Devoted:

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2012, 10:37:35 AM »
Phile Collen is considered to be one of the greatest guitarists ever in rock.

No

RocketSwitch625

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2012, 10:40:52 AM »
No

Yes, and he has his side project Manraze featuring Paul Cook from the Sex Pistols on drums.

This was released as a free download. Man Raze - ICU In Everything:

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2012, 10:42:41 AM »
joe elliots hoarse sounding scratchy voice has lost its appeal with age,,that was trademark sound with the backround vocals blended that sound they had is not there,,,

yeah those harmonies are so unique to def leppard.   i fig'd they auto-tune them up a half-step to make up for the age.  unless they already did :(