Author Topic: What's the worst experience you ever had training ??  (Read 10899 times)

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
Re: What's the worst experience you ever had training ??
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2012, 12:20:45 PM »
For me it was when i was young and lifting in my basement. I had an assortment of plastic and steel, bench, squat rack and home made lat machine...very basic shit.

So what i wound up doing as i got stronger was use extension cords and hang weights of off the end of the bar because the plastic weights take up so much room. of course there comes the day when I get stuck under the weight and i can't get it up, but with the shit tied to the ends i can't do the the old tilt and dump routine. I'm fucked

To make matters worse, my brothers room was right above me, and he was home...but he was listening to Led Zeppelin's "The song remains the same" which is a live record, so there's no pause between songs where i could yell out for help. Then the best part...a fucking spider comes down on his web from the rafters, lands on my chest and starts crawling around as I'm trying to blow it off of me. I HATE fucking spiders.

I'm flipping out big time, the weight is starting to really hurt and i'm losing strength. Finally the first side of the record ends, i hear footsteps as he goes to flip it over and i scream as loud as i can "HEEEELLLPPP!!!!" . he heard me, came downstairs and was laughing his balls off at me as he got me out of the predicament i was In....that was one fucked up experience.
'...Does anybody remember laughter?'      ;D            

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 12:25:13 PM »
Strained a pec, or the tendon in my armpit doing flat bench.  It popped while repping out a lot of weight with not the cleanest form.  I stopped, waited a few minutes and loaded a few more pounds on the bar for my next set, did one rep and had to be done for the day.  I couldn't do chest for a few weeks, and even after that couldn't do flat or decline bench for at least six months.  Incline was okay, but I was 22 and stupid.

Also, while squatting, I guess I strained too hard, and almost passed out and all of a sudden had a major headache, and had to leave the gym.  I'm sure it was pretty close to blowing out a blood vessel.  ;D

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 12:29:29 PM »
'...Does anybody remember laughter?'      ;D            

HaHa  ;D it was side one, not side three 

"Celebration Day" was playing if memory serves...LOL

pwrnxs

• Getbig II
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2012, 12:30:01 PM »
When my brother and I hadn't been training long we were doing standing calf raises using a smith machine and a wood platform about 6 or so inches high and maybe 2 feet square or so.

He was doing a set and apparently we didn't think the physics through very well, because the platform tipped so his feet went to the floor and the platform stood up and at the same time he was falling face first with the bar on his neck right towards the platform which was standing upright now.  Luckily the bar turned forward on its way down so the hooks caught and it stopped before he really got hurt.  We didn't do calf raises in that manner anymore.

One time I had the leg press loaded up and for some reason I unloaded one entire side first.  That made a pretty good crash when it tipped.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 12:36:18 PM »
When my brother and I hadn't been training long we were doing standing calf raises using a smith machine and a wood platform about 6 or so inches high and maybe 2 feet square or so.

He was doing a set and apparently we didn't think the physics through very well, because the platform tipped so his feet went to the floor and the platform stood up and at the same time he was falling face first with the bar on his neck right towards the platform which was standing upright now.  Luckily the bar turned forward on its way down so the hooks caught and it stopped before he really got hurt.  We didn't do calf raises in that manner anymore.

One time I had the leg press loaded up and for some reason I unloaded one entire side first.  That made a pretty good crash when it tipped.

Holy crap, that's a good one. it amazes me the shit we do and live to tell about it. If our mothers knew half the shit we got into as kids...LOL

Dreadlifter

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2012, 12:47:57 PM »
I`ve never been injured or anything like that.  However, one time I was at the gym doing ATG Squats with 350 or so on the bar and one of the metal sleeves where the weights go just fell off and came crashing to the floor with all of the weight.  When that happened the bar popped straight up and the other side came crashing down as well.  Someone could have easily been killed had they been standing right next to either side or seriously injured for life.  It was a scary feeling, especially when you have total control of the weight instantly slip away and there is nothing you can do.

Somebody had to have loosened the sleeve.

I can sympathise with this one.
For years the best bar at my gym (before they recently invested in a bunch of crackng Ivanko ones) was an old top quality bar that's maybe 20 years old. Perfect flex and grip but the weld keeps going on one side and you had to make sure you checked it before every lift. Never came apart on me but I think it might have on other peoploe.

Personally, my worst experience in the gym didn't happen to me. I was spotting one of my old training partners, a guy maybe 5'6' and 170lbs. He was using a false grip and the bar slipped from his hands and down onto his chest quicker than I could move. Only 95lbs on teh bar but it took the wind out of him and I was wracked with guilt. No damage donw though, phew!

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2012, 12:51:29 PM »
One time in Venice, BayGBM wouldn't spot me. Said I wasn't even tier 3.  :(

Sweedee

• Getbig III
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2012, 12:59:13 PM »
If I wasn't so damn short I would have been paralyzed right now. Young stupid doing heavy calf raises in the smith machine. I thought I had  bar back secured after finishing a set. .....Turns out I turned the bar the wrong way lol. And then relaxed.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2012, 01:01:50 PM »
If I wasn't so damn short I would have been paralyzed right now. Young stupid doing heavy calf raises in the smith machine. I thought I had the bar back secured after finishing a set. .....Turns out I turned the bar the wrong way lol. And then relaxed.
this you?

Sweedee

• Getbig III
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2012, 01:02:29 PM »
this you?

I would imagine it looked pretty simular to that yes  ;D
Didn't have a LOT of weight though. But obviously enough to have it come smashing down when I relaxed lol.

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2012, 01:09:05 PM »
There was this Stupid fucking latino dude at the gym big guy but very watery, he has a tattoo of "HIMSELF" in posing trunks from his shoulder to his elbow doing a front double bicep pose

anyways he proceeded to Load up this squat machine to the max, i think it holds like 12 plates a side or so (24 x45lbs) yet he would barley manage to squat 2 plates with a barbell, anyways after all his grunting and yelling he finished his set, and started to unload the entire machine from one side only, well machine tilted and spilled 45's all over the gym floor , as well as  35's , 25's , 10's , 5's , 2.5's when it also knocked over the weight tree.

He finally had all EYES on him , we all watched him pick up every plate on his own

he was squating using this thing

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2012, 01:17:19 PM »
My very first power lifting competition i opened with 335 on bench and i locked it out so hard the barbell popped out of my hands because i was using a false grip and landed on my collar bone area then rolled to my neck. Lucky for me i had spotters who grabbed it in time. The spotters saw the bar come up so fast they relaxed and then bam the bar popped out of my hands. Left a very bad bruise and made me nervous the rest of the meet. I never used a false grip after that meet.

I had a small barbell come apart similar to TA when i was doing curls and one side slipped straight off while i lost control of the bar and it landed on my foot. It hit my foot square on the top and i could barely walk for about a week.

The first time i tried to do 110 DB's on incline i popped them back too hard and strained my left shoulder as the left DB went right over and landed on the floor behind me.

Hit myself in the chin many times doing power cleans and overhead BB presses. Split my chin open twice doing push presses.

8)

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2012, 01:19:25 PM »
My very first power lifting competition i opened with 335 on bench and i locked it out so hard the barbell popped out of my hands because i was using a false grip and landed on my collar bone area then rolled to my neck. Lucky for me i had spotters who grabbed it in time. The spotters saw the bar come up so fast they relaxed and then bam the bar popped out of my hands. Left a very bad bruise and made me nervous the rest of the meet. I never used a false grip after that meet.

I had a small barbell come apart similar to TA when i was doing curls and one side slipped straight off while i lost control of the bar and it landed on my foot. It hit my foot square on the top and i could barely walk for about a week.

The first time i tried to do 110 DB's on incline i popped them back too hard and strained my left shoulder as the left DB went right over and landed on the floor behind me.

Hit myself in the chin many times doing power cleans and overhead BB presses. Split my chin open twice doing push presses.

8)
yeah this happened to me a few times in powerjerks/jerks/pushpresses

it's scary

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2012, 01:37:42 PM »
didn't happen to me but I was at an old school YMCA years ago working out near Detroit while I was on a work trip.  A bunch of guido 80's type lifters in there.  Long mullet type hair but severe balding in front with their hair slicked back. Wearing gray sweats with the neck part cut out.  A bunch of Mike Matarazzo wannabes.

There were about 4 or 5 at the squat rack cheering each other on during squats.  Lifting heavy for 1 rep.  Then one guy goes down and all I can hear is mayhem coming from the group, laughing, choking, swearing.  I looked to see what happened and the guy shit his pants, straight squirts,  I can see a huge brain stain on the gray sweat pants and he just drops the weights on the catches and runs off to the bathroom.

Surprisingly though I thought for sure the guy would never show his head again, but about 20 minutes later came back out in his street clothes and finished his workout with the other guidoes.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2012, 01:41:23 PM »

8)

I've dinged my chin plenty doing militaries...wakes you up  ;D

HockeyFightFan

• Getbig V
  • Getgay is Beneath Me
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2012, 01:46:18 PM »
Seated rowing, the cable snapped and I got the handle between the eyes for several stitches. Went back two days later and had the cable snap on the Pec Deck and it opened the cut back up.

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2012, 02:10:31 PM »

he was squating using this thing

notsureifserious.gif

Conker

• Getbig IV
  • looks like you went for the overcooked potato look
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2012, 02:15:31 PM »
was on holiday and joined a gym in a nearby hotel, had just finished benching and went to unload the bar, but mind wandered for a min and started to unload one side of bar without taking anything from other...

So obviously bar catapults up at 100mph, it was one of those gyms with mirrored walls all round, so the bar goes crashing into the mirrors and weights are crashing everywhere, look round and everyone in gym is just starring open mouthed.
On the plus side, unbelievably the mirror never broke!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2012, 02:20:53 PM »
I`ve never been injured or anything like that.  However, one time I was at the gym doing ATG Squats with 350 or so on the bar and one of the metal sleeves where the weights go just fell off and came crashing to the floor with all of the weight.  When that happened the bar popped straight up and the other side came crashing down as well.  Someone could have easily been killed had they been standing right next to either side or seriously injured for life.  It was a scary feeling, especially when you have total control of the weight instantly slip away and there is nothing you can do.

Somebody had to have loosened the sleeve.

this would have been
a better story
if you had
died

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2012, 02:23:54 PM »
Once I was working out and looked in the mirror and realized it wasn't me.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2012, 03:03:30 PM »
Nothing serious only funny.
I had gone to the doctor the day before or day of and they took blood.
So, I was training biceps/and triceps. I noticed this purple spot on my bicep right where they took blood, and it kept getting bigger and pooling around that area. I got nervous, and stopped doing biceps. So, I went and continued doing triceps. My last exercise was close grip bench press with 40 on each side, this was my 4 exercise out of 5. And I was exhausted, and I was the only one in the gym, I hit failure, and I tried to rack it on a lower notch and missed, and it came down on my chest and the weight went to one side and slide off.
Now, this was in the presence of cameras, so I bet I gave the owner a good laugh. After 15 minutes  I went straight to the dip bar.
I went home with a bicep with a growing purple  mark, and a new appreciation for the term "going to failure".

Bad News Brown

• Getbig II
  • How bout 5 cross yo lip?
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2012, 03:25:05 PM »
Heat Stroke. Fun stuff....

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2012, 04:23:26 PM »
Fell over backward doing bbell snatches.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2012, 04:31:46 PM »
My worst experience would have to be when I took NO explode (green flavour) and for some reason it made me vomit during my training in the gym.  I had used it for a while and had no issues with it, so didn't think I would ever get sick on it.  Mind you it was the orange flavour that I usually used.  This time I had the green one and my stomach always felt a bit niggly on it.  So this day was legs and I was training with a friend.  I began to feel sick on it but because I was training with someone I didn't ease up...I kept pushing it.  I told her I felt sick and she encouraged me to drink more water which might have made it worse.  I was doing SLD's when I felt it come up and so I ran to the bathroom which was close by and began throwing up in the sink.  All this green stuff was coming up.  I cleaned myself up and went back to SLD's.  Half way through the next set I felt dizzy and my legs were weak, I couldn't move and I wanted to throw up.  I grabbed my towel and began vomiting into in front of everybody.  Guys were asking my friend what was wrong with me and she told them it was a supplement I had taken.  I couldn't do anything after that.  I sat down on a bench until I had the strength to throw my vomit ridden towel away in the industrial bins outside. 

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2012, 04:45:51 PM »
sounds like a final destination scenario
For me it was when i was young and lifting in my basement. I had an assortment of plastic and steel, bench, squat rack and home made lat machine...very basic shit.

So what i wound up doing as i got stronger was use extension cords and hang weights of off the end of the bar because the plastic weights take up so much room. of course there comes the day when I get stuck under the weight and i can't get it up, but with the shit tied to the ends i can't do the the old tilt and dump routine. I'm fucked

To make matters worse, my brothers room was right above me, and he was home...but he was listening to Led Zeppelin's "The song remains the same" which is a live record, so there's no pause between songs where i could yell out for help. Then the best part...a fucking spider comes down on his web from the rafters, lands on my chest and starts crawling around as I'm trying to blow it off of me. I HATE fucking spiders.

I'm flipping out big time, the weight is starting to really hurt and i'm losing strength. Finally the first side of the record ends, i hear footsteps as he goes to flip it over and i scream as loud as i can "HEEEELLLPPP!!!!" . he heard me, came downstairs and was laughing his balls off at me as he got me out of the predicament i was In....that was one fucked up experience.