Author Topic: Is Ric Flair worth it?  (Read 22955 times)

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
Re: Is Ric Flair worth it?
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2012, 03:55:36 PM »

I suspect it bols down to a matter of taste/preference, or ignorance.

preference: everyone is entitled to an opinion.
      ignorance: not everyone witnessed the Nature Boy during his Mid-Atlantic peak.
Hell, Hogan is considered one of the biggest things in wrestling, yet you mercilessly rag on him here.
And, I'm sure there are many who would criticize my own relentless criticism of Dusty Rhodes.

It's all good in the end.

it must be true that people who don't give ric the respect he deserves for being a better wrestler/entertainer than EVERYBODY else must be due to the fact that they don't know their wrestling history. I'm 42, i watched it all since 1977. The greatest in my life is ric flair. Hogan, Austin, rock, macho, just about everyone else is beneath them.

Just like the greatest tag team is LOD. I enjoyed many other teams but Hawk & Animal are the best.
sept 10th APF

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2012, 04:17:20 PM »
it must be true that people who don't give ric the respect he deserves for being a better wrestler/entertainer than EVERYBODY else must be due to the fact that they don't know their wrestling history. I'm 42, i watched it all since 1977. The greatest in my life is ric flair. Hogan, Austin, rock, macho, just about everyone else is beneath them.

Just like the greatest tag team is LOD. I enjoyed many other teams but Hawk & Animal are the best.

I suspect that there are very few Mid-Atlantic fans who feel any differently.
But, ignorance is no fault of the possessor. We cannot control what we are fed. Fans who grew up in the NY market had little choice in so far as their main programming offerings.

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2012, 05:12:31 PM »
looking forward to the stories OB

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2012, 05:25:12 AM »
Not sure if this is a serious post, but if so the reason Flair "never came out of character" is because he wasn't "playing" one.  He was exactly the same guy out of the ring as in it, good or bad.

And REALLY don't get the lack of respect for Flair in this thread.  Sad state of what has become of wrestling fan's "knowledge" these days.   :-\

It was real, but again just my opinion. I started watching in the early 80's so caught Flair on TBS with Horsemen. I would take an Arn Anderson or a Rick Rude over Flair any day.

I do agree with another poster in here that rosters were sooo much deeper than they are now. Back then they had a ton of midcarders that could be pushed at any minute and not be crammed down your throat. Now a days someone goes down and they are scrambling to find find the next great thing. Ryback is OK, he is gettting crammed down our throats and come this time next year, he will be an after thought.

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2012, 09:04:56 AM »
The first time I met Flair was after a card in my high school gymnasium.  I was around six years old.  We knew the wrestlers all stopped at a certain gas station on the way out of town.  Myself, my mother and cousin left the matches and went there.  Sure enough, pretty much all of them stopped.  I got my picture taken with Flair and Valentine who were together.  Mulligan and, I think Wahoo were there as well.  I was so crazy about meeting him, I can't remember all of them.  All were friendly, and looking back, Flair was very friendly to my mother.  He was lucky my dad wasn't there, or old Natch might have had a bad night.

I also got my picture taken with him a few times in the Civic Center of a bigger town.  He was always polite and friendly.  It was also there that I saw Valentine take care of a guy that was trying to get at Flair.  Not a good night for him.

About twenty years later, Stoppa, myself and another friend started going to every Nitro we could.  I had had that picture blown up and kept it all this time.  I wanted Flair to sign it.  We found quite a few of the wrestlers in Jock's And Jill's in Atlanta one night.  Flair had a big entourage with him and a guy basically keeping people away.  I was going to try and get to him and the guy stopped me.  I told him I just wanted him to sign my picture and showed it to him.  He said "Oh my gosh.  Nature Boy, you have to see this."

We walked over and Flair loved it.  He signed it and asked me when/where it was taken, and was amazed I had kept it so long.  I told him he didn't have enough money to buy it.  Again, he was very cordial.

After that, I had a buddy that was a wheel in Turner's organization.  He would always get us great tickets and find out where the wrestlers were staying and we would stay there.  The hotel would always have a bar and was always a Marriot, Turner must have had a contract with them.  We would just hang out in the bar "with" them.

I saw Flair many times, and pretty much everyone who was in WCW at the time.  My final count for Nitros was about 15 I think.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2012, 01:56:40 PM »
The first time I met Flair was after a card in my high school gymnasium.  I was around six years old.  We knew the wrestlers all stopped at a certain gas station on the way out of town.  Myself, my mother and cousin left the matches and went there.  Sure enough, pretty much all of them stopped.  I got my picture taken with Flair and Valentine who were together.  Mulligan and, I think Wahoo were there as well.  I was so crazy about meeting him, I can't remember all of them.  All were friendly, and looking back, Flair was very friendly to my mother.  He was lucky my dad wasn't there, or old Natch might have had a bad night.

I also got my picture taken with him a few times in the Civic Center of a bigger town.  He was always polite and friendly.  It was also there that I saw Valentine take care of a guy that was trying to get at Flair.  Not a good night for him.

About twenty years later, Stoppa, myself and another friend started going to every Nitro we could.  I had had that picture blown up and kept it all this time.  I wanted Flair to sign it.  We found quite a few of the wrestlers in Jock's And Jill's in Atlanta one night.  Flair had a big entourage with him and a guy basically keeping people away.  I was going to try and get to him and the guy stopped me.  I told him I just wanted him to sign my picture and showed it to him.  He said "Oh my gosh.  Nature Boy, you have to see this."

We walked over and Flair loved it.  He signed it and asked me when/where it was taken, and was amazed I had kept it so long.  I told him he didn't have enough money to buy it.  Again, he was very cordial.

After that, I had a buddy that was a wheel in Turner's organization.  He would always get us great tickets and find out where the wrestlers were staying and we would stay there.  The hotel would always have a bar and was always a Marriot, Turner must have had a contract with them.  We would just hang out in the bar "with" them.

I saw Flair many times, and pretty much everyone who was in WCW at the time.  My final count for Nitros was about 15 I think.

That's great, man!

Thanks for sharing!!

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2013, 10:25:35 AM »
OLE BIG, care to share the one about the almost 8-man tag match with you, TB, KL and SM vs Flair, Eddie, Benoit and ?

I'm actually not so sure your team would have lost unless TB got tagged in.....haha  ;D

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2013, 10:03:11 AM »
OLE BIG, care to share the one about the almost 8-man tag match with you, TB, KL and SM vs Flair, Eddie, Benoit and ?

I'm actually not so sure your team would have lost unless TB got tagged in.....haha  ;D

BUMP!!!

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2013, 10:33:44 PM »
In this week's Steve Austin show podcast, Flair is the guest.

One of the more amazing things Flair said was that he wrestled Steamboat 1500 times. :o

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2013, 01:55:04 AM »

One of the more amazing things Flair said was that he wrestled Steamboat 1500 times. :o

Flair may be speaking somewhat in hyperbole, but those guys did work a lot more back then. Flair and Ricky were working matches together in the 70's. That number may not be too far off.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2013, 04:26:26 AM »

Flair may be speaking somewhat in hyperbole, but those guys did work a lot more back then. Flair and Ricky were working matches together in the 70's. That number may not be too far off.

I am sure at the height of the fued they were wrestling 6 or 7 times a week for months. 

Submissionfytr

• Getbig III
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2013, 04:44:52 AM »
Flair is definately the greatest wrestler of all time, hands down.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2013, 06:19:05 AM »
He also said, during his title runs, he was spending 10k a month on clothes because he didn't want to wear the same thing on television twice.

If you think in inflation adjusted terms, that's some serious money.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2013, 09:37:23 AM »
He also said, during his title runs, he was spending 10k a month on clothes because he didn't want to wear the same thing on television twice.

If you think in inflation adjusted terms, that's some serious money.

I can't remember who said it, but I'd heard that the Crockett's compensated him for at least some of those threads.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2013, 09:57:17 AM »

I can't remember who said it, but I'd heard that the Crockett's compensated him for at least some of those threads.

That's pretty ironic, considering how much Flair would insult the Crockett's wardrobes ;)

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2013, 11:20:43 AM »

That was a good show.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2013, 11:59:02 AM »
That's pretty ironic, considering how much Flair would insult the Crockett's wardrobes ;)

Love that clip where he insults Shiavones suit. 

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2013, 12:14:29 PM »
That was a good show.

I was half asleep while listening, but I believe Jim Ross mentioned your dad when going through the names of talent who worked for Bill Watts in Mid-South.

The Kevin Nash Interview is a good listen, as well. I'm impressed with Austin's ability as a broadcaster, and interviewer. He's a total natural at it.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2013, 03:34:53 PM »
I was half asleep while listening, but I believe Jim Ross mentioned your dad when going through the names of talent who worked for Bill Watts in Mid-South.

The Kevin Nash Interview is a good listen, as well. I'm impressed with Austin's ability as a broadcaster, and interviewer. He's a total natural at it.

Where can you listen to these?

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2013, 05:53:38 PM »

Where can you listen to these?

On this page:

http://podcastone.com/Steve-Austin-Show

Or from a podcast app.

Listening to the show, you can see why his "Stone Cold" character went over, so well. It's pretty much him.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2013, 01:41:39 AM »
On this page:

http://podcastone.com/Steve-Austin-Show

Or from a podcast app.

Listening to the show, you can see why his "Stone Cold" character went over, so well. It's pretty much him.

Thanks!

And, part of the Attitude Era's beauty is that they moved away from the cheesy assigned/forced characters to ones that were basically more extensions of the wrestlers' real personalities.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2013, 05:16:50 AM »
At first Austins Podcast was hard for me to listen to. It sounded like he was yelling all the time but I've moved past that and really enjoy them.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2013, 06:14:49 AM »
At first Austins Podcast was hard for me to listen to. It sounded like he was yelling all the time but I've moved past that and really enjoy them.

Yeah, I guess he felt he had to be his character, which is him turned up to "11." Now, he's realizing he can turn it down a few notches.

The show is still new. It just started this this past April.

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2013, 06:40:19 AM »
I read he owes a lot of cash in back taxes and is selling memorabilia.  Then I saw this..LOL  I will always be a Ric Flair fan but this is outrageous.

http://www.ricflair.com/online-store?page=shop.browse&category_id=18

You could probably catch him at a bar and buy him a beer and get way more conversation.

What a POS, Never personally liked Flair myself. Kinda like Hogan in certain ways Example neither one could ever bump for shit, Hella story teller tho.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2013, 11:52:51 AM »
What a POS, Never personally liked Flair myself. Kinda like Hogan in certain ways Example neither one could ever bump for shit, Hella story teller tho.

I take back what I said in the other thread about you and OLE BIG.  Those are fighting words.