Author Topic: Lakers are done.  (Read 23355 times)

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
Re: Lakers are done.
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2013, 03:14:58 PM »
They are five games out with about forty-five to go.  Plenty of time.   

They're still the most talented team in the Western Conference.  And they have Kobe.  No way I'd count them out of the playoffs.  But unless they fix that putrid D they ain't winning crap this year.

More talented than OKC or the Clippers? Gotta disagree with you there. The Lakers are no where as deep as the Clippers.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2013, 03:44:22 PM »
More talented than OKC or the Clippers? Gotta disagree with you there. The Lakers are no where as deep as the Clippers.

True of the Clippers.  The Clippers are deeper than the Lakers.  Not really true of OKC.

Regarding the Clippers, they're really one deep on the bench in terms of players who actually contribute a lot.  Odom, Hill, and Billups either haven't played much or haven't contributed much.  But on paper they're pretty deep. 

I was thinking more of the starting five.  No more talented starting five than Howard, Gasol, Metta, Kobe, and Nash.  They're playing like a lottery team, even when healthy, but no question about the talent. 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2013, 07:41:00 AM »
True of the Clippers.  The Clippers are deeper than the Lakers.  Not really true of OKC.

Regarding the Clippers, they're really one deep on the bench in terms of players who actually contribute a lot.  Odom, Hill, and Billups either haven't played much or haven't contributed much.  But on paper they're pretty deep. 

I was thinking more of the starting five.  No more talented starting five than Howard, Gasol, Metta, Kobe, and Nash.  They're playing like a lottery team, even when healthy, but no question about the talent. 

I understand your personal bias but it doesn't mean a thing if Pau is playing like shit, which he is. He's clearly on the back nine of his career. His prime years are over. And he's not comfortable playing in that offensive scheme. It clearly shows by his numbers. And now he's starting to become injury prone. Never liked him. He looks and acts like a bitch.

And don't forget about Eric Bledsoe on the Clippers. Very talented young player.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2013, 11:01:23 AM »
I understand your personal bias but it doesn't mean a thing if Pau is playing like shit, which he is. He's clearly on the back nine of his career. His prime years are over. And he's not comfortable playing in that offensive scheme. It clearly shows by his numbers. And now he's starting to become injury prone. Never liked him. He looks and acts like a bitch.

And don't forget about Eric Bledsoe on the Clippers. Very talented young player.

Would that be the same personal bias that said the Lakers are not a championship team and playing like a lottery team? 

I don't think Pau's prime years are necessarily over.  I do agree that he is not good for D'Antoni's scheme.  He shouldn't be shooting three pointers.  He's not Dirk or Kevin Love.  And say what you want about him, but he has two rings.  He gets on my nerves when he goes into Pau Ga-Soft mode, but he's still one of the most skilled big men in the game.   

Bledsoe for the Clippers is the one guy I was talking about who really contributes off the bench.  Barnes does too, but not as consistently as Bledsoe. 

You think the Clippers have a more talented starting five than the Lakers? 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2013, 11:18:32 AM »
Would that be the same personal bias that said the Lakers are not a championship team and playing like a lottery team? 

I don't think Pau's prime years are necessarily over.  I do agree that he is not good for D'Antoni's scheme.  He shouldn't be shooting three pointers.  He's not Dirk or Kevin Love.  And say what you want about him, but he has two rings.  He gets on my nerves when he goes into Pau Ga-Soft mode, but he's still one of the most skilled big men in the game.   

Bledsoe for the Clippers is the one guy I was talking about who really contributes off the bench.  Barnes does too, but not as consistently as Bledsoe. 

You think the Clippers have a more talented starting five than the Lakers? 

Yes.....by a slim margin...By virtue of their youth and athleticism. I think you're overrating Metta too much. He still takes too many bad 3 point shots and he has unpredictable behavior issues.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2013, 12:22:43 PM »
Yes.....by a slim margin...By virtue of their youth and athleticism. I think you're overrating Metta too much. He still takes too many bad 3 point shots and he has unpredictable behavior issues.

It's debatable.  I can see an argument for either team (the starting five).

Metta does shoot too many threes, but that's largely been a function of D'Antoni's offense.  The whole team shoots too many of them.  But his value is on the defensive end and the toughness he brings to the court.  I like him a lot.   

I'm hoping Jerry Buss goes back to Phil and begs him to take over the team.   :-\

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2013, 11:09:51 AM »
Signs of life?  The Black Mamba is still a beast.  He can do whatever the heck he wants.  He could lead the league in scoring or assists.  He can be a lock down defender.  He's clutch. 

I hope the rest of that team steps.  They have the talent.  I hope they can have some success in spite of playing for D'Antoni's no-defense-having-seven-seconds-or-less scheme.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2013, 12:13:11 PM »
Signs of life?  The Black Mamba is still a beast.  He can do whatever the heck he wants.  He could lead the league in scoring or assists.  He can be a lock down defender.  He's clutch. 

I hope the rest of that team steps.  They have the talent.  I hope they can have some success in spite of playing for D'Antoni's no-defense-having-seven-seconds-or-less scheme.

Theyve ditched that retarded ass offense

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2013, 12:38:08 PM »
Theyve ditched that retarded ass offense

Retarded is right.  Making friggin Pau shoot three pointers.   ::)  Kobe said they're an inside out team yesterday.  Imposing his will on D'Antoni?

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2013, 12:49:05 PM »
Retarded is right.  Making friggin Pau shoot three pointers.   ::)  Kobe said they're an inside out team yesterday.  Imposing his will on D'Antoni?

Best back to the basket player in the League... and he is jacking 3's

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2013, 12:58:00 PM »
Best back to the basket player in the League... and he is jacking 3's

And he's coming off the bench.  At nearly $20 mil a year. 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2013, 02:19:26 PM »
Trade Dwight now while you can still get value for him.

There is no way he re-signs with L.A.

He plays with no heart out there.

What's the point of putting this talent together if they suck as teammates? Do they want to go down in history as the most talented starting five NOT to ever make the playoffs?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2013, 07:28:04 PM »
Trade Dwight now while you can still get value for him.

There is no way he re-signs with L.A.

He plays with no heart out there.

What's the point of putting this talent together if they suck as teammates? Do they want to go down in history as the most talented starting five NOT to ever make the playoffs?

Trade him for who? 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2013, 07:48:06 AM »
Trade him for who? 

For a Lopez from the Nets and some outside shooting, possibly. I think Howard would be more likely to re-sign with the Nets. But the Nets now probably feel they can get him for nothing after the season.

I just don't see Howard re-signing with L.A. He doesn't look comfortable with the spotlight and extra attention and expectations.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2013, 10:58:57 AM »
For a Lopez from the Nets and some outside shooting, possibly. I think Howard would be more likely to re-sign with the Nets. But the Nets now probably feel they can get him for nothing after the season.

I just don't see Howard re-signing with L.A. He doesn't look comfortable with the spotlight and extra attention and expectations.

I'm not sure the salaries match.  The talent sure doesn't. 

He can't get a max contract anywhere else with the fifth year.  I don't think he'll pass up the money.  But anything can happen. 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2013, 01:48:12 PM »
I'm not sure the salaries match.  The talent sure doesn't

He can't get a max contract anywhere else with the fifth year.  I don't think he'll pass up the money.  But anything can happen. 

Really....check his stat line....18.6 pts, 7.3 rebs and 2.2 blocks...not to mention a 74% FT

Maybe not as talented athletically, but fundamentally?? Lopez is way better. And younger. (24)

Lopez and maybe get a 3rd team involved to get a scorer and a post player.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2013, 02:33:31 PM »
Really....check his stat line....18.6 pts, 7.3 rebs and 2.2 blocks...not to mention a 74% FT

Maybe not as talented athletically, but fundamentally?? Lopez is way better. And younger. (24)

but the nets dont want howard, this has been documented.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2013, 03:40:25 PM »
but the nets dont want howard, this has been documented.

yeah..it was a suggestion. Not sure where else where a trade would make sense.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2013, 03:43:35 PM »

That's a nice stat line, but are you saying Lopez is as talented as Howard? 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2013, 03:53:33 PM »
That's a nice stat line, but are you saying Lopez is as talented as Howard? 

Overall...no. But fundamentals? Lopez has the upside to have a more rounded game than Howard. He reminds of Tim Duncan a little. Howard's strengths are his athleticism and defense. And he barely has a post game, if you can call it that.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2013, 04:11:43 PM »
Overall...no. But fundamentals? Lopez has the upside to have a more rounded game than Howard. He reminds of Tim Duncan a little. Howard's strengths are his athleticism and defense. And he barely has a post game, if you can call it that.

Can't argue with your comments about Howard. His post game stinks.  And I never thought I would ever see anyone shoot FTs worse than Snack O'Neal.  I was wrong.   

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2013, 08:46:06 AM »
lakers on a roll kobe actually CAN pass the ball..... :o :o :o :o :o :o
F

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2013, 11:16:28 AM »
lakers on a roll kobe actually CAN pass the ball..... :o :o :o :o :o :o

Kobe plays the 2, so he shouldn't have to be a facilitator.  In spite of that, he has lead the team in assists pretty much every year as a starter, so this notion of him not sharing the ball is not accurate. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2013, 04:12:44 PM »
Crawled into the 8th seed.  I think they probably end up with the 6th seed by the end of the season.  Doing it without Pau too. 

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2013, 05:49:11 PM »
Crawled into the 8th seed.  I think they probably end up with the 6th seed by the end of the season.  Doing it without Pau too. 

this should be the main thread.

BB i have to say you were right. the lakers were to good on the roster not to make the playoffs. You have knowledge sir!

yes if they keep up the pace 6th seed for sure, the lakers defensively are terrible thats what will cost them against OKC or Spurs in the 1st round.