Author Topic: I was thinking of getting this machine...opinions?  (Read 5734 times)

Sljck-NjnjaRjder

• Getbig IV
  • Nobody is jealous of a loser!
I was thinking of getting this machine...opinions?
« on: December 04, 2005, 07:23:52 PM »
Since I changed/moved gyms, I have not signed up for a new one at the moment, but I have been lifting at my home gym.  Decent weights and the normal stuff, but doing squats has been a thing missing from my workouts in a couple months (I know that is bad), and my free weight set doesnt have a squat rack. 

So i was considering getting this squat machine so I could atleast do some stuff on it.  What do you guys think or have heard of this?

Powertec leverage squat machine:

Is it worth $449?  http://www.powertecfitness.com/squatcalfs.htm
Sleep Big.

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: I was thinking of getting this machine...opinions?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 07:40:29 PM »
can you get acan you get a very cheap sqaut cage/rack?? if i was you i would take that money and just get a membership. bc if you put the cost of buying weights at home and i've seen the problem with a home gym. i had a friend that his cadio machine bokedown and now he has to wait and cant even workout.  when you train at home, you cant do things that you can at the gym. like going to faliure

Sljck-NjnjaRjder

• Getbig IV
  • Nobody is jealous of a loser!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 08:35:54 PM »
I think what I want out of this is to have some type of convenience (thats what the home gym is ultimately for).  So Im hoping that I could have something that i could do squats on like twice a week but still go to the gym when I wanted. 

I am looking on the net, and that 449 is the cheapest price I have seen.  Must be great or something.
Sleep Big.

KSA

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 11:51:31 AM »
I have that machine and i like it because i can also do calf raises . :)

To train your legs you can also use a trap/shrug bar .

http://www.epinions.com/Powertec_Leverage_Squat_Calf_Exercise_Equipment/display_~reviews

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 11:56:24 AM »
Get a power rack, you can do squats, rack deads, military, shrugs, calves, bench lockouts.....with that machine you are limited.

8)

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 01:01:46 PM »
Have to agree with Overload that a power rack is going to give you more choices of exercises in the long run. Much more bang for the buck. That machine, like most of those pivet point angle machines, don't allow a true strength/preformance curve. Check that guy who is doing that squat in a totally incorrect manner, prone to injury with that style. You might also consider the shippinmg cost if your not going to pick it up in person (that's why p/ups are so handy). The price can almost be as much as the machine it's self in some cases. Good Luck.

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 03:16:01 AM »
450 for this machine is just to much. Try to find a powerrack somewhere, new or used, there are a lot of people who buy equipment with the intension to start training, but don't do a damn thing.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 02:03:00 PM »
Powertec and similar Body Solid equipment is excellent-effective and good value. I prefer it to racks and free weights because of the feel and safety as well as greater options.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 02:35:32 PM »
Those machines are actually really good.  Go for it, if I had the cash I would get one.

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 04:53:08 PM »
machine squats are gay as the day is long, buy a set of squat racks from www.ironmind.com they've got a set of squat racks that double as a dip stands, they use these racks at the U.S, Olympic training center i think they're around 250 bucks, they're called Vulcan Racks.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

freakfestMD

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2005, 11:15:44 AM »
Yeah, that position doesn't look to natural--call it what you want, but that aint no SQUAT.

I have a Gold's membership, but on weekends I train at home.  Best purchase for me was BodySolid's Smith press, with high and low pulleys included.  I also have a spankin' new, commercial grade lying leg curl, leg extension, seated calf, BodySolid seated row and PowerBlock dumbells.  There aint a body part that I can't crush into oblivion at home with the same intensity I use at Gold's.  Plus, the Smith makes it very safe.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2005, 04:53:55 PM »
machine squats are gay as the day is long, buy a set of squat racks

Stated with Macho Man by the Village People heard playing in the background. Someone has issues.  ;D

There's clearly a macho-man/popeye contingent on this and other boards that is stuck on strictly old-school strongman free weights n' racks circa 1905. No cables, no machines, just predictable suggestions akin to lifting heavy rocks in cave man days. Always factor the he-man biases into assessments of newer, excellent options.

As far as Powertec and BodySolid's Powerlift station, I have used a lot of their pieces. They work as well or better than free weights, are as safe or safer re: solo training without spotter, and have a feel that is at least as good. Generally I prefer those machines. Non other than Lee Priest seems to agree, on the squat station and others.

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2005, 08:26:44 AM »
Stated with Macho Man by the Village People heard playing in the background. Someone has issues.  ;D

There's clearly a macho-man/popeye contingent on this and other boards that is stuck on strictly old-school strongman free weights n' racks circa 1905. No cables, no machines, just predictable suggestions akin to lifting heavy rocks in cave man days. Always factor the he-man biases into assessments of newer, excellent options.

As far as Powertec and BodySolid's Powerlift station, I have used a lot of their pieces. They work as well or better than free weights, are as safe or safer re: solo training without spotter, and have a feel that is at least as good. Generally I prefer those machines. Non other than Lee Priest seems to agree, on the squat station and others.
translation=i can only squat 135 and i have 19 inch legs.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2005, 08:54:27 AM »
Since I changed/moved gyms, I have not signed up for a new one at the moment, but I have been lifting at my home gym.  Decent weights and the normal stuff, but doing squats has been a thing missing from my workouts in a couple months (I know that is bad), and my free weight set doesnt have a squat rack. 

So i was considering getting this squat machine so I could atleast do some stuff on it.  What do you guys think or have heard of this?

Powertec leverage squat machine:

Is it worth $449?  http://www.powertecfitness.com/squatcalfs.htm

I suggest you ask Princess L and Knny187
R

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2005, 09:13:09 AM »
translation=i can only squat 135 and i have 19 inch legs.

Nice try; my thighs are almost Platzian from years of squats. Lee Priest is also wrong, according to this guy. Must be referring to himself, again. Buy a machine and work those suckers..

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2005, 09:16:05 AM »
Nice try; my thighs are almost Platzian. Must be referring to himself, again. Buy a machine and work those suckers..
hahahaha, and we know Tom Platz never did barbell squats ::) anyway, let's see pics of the "Platzian" quads.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2005, 09:17:08 AM »
From previous posts i'd say that's a coded request for dick shotz. Request denied.  :D

I'm sure Platz would've been just fine with today's machine squats had they been around then. I am; try open mindedness for '06...

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2005, 09:20:10 AM »
From previous posts i'd say that's a coded request for dick shotz. Request denied.

I'm sure Platz would've been just fine with today's machine squats had they been around then. I am; try open mindedness for '06...
i knew you'd pussy out, until i see pics of these huge legs, you are a skinny, pusssy ass, chicken legged bitch.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2005, 10:09:13 AM »
You can get a power cage from Iron man magazine for $340.  You can squat inside it safely with bars to catch you in benchs and squats.  You can also add extras as your wallet will allow. 

The Power Tec squat machine is actually a really good movement.  It feels like a cross between a front squat and a hack squat.  The calf block is way to low to get a good stretch.  I own the Tuff stuff version of this machine.  It cost a couple hundred more.  I wish I saved my money and went with the power tec but the calf block on the tuff stuff really gives a good stretch. 

I start legs with the 45 degree leg press machine.  Then I use conventional olympic style squats.  These are true full squats.  Lastly I finish up with machine squats on my tuff stuff squat machine.  Typical leg extensions and leg curls follow. The power tec machine squat machine is a really good machine.  It takes the back out of squatting to a certain extend; almost like hacks.  It's a design that's copied by many companies. This points out how good an idea this machine is.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2005, 10:35:12 AM »
So you like the Powertec better for thighs, but for calves the stretch is better on the Body Solid? How would you feel about using the Powertec for thighs instead of squats?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2005, 04:09:11 PM »
I'm old school.  I would always rate squats better.  There is more lower back involvement and it involves balance.  If you had a back injury I could see using the power tec exclusively.  As I stated before I use machine squats in addition to conventional squats.  I believe the power tec has an adjustable stop so you can't get stuck in the low position.  Tuff Stuff has a stop but it's not adjustable.  The tuff stuff safety stop is very deep.  If you don't have the room for a safety cage I'm sure you could find squat racks at a reasonable price. 

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2005, 04:23:32 PM »
Thanks for the info, but it's still unclear-it's not the same as squats but what kind of workout and development can you get using just the Powertec? I have the feeling it would be comparable or close..

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2005, 04:33:20 PM »
Conventional squats involve more lower back and hips muscles than power tec.  It also teachs balance with a free moving weight.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2005, 04:36:02 PM »
If the idea's strictly development, balance issues wouldn't bother some, nor would the lack of hip and back work. The advantage of a machine is that without balance & safety issues, more weight can usually be lifted, so there are pros and cons.

Without directly answering the question I think you're saying that leg development would be similar, but the machine won't provide quite the all-round benefit ie no back & hip work. That might make a difference in some sports applications, but for strict leg development this thing seems to be comparable, as well as safer, for home workouts.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2005, 09:40:04 AM »
I always care about function over form.  Train for function and form will follow.

This sounds like a machine vs free weight debate.  Who will be better at say lifting a heavy rock and running up a flight of stairs.  You can answer the one who is better skilled at it.  Let's take skill out out of the picture. Let's say you use two identical twins for this some what pointless debate.  I say the guy who does power cleans, squats and general free weight exercises will easily beat the other machine trained twin.  The twin that sits in a machine to do curls, tris, presses, and squats will be at an athletic disadvantage.  Having said this I'm not anti machine.  I love a lot of the Nautilus machines.  I just know of the real world advantage of using free weights.

I said it before.  The Power Tec squat machine is a great way to train the legs.  Try it and I think you will be impressed with the movement.  I see a lot of guys use a really shallow squat to pile on the plates to impress.  I think they are robbing their thighs of the benefits of a full range of motion.  You see guys cheating to impress others all the time doing shallow squats, leg presses; and dumbbell presses.  You can pile on the weight if you do half reps and tell everyone you use X amount of weight but that's just telling a tale for your ego.  Wait, I think I went off track in this post.  What got me going is I over heard a guy at the gym said he uses 315 for his inclines.  Looking at the guy I thought no way.  I observed him on chest day using 315 in the smith machine using less than half reps.  Hell, a  grand ma could do that.  If he used a free moving bar and brought the weight to his chest he wouldn't be able to get one rep.  Sorry here I go again.