Author Topic: Nerve Damage from Blood Donation?  (Read 13907 times)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Nerve Damage from Blood Donation?
« on: December 11, 2012, 10:09:16 PM »
I donated blood the day before Thanksgiving.  The phlebotomist tied the tourniquet so damn tight, my fingers turned blue.  I told her it was too tight, but she wouldn't loosen up on it.  It really hurt, but I figured it was just the skin being pinched and my arm quickly went numb anyway.  Then, when she stuck me with the needle, the burning sensation sent m,e through the roof.  She blamed it on the iodine.  Then, within seconds of flow, she dug the needle in more (my veins always roll & collapse, which I informed in advance).

Oddly enough, there were no marks or bruising (or I would've taken a pic), but I still have discomfort in the area where the tourniquet was.  Sometimes there's a cold sensation and sometimes there's a "twinge".  Nothing in particular sets it off.  It's pretty much in the area of the pronator teres muscle.

Any ideas?

:

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Nerve Damage from Blood Donation?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 07:10:07 PM »
there were no marks or bruising

Is your arm swollen anywhere at all?
Is there any redness in the phlebotomized area?
Do any of the veins in/around the affected site resemble varicose veins?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 10:39:38 AM »

Is your arm swollen anywhere at all?
Is there any redness in the phlebotomized area?
Do any of the veins in/around the affected site resemble varicose veins?

^
Negative

:-\

No good deed...
Maybe I should consult an attorney
:o ;)
:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 05:24:48 PM »
^
Negative

No good deed...
Maybe I should consult an attorney
:o ;)

Okay. You said the tech did a lot of "digging." I was just considering the possibility of an accidental AVF. Of course, I can't determine if you do or don't have one - proper diagnosis is needed - but, it doesn't sound like you have one.

No swelling is a very good sign!

Do you feel a dull ache anywhere in your arm?
Any shortness of breath?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 06:02:39 PM »

Okay. You said the tech did a lot of "digging." I was just considering the possibility of an accidental AVF. Of course, I can't determine if you do or don't have one - proper diagnosis is needed - but, it doesn't sound like you have one.

No swelling is a very good sign!

Do you feel a dull ache anywhere in your arm?
Any shortness of breath?

No aches.  No shortness of breath.  Just every once in awhile a "twinge" at the tourniquet site - almost feels like the tourniquet is still there.  They're becoming less frequent.  They ALWAYS end up digging  >:(    I think I'm going to quit giving.   The techs don't seem very competent.   I fainted the day after (about 16 hours later) this past summer.  Doing nothing really - just watering flowers.  Attributed it to the heat.  Whenever I have a draw, they use a "child's needle" or "butterfly needle"  ???  Getting tested to see if I was a marrow donor candidate took FOREVER.  Not sure how much blood they took for testing, but the tray had a lot of vials. 
:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 06:15:05 PM »
Well, that's good. Doesn't sound like a blood clot, either. :)

I'm not sure that symptoms occurring the next day would be related, but dehydration can cause light-headedness/fainting when having blood drawn; the effects are often experienced immediately after. Dehydration can also make for difficult phlebotomy.

I saw the room spin the first time I had blood drawn. From that time on, I've always made a point to load up on fluids prior, and I've never had any problem since.

scottt

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 05:14:10 AM »
Ok, so she put the tourniquet in your antecubital area, where did she stick you?