Author Topic: sternum pull-ups  (Read 21797 times)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: sternum pull-ups
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 06:33:48 PM »
Though a master at adapting and using different approaches to exercises  and training style, Gironda wasn't the first, by any means, to use the sternum (for a better name) chin. Gymnastic use a form of this, with bar or ring work.  Probably the ancient Greeks and Romans used similar styles. And the Sumer's before them.

If wanting an exceptional chin movement, on a bar or rings, that learn the Muscle Up. Get your pull and push exercise in one movement, while building strength.......a very functional exercise.  A somewhat basic exercise for most gymnast.  Some have even added extra weight to the movement. Been told elite military training does include this form of training. Seen well trained women athletics do these, as a regular part of workouts. Good Luck.

F

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 06:38:29 PM »
Though a master at adapting and using different approaches to exercises  and training style, Gironda wasn't the first, by any means, to use the sternum (for a better name) chin. Gymnastic use a form of this, with bar or ring work.  Probably the ancient Greeks and Romans used similar styles. And the Sumer's before them.

If wanting an exceptional chin movement, on a bar or rings, that learn the Muscle Up. Get your pull and push exercise in one movement, while building strength.......a very functional exercise.  A somewhat basic exercise for most gymnast.  Some have even added extra weight to the movement. Been told elite military training does include this form of training. Seen well trained women athletics do these, as a regular part of workouts. Good Luck.

i love doing muscleups at least once per week... i still remember the day when i completed my first one at a bodyweight of 265... is was an unreal feeling

now they are way easier but no less satisfying... when i do them t home i have to stoop just a bit at the top to not bang my head on the ceiling :)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 06:54:45 PM »
WOOO..you be the man!!!

Last time I tried them was my junior year in college ( believe). A very overlooked exercise. Good Luck.
F

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 07:11:15 PM »
WOOO..you be the man!!!

Last time I tried them was my junior year in college ( believe). A very overlooked exercise. Good Luck.

hit it tomorrow dude... i kinda of do a 'kipping' muscle up these days... ultimately, the point is to get up there!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2013, 02:21:12 AM »
hit it tomorrow dude... i kinda of do a 'kipping' muscle up these days... ultimately, the point is to get up there!
got to admit itīs easier for us smaller guys... ;)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2013, 04:01:32 AM »
got to admit itīs easier for us smaller guys... ;)

yeah... the only time i get jealous of shorter/lighter men is when i'm doing a ballistic bodyweight movement

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2013, 08:58:21 AM »
Kipping would be a good thing for any BB'er to learn, also hits the total ab wall extremely hard. Straight muscle up's can prove to be a bit more of a challenge for most. Some misguided people  might think that kip's are cheating. But than again, in BB'ing it's not cheating if it works. Include rope climbing (legs out 90 degrees to the body) in that type workout...superior upper body work.

Always thought any older BB'er should include some form of pull up & dips in training. Never know when you might have to use that extra strength to get out of a situation not planned. Accident or emergency where you have to pull or push  yourself out of harms way. Getting out of a stuck elevator & pulling up to the overhead escape door, pushing out of a crashed car, climbing up a steep embankment while using a rescue rope, etc, etc..etc..  This would include women, to a certain degree. Good Luck.
F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2013, 09:37:24 AM »
Doing muscle up's or kip's on a pair of rings give a whole new feel to the movements. Some will go into a crucifix/iron cross, as the body is lowered. Or just into the crucifix from the bottom position.

Try doing dips, either wide out or close, while on a pair of rings. Even butterfly's with lower ring hanging straps, and feet usually on a bench. Great pec movement.  Good Luck.
F

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2013, 05:57:24 PM »
sternum chin were pioneered by vince

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2013, 06:06:54 PM »
Even butterfly's with lower ring hanging straps, and feet usually on a bench. Great pec movement.  Good Luck.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2013, 09:34:41 AM »
Montague:  Yes, I was thinking about Gironda, with the ring fly's in mine. Thank you.

Can do  floor fly's, or reverse face down fly's  (so many different names for the same exercises/training systems in BB'ing or lifting..west coast, east coast and all points between) with a pair of DB's. Just loosen the outside collars so the plates can act as rollers and extend out to the sides. Keeps tension on the pecs throughout. Something like you can do with a Ab roller. As it becomes easier, place the feet on a bench, chair or whatever.

Not designed for really heavy weight, a DB fly can become more like a wide DB press with more of a arm bend. Which you will have do do with extreme weights, else the bicep become over strained/stretched, begging for a tear. Good Luck.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2013, 11:43:32 AM »
Montague:  Yes, I was thinking about Gironda, with the ring fly's in mine. Thank you.

No problem.

You turned me onto Vince's & Scott's ideas several years ago, and have given me lots of other good advice since I became a member here. So, I thank you, as well!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2013, 11:50:44 AM »
Well the thread Was about back Training ... ???

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2013, 11:57:12 AM »
Well the thread Was about back Training ... ???

Yes, it was.
 ;D

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2013, 12:05:34 PM »

Yes, it was.
 ;D
mate i just can't be botherd to read Jpms long drawn out boring posts about escaping out of an elevator ::) and other rubbish. he bores the shit out me. why is he rambling about Greeks and all that?? he writes like we know nothing about training.. or escaping out a car? is the guy on drugs ??

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2013, 12:32:52 PM »
mate i just can't be botherd to read Jpms long drawn out boring posts about escaping out of an elevator ::) and other rubbish. he bores the shit out me. why is he rambling about Greeks and all that?? he writes like we know nothing about training.. or escaping out a car? is the guy on drugs ??

You're both good dudes.
Don't take this shit too seriously.
 8)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2013, 12:37:51 PM »
 8)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2013, 03:19:06 PM »
when i start to feel like the stable one on this board i get scared...  :-\ ;D

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2013, 04:29:58 PM »
Hmmmmmm.........well I have no problem with Donny expressing himself anyway he wants. Don't care for any of my stuff...than perhaps don't bother to read any of it, seems like a option for him.

Not sure why all the anger, or maybe unhappiness in his personal life, coming from him in my direction...but he can flame away at me all he wants.  It is the internet after all. Sure if we met in person, there could be common ground between us (notice I'm using the Sun Tzu approach here). I'll buy the first round at a nice little beach bar on PCH.

Donny is encouraged to take this up with the mods, or Ron himself, if the vile, disturbing and insulting post of mine upset him so much.   Good Luck.
F

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2013, 04:46:56 PM »
Hmmmmmm.........well I have no problem with Donny expressing himself anyway he wants. Don't care for any of my stuff...than perhaps don't bother to read any of it, seems like a option for him.

Not sure why all the anger, or maybe unhappiness in his personal life, coming from him in my direction...but he can flame away at me all he wants.  It is the internet after all. Sure if we met in person, there could be common ground between us (notice I'm using the Sun Tzu approach here). I'll buy the first round at a nice little beach bar on PCH.

Donny is encouraged to take this up with the mods, or Ron himself, if the vile, disturbing and insulting post of mine upset him so much.   Good Luck.

JPM, your reign of terror has gone on long enough!!!!

Monty, arrest this man  >:( >:(

8)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2013, 04:54:09 PM »
JPM, your reign of terror has gone on long enough!!!!

Monty, arrest this man  >:( >:(

LOL!!
Sorry, I'm not a mod on this board.

That is up to Chaos, and you don't want to piss him off. He's fond of altering posts to contain bestiality-laden overtones and then locking the thread so you can't change it. Occasionally, he'll then move said thread to the G&O board for a more thorough bashing.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2013, 05:05:44 PM »
Montague:  Yes, I was thinking about Gironda, with the ring fly's in mine.

Classic pics of Scott & Vince would have been helpful in discussing v-bar dips with PUMPSTER, who I recall emphatically insisted for a time that there even was no such thing. Then, about two years later, he spoke of them as if he'd personally "invented" the method. He went on about what a rare/classic/vintage piece of equipment it was, etc. I laughed my ass off!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2013, 05:54:17 PM »

Classic pics of Scott & Vince would have been helpful in discussing v-bar dips with PUMPSTER, who I recall emphatically insisted for a time that there even was no such thing. Then, about two years later, he spoke of them as if he'd personally "invented" the method. He went on about what a rare/classic/vintage piece of equipment it was, etc. I laughed my ass off!

makes my elbows ache just looking at that... never really found a comfortable dip position... i still do regular dips... but i have to be very careful on the eccentric contraction to avoid tweaking my elbows

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2013, 06:48:38 PM »

makes my elbows ache just looking at that... never really found a comfortable dip position... i still do regular dips... but i have to be very careful on the eccentric contraction to avoid tweaking my elbows

It helps doing them on v-bars. I tried using a knuckles-in (facing each other) grip on parallel dip bars, but that wrecked my wrists real quick. JPM suggested resting the palms on the butt/end of the handles, with the knuckles angled about 45 degrees to the torso, as they are in Scott's version.
He also recommended using some type of padding to provide grip by giving the palms something to "bite" into, since you really can't close your fingers around the handles. Short sections of pipe insulation work well for me.

I do dips like this regularly and love the feel in my pecs that the flared elbows provide.

If your elbows bother you, consider using a slower negative, especially near the bottom of the movement. This practice often reduces stress and trauma on the soft tissue surrounding joints.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2013, 07:49:47 PM »
well monty if jpm says to Do it...my advice is don't do it..like his one arm chins.