Author Topic: The mile as a fitness measure, whats your mile time?  (Read 3644 times)

cephissus

• Getbig V
Re: The mile as a fitness measure, whats your mile time?
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2012, 04:25:23 AM »
yeah, absoute toothpick like legs ;D

haha, they are

the photo is just shrunk and distorted to fit the avatar dimensions... quite in my favor ;D

Jon Harridan

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • My dog fucks the little girl fivesilvernickels.
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2012, 01:40:45 PM »
When I was in school I could run it in about 8 minutes.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2012, 03:11:04 PM »
I was a sprinter in high school and college. I did enter a cross country two mile race in high school and ran at 5:15 pace. I guess on a track that would have been two 5 minute miles. Tracks are not 440 yards anymore but 400 meters. Metric mile times are faster than a mile.I wonder if guys are stating their metric mile times.  I'm nearly 54 but about 5 years ago I ran a fun run mile before a 5K race in 6:20. Thought I was going to die.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2012, 04:55:23 PM »
  Used to run three in 16:30   USMC

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2012, 05:10:36 PM »
Could a man 300+ pound man even run a mile? I'm thinking it wouldn't be pretty.

Pottsy

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2012, 05:18:40 PM »
Anyone can sprint a mile try running the half marathon under 70mins now that is an effort.

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2012, 05:25:15 PM »
Anyone can sprint a mile try running the half marathon under 70mins now that is an effort.

No one can sprint for a mile.  Unless your definition for sprint is different than the term used for Sprint Runners.

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2012, 05:29:12 PM »
3:30 for 1km, no fucking idea about mile, we use metric system here.

Pottsy

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2012, 05:35:28 PM »
Mile = 1.6 kms I think but that 3.30 sounds fast dude.

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2012, 05:38:25 PM »
That's average for a fit person I guess. 2 guys in HS broke 3 mins barrier, most of fit guys were below 3:30. In HS my time was way over 5:00 haha.

That was during summer, I was running a lot and I was generally fit. Resting HR was around 55. Now it's like 65 and I think I would get pumped like hell after 500m with that pace... Quid pro quo.

hrspwr1

• Getbig III
  • flirtin with disaster everyday
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2012, 05:45:12 PM »
I ran a mile race this past June at 7:17, it had two hills in it, one at the very end that wanted me to die.
 I figure for a flat course the high 6`s would be attainable, fast enough for me. Ran so hard I could taste blood in my lungs.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2012, 05:56:09 PM »
I ran a mile race this past June at 7:17, it had two hills in it, one at the very end that wanted me to die.
 I figure for a flat course the high 6`s would be attainable, fast enough for me. Ran so hard I could taste blood in my lungs.

I know it is just a figure of speech, but how do you taste anything in your lungs? Do lungs have taste buds?

hrspwr1

• Getbig III
  • flirtin with disaster everyday
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2012, 05:59:02 PM »
For me, I could taste the iron from the blood. It had happened a few times so I looked it up, not that uncommon under stress.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2012, 07:13:11 PM »
The times the elite run in the mile and the 800 is sprinting by any definition. It use to be said the 400 was the end of sprinting but the speeds of world class runners is insane. Even marathoners lay down 4:45 miles during the course of running a marathon. Most treadmills won't even go that fast.

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2012, 07:16:12 PM »
20..maybe 30 minutes.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2012, 07:25:13 PM »
Define "fitness"

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2012, 07:38:54 PM »
A lot of those super fast Kenya's are actually Alien hybrids.

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2012, 07:43:48 PM »
Define "fitness"

Leroy and Jamal give your anus daily workouts to keep it fit.
P

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2012, 08:00:11 PM »
Define "fitness"

The quality of being in shape is one that benefits health. Such health qualities as a lower resting heart rate that shows your heart muscle is efficient at pumping blood. This is improved through both aerobic and anaerobic training. Since heart attacks is the number one killer of man this is an important attribute. Also changing the ratios of HDL to LDl's again through training. Lowering blood sugar and blood pressure through cardio is another measure of fitness. Triglycerides or blood fats also improve through aerobic training. So fitness can be defined as the ability to endure. Life is an endurance race not a sprint ultimately. Fitness can also be exchanged with the word conditioning. If you have ever boxed or wrestled you would know that having endurance is an important quality to use the slang to avoid gassing. Having fitness isn't a bench press number. Some of the softest punching guys are bench pressers that can bench press a truck. Fitness involves more than strength. It involves strength, power, endurance, anaerobic capacity, and aerobic capacity. Just trying to make an athlete stronger is a mistake. Power is the quality of how fast you can release strength. It's more important that limit strength. That's why almost every guy that can clean and jerk 315lbs can dunk and sprint and many so called power lifters can't reach the net.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2012, 09:13:06 PM »
The quality of being in shape is one that benefits health. Such health qualities as a lower resting heart rate that shows your heart muscle is efficient at pumping blood. This is improved through both aerobic and anaerobic training. Since heart attacks is the number one killer of man this is an important attribute. Also changing the ratios of HDL to LDl's again through training. Lowering blood sugar and blood pressure through cardio is another measure of fitness. Triglycerides or blood fats also improve through aerobic training. So fitness can be defined as the ability to endure. Life is an endurance race not a sprint ultimately. Fitness can also be exchanged with the word conditioning. If you have ever boxed or wrestled you would know that having endurance is an important quality to use the slang to avoid gassing. Having fitness isn't a bench press number. Some of the softest punching guys are bench pressers that can bench press a truck. Fitness involves more than strength. It involves strength, power, endurance, anaerobic capacity, and aerobic capacity. Just trying to make an athlete stronger is a mistake. Power is the quality of how fast you can release strength. It's more important that limit strength. That's why almost every guy that can clean and jerk 315lbs can dunk and sprint and many so called power lifters can't reach the net.

You know, I know all this stuff and yet I have been so lazy about working out this past year. The other day I took the dogs for a walk and ended up out of breath....not at good sign at all! Of course I do live on a hill. But I actually had to stop and rest a couple of times. The dogs were getting pissed! LOL.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2012, 09:17:26 PM »
  Used to run three in 16:30   USMC

wow is there anything you can't do ???

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2012, 10:49:15 PM »
3:30 for 1km, no fucking idea about mile, we use metric system here.

that's about a 6:30 mile, not bad

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2012, 10:52:20 PM »
  I was company iron man       I run 18 now