Author Topic: NY Gunman left note declaring plan to kill people...used stolen guns  (Read 8738 times)

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: NY Gunman left note declaring plan to kill people...used stolen guns
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2012, 04:49:34 PM »
A pound or so of nails and dry ice... seems pretty damn efficient to me.

When has there been a mass killing in the US by way of nails and dry ice?

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2012, 04:52:05 PM »
Another reason this happened is because we took god out of firehouses.

G

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2012, 05:02:51 PM »
Another reason this happened is because we took god out of firehouses.

"He works in mysterious ways" / "He has a plan"

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2012, 05:46:40 PM »
I didn't see that on your list

tell me how the nails and dry ice thing works

just wondering in case I want to go duck hunting
Wow, way to fucking fail at making a sarcastic remark dumbass.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2012, 05:49:22 PM »
When has there been a mass killing in the US by way of nails and dry ice?

And when has there been arson without an accelerant in the last 25 or 50 years? Should we just ban accelerants?

Guns are a tool. Like most tools, they can be used in ways that are right and ways that are wrong. The tools have no say in the matter and are not inherently bad or good. They just are. What people – especially crazy people – use the tools for is a whole 'mother matter.

Are you, perhaps, familiar with Prohibition? With prohibition a group of nutjobs that belogned to the Temperance Movement advocated that if only alcohol – a vile and tempting mistress which seduced men against their will wasn't available then things would just be wonderful and the curse of booze (also awkward dancing and drunken sex with women who are ugly) would be listen and our society would no longer be burdened by it...

And you must know how wonderfully that turned our.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2012, 05:50:43 PM »
Wow, way to fucking fail at making a sarcastic remark dumbass.

maybe avxo got the reference

Can you elaborate on why rocket launchers are OK but chemical or biological weapons aren't? How will you go duck huntin'?

avxo

• Getbig V

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2012, 05:53:42 PM »
maybe avxo got the reference

Eh.. my bad. I guess thats what I get for only reading the last couple posts.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2012, 05:56:04 PM »
Eh.. my bad. I guess thats what I get for only reading the last couple posts.

no worries

that post wasn't even from this thread

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2012, 02:14:45 AM »
And when has there been arson without an accelerant in the last 25 or 50 years? Should we just ban accelerants?

Guns are a tool. Like most tools, they can be used in ways that are right and ways that are wrong. The tools have no say in the matter and are not inherently bad or good. They just are. What people – especially crazy people – use the tools for is a whole 'mother matter.

Are you, perhaps, familiar with Prohibition? With prohibition a group of nutjobs that belogned to the Temperance Movement advocated that if only alcohol – a vile and tempting mistress which seduced men against their will wasn't available then things would just be wonderful and the curse of booze (also awkward dancing and drunken sex with women who are ugly) would be listen and our society would no longer be burdened by it...

And you must know how wonderfully that turned our.
Interesting point, but what about this scenario (I know it's happened in America before)

A man gets pissed at his ex wife for child support, custody, alimony, etc. He really hates the wife's entire family for screwing him over and decides, in the heat of the moment to kill them all.

Now, the members of the family are not all in the same house, but at different houses around town, so he will have to drive different places to kill them. Would setting them on fire be simply another tool in his murder bag (if you will) at this point? Or doesn't a gun make it much easie for him to do this?

I imagine it would be difficult to get a person to stand still and set them on fire, so it would probably take some time to accomplish it. Maybe you would have to beat them into submission or tie them up. Anyway, by the time, let's say, the first two have been set on fire, wouldn't the others have time to be alerted and take precautionary measures?

In this instance, is fire an equal tool to the gun? Or does the gun offer advantages in the method of killing?
G

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2012, 03:28:54 AM »
So the solution is for the United States to return to the stone age. Swords, clubs, knives and 2x4's will be the preferred choice of murderers.

Oh and also, don't forget incendiary devices such as molotov cocktails-- TNT, and explosives that can be made with household items.

The 911 hijackers had boxcutters. How much death, murder and mayhem was accomplished by a handful of savages without a gun?

How about mass poisonings?

The possibilities are endless.

To my liberal brethren who think taking legal guns away from law abiding citizens is a good idea-- How would that curb the criminal gun violence with illegal firearms, the overwhelming number of black on black homicides (which make up the lion share of gun deaths in America) or somehow make the general public safer? 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2012, 07:39:40 AM »
 :D

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2012, 10:41:58 AM »
Interesting point, but what about this scenario (I know it's happened in America before)

A man gets pissed at his ex wife for child support, custody, alimony, etc. He really hates the wife's entire family for screwing him over and decides, in the heat of the moment to kill them all.

Now, the members of the family are not all in the same house, but at different houses around town, so he will have to drive different places to kill them. Would setting them on fire be simply another tool in his murder bag (if you will) at this point? Or doesn't a gun make it much easie for him to do this?

I imagine it would be difficult to get a person to stand still and set them on fire, so it would probably take some time to accomplish it. Maybe you would have to beat them into submission or tie them up. Anyway, by the time, let's say, the first two have been set on fire, wouldn't the others have time to be alerted and take precautionary measures?

In this instance, is fire an equal tool to the gun? Or does the gun offer advantages in the method of killing?

Driving around town killing isn't done "in the heat of the moment". It takes a while. Depending on the city one lives in, it may even take quite a while.

I don't think anyone disputes that having a gun can facilitate killing, but the argument that "more people are shot in households with guns than households without guns" is just plain silly.

The person the you describe, who after a fight with his wife goes driving around town decimating her entire family is unhinged. He's crazy and crazy people won't be stopped by laws anymore than criminals will be.

What's worse is that we keep trying to structure our society around the lowest commom denominator: the stupid people, the crazy people and so on. We do this at the expense of those who are neither stupid nor crazy. And that is just wrong.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2012, 10:45:02 AM »
Driving around town killing isn't done "in the heat of the moment". It takes a while. Depending on the city one lives in, it may even take quite a while.

I don't think anyone disputes that having a gun can facilitate killing, but the argument that "more people are shot in households with guns than households without guns" is just plain silly.

The person the you describe, who after a fight with his wife goes driving around town decimating her entire family is unhinged. He's crazy and crazy people won't be stopped by laws anymore than criminals will be.

What's worse is that we keep trying to structure our society around the lowest commom denominator: the stupid people, the crazy people and so on. We do this at the expense of those who are neither stupid nor crazy. And that is just wrong.

I've heard this before too though I haven't seen any stats though it makes perfect sense that houses with guns are more likely to have a shooting incident (injury or death) than houses without guns

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
I've heard this before too though I haven't seen any stats though it makes perfect sense that houses with guns are more likely to have a shooting incident (injury or death) than houses without guns

Of course, but whether it makes sense or not is irrelevant: it's still a silly argument in the same way that the argument "someone who doesn't drive is less likely to get a ticket for speeding than someone who does."

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2012, 06:00:12 AM »
Free Republic
Browse · Search   Pings · Mail   News/Activism
Topics · Post Article
Skip to comments.

Suspect Shot Dead by Would-Be Robbery Victim: Cops [Thank You, 2nd Amendment]
NBC MIAMI ^ | 12/28/12 I | Edward R Colby
Posted on December 29, 2012, 8:47:56 AM EST by SoFloFreeper

A male suspect was shot and killed by the person he was trying to rob, Miami Gardens Police said.

The suspect was attempting to rob the victim and shot him at least one time, Miami Gardens Police Capt. Ralph Suarez said.

“The victim went to the ground but was able to retrieve his own weapon and shot the offender several times,” Suarez said. “The offender died at the scene,” outside the Rainbow shop at NW 19925 NW 2nd Ave., he said.

(Excerpt) Read more at m.nbcmiami.com ...

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2013, 04:41:37 PM »
so without guns this mad person wouldnt have been mad anymore?

Sure but he wouldnt shoot anyone.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2013, 04:52:16 PM »
^^^
so they will find other ways to kill ppl...

guns arent the problem, ppl are going to die one way or the other unless the root problem is addressed

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2013, 04:54:00 PM »
^^^
so they will find other ways to kill ppl...

guns arent the problem, ppl are going to die one way or the other unless the root problem is addressed

I guess we will all die from old age eventually so why not legalize murder?
We are all gonna die anyway, right?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2013, 05:29:40 PM »
yet another strawman color me shocked ::)

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2013, 05:52:42 PM »
I guess we will all die from old age eventually so why not legalize murder?
We are all gonna die anyway, right?

Such logic...