Author Topic: Is it the new Douchebag trend to not touch the chest in Bench Press?  (Read 18909 times)

Bam-bam

• Getbig V
Re: Is it the new Douchebag trend to not touch the chest in Bench Press?
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2012, 08:33:18 PM »
This video is 5 years old.

It is how you should bench press (except the last rep)

Even I do not do bench this way all the time but I always touch the chest!

not perfect form, you lifted your rear delts out of the bench during the end of each rep. Also, fully locking your elbows decreases the squeeze on the pecs.

Whiskey

• Getbig III
  • Team Billy Of Peace
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2012, 08:44:54 PM »
not perfect form, you lifted your rear delts out of the bench during the end of each rep. Also, fully locking your elbows decreases the squeeze on the pecs.

Come off it man, theres nothing wrong with these presses, the guy in this clip is more than likely a powerlifter, I doubt he cares much about "squeezing his pecs" more concerned about moving weight from chest to full lockout.

Bam-bam

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2012, 09:00:13 PM »
Come off it man, theres nothing wrong with these presses, the guy in this clip is more than likely a powerlifter, I doubt he cares much about "squeezing his pecs" more concerned about moving weight from chest to full lockout.

are we discussing form or are we not?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2012, 09:10:17 PM »
???

Never, EVER would I do and especially teach a bench press with a partial movement. Not only is it incorrect, but the way it's done in this video puts undue stress not only on the joint but the insertion (pec tear). As long as all stabilizers and joint integrity is strong (the very thing bodybuilders lack) and elbows have an internal rotation on the eccentric part of the lift, there is virtually little chance of joint, tendon or legament damage. I'm not saying it can't happen, just your chances of injury reduce substantially. The main goal for any strength and conditioning coach is to design a program that REDUCES injury. I GUARANTY, you will find an S&C coach at the college or pro level that will bench any other way (to the chest). It doesn't matter if it's for power, strength or hypertrophy, you ALWAYS go to the chest.

One of my athletes at the Blue/Gray HS combine at Cowboys training camps. He was 16 here @ 178.

LATS

• Getbig IV
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2012, 09:10:26 PM »
No need to touch the chest unless you aire benching in competition.. There is a difference between using a full range of movement  and the best range of motion based on what musclegroup you are trying to work.. If longer arms are your curse touching he chest can put unwanted stress on the shoulder joint.. If you powerlifting you don't have a choice.. If your bodybuilding may not be needed..

Whiskey

• Getbig III
  • Team Billy Of Peace
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2012, 09:27:53 PM »
are we discussing form or are we not?

Sure Bam Bam we are discussing form and his form is spot on in that clip above, like I said I believe that guy is a powerlifter so for him he will always touch chest and lock out, (full ROM), if a bodybuilder dosen t touch his chest thats fine with me BUT all these guys in the clips on page 1 are ego training nothing more, you can tell because they re struggling from REP 1

Neptune100

• Getbig III
« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2012, 09:33:47 PM »
Never, EVER would I do and especially teach a bench press with a partial movement. Not only is it incorrect, but the way it's done in this video puts undue stress not only on the joint but the insertion (pec tear). As long as all stabilizers and joint integrity is strong (the very thing bodybuilders lack) and elbows have an internal rotation on the eccentric part of the lift, there is virtually little chance of joint, tendon or legament damage. I'm not saying it can't happen, just your chances of injury reduce substantially. The main goal for any strength and conditioning coach is to design a program that REDUCES injury. I GUARANTY, you will find an S&C coach at the college or pro level that will bench any other way (to the chest). It doesn't matter if it's for power, strength or hypertrophy, you ALWAYS go to the chest.

One of my athletes at the Blue/Gray HS combine at Cowboys training camps. He was 16 here @ 178.

Looks like your athlete is really bouncing that bar of his chest hard(but I understand when you are going for speed and max reps this is what you have to do) and is raising his ass off of the bench on almost all the reps putting stress on his lower back/hyper extending.

There is no reason not to go to your chest, but to each their own and whatever works for you works for you.  My experience in competitive weightlifting/ bodybuilding/ whatever is that touching chest is the best for overall development and strength, and If I were teaching it I would teach to touch the chest.  Plus you look like a girl when you don't.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2012, 09:39:09 PM »
Looks like your athlete is really bouncing that bar of his chest hard(but I understand when you are going for speed and max reps this is what you have to do) and is raising his ass off of the bench on almost all the reps putting stress on his lower back/hyper extending.

There is no reason not to go to your chest, but to each their own and whatever works for you works for you.  My experience in competitive weightlifting/ bodybuilding/ whatever is that touching chest is the best for overall development and strength, and If I were teaching it I would teach to touch the chest.  Plus you look like a girl when you don't.

LOL..true.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2012, 09:42:53 PM »
ridiculous..

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #84 on: December 30, 2012, 01:13:31 AM »
Bouncing the bar off the chest is terrible. It´s not being in control on the downward negative phase, which as we know is very important. stopping just before the chest is being in controll of the weight simple as that. So what was the young guy in the video trying to do beating himself to death with the bar?? explosive reps look diffrent to me. looked uncontrolled to me. also locking out at such speed as in the Video is also bad. Think of his elbows.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2012, 01:19:30 AM »
ridiculous..

Coach he is more in controll of the weight than in YOUR video.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2012, 06:17:33 AM »
Bouncing the bar off the chest is terrible. It´s not being in control on the downward negative phase, which as we know is very important. stopping just before the chest is being in controll of the weight simple as that. So what was the young guy in the video trying to do beating himself to death with the bar?? explosive reps look diffrent to me. looked uncontrolled to me. also locking out at such speed as in the Video is also bad. Think of his elbows.

LOL....no, the video was fine. This is a hs football combine. This test is a test for upperbody strength and explosiveness. The same video that was shot by an official there also agreed the lift good. Good enough for canton for their combine at the HOF where he placed 4th out of 37 RB's as well as top ten athlete out of 239 for the entire combine. Anyway, under no circumstance should anyone nit touch the chest on a bench press. Really shows a lack of training knowledge.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • significantly cheaper and federally legal
« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2012, 06:21:53 AM »
If longer arms are your curse touching he chest can put unwanted stress on the shoulder joint.

Post proof of this.

Haha "Donny" is having a meltdown sending me unsolicited PMs :D

you really are a fucking tool son.

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2012, 06:24:52 AM »
Coach do you agree that what is considered components of "classic bodybuilding training", ie. split, half squats, smith machine squats, "deadlift" without stopping on the floor or lack of squats and deads whatsoever and complete neglection of biomechanics, going for "muscle feel" produces weak, extremely prone to injury muscle-bound monsters we see today?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2012, 06:33:23 AM »
Post proof of this.

Haha "Donny" is having a meltdown sending me unsolicited PMs :D

BUT you are a Tool son. Telling us all to prove everything but you can´t prove people are wrong.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2012, 06:38:37 AM »
BUT you are a Tool son. Telling us all to prove everything but you can´t prove people are wrong.
The onus is on you.  Proving a negative is a senseless task of futility.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #91 on: December 30, 2012, 06:43:02 AM »
 swallowed your Dictionary ???

VladimirVersic

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
« Reply #92 on: December 30, 2012, 06:46:10 AM »
Good posting by Ursus and Hulkotron in this thread.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • significantly cheaper and federally legal
« Reply #93 on: December 30, 2012, 07:27:41 AM »

Yes it's similar to the approach that the "The Earth is 5000 years old" folks try to use.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #94 on: December 30, 2012, 07:31:49 AM »
Good posting by Ursus and Hulkotron in this thread.
Hulkotron ? a matter of opinion  ::) don´t see any posts with any substance.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #95 on: December 30, 2012, 07:38:35 AM »
Quality posts from a young man with knowledge ::)
reply 56: "What a bunch of Bullsit"
reply 59 : "I don't give a Fuck"

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #96 on: December 30, 2012, 07:45:20 AM »
Not necesseraly. Sometimes staying 2-3 inches away from the chest helps big time keeping constant tension on the chest.

Of course it depends on your proportions, arm to torso length etc., but for a lotta guys going all the way down to your chest means shoulders and lats are taking over and you lose the tension from your chest.

Give it a try. On the smith machine I always stop a few inches short of the chest, feel working my pecs a 100 times better than going all the way down.
Agree with the above, except of course about using the pussy smith machine  ;D ... jusk fucken with you affeman.

Touching the chest is not wise at all, if you want to keep constant tension on your chest stay 2 inches above chest, affeman is right. Oh btw I get more reps if I touch my chest, it is easier.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #97 on: December 30, 2012, 07:51:15 AM »

Both videos, horrible, horrible, wow, coach serious? First of all the second video the guy is slamming the weight right into his sternum, and if he throws it up that fast and locks out he can very well bust his elbows, very dangerous, this guy is an injury waiting to happen.

As for the other guy in the first video, also horrible. Keep your feet flat on the floor, having your feet in tippy toe position can result in you pulling your calf muscle or a hamstring, very bad idea, wow.

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
« Reply #98 on: December 30, 2012, 07:52:54 AM »
These guys in coach's video have ZERO arch in the back, position is very unstable, shoulder blades aint together. Terrible bench press form.

Ursus posted best video so far.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #99 on: December 30, 2012, 07:58:57 AM »
Both videos, horrible, horrible, wow, coach serious? First of all the second video the guy is slamming the weight right into his sternum, and if he throws it up that fast and locks out he can very well bust his elbows, very dangerous, this guy is an injury waiting to happen.

As for the other guy in the first video, also horrible. Keep your feet flat on the floor, having your feet in tippy toe position can result in you pulling your calf muscle or a hamstring, very bad idea, wow.

lol...see reply #88. You actually think they train like that all the time? There is a purpose.