Author Topic: Giant sets  (Read 8302 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Giant sets
« on: December 31, 2012, 04:04:02 PM »
Anyone ever do giant sets when bodybuilding? I remember back in the day watching a guy do a couple of series giant sets for thighs. He did leg extensions, leg press, squats and leg curls. He just when like a machine from one exercise to another. I think he did 4 giant sets. He wasn't using massive weights and no one could training like this. I tried it once and thought I was going to die racing through the sets. He did this for almost every body part. He was unbelievably ripped.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: Giant sets
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 04:17:44 PM »
love tri-sets or supersets but Giant sets i have never really went into deeply. I know that the most extreme giant set is 6 exercises but you can do this for antagonistic muscles too.. such as
Bench press
pull downs/chins
Incline Flyes
seated pulley rows
cable pullovers
stiff-arm pulldowns

I train more superset style and to train with 4-6 exercises for a single muscle group is very advanced indeed. I prefer Antagonistic training.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 04:20:05 PM »
Anyone ever do giant sets when bodybuilding? I remember back in the day watching a guy do a couple of series giant sets for thighs. He did leg extensions, leg press, squats and leg curls. He just when like a machine from one exercise to another. I think he did 4 giant sets. He wasn't using massive weights and no one could training like this. I tried it once and thought I was going to die racing through the sets. He did this for almost every body part. He was unbelievably ripped.
yes and Giant sets are done with no pause between exercises   :o

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 08:36:13 AM »
The original concept of Giant Sets was to focus on one muscle group. Normally 6 sets (as noted by Donny) was the standard, but a few have done more sets than that. Starting with the heavier compound movement down to a extension, or lighter, style exercise. Reps were between the BB'ing range of 8-10, depending on the person. Though 5-7 could be an alternate choice. Two such cycles, with roughtly 3 minites rest beween cycles. Some have done higher cycles, some only one cycle.

Some place SS's under the label of Giant Sets,which can be misleading. The main purpose was not to alternate one opposing muscle area with the opposite, as when doing SS's. Though good results have been gotten by that method. ANd that could be called a Giant set, in a way.

Seen many guy's get good results by doing Quad sets. That's 4 exercises for one individual muscle group. Works very well indeed for advance arm and delt workouts.

Something like this for arm focus.

1)  BB curl  heavy
2)  DB Incline curl  (very effective exercise)
3)  Preacher curl
4)  DB one arm (alternate) concentration curl  (do a rep for the right arm, switch to the left arm, back to the right arm for another rep, etc, etc, etc..)

No rest between exercises. 8-10 reps. Usually two such arm cycles. 2 to 3 minutes rest between cycles. Excellent pump.

Good Luck.

Quad sets also work well with delts
F

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 01:16:50 PM »
Doing four bicep exercises one right after another seems like over kill.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 01:35:48 PM »
Yes and a giant Set could also be 6 exercises but better to work antagonistic muscles...it's also a variation  of giant sets...great pump....back/chest ....bicep/triceps ....quads/hamstrings

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 02:07:41 PM »
The variation I wrote about is very well explained in a weider book I have "ultimate bodybuilding " ISBN 0-8092-4715-1  on page 134. So no confusion with supersets.you can giant set with a single muscle group or antagonistic.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 04:49:00 PM »
Old Timer: Quad sets are meant as a short term plan for most bb'ers. The extra high intensity is the main goal of this system. So, in a way, that could be called overkill. Taking a working muscle out of it's comfort zone, of the same old, same old, every workout into another advance level. Perhaps 4 to 6 weeks (the first week, one of a breaking in period for the CNS), based on twice a week, for some. But than again, lifting any kind of weight, would be considered overkill by the average non lifting person.

When approaching a workout with more serious intent,  Quad sets  (or other like intense efforts) can become the boost to mass, that most crave. One cycle, of 4 bicep exercise, should take 60 seconds (if that), depending on zero rest between exercises. And the body's ability adjust to this method at first. SS'ing with the triceps is another method, but a bit more advanced, when using Quad sets.  

Quad sets can be used very well on all muscle groups. Arms and delts seem to always improve quite well. Though this type training is not always for eveyone. Like every thing else in training, nothing may work for all people. Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 12:41:58 AM »
A few clarifications:

Superset:combination of two movements with no rest between exercises and a normal rest interval between supersets(used with one muscle group or antagonistic/ Biceps/triceps

Trisets:a series of three movements for the same bodypart ,with no rest between movements and a normal rest interval between trisets.(Trisets are used mainly for muscles with three segment such as Deltoids, Posterior head,anterior head, medial head.)

Giant sets:series of 4-6 done with little or no rest between movements and a rest interval of 3-4 minutes between giant sets. you can perform giant sets for either two antagonistic muscle groups or a single body part.

Giant sets are used for bringing up a lagging Bodypart(trisets too) using 2-3 giant sets for a weaker muscle group and will give it a growth boost in a short period of time. An example was Bodybuilder John Hnatyschak (remember him?) he used Giant sets for his back once a week and his other back training sessions with straight sets.. so doing this high intensity Giant set ONCE a week worked for him. Trisets and Giant sets will shock any weak muscle group into growth!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 08:56:09 AM »
Old Timer: Quad sets are meant as a short term plan for most bb'ers. The extra high intensity is the main goal of this system. So, in a way, that could be called overkill. Taking a working muscle out of it's comfort zone, of the same old, same old, every workout into another advance level. Perhaps 4 to 6 weeks (the first week, one of a breaking in period for the CNS), based on twice a week, for some. But than again, lifting any kind of weight, would be considered overkill by the average non lifting person.

When approaching a workout with more serious intent,  Quad sets  (or other like intense efforts) can become the boost to mass, that most crave. One cycle, of 4 bicep exercise, should take 60 seconds (if that), depending on zero rest between exercises. And the body's ability adjust to this method at first. SS'ing with the triceps is another method, but a bit more advanced, when using Quad sets.  

Quad sets can be used very well on all muscle groups. Arms and delts seem to always improve quite well. Though this type training is not always for eveyone. Like every thing else in training, nothing may work for all people. Good Luck.

Four sets back to back is high intensity for biceps? Your posts are always pompous and border on the insulting when you talk down to others. I have been working out for 40 years. Please don't tell me how you have two personal training internet certificates that you spent two weeks earning and how you train nit wits that you count reps for. You don't realize it but you sound like the skinny kid in the gym that has pointers for everyone within ear shot.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 09:31:28 AM »
Four sets back to back is high intensity for biceps? Your posts are always pompous and border on the insulting when you talk down to others. I have been working out for 40 years. Please don't tell me how you have two personal training internet certificates that you spent two weeks earning and how you train nit wits that you count reps for. You don't realize it but you sound like the skinny kid in the gym that has pointers for everyone within ear shot.
agree 100%

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 01:15:04 PM »
Good to see you guy's agree with one another. 40 years, and still trying, is very impressive for everyone here, I' m sure. Actually I'm connected, and work within, a university. As a personal favor, I help with the training of older  (48-65+) men and a few women in upper years..

Sorry that the Quad thing is so unsetting to you and Donny. It's been around for longer than The Old Timer has been training. Sorry we don't see eye to eye. Good Luck and have a healthy and rewarding New Year.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 05:17:45 AM »
Good to see you guy's agree with one another. 40 years, and still trying, is very impressive for everyone here, I' m sure. Actually I'm connected, and work within, a university. As a personal favor, I help with the training of older  (48-65+) men and a few women in upper years..

Sorry that the Quad thing is so unsetting to you and Donny. It's been around for longer than The Old Timer has been training. Sorry we don't see eye to eye. Good Luck and have a healthy and rewarding New Year.
actually i know oldtimer1 from another forum and he is a very knowledgeable man. comments like "40 years and still trying" and you work as a "guest" in a Uni(who gives a fuck) are BS. Yes we know your senior training "heavy Duty" negative one arm chins to improve GOLF..what a load of Horse shit. Yes i agree with oldtimer.. you are arrogant and your last comments to me in another thread were,i should be in an asylum ::) say it to my face. also seen your posts in other forums spouting the same shit and long drawn rambling posts.

PS. Side Note:  you also said I'm "pumpster" ?? who the fuck is he?? never knew him.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 08:20:26 AM »
Donny: Thank you for your interest and concern about me.

You do remind me of Pumpster, reflecting that I never said you were actually him. With regards to saying it to your face......you may need a box to stand on. (We have training boxes here at the gym(s)). Actually I don't work as a guest at a university, I work at and through a university. And for a good number of years.

Let Old Timer express his views, I don't care, which ever way he wants. Agree, or disagree, not a major matter. This is, after all, only the internet. A virtual soap box for a few emotional and troubled people to display a fantasy about themselves and others.. Truth can be a rare quality on a site like GB.

Any concept about training will have equally shared Pro's and Con's. Even among sport medicine and trainers. Knees, joints, stress, etc. One groups research and study can be the direct opposite of another groups research and study. Usually supported by money grants, the mothers milk of colleges these days.

Sorry your not familar with negative holds and releases, where chins are concerned. Feel free to ramble through any of my many past post, to see the direction of thoughts and views I may have.

Have a wonderful day and Good Luck.

Side Bar: Still remind me of Pumpster. You may be protesting a bit too much, I believe.  
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 09:45:03 AM »
Donny: Thank you for your interest and concern about me.

You do remind me of Pumpster, reflecting that I never said you were actually him. With regards to saying it to your face......you may need a box to stand on. (We have training boxes here at the gym(s)). Actually I don't work as a guest at a university, I work at and through a university. And for a good number of years.

Let Old Timer express his views, I don't care, which ever way he wants. Agree, or disagree, not a major matter. This is, after all, only the internet. A virtual soap box for a few emotional and troubled people to display a fantasy about themselves and others.. Truth can be a rare quality on a site like GB.

Any concept about training will have equally shared Pro's and Con's. Even among sport medicine and trainers. Knees, joints, stress, etc. One groups research and study can be the direct opposite of another groups research and study. Usually supported by money grants, the mothers milk of colleges these days.

Sorry your not familar with negative holds and releases, where chins are concerned. Feel free to ramble through any of my many past post, to see the direction of thoughts and views I may have.

Have a wonderful day and Good Luck.

Side Bar: Still remind me of Pumpster. You may be protesting a bit too much, I believe.  
actually i was having a laugh at your posts and another poster here brought it to my attention. so i guess "pumpster" liked you as well. Did he tell you the truth too? If i was you..just friendly advice,learn some up to date training methods. correct about one thing you have your own soap box..as you wrote yourself,"a virtual soap box for emotional and troubled people"..you are one of them.

side bar: you are a very boring man.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 06:51:44 AM »
JPM101 HAS ALWAYS BEEN A LITTLE TOO PREACHY.......

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 07:07:30 AM »
JPM101 HAS ALWAYS BEEN A LITTLE TOO PREACHY.......
THIS...

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 08:21:54 AM »
Why all the jpm hate ??? He mearly expresses his opinion like the rest of you guys. If you don't like what he's saying or disagree with it, fine, but debate it civilly. This isn't the g&o.

Everyone has their own styles, thoughts, experiences and beliefs when it comes to training. We're on this board to share them and learn from others experiences.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 08:32:46 AM »
Preachy, meaning "my way or the highway" or everyone else is wrong and I am totally right?

Always an option to let people do whatever they wish, in regards to training is a strong personal view of mine.  Which I have repeated over and over again on this site. Whatever I put out as comments from personal training experiences (of myself and  others....training in many gyms over the past and meeting many characters in the BB'ing world) or different slants on working out will not be followed by most anyway. They will still do what they have been doing training wise, no matter what. So that is not an overwhelming concern to me, just let people train the way they might think best for them. Not preachy, as I underestand the word. Good Luck.

Donny: thanks for the personal message. Glad we understand each other much better than before. Hope things improve for you.  Best of health and good fortune.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 08:34:33 AM »
Preachy, meaning "my way or the highway" or everyone else is wrong and I am totally right?

Always an option to let people do whatever they wish, in regards to training is a strong personal view of mine.  Which I have repeated over and over again on this site. Whatever I put out as comments from personal training experiences (of myself and  others....training in many gyms over the past and meeting many characters in the BB'ing world) or different slants on working out will not be followed by most anyway. They will still do what they have been doing training wise, no matter what. So that is not an overwhelming concern to me, just let people train the way they might think best for them. Not preachy, as I underestand the word. Good Luck.

Donny: thanks for the personal message. Glad we understand each other much better than before. Hope things improve for you.  Best of health and good fortune.
mate you are an arrogant prick.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 09:20:58 AM »
All you old people are hardheaded and opinionated. Relax.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 10:08:32 AM »

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 11:13:49 AM »
 ;D you Kunt..

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 11:51:10 AM »
;D you Kunt..

Burgess Meredith's line that followed was hilarious: "Hey you, drop...that...fish. Dammit, don't make me have to separate you two, AGAIN!"

That was a great movie. It's a shame that most of the actors are all gone now: Walter Matthau, Ossie Davis, Jack Lemmon, Burgess Meredith...all classic, REAL actors. They don't make them like that anymore.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 12:17:39 PM »
No.....with all his preachy posts and closing out with "GOOD LUCK"......I tired of the bloke many moons ago.