Author Topic: anyone have any experience with the super squats program?  (Read 6139 times)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
anyone have any experience with the super squats program?
« on: January 03, 2013, 03:10:08 PM »
here's a link to the program via pdf

http://archive.org/stream/SuperSquats/Superprisedaniya#page/n0/mode/1up

it looks damn solid to me, but i still got this goddamn fear in my head that i'll lose all my aesthetics if i follow it and really focus on loading up on the full squats

a wide-hipped pear body is something that i most surely don't want to be :-X

anyways, just curious if any of you dudes here have followed it and what kind of results that you got from it

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
Re: anyone have any experience with the super squats program?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 05:00:39 PM »
Keep feet close about 10 inches apart and stand on 1 inch board, head up it will not make your ass big.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 07:54:47 AM »
here's a link to the program via pdf

http://archive.org/stream/SuperSquats/Superprisedaniya#page/n0/mode/1up

it looks damn solid to me, but i still got this goddamn fear in my head that i'll lose all my aesthetics if i follow it and really focus on loading up on the full squats

a wide-hipped pear body is something that i most surely don't want to be :-X

anyways, just curious if any of you dudes here have followed it and what kind of results that you got from it
a good read. I donīt think you will get wide hipped pear body...see what happens a nice experiment ;D

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 09:49:10 AM »
If you were born with  natural wide hips ( & waist) and narrow shoulder , than you might be considered pear shape depending on the extreme of each.  If born with narrow hips ( & waist) and broad shoulders, that that, also, is the card you were dealt with at birth. A card most all people would want. A more classic build.

Squatting should not show very mucnoticeablele increase in wider hips but will affect the glute's. Raising the heels, as suggested by Mr. Nobody, (2" usually) will have a more focused affect on the front quads and less on the glute's and lower back. Would suggest a natural foot spacing, the one you feel more comfort with.

The Super Squat programexcellenteeputtin gting muscle mass on many, many men over the years. Eenlargingging the rib box it's self. Also increastaminaamendurance ncer + strength) to a much greater degree. Seems to set up the metabolism for fat burning and muscle building  (depending on the diet followed).

At 16 years old I made  gains using the 20 rep system. A little above a 20lb jump in bwt in a couple of month (being a somewhat easy gainer, myself). A lot of our football players, high school/college age, who have to gain muscle mass (bwt) in a relative short period of time use this style program. 10 to 12lbs  of pure muscle gains are not uncommon. I've mentioned this 20 rep squat system many times before on GB.

No doubt about it, it's a ball buster at the beginning of the training. After awhile, the body will become adjusted to the demands made of it and adapt accordingly. Good Luck.
F

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 09:54:06 AM »
If you were born with  natural wide hips ( & waist) and narrow shoulder , than you might be considered pear shape depending on the extreme of each.  If born with narrow hips ( & waist) and broad shoulders, that that, also, is the card you were dealt with at birth. A card most all people would want. A more classic build.

Squatting should not show very mucnoticeablele increase in wider hips but will affect the glute's. Raising the heels, as suggested by Mr. Nobody, (2" usually) will have a more focused affect on the front quads and less on the glute's and lower back. Would suggest a natural foot spacing, the one you feel more comfort with.

The Super Squat programexcellenteeputtin gting muscle mass on many, many men over the years. Eenlargingging the rib box it's self. Also increastaminaamendurance ncer + strength) to a much greater degree. Seems to set up the metabolism for fat burning and muscle building  (depending on the diet followed).

At 16 years old I made  gains using the 20 rep system. A little above a 20lb jump in bwt in a couple of month (being a somewhat easy gainer, myself). A lot of our football players, high school/college age, who have to gain muscle mass (bwt) in a relative short period of time use this style program. 10 to 12lbs  of pure muscle gains are not uncommon. I've mentioned this 20 rep squat system many times before on GB.

No doubt about it, it's a ball buster at the beginning of the training. After awhile, the body will become adjusted to the demands made of it and adapt accordingly. Good Luck.
Excellent post.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 10:24:38 AM »
I never followed the super squats program but in late teens early 20s always squatted for twenty reps once a week. Worked great and put on around 30lbs of bodyweight in the first year.
can be easy to burn out on so dont do the typical of taking your 10 rep weight and forcing out 20.
Better to start with a weight you could do 25 to 30 reps at a push and build from there.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 10:55:41 AM »
Bass Generator is so right.

Always begin with a very light weight. Have at least a one week (3 squat workout days) breaking in period. This would apply to any new training protocol, the first week is very important. Than a 4 to 6 week plan, for most men.  The breathing portion is something that a lot of guy's will have trouble with. Three very deep breaths before each rep. As you near 12 to 13 reps you many be taking 6 to 8 breaths (or even more)  because of the demand on the body with this new system. And you will be breathing like a steam engine.

This squatting method is somewhat akin to a Rest-Pause system. Taking the extra time (Rest-Pause) between reps  for the heavy breathing part of this system. Good Luck.
F

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 10:58:48 AM »
Bass Generator is so right.

Always begin with a very light weight. Have at least a one week (3 squat workout days) breaking in period. This would apply to any new training protocol, the first week is very important. Than a 4 to 6 week plan, for most men.  The breathing portion is something that a lot of guy's will have trouble with. Three very deep breaths before each rep. As you near 12 to 13 reps you many be taking 6 to 8 breaths (or even more)  because of the demand on the body with this new system. And you will be breathing like a steam engine.

This squatting method is somewhat akin to a Rest-Pause system. Taking the extra time (Rest-Pause) between reps  for the heavy breathing part of this system. Good Luck.

can it be done twice a week?

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 11:05:32 AM »
Yes if you don't have a stressful job and standing all day.

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 11:06:13 AM »
If this similar to the 20rep system (several sets of 20 rep each done fairly quickly or variations of same) then it certainly is a muscle, stamina and strength developer. Hitting the 20th rep at 1 1/2 body weight is fantastic thought the paypack over the following days is a bummer
c

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 11:18:36 AM »
Squatting with raised heels places great shear and compression on both the cartilage and ligaments of the knee which can cause over time serious damage to the knee joint. There is no CONCLUSIVE PROOF that you can stretch the rib cage by stretching and lengthening the cartilage that attach your ribs to your sternum. Your cartilage is soft and pliable in your growth years but later harden and is less easily stretched to any length. so while you MIGHT see some improvement i do not think it will be significant.

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 12:11:11 PM »
Squatting with raised heels places great shear and compression on both the cartilage and ligaments of the knee which can cause over time serious damage to the knee joint. There is no CONCLUSIVE PROOF that you can stretch the rib cage by stretching and lengthening the cartilage that attach your ribs to your sternum. Your cartilage is soft and pliable in your growth years but later harden and is less easily stretched to any length. so while you MIGHT see some improvement i do not think it will be significant.

raised heels over time are torture for the body and best left to women in stiletoes who want to have pelvic trust. The body is thrown out of its line of axis, leaverage forces are increased and the whole bodys posture is under pressure
c

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 12:23:28 PM »
i don't think that elevated heels are needed, but i do believe that keeping the feet closer together puts greater focus and stress upon the quads

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 12:32:26 PM »
i don't think that eld heels are needed, but i do believe that keeping the feet closer together puts greater focus and stress upon the quads
yes l agree

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 12:42:26 PM »
squats are good

but at one point they will destroy you

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 06:51:34 PM »
I'm sure there are many, but I'm not aware of any deep study as to the affect of raised heels for BB'ing squats and the damage they may, or may not, do to the structure of the knees.

I am aware of the biomechanical analysis of front squats (with Olympic lifting shoes) that there is less stress on the knee region than with flat footed squats.  And overall easier on the knee's. Poloquin (top strength coach) has, among others, presented this in some articles on different forms of squatting. Raised heels (either with front squats or regular squats) require the quads to work harder, not the knees. Also the importane of a strong and balance hamstrings to assist in any form of squatting. The heel drive will also become more pronounced with raised heels and will produce less stress on the lower back.

If you have a potential knee problem, bad knee or a sense of injury happening,than  don't raise the heels (I most always tend to heavy squat barefooted, which give a better feel for the exercise and helps surfing very well). Just that some guy's have trouble with balance and leaning too far forward when squatting. And again, the  lower back problems with this exercise for some.

The mean average of a man is between 22 to 24 before the cartilage between the rib bones loses it's plactic state and becomes harden. If you are younger than that average, the chances greatly increase that the rib box will expand to a larger size. Through the 20 rep squat and the extreme breathing that it demands. The proof is that perhaps thousand of men have increase ther chest size from 2 to 3 inches, over the years, with this type of progam. One only has to experience such training to understand the results obtained. If you have a chest size of 44 (guessing that would be the average for a GB'er) than wouldn't a 46 to 47 chest size be that more impressive?  After a set of killer 20 squats, a light straight arm pullover is performed. Main purpose, for the stretch to the rib box/chest. Good Luck.

Side bar:  The Olympic lifting shoe is raise about 1" or an little more, depending on who ever makes it (and the socks or pads one may add). A 2" board (2X4) is actually 1 & 5/8's to 1 & 3/4's, given the age and condition of the wood. A few cross training shoes have a raised heel.
F

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 07:15:08 PM »
. Raised heels (either with front squats or regular squats) require the quads to work harder, not the knees. Also the importane of a strong and balance hamstrings to assist in any form of squatting. The heel drive will also become more pronounced with raised heels and will produce less stress on the lower back.

interesting , thanks for that, just a few points / queries

The Knee is a joint complex unlike any other joint in the body - while mainly a single plane hinged joint it does quiet a lot of lateral sway control / stability as any body who ever broke their knee or had a replacement will testify as their stabiltiy is enormously reduced. watch a long boned novice squat with excessive weight and you can see the sway (not just because of hips or unequal power / loft speed in the assent) 
As for the heel it is probable that most people put too much of their weight to the front of the foot where as it  should be equally distributed between heel and front pads. The foot is a three point arch: heel to toe  and big to little toe. Of course one may have to adopt changes when squatting heavy weights but frequently we carry normal (though not best) posture to these heavy lifts only for the weight to magnify existing defects
c

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 11:45:55 PM »
i've had 2 knee surgeries as the result of kneecap dislocation, which came about from playing basketball, so my knees are genetically unstable

in fact, after my second surgery my doc told me to give up basketball and also not to participate in sports which require lots of lateral movement, like tennis or downhill skiing

my squat form with a barbell literally sucks ass, but with dumbbells it becomes greatly improved ???

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 01:27:20 AM »

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 02:05:08 AM »
posted before in another thread but this comes up very often.
http://www.exrx.net/Kinesiology/Squats.html

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2013, 02:15:58 AM »
The conclusion of all this would be to improve your Ankle flexibility with exercises on the link. I never elevate my heels in squats. I did when i first started because all the Muscle comics showed it but later i felt it in my knees. Ankle flexibility is key. I also always squat barefoot. Intresting to note the point about sissy squats and barbell hacks and echos what i have always believed that they put stress on the knees.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2013, 09:07:21 AM »
Donny: Yes, I agree. The ankle range of flex is important. That's why squatting styles should be interchangeable, when training. Barefooted is a better way to feel/experience squating. For me, anyway.

Some newer trainee's have a hard time keeping their heels on the floor when  first learning to squat. It's something that is overcome after awhile. The stiff ankle problem. Doing a few light sets of calf raises (or targeted calf stretches, etc), going for a full ROM, right before doing squats, can do much to improve the ankle flex and squat exercise. Even front toe raises (bring the toes backtowardds the body..usually lying or sitting) can work well.

BB Hacks (one of my favorite exercises) and Sissy Squats should not cause undo stress on the knee area  unless they are being performed totally wrong. Many people find that the simple leg extension can  cause seious damage to the knee area. Though it is also a major rehab movement for the knee. It all depends on how the exercise is done and the hidden potential of a weaker knee structure.  Good luck.
F