Author Topic: Need some advice for a new routine  (Read 3381 times)

lightweight83

• Getbig IV
Need some advice for a new routine
« on: January 05, 2013, 08:20:55 AM »
I'm looking to switch things up for the new year and finally do an actual routine.  For the past 1.5 years I've been doing the same type of routine, that pretty much looks like this:

Monday - Chest
Tuesday - Back, Abs
Wednesday - Legs
Thursday - Off
Friday - Arms, Abs
Saturday - Shoulders, Traps
Sunday - Off

I do 4-6 different exercises per day, and 3 sets each exercise.  Usually 15 reps first set, then 12, then 10.  

I'm looking to finally switch this up and do an actual proven routine.  I'm looking for advice from bodybuilders (or at least someone in better shape than me, lol).  I'm currently not taking any supplements at all, as I stopped feeling anything from the preworkout I was taking, and started thinking it was a waste of money.  I do have a cup of coffee 20 minutes before doing to the gym though.

My diet is pretty alright I guess, here is an example of a normal day:

Meal 1  8:30am:
1/2 cup Oatmeal  with 1 tablespoon of natural peanut butter
1 scoop protein with 12 ounces of skim milk
16oz coffee with flavored creamer

Meal 2 12:00:
Taco Salad or Chicken Parm or Spaghetti with Meatballs (you get the idea)  

Meal 3  3:30pm:
Pretty much another meal very similar to Meal 2

Meal 4 7:30pm:
95% of the time it's either Subway or Jrecks with a bag of sunchips and a serving of natural almonds

Meal 5 10:00pm:
1 scoop protein with water

I'd like to do whatever I can to get in as good of shape as possible, and would like to do a bb competition if I ever got to that point.    I'm currently 29 years old, 5'11 and 192-195 lbs.  My friends think I'm in really good shape, as do the guys in the gym, but I want to be bigger, so that I look big in clothes and not just the gym.  What do you guys think?  I know I'm asking for a lot of help, but I figured this would be a good place to start.
Here's the most recent pic I have.  It's from a couple months ago, but I look exactly the same right now.
My skin is pretty thick, so I'm ready for any abuse you guys can come up with, LOL!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: Need some advice for a new routine
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 11:39:18 AM »
you are lean and look healthy...

2 options to look bigger in clothes:

1. Gain 30lbs of fat (your abs will be gone but you will be more impressive)
   2. Start using steroids

I would stick with option 3. do what you've been doing.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 12:13:13 PM »
Agree with wooo.. but if you want to compete then there are some pros on here who can give you the correct advice on the whole package like nutrition,training,posing.

lightweight83

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 01:39:37 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  I was looking at some of the routines at muscleandstrength.com, and this one in particular looked decent:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/himl-4-maximum-muscle-building-workout-system.html

I've never done anything like that before, where one week you do a certain rep range, and then the next week you do something very different.  Not sure if it will actually do anything, but I'm willing to give it a try if you guys think it looks alright. 

Wooo,

I'd like to try it someday, just for the experience.  Not sure if I'd ever actually want to step on stage, but I'd like to train/diet like I was planning for a show, just to see how I'd look.  I think I'd come in around 170-175  (twink status I know, LOL!).  I was 195 in that pic, and I don't think I have more than 25lbs to lose.  Who would I contact to get this information? 

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 02:18:14 PM »
for opinions on the workout you are in the right place, looks interesting to me

there are several regular competitors who could help you lurking around

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 03:08:12 PM »
good build ,,another 10 lbs lean muscle u will look damn good,,how are the legs?chest could use some thickness could be the pose ,,abs are good ,condition is very good either u build slowly and stay lean or fatten up and lose the cover boy look,,,,good luck,,train hard it's the main step..

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 01:56:50 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  I was looking at some of the routines at muscleandstrength.com, and this one in particular looked decent:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/himl-4-maximum-muscle-building-workout-system.html

I've never done anything like that before, where one week you do a certain rep range, and then the next week you do something very different.  Not sure if it will actually do anything, but I'm willing to give it a try if you guys think it looks alright. 

Wooo,

I'd like to try it someday, just for the experience.  Not sure if I'd ever actually want to step on stage, but I'd like to train/diet like I was planning for a show, just to see how I'd look.  I think I'd come in around 170-175  (twink status I know, LOL!).  I was 195 in that pic, and I don't think I have more than 25lbs to lose.  Who would I contact to get this information? 
yes looks not a bad workout..they do have some good material over on that site. A four day split works good too and you have that extra day off.

lightweight83

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 05:50:57 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  I'm gonna try the workout from muscle and strength that I posted, unless one of you guys has a better one for me?

good build ,,another 10 lbs lean muscle u will look damn good,,how are the legs?chest could use some thickness could be the pose ,,abs are good ,condition is very good either u build slowly and stay lean or fatten up and lose the cover boy look,,,,good luck,,train hard it's the main step..

Thanks!  My legs are pretty good.  They aren't blown up like a bodybuilder, but they are pretty solid for a natty.  I've always had good calfs from Basketball, and my upper legs are decent too. 
My chest is the body part that needs the most work.  It's not the pose that makes it look that way (I wish it was!  lol)  It will not grow no matter what I do! It's not like I have the chest of a prepubescent boy, but it doesn't have the thickness that I see a lot of guys have in the gym.  Granted they are usually kinda bloofy, and no where near my condition level, but I still wish my chest stood out in clothes. 

I started training chest twice a week (on Monday by itself, and 2 sets on Friday with arms), to see if that would help any, and it didn't!  lol 

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 06:04:01 AM »
well what is your chest workout at the moment? really depends because some people train well with a high volume chest workout and others go more for a short heavy workout with intensity principles to really bomb the muscle group. One way i found always really hit my chest was to use Pyramid training. working up in weight set per set and then back down again..in your normal chest workout pick one exercise and do this. one week flat press and next workout incline..both together in one workout would be too much. of course there are many other training principles..my favourit is supersets ;)

lightweight83

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 08:07:34 AM »
well what is your chest workout at the moment? really depends because some people train well with a high volume chest workout and others go more for a short heavy workout with intensity principles to really bomb the muscle group. One way i found always really hit my chest was to use Pyramid training. working up in weight set per set and then back down again..in your normal chest workout pick one exercise and do this. one week flat press and next workout incline..both together in one workout would be too much. of course there are many other training principles..my favourit is supersets ;)

On Monday I do the following routine:

Flat Bench 135x15, 185x15, 195x10 205x8
Incline Dumbbell 75x15, 80x12, 85x8
Hammer Strength Bench 275x12, 315x10, 315x10
Dumbbell Flys 40x15, 45x12, 45x10

That's pretty much what I do most of the time.  I've never been very strong (in general) and especially in pressing movements. 

I've never done the pyramiding style of training, but I'll try that out. 

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 08:44:24 AM »
 Bro great progress. Actually pro 180-185 in true contest shape on a natural stage can be very impressive. Have you ever trained with a lower rep range? Between 4-10 could definatly help with chest thickness. Also incline flyes seem to add some upper chest thickness that gives a more rounded look and definatly form the side.  I've been training on a four day spilt for years. I followed the five day for first five years of training and switched to add extra rest. Both have advantages. Let us know how that spilt works. I've never switched up that frequent seems like it would be hard to gauge progress.

lightweight83

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 09:43:35 AM »
Bro great progress. Actually pro 180-185 in true contest shape on a natural stage can be very impressive. Have you ever trained with a lower rep range? Between 4-10 could definatly help with chest thickness. Also incline flyes seem to add some upper chest thickness that gives a more rounded look and definatly form the side.  I've been training on a four day spilt for years. I followed the five day for first five years of training and switched to add extra rest. Both have advantages. Let us know how that spilt works. I've never switched up that frequent seems like it would be hard to gauge progress.

Thanks!  I've never really done low reps before, as I don't feel it as much while I'm working out.  I'm going to be giving it a try on this new routine though, so we'll see how it goes.
I do incline flyes every other week. 
Yeah, the new routine is pretty strange, since the rep ranges are all over the place from week to week.  I'm gonna write down the weight and reps I'm able to do each week and see if I make any progress from month to month. 
Even though I feel like I look better now than in the past, I haven't gotten any stronger at all!  I've been stuck at the same strength levels for what feels like forever! lol

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 09:50:23 AM »
well you seem very keen to improve and that is important too..your motivated.

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 02:09:19 PM »
Good luck man! I just looked at your chest routine. You only jump in ten pound increments on your working sets. I bet you could easily do something like this.
135-10 185-10 205-8 225-6
70-10 80-8 90-6 

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 03:45:13 PM »
The 5,4,3,2,1 challenge is calling your name, join the darkside.

lightweight83

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »

HAH!  I saw your other post in your thread.  I'll max out on all my lifts this week, and see how far away I am from making your challenge.  Then I'll do the new routine that I posted and I'll max out again in a few months to see if I made my progress.
I'm guessing right now I can do the following:
Dead: 450
Squat: 365
Bench: 285
Clean and Press: 185
Pullup with 45: at least 10 

Not too far from being able to complete it, but far enough that it seems damn near impossible at the moment, LOL! 

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 01:45:51 AM »
;D

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 04:48:19 PM »
Nice, those numbers are not far off. Within 90% actually on everything except the clean and press.