Author Topic: Jump rope for cardio?  (Read 2919 times)

Brooks

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Jump rope for cardio?
« on: December 07, 2005, 08:00:36 AM »
Is jump roping a good source to do my cardio? If so would it start to lean out my arms and take size away? I need to keep all the size I can with my skinny arms.

Thanks!

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Jump rope for cardio?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 08:27:25 AM »
Yes rope skipping is an excellent cardio exercise. Once you get your timing down than you can advance to a speed rope, which boxers use. This will burn fat and if you skinny arms have a layer of fat around them than you will lose arm size. You will not lose muscle size from just jumping rope. If you drop all other arms exercises in your workouts and just do heavy BB regular and reverse curls and weighted dips with the body held in a straight up position (no leaning forward) and DB lying French presses than you will, after a while, have muscular arms. Twice a week of arm exercises is fine. With true muscular arms you will not have to worry about losing any arm size from jumping rope or any other cardio pursuit. Good Luck.

Brooks

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 08:38:25 AM »
Just what I needed to know. Thanks.

Brooks

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 08:52:44 AM »
One more question.  What's a lying French press? I can't find a description anywhere.

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 06:26:17 PM »
just another name for skull crushers or lying triceps extensions.  Jumping rope is great!, especially for the calves!

Brooks

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 07:08:39 AM »
Ah yes, scull crushers. I love those. I stated jump roping last night and damn, it does get the calves.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2005, 08:44:02 AM »
Sorry but I mislabeled the lying triceps press as the French press. The French press is done either standing or sitting (BB/DB) and gives a different angle to the triceps. The lying tricep press is a different style, it is not a skull crushers exercise. Good Luck.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2005, 09:31:51 AM »
I used to run around town while jumping rope.  At stop light I would try to do 50 quick ones before the light changed.  I was jump/running one day though and tripped myself going across the crosswalk and all the cars started beeping their horns.  I was very embarassed.  I think that was the last time I did that.  But it was a great way to jog.

Brooks

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2005, 10:18:52 AM »
LOL... I probably would have honked at you too  ;D   That's sound like a damn good cardio work out though.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2005, 05:43:20 PM »
I used to run around town while jumping rope.  At stop light I would try to do 50 quick ones before the light changed.  I was jump/running one day though and tripped myself going across the crosswalk and all the cars started beeping their horns.  I was very embarassed.  I think that was the last time I did that.  But it was a great way to jog.

What's the point of honking if some huge dude has fallen head-over-heels in the middle of the road....i'm sure he realizes his mistake has caused him to be an obstruction....

That does sound like a hell of a workout, though.
:-)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2005, 06:30:18 AM »
I always like to jump rope singing songs like, Johnny and Linda sitting in a tree, KISSING, first comes love.   Seriously it's a great cardio activity but I find it hard to stand in one place for 20 minutes jumping.  I have to go out side and run, walk or bike.  Even treadmill work I can take.  Standing there jumping rope is tough. 

Has anyone used one of those weighted jump ropes?

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2005, 08:47:21 AM »
I've use the Heavy Rope but don't remember the weight of it ( came in different weights/sizes). Great when using the Tabata method.  Tend to wear out too fast though, at least the one I used. Takes getting use to. Don't have to stand in one place to jump rope, try going up a hill while jumping rope... good cardio. Good Luck.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2005, 09:31:13 AM »
Maybe people thought that was a cattle crossing and a big  bull fell on the ground, not knowing it was Onlyme. Might of also thought that that jump rope was a regular rope that went though his nose ring. Who knows?

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2005, 09:32:03 AM »
Back when I was doing the jump rope thing I weighed about 220.  I was still playing baseball and only lifted to stay in shape.  I wouldn't think of it at a heavier weight

apk19

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2005, 06:08:05 PM »

Sorry dude, but that would've been some funny shit to see!

I skip in the garage listening to my iPod shuffle. After a track, I take a quick break (drink some water) and get back into it. Passes the time and creates intervals of roughly 3-5 mins.

runnerbabe

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2005, 03:07:54 AM »
I always like to jump rope singing songs like, Johnny and Linda sitting in a tree, KISSING, first comes love

Has anyone used one of those weighted jump ropes?

Yes, I use one routinely and it's great.

Check out this link for info on jumping
http://www.jumpropeinstitute.com/

And this one for info on rhymes...LOL

http://www.beachnet.com/~jeanettem/chants.html