Author Topic: The 90's were the golden age of bodybuilding.  (Read 30942 times)

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
Re: The 90's were the golden age of bodybuilding.
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2013, 05:49:43 PM »
Ummmmmm NO that's not what I said , as far as structure is concerned his wasn't special a perfect structure is Bob Paris or Steve Reeves , Flex was narrow his delts and arms overpowered his torso his balance wasn't spectacular , what made Flex very unique was his shape , muscle roundness and symmetry and small joints , he had a very light frame ( natural ectomorph )

So tiny joints,proportions and narrow hips aren't structural, as well as limb length, ribcage etc. ?  he wasn't the widest guy on earth but he wasn't narrow...especially considering how small his hips were. he had an amazing structure.

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2013, 05:52:10 PM »
so you're saying it wasn't his structure that was great, it was his structure ?

;D

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2013, 06:06:36 PM »
So tiny joints,proportions and narrow hips aren't structural, as well as limb length, ribcage etc. ?  he wasn't the widest guy on earth but he wasn't narrow...especially considering how small his hips were. he had an amazing structure.

No the small waist & hips and tiny joints are more to do with being symmetrical which he stood alone , but as far as structure his was not special not like Paris , Reeves or Cormier , he was narrow but it wasn't as obvious as Heath because he has such small waist & hips.

Reminds me when Nasser was commenting on his contemporaries

Flex Wheeler, at first glance, seems to have a balanced physique.
People do talk about his “nice lines,” but he has them because some essential muscle mass is missing from his frame. For instance, when he does the abs – and – thighs pose, his lats disappear. Take away his arms and you are left with a juvenile body. I am 5’11” and compete at 285LBS; Flex is an inch shorter and competes – he says – at 224LBS, but I think he is about 10LBS lighter. He has a small waist for sure, but he also has a big butt and narrow shoulders, just like Shawn Ray. Check abs shots of both of these guys. I call Flex the Lord of Illusion.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2013, 06:14:19 PM »
This pose illustrates the point about his lacking torso and structure

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2013, 06:16:13 PM »
His structure wasn't that special it's his shape , symmetry and proportions that were unique

Ummmmmm NO that's not what I said , as far as structure is concerned his wasn't special a perfect structure is Bob Paris or Steve Reeves , Flex was narrow his delts and arms overpowered his torso his balance wasn't spectacular , what made Flex very unique was his shape , muscle roundness and symmetry and small joints , he had a very light frame ( natural ectomorph )

No the small waist & hips and tiny joints are more to do with being symmetrical which he stood alone , but as far as structure his was not special not like Paris , Reeves or Cormier , he was narrow but it wasn't as obvious as Heath because he has such small waist & hips.

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2013, 06:24:58 PM »
This pose illustrates the point about his lacking torso and structure

Great pic to show someone's  structure  ::)

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2013, 06:28:37 PM »

Reminds me when Nasser was commenting on his contemporaries

Flex Wheeler, at first glance, seems to have a balanced physique.
People do talk about his “nice lines,” but he has them because some essential muscle mass is missing from his frame. For instance, when he does the abs – and – thighs pose, his lats disappear. Take away his arms and you are left with a juvenile body. I am 5’11” and compete at 285LBS; Flex is an inch shorter and competes – he says – at 224LBS, but I think he is about 10LBS lighter. He has a small waist for sure, but he also has a big butt and narrow shoulders, just like Shawn Ray. Check abs shots of both of these guys. I call Flex the Lord of Illusion.

Sorry but I'm not taking the word of" Bitter about everboty " who beat him as the gospel. I'll use my own two eyes.

He had a great frame, Structure is more than just the width of your clavicles, those are two bones in your body out of 206. Joints, limb length, bone thickness and shape are all part of your structure, as is the way, and the where... your muscles attach to your body, they attach to bone via ligaments, and the shape and placement of these bones, along with your muscle bellies,and they way it all fits together determine your appearance. it's all part of your structure.

The only one of those guys you mentioned with a better structure than Flex was Cormier, and he lacked roundness and that 3-d "pop" to his muscles. but his structure was perfect.

PS "small waist and hips" is part of your structure, or do only collarbones count?

Neptune100

• Getbig III
« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2013, 06:57:07 PM »
If anyone was worthy of being a Mr. O who never became Mr. O it was Flex Wheeler.  He had 3 2nd place finishes at the O and lost to only 3 of the best physiques(Dorian 93 Ronnie 98-99) to ever hit a bodybuilding stage.  Flex's genetics and structure were what got him to the pros and all of his titles.  If anything Flex underachieved, but it was his natural gifts that made him great.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2013, 07:16:36 PM »
This. Number one sign of getting old is nostalgic exaggeration.

Same shit with people complaining about Getbig all the time. Get over it and live in the moment a little!

Great guys in every era and this current one is pretty damn impressive.
It is the contest battles that determine how much excitement an era has .
Start with Arnold vs Sergio , then Zane vs his rivals , Mentzer vs Robby, Lee haney vs Gaspari, Ronnie vs Jay, now we have Kai vs Heath.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #134 on: January 11, 2013, 08:05:08 PM »
imho.......shawn and flex were both much better bodybuilders than nasser el sonbaty.

nasser was a total mess.......while flex and shawn were both very pleasing to the eye.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #135 on: January 11, 2013, 08:28:53 PM »
imho.......shawn and flex were both much better bodybuilders than nasser el sonbaty.

nasser was a total mess.......while flex and shawn were both very pleasing to the eye.
shawn and flex were better
but nasser was by no means a mess....
what makes him a mess
choice is an illusion

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #136 on: January 11, 2013, 08:49:10 PM »
shawn and flex were better
but nasser was by no means a mess....
what makes him a mess
no thickness in the back......oil in the shoulders and possibly the arms......not a very pleasing physique.....just my 2 cents though.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2013, 08:52:02 PM »
  Structure is structure

Neptune100

• Getbig III
« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2013, 09:12:24 PM »
no thickness in the back......oil in the shoulders and possibly the arms......not a very pleasing physique.....just my 2 cents though.

Nasser lost respect when he oiled up.  In those cases he did look like a mess.  However, Nasser had a phenomenal physique and was truly a monster.  Probably should have had an O victory too.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: January 12, 2013, 01:07:52 AM »
You must be 16... ;D

The 70's were the golden ages of men in things...

erics

• Getbig III
« Reply #140 on: January 12, 2013, 02:59:41 AM »
If anyone was worthy of being a Mr. O who never became Mr. O it was Flex Wheeler.  He had 3 2nd place finishes at the O and lost to only 3 of the best physiques(Dorian 93 Ronnie 98-99) to ever hit a bodybuilding stage.

Flex only looked good in 1993.

After that, the oil made him look shit. The fact that the judges rewarded him despite looking bubbled out with oil is a testament to how useless judges can be.

In 1999, Chris Cormier laid a fat turd all over Wheeler. The judges, however thought it was an extra muscle and gave Wheeler second spot over Cormier.

Flex Wheeler...  ::)

closeline

• Getbig IV
« Reply #141 on: January 12, 2013, 03:20:22 AM »
Aaron was as narrow as Phil. His conditioning was hit or miss.  You're insane. His back is standout (one of the best all time), his legs are standout (some of the best all time). He's balanced and if you're balanced as you should be, not to much should stand out. No one from the 90s is better than Kai outside of Dorian and Ronnie. Please post photos to prove your point.

Woman s traps and valvoline bis on this midget black dude with the bloated midsection

Btw

Baker was indeed the better Heath

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #142 on: January 12, 2013, 04:10:19 AM »
Great guys in every era and this current one is pretty damn impressive.
It is the contest battles that determine how much excitement an era has .
Start with Arnold vs Sergio , then Zane vs his rivals , Mentzer vs Robby, Lee haney vs Gaspari, Ronnie vs Jay, now we have Kai vs Heath.
kai vs Heath is a blip on the radar.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2013, 04:16:14 AM »
You guys are insane. Please post shots that are not Ronnie or Dorian from the 90s that beats this. Please show me. "10 names please!" They need to be CONTEST PHOTOS.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2013, 04:26:23 AM »
You guys are insane. Please post shots that are not Ronnie or Dorian from the 90s that beats this. Please show me. "10 names please!" They need to be CONTEST PHOTOS.
Wiggs, I never said that Kai or Heath weren't great.  They are just 2 great pros out of a weak-ass roster.  The 90's had the best collection of talent (from top to bottom) of any era.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #145 on: January 12, 2013, 04:46:31 AM »
 :o

the 90s were amazing
Flower Boy Ran Away

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #146 on: January 12, 2013, 04:48:31 AM »

Sorry but I'm not taking the word of" Bitter about everboty " who beat him as the gospel. I'll use my own two eyes.

He had a great frame, Structure is more than just the width of your clavicles, those are two bones in your body out of 206. Joints, limb length, bone thickness and shape are all part of your structure, as is the way, and the where... your muscles attach to your body, they attach to bone via ligaments, and the shape and placement of these bones, along with your muscle bellies,and they way it all fits together determine your appearance. it's all part of your structure.

The only one of those guys you mentioned with a better structure than Flex was Cormier, and he lacked roundness and that 3-d "pop" to his muscles. but his structure was perfect.

PS "small waist and hips" is part of your structure, or do only collarbones count?

He may be bitter but he has a point. And I did use my own two eyes as well

I agree structure is more than just wide clavicles , which is why I also said he had he was lacking in the balance department which is also part of structure , his arms & delts overpowered his torso , superheavy weights arms and a middle weights torso , quads to big for his calves also part of structure , Flex was a force from the front & back but wasn't from the sides because his torso lagged behind , his side triceps was okay but nothing special , despite having advantages in symmetry and shape his lats spreads were just okay and why? his structure

Nonsense , Paris , Reeves smoke Flex in structure

See above

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #147 on: January 12, 2013, 04:56:54 AM »
What the hell, never seen that. Instantly one of the most impressive bb pics in my book. Oliva like.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #148 on: January 12, 2013, 05:05:10 AM »
What the hell, never seen that. Instantly one of the most impressive bb pics in my book. Oliva like.

Looks photoshopped

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #149 on: January 12, 2013, 05:08:02 AM »
 :o