Author Topic: for car experts...  (Read 3880 times)

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
Re: for car experts...
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2013, 12:08:12 PM »
Read my answer. Drive off and keep the revs down to half max for a few minutes. Don't idle a cold engine.

Big Al "time served mechanic and former raf engineer" McKechnie
Why not idle it like letting run a few minutes before take off?

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2013, 12:13:22 PM »
so just drive like an old lady for a few minutes?

so why do you cringe when you see women handling a car in the cold?

I didn't say that,  Rhomboids said it. I was correcting and educating the ignorant masses on here. :D

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2013, 12:17:04 PM »
Why not idle it like letting run a few minutes before take off?
Because oil needs the engine to be turning over around 2000 revs to circulate oil properly to all parts of the engine especially the higher parts around the head , especially if oil is cold and therefore lacking viscocity.  This means when you're engine is reving at 800 rpm cold there will be little oil reaching the head resulting in wear in the top end.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2013, 12:21:01 PM »
Because oil needs the engine to be turning over around 2000 revs to circulate oil properly to all parts of the engine especially the higher parts around the head , especially if oil is cold and therefore lacking viscocity.  This means when you're engine is reving at 800 rpm cold there will be little oil reaching the head resulting in wear in the top end.
So are you saying its best to just start a car and take off getting around 2000 revs?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2013, 12:25:44 PM »
You should give the engine time to warm up the oil and make it more viscous before going above 2 or 3 thousand revs as this prevents head damage due to oil starvation. Just drive away and keep the revs below half max and you will be fine.

Letting a car idle at tickover for a while when cold is worse because little oil will reach the head during that time.

Cars fly when cold because the choke allows more fuel to air ratio to ease starting. This causes the gear jumping.

What if you have a Wankle... Don't you have to wait until the Apex seals are lubed before you run off?

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2013, 12:31:38 PM »
So are you saying its best to just start a car and take off getting around 2000 revs?

yep.

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2013, 12:54:14 PM »
What if you have a Wankle... Don't you have to wait until the Apex seals are lubed before you run off?

The modern Wankle should be treated similar to normal engine. Take it easy for first few miles.

If you have an old type Wankle NSU R080 you are fucked whatever way. I remember them all having fucked seals by 30,000 miles back in the day when I was an apprentice.

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2013, 12:58:19 PM »
"Parker has been surprisingly smart for a black person"  I just spit out my coffee.  ;D

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2013, 01:07:31 PM »
http://quebec.kijiji.ca/c-autos-et-vehicules-autos-et-camions-2005-Suzuki-Aerio-Familiale-W0QQAdIdZ442424087

what do you think of a suzuki aerio hatchback? Small family, not driving often (maybe 4/6 hours a week) and only on short distances. Does it consume more fuel than other asian cars?

I owned a 12 y/o hyundai accent previously but it's costing us too much to maintain/repair, so we re selling it for 3000 bucks.

I really dont know shit about cars, heard that most asian cars whatever the manufacturer are cheap , robust and fuel efficient with easy access to spare parts being well spread...  We dont drive a lot, and ill soon be the only one using it to get to work which is a short distance daily, probably will use it to move big stuff once in a while (hence wanting the hatchback option) but again, using it very very rarely compared to most people.  

So what are the best asian cars? suzuki, hyundai, toyota, kia ? What about north american fords chevy and pontiac?

Because sharing is caring.

Outed

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2013, 01:13:02 PM »
I hope you're trolling but just in case...

If the temp dips below freezing, the internals of your engine are going to be freezing as well.  The purpose of warming up the 'car' is really warming up the fluids that run the car.  Mainly the oil.  The oil has to lubricate all the components that make the car run smoothly.  Not warming up can literally destroy your engine and or shorten its life by a significant amount.  Don't you notice how rough the engine engages a gear in the winter when you go from R to D?   And the car flyes when even without you putting your foot on the gas? 

Treat a car like you do your body. You wouldn't hit the weights in the dead of winter without dressing warm and warming up and stretching, would you?

YES!

The heat also lets the metal parts expand back where they need to be so they're not rattling around, tearing your engine up.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2013, 01:14:24 PM »
Cars fly when cold because the choke allows more fuel to air ratio to ease starting.

No one has a carbureted vehicle with a choke anymore.  What the fuck? ??? ;D

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2013, 01:27:39 PM »
No one has a carbureted vehicle with a choke anymore.  What the fuck? ??? ;D

There's still a computer controlled choking mechanism though... Just not physical.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2013, 01:29:39 PM »
There's still a computer controlled choking mechanism though... Just not physical.

I don't think so?  It couldn't even work on a fuel injected vehicle?

From what I see on google, the fuel injection just richens the fuel/air mixture by squirting more gas, there's no physical choke.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2013, 01:34:19 PM »
I don't think so?  It couldn't even work on a fuel injected vehicle?

From what I see on google, the fuel injection just richens the fuel/air mixture by squirting more gas, there's no physical choke.

Possibly... but I do know that depending on different computer based tunes it can physically change the ratio of gas / oxygen... So there has to be something.

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2013, 01:37:15 PM »
I don't think so?  It couldn't even work on a fuel injected vehicle?

You are correct but I am talking in terms of the function of the choke principle of mixture richening. We are on the topic of older cars which had auto chokes when they still had carbs even tho they didnt have a wee leaver to pull out. The fuel injection allowing less air in the mixture is exactly the same principle as the old mechanical chokes of the past 100 years.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2013, 01:37:54 PM »
You are correct but I am talking in terms of the function of the choke principle of mixture richening. We are on the topic of older cars which had auto chokes when they still had carbs even tho they didnt have a wee leaver to pull out. The fuel injection allowing less air in the mixture is exactly the same principle as the old mechanical chokes of the past 100 years.

Good point, I see what you're saying.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2013, 02:07:33 PM »

NotSure

• Getbig III
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2013, 10:25:04 AM »
::)

Perfect. I was waiting for this and contemplated making it myself. The face personifies the posts perfect. Pissed and full of vinegar and vitriol. Jesus and prayer obviously is not helping his cause.

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2013, 03:59:25 AM »
c

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2013, 04:46:17 AM »
Seriously thinks he can get 3000 for a 12 year old Hyundai?  ::) Maybe 300 if you find a sucker.

Lol good point, in UK you can pick up a 2000 model Hyundai Accent hatch for about £800/$1200  ;D

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2013, 04:51:23 AM »
http://quebec.kijiji.ca/c-autos-et-vehicules-autos-et-camions-2005-Suzuki-Aerio-Familiale-W0QQAdIdZ442424087

what do you think of a suzuki aerio hatchback? Small family, not driving often (maybe 4/6 hours a week) and only on short distances. Does it consume more fuel than other asian cars?

I owned a 12 y/o hyundai accent previously but it's costing us too much to maintain/repair, so we re selling it for 3000 bucks.

I really dont know shit about cars, heard that most asian cars whatever the manufacturer are cheap , robust and fuel efficient with easy access to spare parts being well spread...  We dont drive a lot, and ill soon be the only one using it to get to work which is a short distance daily, probably will use it to move big stuff once in a while (hence wanting the hatchback option) but again, using it very very rarely compared to most people.  

So what are the best asian cars? suzuki, hyundai, toyota, kia ? What about north american fords chevy and pontiac?

Because sharing is caring.

from where a homeless jobless desperate man like you got money to buy a car,.. even a small cheap one?..

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2013, 07:02:29 AM »
You'd think uberman would be driving some some custom Rolls Royce like ones they make for African dictators the way he talks.