Author Topic: Kitten getting me up in the night to play game?  (Read 23469 times)

booty

• Getbig V
Kitten getting me up in the night to play game?
« on: January 14, 2013, 07:45:29 PM »
So I have an adorable 10 month old kitten called Mocha and lately she has been waking me up in the night by banging on my door and then when I open it, she runs away making her talking voice.  I go back to bed and then she does it again.  I get up for the 3rd or 4th time and this time she gets into bed with me and goes to sleep.  But it's every single night and I am getting tired of her bullshit games.  If I don't get up, she will continue to bang at my door and make that squeaking talking noise which keeps me awake so I just get up to her.  What does everyone think?  Is this her way of just playing a cat and mouse game or could she possibly want me to feed her?  I have dried food out for her all the time.  How can I stop this? 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: Kitten getting me up in the night to play game?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 08:31:38 PM »
Leave your door open?

I tend to have very little patience for things like this but all of my experience is with dogs and not cats. If it were a dog I would either ignore it until they stopped or spend an hour or two a night training them. I would try closing the door and acting like you were going to sleep and as soon as they started opening it and correcting the behavior or doing something that corrected the behavior maybe a noise that she doesnt like when she does it.

Im not sure how well cats can be trained but hopefully its in the realm of what dogs can be. Most of the dogs Ive had to train get the idea very quickly but you have to make sure to keep up the training until they fully understand.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 08:49:49 PM »
I can't leave my door open as I have air con on at night.  I might have to yell at her and tell her No.  I had an issue with her biting me on my bum when I went to the toilet a while ago.  I would get up to go to the toilet and she would follow me and then when I was on the toilet seat, she would jump up and bite me on my ass.  After the third night in a row I yelled at her "Mocha NO" and she stopped.  When she wakes me tonight just to run off I will try telling her firmly NO. 

lulu

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 04:14:54 AM »
you're the one getting trained

cats are smarter than what they're given credit for

they're also nocturnal

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 04:43:33 AM »
I am very aware that cats are nocturnal, which is why I let them play at night and come inside by the cat door when they feel like sleeping. 

lulu

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 04:51:58 AM »
I am very aware that cats are nocturnal, which is why I let them play at night and come inside by the cat door when they feel like sleeping.  

so you know then that you are playing the game at night Mocha likes and she taught you how to play

your question was how to stop it

the answer is Ignore her and Stop playing her game

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 08:20:35 AM »
You already let her in just leave the door open.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 10:18:02 PM »
You already let her in just leave the door open.
I have air con running in my bedroom at night.

So update...last night I woke up to Mocha banging and banging on my door.  I didn't get up for a while, I just let her bang and cry away.  When I opened my door she got into bed next to me. 

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 11:43:51 AM »

So update...last night I woke up to Mocha banging and banging on my door.  I didn't get up for a while, I just let her bang and cry away.  When I opened my door she got into bed next to me. 

So? I have an air conditioner and my cats sleep in my room during the summer.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 03:55:36 PM »

Cheers!!!

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 11:24:54 PM »
Hopefully she is a good girl tonight too. 

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 06:19:18 AM »
I can't leave my door open as I have air con on at night.  I might have to yell at her and tell her No.  I had an issue with her biting me on my bum when I went to the toilet a while ago.  I would get up to go to the toilet and she would follow me and then when I was on the toilet seat, she would jump up and bite me on my ass.  After the third night in a row I yelled at her "Mocha NO" and she stopped.  When she wakes me tonight just to run off I will try telling her firmly NO. 

sorry, that was me.  Couldn't help it.   :-[

they have an motion-sensing sprayer for cheap that you can put at your door at night and if she comes close it will sparay water and that can detract her from doing the behavior.  Or really try to tire her out before you go to bed.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 06:39:16 AM »
She started her bullshit games again last night.  I wish she would come to me when she is tired and ready to sleep and not try to get a bit of a play in with me. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 04:49:52 PM »
She started her bullshit games again last night.  I wish she would come to me when she is tired and ready to sleep and not try to get a bit of a play in with me. 
doggie door?

I like migs idea of the motion sensor sprayer too.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 06:00:48 PM »
doggie door?

I like migs idea of the motion sensor sprayer too.
I've got a cat door and she uses it and plays outside until she is ready to come in for the night.  So she should be plenty tired by the time she comes to me.  She's a lazy little thing...she sleeps all day in my bedroom with the air con on.  If she comes out to eat during the day she goes straight back to my room to the air con.  I like the idea of the motion sensor sprayer but I don't want to be mean. 

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 11:19:29 AM »
So she likes to be in a room with aircon huh? Dont put the aircon on for the night in your own bedroom and put a mobile aircon in another room she likes to be in...ill bet she goes there pretty soon to sleep for the night  so you can then turn your aircon on again and go to sleep too....
?

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 04:00:28 PM »
So she likes to be in a room with aircon huh? Dont put the aircon on for the night in your own bedroom and put a mobile aircon in another room she likes to be in...ill bet she goes there pretty soon to sleep for the night  so you can then turn your aircon on again and go to sleep too....

No she likes my bed and sleeping next to me in bed.  I don't have spare bedrooms as my teenagers occupy a room each.  She did it to me again last night..played her little game.  The second time she did it I ignored her and in the end I went back to sleep.  She woke me again to come inside my room and when I opened the door she got into bed with me.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 04:01:33 PM »
Is this a euphemism, boots?
A

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 04:52:56 AM »
No she likes my bed and sleeping next to me in bed.  I don't have spare bedrooms as my teenagers occupy a room each.  She did it to me again last night..played her little game.  The second time she did it I ignored her and in the end I went back to sleep.  She woke me again to come inside my room and when I opened the door she got into bed with me.

But if you dont want her inside your bedroom ..why are you opening your door?
?

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 08:26:16 AM »
So by you not responding anymore Booty i guess the problem is solved?... :)
?

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 10:53:45 PM »
So by you not responding anymore Booty i guess the problem is solved?... :)
Well I haven't responded for 24 hours because there has been no internet or phone lines from Cairns to brisbane.  I have been monitoring Mochas behaviour the past few days but she has started to play other games now.  For the past couple of nights she has been getting on my chest when I am sleeping on my back and that is fine, I am used to it however now she hits me in the face with her paw to wake me up.  I guess she wants me to talk to her or pet her etc.  

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2013, 10:56:38 PM »

But if you dont want her inside your bedroom ..why are you opening your door?
Sorry I didn't see this.  I do want her inside my bedroom but I just want her to come inside when she bangs on the door and not run away because she does this several times and it just disturbs my sleep.

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 05:36:56 AM »
Sorry I didn't see this.  I do want her inside my bedroom but I just want her to come inside when she bangs on the door and not run away because she does this several times and it just disturbs my sleep.

Then leave the door open when you go to bed so she can enter your bedroom when ever she feels like it, and she doesnt have to wake you up because the door is closed. Thats doesnt leave much room for her to make it into a game...
?

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 07:59:18 AM »
Hopefully she grows out of it.....cats are also nocturnal so if she's outside at night she's still probably worked up and ready to play when she first comes in.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 06:39:08 PM »
Hopefully she grows out of it.....cats are also nocturnal so if she's outside at night she's still probably worked up and ready to play when she first comes in.
Yeah I think you are right Calvin.  When Mocha comes to me at night she is all worked up and wants to play and not sleep straight away.  I hope she does grow out of it, as she is only still a kitten.  Right now she is sleeping in my bed with the air con on and she will stay like this all day until the evening.