Author Topic: BFG recommends powerlifting-like training for bodybuilders, not milos-like  (Read 6463 times)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
Most bodybuilders do not train like powerlifters and the ones that do have very short careers the fact is you do not need train like that to get big.
JOJ is a Bber/powerlifter, and he is still competing. Branch Warren may train in a similar fashion. Mike Francois would still be going strong if it weren't for his illness. Mike trained like a powerlifter.
Steve Effering is a powerlifting/Bber and he won his Pro card in his 40s.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
dj181 and closeline, great information, thanks

get this from books or experience?

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
experience

also look at sprinters

the biggest and most muscles ones are the short sprinters ie. 60 meter to 200 meter and they run their events in about 6-20 seconds

the long sprinters ie. 400 meters are not as heavily muscled and they run their event in about 45 seconds

and then you go to mid-distance like 800-1500 meter runners and they have almost no muscle, and elite 800 meter runners run their event in about 100 seconds

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
so are you timing your sets?

how else do you know if you are doing the right loading time

closeline

• Getbig IV
JOJ is a Bber/powerlifter, and he is still competing. Branch Warren may train in a similar fashion. Mike Francois would still be going strong if it weren't for his illness. Mike trained like a powerlifter.
Steve Effering is a powerlifting/Bber and he won his Pro card in his 40s.

good examples

and joj as well as warren do not just lift heavy, they use a lot of momentum

without momentum, you will barley be able to lift so heavy, that you can injure yourself

a weight you can lift with proper form, without momentum is always ok

btw

most injuries,

yates triceps-tear for example, happend after many month of minor injuries going along with inflamations in that area that are not taken care of in the right way

closeline

• Getbig IV
dj181 and closeline, great information, thanks

get this from books or experience?

20+ years of training  ;) in a gym along with many competitors up to olympians

i ve tried everything from 100 rep squats like tom platz did to heavy doubles like olympi lifters

the best look i achive with training style like dorian yates but slower positive movement and a little lower reps on some exercise

this is the  general rule, sometimes i go really high reps ofcourse

you can t go balls to the walls in every workout, sometimes it s time for a new impulse

it helps to build mass and is a grat feeling to do a set like 315 for 50-60 reps of squats, or giantsets for back like pullovers- pullups- bent row wide grip- bent row close grip- lat pulldowns without rest between the sets 6-8 reps per set

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
20+ years of training  ;) in a gym along with many competitors up to olympians

i ve tried everything from 100 rep squats like tom platz did to heavy doubles like olympi lifters

the best look i achive with training style like dorian yates but slower positive movement and a little lower reps on some exercise

this is the  general rule, sometimes i go really high reps ofcourse

you can t go balls to the walls in every workout, sometimes it s time for a new impulse

it helps to build mass and is a grat feeling to do a set like 315 for 50-60 reps of squats, or giantsets for back like pullovers- pullups- bent row wide grip- bent row close grip- lat pulldowns without rest between the sets 6-8 reps per set
ever considered publishing a book on this

basil

• Getbig IV
a lot of bodybuilders agree they don't go under 8-12 reps for upper body, 15-20 reps for lower body

not locking out in between reps, not just moving the weight but squeezing and pumping

this is one school of thought

the other one is about lifting heavy at all cost

obviously the latter one is more dangerous

but what about results, do you respond better to "working the muscle" type training or powerlifting type training?

i was surprised to see BFG reccomend 5x5 type strength training 3-4 times a week max in the off season, go real heavy he said

For longevity, option 1 is the answer, with a smidgen of option 2 sprinkled in to overcome boredom.

closeline

• Getbig IV
so are you timing your sets?

how else do you know if you are doing the right loading time

no

i just know that  1 rep for examples barbell row is approx 1 second for positiv 2 second for negativ for an average of 5 reps equals 15 seconds for a set

coleman for exampel

0.5sec positiv a little under 1 sec for negative, so his reps are much faster

so if he does 15 reps , and it s rare that he goes to failure his sets may very well last much shorter than a set of yates doing 6 reps with slow negativ and 1-2 forced reps

so it s not accurate to go for number instead go for time if talking about heavy

btw i always felt if i go not heavy enough the assistant muscles tend to  fail befor the acctually worked muscles fail

and that s very limiting to muscle mass gains

closeline

• Getbig IV

lol i acctually started writing last summer vacation  ;D

but it is in german , someone would have to translate it, because my english is not so good

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️

i think that there are general guidelines, but in the end you gotta find/figure out what works best for you as an individual

closeline

• Getbig IV
i think that there are general guidelines, but in the end you gotta find/figure out what works best for you as an individual

can t fully agree

95 percent have to lift heavy to build mass to look like a real bodybuilder

and if you look close, the other 5 percent are blown up and miss quality if they choose to compete

exceptions are beginners for the first month

to hold the main part of the muscles you allready have you can go much lighter ofcourse,

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
can t fully agree

95 percent have to lift heavy to build mass to look like a real bodybuilder

and if you look close, the other 5 percent are blown up and miss quality if they choose to compete

exceptions are beginners for the first month

to hold the main part of the muscles you allready have you can go much lighter ofcourse,

well man, the gospel is progressive overload so that's first and foremost

basically.... BIGGER TRAINING LOADS=BIGGER MUSCLES

but there's different ways to train to enable oneself to add weight to the bar

the best way for me is very low volume with a limited amount of exercises (all compound moves) with higher frequency (2 or even 3 times per week)

Hise's abbreviated training for example

closeline

• Getbig IV
well man, the gospel is progressive overload so that's first and foremost

basically.... BIGGER TRAINING LOADS=BIGGER MUSCLES

but there's different ways to train to enable oneself to add weight to the bar

the best way for me is very low volume with a limited amount of exercises (all compound moves) with higher frequency (2 or even 3 times per week)

Hise's abbreviated training for example

yes , dj181

i fully agree with that

low volume, allways increase weight, as far as i can say that after 20+ years of training

to be honest, i think to make continuing gains over such a long period , you have to alternate the intensty and most off all (sadly) up the dosage or use new stuff 

depending on rest possible during the week
 i go with 3 or 4 times a week as well

sometimes for shorter perionds, not longer than 3 weeks, i go with 2 on 1 off to max out strengh or mass